Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The only questing I recommend doing is the 60-65 storyline quest because it will net you a full set of armor that'll let you start dungeoneering, and because it will basically get you from 60 to 65 with minimal fuss.

I basically agree with Monomythian though. The game's questing could definitely use some kind of changeup because there are so many legit cool places in TERA and somehow the quests you'll generally get will never send you to any of them. There's a haunted manor outside of the Elin's beautiful capital city, a ludicrously tall tower in an icy wasteland you'll only ever see a single floor of because it has a dungeon in the basement, a whole bunch of cathedral-sized subzones, a Goonies/Deadmines-style cave system with a hidden pirate ship, and a loving gorgeous zone made out of ruined gardens with a giant god-sized sword visible stabbed into the earth over the horizon. Right now you'll never see any of them.

Maybe something similar to GW2 or the Secret World that encouraged exploration or small public quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Wait where is that goonies cave

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
If you're brand new and being ultimate max level kill machine guy is not your highest priority, take some time and go try some quests anyway, Tera is an amazing tourism experience. If you're the kind of weirdo that would turn off XP in City of Heroes or whatever so you could get all the badges then this is the game for you.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Flesh Forge posted:

If you're brand new and being ultimate max level kill machine guy is not your highest priority, take some time and go try some quests anyway, Tera is an amazing tourism experience. If you're the kind of weirdo that would turn off XP in City of Heroes or whatever so you could get all the badges then this is the game for you.

Does the game do the dumb WoW thing where if you outlevel a quest you can't even see/do it anymore?

(I know WoW lets you turn them back on now but for the longest time it didn't)

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Gray quests still show up without having to toggle on low level quests in this game, as far as I can tell. Maybe if you super out level them it turns off but just being gray isn't enough.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I think I'm gonna install this and check it out tonight! I'm confused on the status of the guilds because one page says "yes there are guilds go back a few pages and search you rear end" and then a few pages back all the chat is "well those guilds are dead so sad."

Is there an easy way to apply to NFA?

ttocs7
Sep 14, 2010
Yup, there's an in-game guild interface that lets you search for the guilds on the server, and then click the 'apply to guild' button. dgkk/sa is generally all you need to enter in the application note.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

There's "No Fun Allowed" and apparently another guild with almost the same name, so be careful I guess.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Is there somewhere that has a list, or better yet a map, of all the BAMs? I've fought one or two and it was lots of fun and I'd like to go hunt them down.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Finally got an A. Tempted to sell the mount, but the stamina regen would be nice.

Also, if they sell this they'll make millions, I'm sure
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDrcVsYvngs

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Xavier434 posted:

The silver lining is that other than the main quest lines (red exclamation points), a ton of quests can be completely ignored in favor of killing BAMs and running dungeons solo while still getting a lot of exp. I put up with the questing in TERA because the completionist in me is pretty bad, but I do like that I can either ignore an area that I don't like or just take a break to get my exp in other ways. That plus the boring quests are just good excuse to engage in the awesome combat more which makes up for it imo. So many other MMOs force you into a position where you either do their quests to level up or gtfo.

I don't mind the questing, but it's because my wife is a megasperg, when it comes to quest routing, so I just follow her slayer around, and kill stuff.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

They really should've given mystic one more attack or dot of some sort. They're just so boring because when soloing you basically just plop down damage thrall, toss dots, maybe occasionally throw in your two attacks, and be completely safe. Compare that to priest where you're chaining attacks at close range like crazy and it's just sleep inducing. Something like heart strike or another slow heavy hitter you need to find a good window for would be more engaging.

Also Pierson, you get that thing I sent you?

chumbler fucked around with this message at 08:08 on May 23, 2015

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I did! Thanks man, it's already come in useful for my many dungeon fuckups.

Farg posted:

Wait where is that goonies cave
I forget the name of the zone but it's buried deep in a cave system near Cutthroat Harbor.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
So I installed this game just for shits and giggles and it's quite fun for a newbie. Also, it turns out I have a Founder account. With 0 characters. I bought it when it first came out and it wouldn't install on my machine and after an hour with the tech support I just said fuckit and got a refund. Apparently, even getting a refund didn't zero out my account - so; Founder with no chars and no playtime.

Woot?

