Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Oh, I love Brotherhood of the Wolf. I've been trying to see both The Advocate and Valmont, but they are so drat hard to get ahold of, last time I checked.

I love Barry Lyndon and The Duellists but my wife is just bored to tears by both of them :reject:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider

1 800 J JAMES posted:

Brotherhood of the Wolf with er Vincent Cassel and Monica Belucci which has period costume and kung fu.

I thought the fighting was supposed to be savate being French and all.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Halloween Jack posted:

Thank you all for the swashbuckling recommendations. In that vein, would anyone share their favourite period dramas, generally? I've really enjoyed The Lion in Winter, The Name of the Rose, Amadeus, Dangerous Liaisons, The Madness of King George, the Elizabeth films, and of course Barry Lyndon. Anything set in the 19th century or older, I suppose. I'm pretty undereducated on samurai film and non-Western film in general that isn't 70s Shaw Brothers kung fu, but I liked 47 Ronin a lot.

The Passion of Joan of Arc is every bit as good as its reputation makes it out to be. 12 Years a Slave if you somehow didn't see it. Yojimbo's my favourite Kurosawa & samurai film, although it's not something I've dug too far into either really. I also adore The New World -- just rewatched it this week and found it even better than I remembered -- but it's the kind of thing I feel hesitant to recommend because it's incredibly polarising and definitely too long. The last 50 minutes makes it worthwhile, though. It's not really a traditional period drama so may not even be what you're after, but if you've seen and liked any other recent Malick I'd say go for it; if you don't really like him then steer well, well clear. It won't win you over.

Also it's a bit late now but specific recommendations like this should probably go in the recommendation megathread :shobon:

Allyn fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 22, 2015

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Halloween Jack posted:

Thank you all for the swashbuckling recommendations. In that vein, would anyone share their favourite period dramas, generally? I've really enjoyed The Lion in Winter, The Name of the Rose, Amadeus, Dangerous Liaisons, The Madness of King George, the Elizabeth films, and of course Barry Lyndon. Anything set in the 19th century or older, I suppose. I'm pretty undereducated on samurai film and non-Western film in general that isn't 70s Shaw Brothers kung fu, but I liked 47 Ronin a lot.

The Age of Innocence

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

anticake posted:

I thought the fighting was supposed to be savate being French and all.

Well the native American character flips out most of all so let's just say Sinanju.

On a more medical note, A Royal Affair and Restoration are good.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Gangs of New York has a helluva cast. I really wish there was Boss Tweed spin-off though, especially if it concentrated on the secret subway.

Blind Azathoth
Jul 28, 2006
Dia ad aghaidh's ad aodaun... agus bas dunarch ort! Dhonas 's dholas ort, agus leat-sa!... Ungl unl... rrlh ... chchch...

Halloween Jack posted:

A Man for All Seasons, Becket, Marketa Lazarová, Glory... Are you interested in Westerns at all? Some of my favorite historical films fall within that genre. The Man with No Name trilogy, Once Upon a Time in the West, High Noon, Little Big Man, the wonderful Australian western The Proposition, etc.

For samurai stuff, there's Harakiri, Samurai Rebellion, Sword of Doom, and plenty of Kurosawa films, of which my favorites are Rashomon, Yojimbo, Ran, and The Seven Samurai. A lot of people like the Samurai trilogy about Musashi Miyamoto, but I haven't seen those.

If you're interested in more modern Chinese martial arts films, check out Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Hero,, and House of Flying Daggers. And for a less fantastical movie, definitely watch Red Cliff -- the full version in two parts, not the version that's been edited down to a single two-hour movie.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

ALFbrot posted:

Well, one out of two ain't bad, I guess.

I've never seen Happy Feet but judging by the conservative outrage at a singing penguin movie having a story about religion being a lie and global warming being real it must have done something right.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Halloween Jack posted:

I guess you are spoiled for choice already but The Leopard, McCabe and Mrs. Miller, and The Assassination of Jesse James come to mind as significant, on top what's been said.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

dogcrash truther posted:

Hi there, here's my question. I've been poking around online and can't come up with anything particularly good because I don't have the knowledge, but I am looking for inspirational/wise quotations that are either from Godzilla movies or by actors, directors, composers etc. who were associated with the Godzilla franchise. Bonus points for quotes that are from better-known or better-regarded movies in the franchise, from characters who are fan favorites, or from folks like Ishiro Honda or Akira Ikufube who are strongly connected to the movies.

Thanks!

I haven't found much wisdom or inspiration contained in those films. They mainly showcase the futility of hardheaded military men trying to kill Godzilla and other large monsters and also foolhardy businessmen trying to make a quick buck. Many of the characters are dunces.

