Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

desudrive posted:

I think people are forgetting that Tera was an absolute trainwreck at launch as well. The game was packed full of people for the first month, but I remember buying 2 months of in-game time with gold and after that first month Velika had maybe like 4 people in it. Also, you had to do Every. Single. Quest. to level and iirc you -had- to do the dungeons to even unlock the next set of story quests. there was a point in the early 40s where I ran out of quests to do and had to grind on panthers for a level just to even get a few more quests. It was a pain in the rear end. The game has come a long way since launch.

I have a feeling that with a similar F2P model, Wildstar will actually see similar success. That is, if the devs somehow get a little less retarded (probably not likely).

Tera didn't launch on the heels of COH closing, spawning crybabies from the word go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Deki posted:

Tera didn't launch on the heels of COH closing, spawning crybabies from the word go.

:golfclap:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Thunderbro posted:

imagine if all of wildstar's latent spergery was focused on something productive like science or train games

we would already be on mars

Except we would all be dead arriving to mars. Being hardcore does not mean you are good. Most of these delusional idiots probably suck at video games and just have tons of hours to waste on the game because they have no real lives.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Mormon Star Wars posted:

57 pages and still not a single word from Carbine on the subject. It's quite disappointing to watch them let their game fall to pieces while they suck up every cent they can get. The integrity is gone. TimeTravel needs to find a studio that will appreciate his abilities and the rest of the studio should start thinking about career changes.

Does anyone know if there's a company with an opening for a Senior Meme Gif Poster position?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Selane posted:

Does anyone know if there's a company with an opening for a Senior Meme Gif Poster position?

TimeTravel almost certainly won't be able to find a job in the games industry after this unless assistant manager at a gamestop counts.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
I think the devs have had a long discussion about unemployment and decided they're not quite so hardcore after all

quote:

This is actually something we've been looking into for the next drop, 1.4.0. Some of the changes will make SlyJeff sad, because they do make the normal dungeons easier, but we've found that the completion % as a whole is lower than we'd want. Additionally, the analytics shows that any player who does complete a dungeon, is significantly more likely to stick around. It's one of our 'stickiest' features for folks who can make it through.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

People are more likely to keep playing the game when they're able to successfully complete content within it? you dont say

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Wait wait wait wait .... you mean ... people who are never able to complete the flagship activity your game is built around might not actually be satisfied with that? WHAT

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Deki posted:

TimeTravel almost certainly won't be able to find a job in the games industry after this unless assistant manager at a gamestop counts.

Not really, the game industry cares a lot more about experience than a history of failure, for whatever reason.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

The Moon Monster posted:

Not really, the *insert name* industry cares a lot more about experience than a history of failure, for whatever reason.

Fixed that for ya.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
From a certain point of view a history of failure is experience - the trouble is when people refuse to learn from it and just keep repeating the same mistakes.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I'd be surprised if anyone would even look at TimeTravels resume after what a trainwreck the game and his interaction with the games community was. Hope he thinks about his actions on his way to the MMO poor house.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

desudrive posted:

I think people are forgetting that Tera was an absolute trainwreck at launch as well. The game was packed full of people for the first month, but I remember buying 2 months of in-game time with gold and after that first month Velika had maybe like 4 people in it. Also, you had to do Every. Single. Quest. to level and iirc you -had- to do the dungeons to even unlock the next set of story quests. there was a point in the early 40s where I ran out of quests to do and had to grind on panthers for a level just to even get a few more quests. It was a pain in the rear end. The game has come a long way since launch.

I have a feeling that with a similar F2P model, Wildstar will actually see similar success. That is, if the devs somehow get a little less retarded (probably not likely).

A difference between Tera and Wildstar and the population drop is that Tera launched in the face of D3 which absolutely killed any momentum it had going. Wildstar launched in one of the best periods for any recent MMO and died on its own merits with very little competition.

Tera didn't really have the massive population hit because people thought it was a poo poo game, it had more to do with the competition. That said your points about having to do every single quest and running out of content were issues for sure but Tera never really had the negative reaction that Wildstar did from what I recall, it was more people complaining about lack of content but liking the game otherwise. Wildstar had plenty of content just seems most people didn't like what was there.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Nice finds, Mormon Star Wars.

quote:

I loved WildStar, and as much as I'll keep fighting for it's population, deep down I'm ready for this game to die so the talent can go where it's potential will be set free. Why? They listened to the wrong people,

What an oddly reasonable opi-

quote:

started giving handouts and nerfing content.

Oh, there it is. It's funny how these guys never realize that they are the problem.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Itzena posted:

From a certain point of view a history of failure is experience - the trouble is when people refuse to learn from it and just keep repeating the same mistakes.

This is exactly correct. Failure should be celebrated because when taken as a learning experience it only makes us stronger. however, the MMO industry has a lengthy history of putting the same people in charge over and over again who continuously make very similar mistakes game after game. This is why we have so many bad and "samey" MMOs

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

people in leadership positions actually don't learn from their mistakes. they always have someone below them to blam after all.

a recent study found that there is no correlation between the amount of leadership experience and leadership quality.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Bieeardo posted:

I'm sending both of you to Detroit.