Edit: if there is a quick guide somewhere on what I ought to buy to level quicker (what is an avatar weapon?) that would rule

Thursday Next fucked around with this message at 11:37 on May 23, 2015

ttocs7
Sep 14, 2010
The game gives you a lot of that - it's double XP time, and you'll get +50% XP bonuses every time you finish a full story quest chain. You should also get some +100% XP bonuses in the mail from leveling.

Avatar weapon pieces will drop (not shards, though you'll want to dismantle those), and the in-game UI will show your progress. You probably won't see your first ones until about level 18 or so, then one every 3-4 levels until 59, then you get one each level (up to 62 so far, might be more later).

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

How are those Reaper dudes? I bought this game at release and I'm pretty sure my Slayer is 50 something so I should be able to make one.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
So, about crystals: fine brilliant niveot, the lvl 65 crystal, costs 400 reputation marks or like 1000 gold on trade broker and restores 42 MP/5, while fine brilliant crux is lvl 58, costs about 10 gold or drops all around the world from BAMs and restores 41MP/5.

Again I must be missing something here.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
So I've been wanting to try this game for a little while, and now is a good time. I always prefer playing healer classes, so is there any huge preference between mystic and priest? Can they both heal well, and is one more desirable than the other in groups?

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Hipster Occultist posted:

How are those Reaper dudes? I bought this game at release and I'm pretty sure my Slayer is 50 something so I should be able to make one.

Reaper is interesting, though somewhat facerolly, since their entire core moveset is linked one move to another. They excel at medium range which is a funny engagement range for this game.

It is kind of jarring to basically be playing a teeny, tiny Kratos though.

At the end of the day I can't really say that there are BAD classes in the game, just many with different playstyles.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Reaper has a good bit of stun moves, too, which can make for nice interrupts and combos, as well as some teleport type things. I had a lot of fun playing it as pretty much my first DPS char, until Gunner that is.
When you get certain buffs that increase attack speed you can't help but smile at all the flailing about and damage numbers flying around.

Since they're often the first max level character for people, they do get frowned upon in dungeons where knowing mechanics and boss moves is important. So that's where some of their dislike comes from.

And I understand better what the thread title is all about. However I masterworked my boots in 1 try, gloves in 9 but can't for the life of me get them past +10

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Are there any class(es) that are, for lack of a better term, 'simpler' to play/learn the game with for a total newbie?

I do tend to prefer caster types, it seems like Mystics have pets and aura/buff stuff while Priests are straight-up 'beat guys down with staff and heal dudes'?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

AzureSkys posted:

Also, if they sell this they'll make millions, I'm sure
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDrcVsYvngs

Pity the whole video wasn't 3 mins of them expanding more and more.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

WarLocke posted:

Are there any class(es) that are, for lack of a better term, 'simpler' to play/learn the game with for a total newbie?

I do tend to prefer caster types, it seems like Mystics have pets and aura/buff stuff while Priests are straight-up 'beat guys down with staff and heal dudes'?

Honestly if you're going with pve, gunner is probably the simplest class. They don't really have any skill bloat, they have good defense and sustainability plus range, their skills are all easy to use, they're super powerful through most of leveling, and they're pretty hard to mess up. Every other class has some major drawback to work around that makes it hard to call them really simple. Lancers are really reliant on skill chains and need to manage their blocking while having somewhat limited mobility. Berserkers are straightforward hit mans really hard with axe and have a block, but they have the worst mobility at least among the offensive classes and you have to get used to managing charging mechanics and overcharge health costs. Archers similarly have to manage charge and overcharge, do their highest damage in close to mid range, and have no ability to heal. Slayers and warriors lack healing (outside of one glyph) and their defenses are all basically stuns and rolls, and they have somewhat long skill animations. Sorcerors have long cast times on their heavy hitters, no healing, and are super squishy. Priests do all their damage at point blank range and are squishy (but obviously have great self healing), and mystics are just kind of boring.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
So it's been years since I played my old main dude, I logged over to him and I don't have my fancy vanarch horse anymore. :saddowns:

I take it that's all completely gone with the vanarchy system?

Also does everyone get the warbot mount for free now? I dropped an insanely big amount of gold back when they were new getting one. :negative:

chumbler posted:

If you want to play this game you'll have to resign yourself to boob windows and thongs

You're going to be showing a whole lot of skin even if you're a dude, especially Castanic or High Elf.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 23, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

WarLocke posted:

DPS is the simplest role, and ranged is simpler than melee, so try sorcerer/archer/gunner. Support is pretty hard to play well in this game but maybe Priest is easier than Mystic (what I play).

chumbler posted:

mystics are just kind of boring.