One of the funnier segments I've seen is contained in Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster where Godzilla, Rodan and Mothra have a philosophical debate as to whether or not they'll team up to fight Monster Zero AKA King Ghidorah (translated by the twin fairies):

"Godzilla says he has no reason to help humans. Humans always make trouble.

Rodan says he agrees.

Mothra is saying "Don't fight anymore. It's no use."

But Godzilla and Rodan both want an apology."

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Blind Azathoth posted:

A Man for All Seasons, Becket, Marketa Lazarová, Glory... Are you interested in Westerns at all? Some of my favorite historical films fall within that genre. The Man with No Name trilogy, Once Upon a Time in the West, High Noon, Little Big Man, the wonderful Australian western The Proposition, etc.

For samurai stuff, there's Harakiri, Samurai Rebellion, Sword of Doom, and plenty of Kurosawa films, of which my favorites are Rashomon, Yojimbo, Ran, and The Seven Samurai. A lot of people like the Samurai trilogy about Musashi Miyamoto, but I haven't seen those.

If you're interested in more modern Chinese martial arts films, check out Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Hero,, and House of Flying Daggers. And for a less fantastical movie, definitely watch Red Cliff -- the full version in two parts, not the version that's been edited down to a single two-hour movie.

I really like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. I think that Hero is okay, pretty, but has a pretty terrible message. Likewise, I dislike House of Flying Daggers, because despite being visual stunning, I think the gender roles and "love triangle" are pretty problematic. It's about a "tragic" love triangle, but both men attempt to rape the woman of their mutual affection at different points in the story. While I understand that this may be historically realistic, it makes it impossible for me to emotionally invest in story

All of the other suggestions are good. Now, in order to be laughed out of the thread, I have to admit that I think Kung Fu Panda is an absolutely awesome movie. Yes it's a cartoon, made by white people, about Kung Fu stereotypes. But it's really a love letter to genre as well. Dustin Hoffman and Ian McShane are pretty great in it.

edit: V Thanks, both for the recommendation and for pointing out that I noobed up my tags.

Snak fucked around with this message at 06:22 on May 23, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Snak posted:

I really like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. I think that Hero is okay, pretty, but has a pretty terrible message. Likewise, I dislike House of Flying Daggers, because despite being visual stunning, I think the gender roles and "love triangle" are pretty problematic. It's about a "tragic" love triangle, but both men attempt to rape the woman of their mutual affection at different points in the story. While I understand that this may be historically realistic, it makes it impossible for me to emotionally invest in story

All of the other suggestions are good. Now, in order to be laughed out of the thread, I have to admit that I think Kung Fu Panda is an absolutely awesome movie. Yes it's a cartoon, made by white people, about Kung Fu stereotypes. But it's really a love letter to genre as well. Dustin Hoffman and Ian McShane are pretty great in it.

You should check out The Emperor and The Assassin, it's a less stylized take on the same legend as Hero, and at least my take away from it was that it had a very different moral. Oh, and fix your tags.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Halloween Jack posted:

Braveheart, Rob Roy, Princess Bride, Master and Commander, Conan the Barbarian, Ben-Hur, 2001, Clockwork Orange, Battle of Algiers, Stalag 17, Paths of Glory, Crouching Tiger, Fearless (Jet Li), Legend of Drunken Master, etc.

There are a lot of movies based on musketeer-ish stuff, like a dozen or so that are worth watching.

Guess I missed that you said 19th century or older, but whatever that's still all good stuff.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 09:40 on May 23, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh, and it's a terrible movie, but if you want to watch a lot of crazy sword fights, check out The Musketeer. It's not a very good film, but it's action is really great. It's a very simplified retelling of the Three Musketeers story, except all the action is crazy Hong Kong martial arts choreography. Trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuJlF0UpQoA

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

effectual posted:

Braveheart, Rob Roy, Princess Bride, Master and Commander, Conan the Barbarian, Ben-Hur, 2001, Clockwork Orange, Battle of Algiers, Stalag 17, Paths of Glory, Crouching Tiger, Fearless (Jet Li), Legend of Drunken Master, etc.

Speaking of Master and Commander, why hasn't there been another one? Maybe it's just a personal enjoyment for the film but most everyone I talk to really enjoyed it, and there is plenty of source material for the further adventures of Aubrey and Maturin.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

FreshFeesh posted:

Speaking of Master and Commander, why hasn't there been another one? Maybe it's just a personal enjoyment for the film but most everyone I talk to really enjoyed it, and there is plenty of source material for the further adventures of Aubrey and Maturin.

