Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

graybook posted:

Nico Minoru?

Is Nico the only Runaways character anyone remembers? :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think Chase is dead.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Anything with the name Kirby on it is worth a look. I'm also going to say with Stan Lee. Lee and loving Moebius on Surfer and Galactus.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'm surprised no one has mentioned how overemotional and out of character Nico seems to act in A-Force. Of course, we can just say "Yeah but it's a different Nico Minoru who went through a different life than the original and had different experiences so of course she'd act differently!" but then that just highlights one of the biggest weaknesses of these Elseworlds things. Why should I care about versions of characters that are those characters in name only? In some alternate universe stories, we could see that "X character acts differently because Y thing happened differently in this universe and that's what makes the universe interesting," but it seems a lot of these Battleworld cases are just characters acting in arbitrarily out-of-characters ways because the SPACE MAGIC of Doom made it so or whatever.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I fear the SPACE MAGIC of Doom

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

IUG posted:

But sound has mass and light does not.

*head explodes*

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

A Tin Of Beans posted:

They were all good. Of course, all Runaways except the first were poop, so I can't blame people for forgetting.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Telex posted:

Banshee flies by loving whilstling so lets just not really go suggesting the impossibilities of physics in the marvel universe.

It's just one of those things where the more things are explained, the sillier they become. Dazzler's "I turn sound into light!" has always been something of an albatross for the character, since it generally just raises more questions than it solves. I'm reminded of an issue of X-Men where Magneto points out they're using ceramic missiles against them, and then disassembles them anyway, and you're like "Why did Claremont explain that only to ignore it?"

After all, Banshee doesn't just fly just by screaming, he also has psionic powers that funnel the force of his scream backwards. That's right, he can make his butt scream.

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Most of us are still trying to forget Klara Prast, at least. :(

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I like Klara!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned how overemotional and out of character Nico seems to act in A-Force. Of course, we can just say "Yeah but it's a different Nico Minoru who went through a different life than the original and had different experiences so of course she'd act differently!" but then that just highlights one of the biggest weaknesses of these Elseworlds things. Why should I care about versions of characters that are those characters in name only? In some alternate universe stories, we could see that "X character acts differently because Y thing happened differently in this universe and that's what makes the universe interesting," but it seems a lot of these Battleworld cases are just characters acting in arbitrarily out-of-characters ways because the SPACE MAGIC of Doom made it so or whatever.

America is basically her sister in Battleworld continuity.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

What is it with you always telling me things I already know?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I keep giving you the benefit of the doubt and never learn from it, I guess.

If you had somehow missed that, then I can see thinking she was overly emotional. But her sister just got a death sentence. Pretty good reason for tears. Did you not read Secret Wars #2 and see what being sent to the Shield means?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I had a harder time seeing all those heroes in A-Force go along with Doom's dumb-rear end shenanigans as far as character swerves go. I know, different reality and all that, but if you want to talk about having heroes feel out of character, nearly everybody feels a little out of character there for me.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I imagine that's going to be a persistent problem with all the Battleworld tie-ins, where every once in a while the story is just gonna be forced to come to a halt in order to remind everyone that, yes, all of this still takes place in Suck Doom's Dick Land.

As far as Nico goes, no matter how close she was to America, she still comes across as a desperate hysterical teenager instead of the stalwart world-weary teenage leader that she was. Like, the most major trait I would attribute to mainstream Nico is "battle-hardened" and the most major trait I would attribute to A-Force Nico is "not battle-hardened." Of course it's easy to absolve the discrepancy with the context that the two Nicos have had completely different lives, in which case my original point reemerges: why should I have any affinity whatsoever for new Nico one way or another? She's just some random character I don't recognize, much like how the sycophantic background extras Jean Grey and Storm in the issue are also not characters I recognize.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Judging from her presence as apparently the only original Runaway in the Secret Wars volume (and frankly everything else about her), I'd say Molly has the best chance of sticking around.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

You guys do understand that Doom is the God of Battleworld with a group of Thors as his police force? Do you expect A-Force to just go "We're going to risk all of Arcadia getting razed because we want to overthrow God. This may or may not possible, and if it does work we don't know the consequences it will bring."

And not having any affinity to the A-Force Nico because she's not exactly like the old one is a great example of what's wrong with a lot of comic fans. A story can't stand on it's own merits if you're using a familiar character. A world where Nico was a respected hero instead of a teenage Runaway, living on the run? That's not my Nico, and is in no way a thoughtful contrast to the character I read ten years ago.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Die Laughing posted:

You guys do understand that Doom is the God of Battleworld with a group of Thors as his police force? Do you expect A-Force to just go "We're going to risk all of Arcadia getting razed because we want to overthrow God. This may or may not possible, and if it does work we don't know the consequences it will bring."

Um, kind of maybe? Simple fact, if you counted right now, the number of times superheroes have tried to literally fight God or even fight Dr. Doom with Beyonder powers is a number higher than zero.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I'm actually surprised X-23 isn't in A-Force as the token Wolverine. That seemed like a pretty obvious inclusion to me...

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

TwoPair posted:

Um, kind of maybe? Simple fact, if you counted right now, the number of times superheroes have tried to literally fight God or even fight Dr. Doom with Beyonder powers is a number higher than zero.

Surely people will fight Doom as the series progresses. You have to set up the status quo first before anyone can revolt against it...