I don't disagree with this, although they're pretty great at making other people more efficient.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 23, 2015

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

DPS is the simplest role
the simplest role to gently caress up

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
All TERA classes have at least one way to dodge huge murderdamage and some get several so of course don't expect most players to use any of them except walking.

Silhouette Wires
May 9, 2014

Never Knows Best
I got my gunner to 65. So I figured I should level my lancer that I hadn't played since release, only lvl 30. A different experience for sure. It really feels like a lot more effort grinding these Bams. At least dungeon Queues are instant

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

DPS is the simplest role, and ranged is simpler than melee, so try sorcerer/archer/gunner. Support is pretty hard to play well in this game but maybe Priest is easier than Mystic (what I play).

I don't disagree with this, although they're pretty great at making other people more efficient.

I keep hearing Sorcerer is the game's hardest class, but that might be sarcasm (I've never played one).

Also when leveling a new character I got FOUR relic weapon pieces out of a random Vampire that an Ovolith squished outside of Sinestral Manor. :psyduck:

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

How much should warrior tanking be leaning on dodging (roll, dashes, moving attacks) vs stationary defense (cross parry, death from above, tanking with torrent/flurry etc)? I'm not sure if I'm loving with people by dodging around and turning the enemy sometimes.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

brennon posted:

How much should warrior tanking be leaning on dodging (roll, dashes, moving attacks) vs stationary defense (cross parry, death from above, tanking with torrent/flurry etc)? I'm not sure if I'm loving with people by dodging around and turning the enemy sometimes.

Tell them to git gud if they say anything.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm sure most of them are glad they have a tank at all.

e: Why is the Mystic direct heal so janky? I have a lot of problems getting it to fire even on someone standing right next to me. Lock on -> nothing, whether I left mouse button or hit the skill hotkey for the second action.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 24, 2015

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.
So do zerkers do enough damage to justify their fat kid stuck in a ninja world mobility?

Seems like I spend like 80% of the fight waddling after dudes.

I mean I think I do some nasty hits but then again most of the monsters die super quick because everyone and their mom is a gunner and they seem straight better than me.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Double Monocle posted:

So do zerkers do enough damage to justify their fat kid stuck in a ninja world mobility?

Seems like I spend like 80% of the fight waddling after dudes.

I mean I think I do some nasty hits but then again most of the monsters die super quick because everyone and their mom is a gunner and they seem straight better than me.

Zerkers loving destroy poo poo

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Plus, new Zerk (and sorcerer ) class buffs are coming soon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX2NCwN5rHU

Anatharon posted:

Also when leveling a new character I got FOUR relic weapon pieces out of a random Vampire that an Ovolith squished outside of Sinestral Manor. :psyduck:
Sometimes I'd go forever needing just a few more, then I'd finally get them all.

And wow does a tank make a huge difference. BR has been crazy without one, but I guess it gives more time to practice the mechanics.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I apparently decided to join the pain train because Mystics look really cool to me and I made one. :negative:

I found some enchanted footwear and they turned out to be high heels. This loving game. :catstare:

I really like the idea behind Mystic healing. Just poop out balls all over and let people run over and pacman it up when they get hurt...

e: Does this game have a dungeon/group finder is it old-school 'put a party together manually and everyone go to the entrance' style?

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 24, 2015

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
It has a dungeon finder that picks people from multiple servers, but you can also manually party up and run to the entrance. The matcher only let's you queue for dungeons that are in your level range, though.

http://tera.enmasse.com/game-guide/groups/#matching

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Schubalts posted:

It has a dungeon finder that picks people from multiple servers, but you can also manually party up and run to the entrance. The matcher only let's you queue for dungeons that are in your level range, though.

http://tera.enmasse.com/game-guide/groups/#matching

Until you hit cap, and then you can synch down and help other people out (but keep all your abilities and glyphs). This nets you a different reward box than the normal one.

I think the mode is called 'Blast From The Past'

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Blast from the Past was removed in this last update, sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

AzureSkys posted:

Blast from the Past was removed in this last update, sadly.

Well hell, that makes dungeon queues a much bigger pain in the rear end.

• Locked thread