It didn't make enough money to justify more films to the higher-ups. But whatever, if I were in charge, I'd give Peter Weir a blank check.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Ocean shoots are expensive and difficult. It's either extremely complicated practical shoots or heavy fx work. In M&C it was a lot of both, and the box office didn't show enough demand for the genre to justify anymore. Ridley Scott was trying to get a napoleonic naval epic off the ground around the same time and funding fell apart for the same reason.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

When I watched Master & Commander, the audience applauded when Bettany surgeried himself successfully.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

FaradayCage posted:

Just finished watching In the Bedroom. (It's streaming on Netflix).

At around 1:58:30, Willis said: "Stopped into his little shed there once. Place reeked. The guy spilled more whiskey than we ever drunk. We'll just pray he's already three sheets to the wind."

I have no idea who "the guy" is that he's referring to.

Anyone know the movie or wanna give it a go on Netflix and help me out? (Critics loved it, btw)

Willis is talking about the guy who raises and lowers the bridge they just crossed. They're being seen by a witness driving the car of someone they just murdered, which is a big hole in their plan.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Insidious 2 was written after the fact right? Not planned?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Insidious 2 was written after the fact right? Not planned?

After the fact of what? Making it?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

After the fact of what? Making it?

I think he means "they didn't have an Insidious 2 planned out when they made Insidious 1."

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Snapchat A Titty posted:

When I watched Master & Commander, the audience applauded when Bettany surgeried himself successfully.

M&C is amazing. I really love that movie

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Why did everyone hate that movie? I thought it was cool

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

cheerfullydrab posted:

Willis is talking about the guy who raises and lowers the bridge they just crossed. They're being seen by a witness driving the car of someone they just murdered, which is a big hole in their plan.

THANK you!

That was bugging the hell out of me.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Why did everyone hate that movie? I thought it was cool

Which? Insidious 2 or Master and Commander? If M&C, I don't think anyone hated it. It's just no one saw it. I thinks is a movie whose audience is more likely to watch on video than in a theater, which is not good for studios.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Master and Commander also happened right around the transition of the movie industry into today's model of ultra-cheap indie movies and big-budget blockbusters and not much in the middle. The Aubrey/Maturin series would be better as one of today's big TV shows.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Sleeveless posted:

I've never seen Happy Feet but judging by the conservative outrage at a singing penguin movie having a story about religion being a lie and global warming being real it must have done something right.

I'm all for outraging conservatives, but the movies are a mess from any viewpoint.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

So I saw Stalker over the weekend, and I've been mulling over it ever since. The last film that had me mulling like this was Mulholland Drive, so it will probably be one of my favorites in about a month or two once I have my head wrapped around it. There's two big reoccurring symbols that I don't quite get though: what was going on with the train noise / classical music throughout the movie, and similarly are people's interpretations of the dog? I feel like there's a significance to both of those that just haven't clicked for me yet.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

Nolanar posted:

So I saw Stalker over the weekend, and I've been mulling over it ever since. The last film that had me mulling like this was Mulholland Drive, so it will probably be one of my favorites in about a month or two once I have my head wrapped around it. There's two big reoccurring symbols that I don't quite get though: what was going on with the train noise / classical music throughout the movie, and similarly are people's interpretations of the dog? I feel like there's a significance to both of those that just haven't clicked for me yet.

Not sure about the sound stuff beyond setting a mood.

The dog, though, I take to be simply a contrast. Humans seek answers. We want what we can't have. A dog's needs are much simpler. Throw some stale ground beef in his food dish and give him a scratch behind the ears, and he's happy. He don't need no stinking Room in a Zone. As such, he can move around in the Zone with complete impunity.

I could be way off on that, though.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Secret Agent X23 posted:

Not sure about the sound stuff beyond setting a mood.

The dog, though, I take to be simply a contrast. Humans seek answers. We want what we can't have. A dog's needs are much simpler. Throw some stale ground beef in his food dish and give him a scratch behind the ears, and he's happy. He don't need no stinking Room in a Zone. As such, he can move around in the Zone with complete impunity.

I could be way off on that, though.