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Right. A-Force shows that people are ok with Doom as God because they're living nice lives in their feminist utopia. "Don't cross the borders." Isn't the sort of thing anyone would risk the welfare of their nation over. That might be the only thing keeping the Hulks or the Mister Sinisters from tearing poo poo up. Shark attacks from outside kingdoms, and America getting dragged away by Thors are going to shake things up.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

I imagine that's going to be a persistent problem with all the Battleworld tie-ins, where every once in a while the story is just gonna be forced to come to a halt in order to remind everyone that, yes, all of this still takes place in Suck Doom's Dick Land.

As far as Nico goes, no matter how close she was to America, she still comes across as a desperate hysterical teenager instead of the stalwart world-weary teenage leader that she was. Like, the most major trait I would attribute to mainstream Nico is "battle-hardened" and the most major trait I would attribute to A-Force Nico is "not battle-hardened." Of course it's easy to absolve the discrepancy with the context that the two Nicos have had completely different lives, in which case my original point reemerges: why should I have any affinity whatsoever for new Nico one way or another? She's just some random character I don't recognize, much like how the sycophantic background extras Jean Grey and Storm in the issue are also not characters I recognize.

Well then you read Runaways wrong and/or are not ignoring Arena and Undercover

Nico's defining trait is "motherly".

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Y'all just need to read Spider-verse, then. It's about five spider-people whose Spider-sense is reminding them of who they actually are and they gotta try and figure out what's going on.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
We have no idea how long these people have actually been in battleworld, but to them, it has been their whole life. Having an expectation for them to immediately rise up when this is the only world they've known is kinda ridiculous.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Y'all just need to read Spider-verse, then. It's about five spider-people whose Spider-sense is reminding them of who they actually are and they gotta try and figure out what's going on.

I really liked Spider-Verse and I think it had the lowest percentage of Thors and Doom-mentions by volume of any of the tie-ins. Coincidence?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Die Laughing posted:

Who would want superheros acting like superheros, that would suck!

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Why have a story arc leading to characters coming to a conclusion due to raised stakes and acting on that conclusion? A-Force wasn't one issue of people punching each other, totally a no sell for me now.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Probably Magic posted:

Why have a story arc leading to characters coming to a conclusion due to raised stakes and acting on that conclusion? A-Force wasn't one issue of people punching each other, totally a no sell for me now.

That has nothing to do with what I (or he) said, but yeah that does sound boring.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

CharlestheHammer posted:

Again, they will "act like superheroes" once the status quo and the greater context of the story is established.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Again, they will "act like superheroes" once the status quo and the greater context of the story is established.

But why would they, it could have consequences!

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

CharlestheHammer posted:

But why would they, it could have consequences!

Without the possibility of consequences, no action is heroic, nevermind superheroic.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Look guys, the fact of the matter is, everyone is sucking Doctor Doom's dick. They're taking his dick and putting it in their mouth and sucking it. That's just how it works. They're forced to place Doctor Doom's genitals in their mouth. The fact that no one has overthrown him one week into tie-ins is just proof this is terrible, and the writers think Doctor Doom deserves to get his dick sucked constantly. It's ridiculous. You would think they'd have learned their lesson after the disastrous effects of crossovers like Everyone Sucks Magneto's Dick, The Universe Gives Apocalypse Endless Blowjobs, Lex Luthor Rams His Dick Down The Throat Of America And Everyone Likes It, Darkseid Rape Fantasies #1-18, etc. It's disgusting really.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Without the possibility of consequences, no action is heroic, nevermind superheroic.

That was my point, his argument was literally "heroes can't do a thing because it might inconvience them" which is a weird argument to make about comic book characters, espeically superhero ones.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

CharlestheHammer posted:

That was my point, his argument was literally "heroes can't do a thing because it might inconvience them" which is a weird argument to make about comic book characters, espeically superhero ones.

I'd figure risking the ire of what they know as an immortal god-figure and his army of virtually unstoppable hammer-wielding demi-gods against not only themselves but their somewhat large civilian population is a bit more than an "inconvenience."

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Literal creator deity whose rule is all I know? Gonna go punch him right now because the reader knows he's bad!

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

CharlestheHammer posted:

His point was that, as currently established, their lives are good and their knowledge of the greater context of Doom and Battleworld is limited, so there is not currently a good reason to rebel and invite potential consequences. The series will presumably provide a good reason, and they will then rebel even in the face of those same consequences, thus proving their (super)heroism.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Neo_Reloaded posted:

His point was that, as currently established, their lives are good and their knowledge of the greater context of Doom and Battleworld is limited, so there is not currently a good reason to rebel and invite potential consequences. The series will presumably provide a good reason, and they will then rebel even in the face of those same consequences, thus proving their (super)heroism.

Nope, I just read it again my reading seems to be correct.

If you want to make that argument fine but it has nothing to do with my argument.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
Sorry the super-heroes haven't overthrown the bad guy before the story started... I guess...

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Shawn posted:

Sorry the super-heroes haven't overthrown the bad guy before the story started... I guess...

It's hilarious because the 616 heroes are going to be the main protagonists and fight Doom, but everyone is so mad that the alternate reality people haven't gone out and done it one week into the tie-ins.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It's hilarious that people expressed displeasure at a tie-in and were dogpiled as if they said the whole event was trash just at the end of A-Force #1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Hell I didn't even say anything bad about the tie in, I was just making fun of a weird argument.

• Locked thread