That definitely makes sense, especially taken in complement to similar media (like the dog giving zero fucks for the hallway and using the entrance like a doggy door in House of Leaves). But the black dog in Stalker seems to show up specifically at major plot points. We hear it howling in the distance when they first enter the Zone, it shows up on screen for the first time(?) when the Zone starts doing things the Stalker doesn't understand (and may or may not come right up to him and comfort him), it comes in to watch the confrontation outside the Room, and then it comes home with him at the end.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Sleeveless posted:

It's also pretty blatant in its pro-gay-rights subtext, as well. To the point where some Senator was bashing the movie for being homosexual propaganda, but everyone was like "No, you dummy, it's just a movie about singing penguins!". But no, it's seriously homosexual propaganda. And that's great.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Nolanar posted:

That definitely makes sense, especially taken in complement to similar media (like the dog giving zero fucks for the hallway and using the entrance like a doggy door in House of Leaves). But the black dog in Stalker seems to show up specifically at major plot points. We hear it howling in the distance when they first enter the Zone, it shows up on screen for the first time(?) when the Zone starts doing things the Stalker doesn't understand (and may or may not come right up to him and comfort him), it comes in to watch the confrontation outside the Room, and then it comes home with him at the end.

It's been a while since I've seen Stalker and would want to watch it again before commenting on such specific details. But would appearances at these specific moments be inconsistent with what I suggested? I mean, I'm not sure without a fresh viewing—just asking.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Secret Agent X23 posted:

It's been a while since I've seen Stalker and would want to watch it again before commenting on such specific details. But would appearances at these specific moments be inconsistent with what I suggested? I mean, I'm not sure without a fresh viewing—just asking.

It doesn't contradict what you said, I just feel like there's something else going on in addition is all. It's hard to articulate without actually knowing what that something else is.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Nolanar posted:

It's hard to articulate without actually knowing what that something else is.

That cryptic feeling you're having is exactly what Tarkovsky was going for. There is no true explanation because that would be like explaining God.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Kull the Conqueror posted:

That cryptic feeling you're having is exactly what Tarkovsky was going for. There is no true explanation because that would be like explaining God.

If it's a matter of digging into Tarkovsky's own intentions, I'd suggest that this is probably the way to look at it. I'm doubtful that further analysis would reveal much. Maybe the explanation is that he just happened to be there and Tarkovsky thought, "Hey, free actor." On the other hand, that doesn't mean it's pointless to say, "Hmmm...what do you make of that dog?"

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
He had crazy subconscious inspiration for a lot of of his creative decisions. He also hated critics who sought to assign metaphors and symbols to his work. I'm not saying he's got autonomy over how to watch the movie or anything, but I think I've found that any of his motifs are beyond rational articulation. I hope you didn't think I was trying to shut you down. I'm just jazzed somebody watched that great movie.

Hell, this guy took a crazy stab at talking about it a few years ago and it's not a bad read.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

He uses that dog (or a similar one) in several of his movies, and in a way that always seems to have a lot of thematic weight. Especially in Nostalghia (which desperately needs an HD release. I'd name it as his most beautiful film, yet its only video form is a DVD of minimal quality)

As for its purpose, I don't know exactly, although I've read analysis of his symbolism from a catholic perspective (he was pretty serious about his catholicism) and it all fit really tightly and cleanly from that angle. I can't recall any of it because its not an angle that interests me and the more popular readings about the struggle to find meaning were always more captivating.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 27, 2015

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Bugblatter posted:

He uses that dog (or a similar one) in several of his movies, and in a way that always seems to have a lot of thematic weight. Especially in Nostalghia (which desperately needs an HD release. I'd name it as his most beautiful film, yet its only video form is a DVD of minimal quality)

It got one. :)

Bugblatter posted:

he was pretty serious about his catholicism

Orthodox. :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Kull the Conqueror posted:

He had crazy subconscious inspiration for a lot of of his creative decisions. He also hated critics who sought to assign metaphors and symbols to his work. I'm not saying he's got autonomy over how to watch the movie or anything, but I think I've found that any of his motifs are beyond rational articulation. I hope you didn't think I was trying to shut you down. I'm just jazzed somebody watched that great movie.

Hell, this guy took a crazy stab at talking about it a few years ago and it's not a bad read.

Oh, no, speaking for myself, I didn't think that. My comment about "that doesn't mean it's pointless" was just to try to clarify my own idea.

I think it's fair to consider how anything you see or hear in a movie fits into the overall piece of work. Maybe Tarkovsky had the dog there for no other reason than because, well, why not? But still, that dog is going to cause a reaction; he's going to resonate with the viewer in some way unless that viewer is just sitting there wondering when the hell he's going to start seeing titties flopping around or cars chasing each other through a downtown area (both of which are indeed very worthy ideas for movie scenes, I must hasten to add). I don't think I'd want to say that Tarkovsky meant the dog to symbolize God or whatever, but I do think it's valid to say that in my mind, I can make that fella fit into the fabric of the film if I think of him as this simple creature with simple needs.

I'm going to have to pull the DVD off the shelf pretty soon, I think.