No! No, not Detroit! No! No, please! Anything but that! No! No!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

people in leadership positions actually don't learn from their mistakes. they always have someone below them to blam after all.

a recent study found that there is no correlation between the amount of leadership experience and leadership quality.

This is something even Scott Adams talked about years ago. He said you could replace the CEOs of major corporations with cute little bunnies and not change anything at all, that's how much "leadership" affects them.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

desudrive posted:

I feel ya. The only difference is that Aion never got better.

Aion was very much not a good game (still better than WildStar, although that's not saying much) but I kinda liked how CC was important in dungeons in that game.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

croutonZA posted:

Aion was very much not a good game (still better than WildStar, although that's not saying much) but I kinda liked how CC was important in dungeons in that game.

I enjoyed how Aion's combo system worked, it saved a lot of hotbar real estate. Also it was the first game I genuinely had fun playing a mage (sorcerer) in so there's that? :confuoot:

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Eimi posted:

I enjoyed how Aion's combo system worked, it saved a lot of hotbar real estate. Also it was the first game I genuinely had fun playing a mage (sorcerer) in so there's that? :confuoot:

This is a big deal for me. I am tired of dealing with so many abilities. Give me stuff which does multiple things all in one instead like GW2. I enjoy complexity but not because my keyboard or gaming mouse feels awkward as a result. TERA sorta sits on a thin fence here and mostly because certain abilities for some classes become obsolete at later levels.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
wildstar was actually really good at that, I love the LAS a lot. I feel like my ideal MMO is somewhere between tera and wildstar.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Honestly, the world would be a way better place if NCSoft open sourced their dead MMOs. I'd love to play a community-run tabula rasa or CoH server, and I'm sure someone somewhere could bang wildstar into a workable game.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

croutonZA posted:

If you want CC and a challenge sub wow for a month and work your way through getting gold on all the challenge mode dungeons!

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Byolante posted:

If you want CC and a challenge sub wow for a month and work your way through getting gold on all the challenge mode dungeons!

I dont know what cm you do but you don't cc anything. You aoe down the packs as fast as possible

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Holyshoot posted:

I dont know what cm you do but you don't cc anything. You aoe down the packs as fast as possible

I guess times have changed since I did them. I had them wrapped up by mid december but I clearly remember trapping/sheeping/ret-ccing them.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Byolante posted:

I guess times have changed since I did them. I had them wrapped up by mid december but I clearly remember trapping/sheeping/ret-ccing them.

The current best group to do CM golds with now is like 3 hunters, 1 resto druid, 1 blood dk and you just barrage everything.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Boris Galerkin posted:

The current best group to do CM golds with now is like 3 hunters, 1 resto druid, 1 blood dk and you just barrage everything.

My group were somewhere in the 90s for completion of all golds and eveything was still up in the air. I haven't even played wow since the start of febuary so I am sure the patches and stuff has changed a lot :shobon: .

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Byolante posted:

[Attunement is] not an arbitrary step.

First of all, if you enjoy the content of WildStar at all, then it's simply more of that. Secondly, it provides a sense of progression and accomplishment along with the narrative, so once you;re finally attuned, it means much more. Not to mention, your guild will be working better as a team - a requirement for WildStar raiding that really doesn't apply to those other games you mentioned.

If you're a player looking for an equal or easier loot train than the one you're already on, I suggest WildStar is not that train.

What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. - Thomas Paine

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
the best part of internet arguments is seeing people quote people to sound intelligent - sword_man.gif

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

sword_man.gif posted:

the best part of internet arguments is seeing people quote people to sound intelligent - sword_man.gif

hey did you get a new sword man gif?

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
yea after christmas was over

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
haaa I knew it. nice one, buddy.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I hope that was a troll post because if not :catstare:

I enjoyed doing the CMs because it was a group of friends pushing each other to play at our best. I stopped playing wow because 20 mans had enough people I didn't want to spend time gaming with that it made me reconsider what I wanted to get out of my free time. Now I play dota with the people I did CMs with and we are having fun again!

defining your mmo experience by the loot you get is a fast track to disappointment. You should really be defining it about the fun times you have with people you enjoy playing videogames with, the loot just helps you have more fun times!

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Byolante posted:

I hope that was a troll post because if not :catstare:

I enjoyed doing the CMs because it was a group of friends pushing each other to play at our best. I stopped playing wow because 20 mans had enough people I didn't want to spend time gaming with that it made me reconsider what I wanted to get out of my free time. Now I play dota with the people I did CMs with and we are having fun again!

defining your mmo experience by the loot you get is a fast track to disappointment. You should really be defining it about the fun times you have with people you enjoy playing videogames with, the loot just helps you have more fun times!

The way I find it fun is the way it was designed. There are plenty more of me out there, and all they have to do is methodically pull them in.

Something tells me a 3 million sub loss with yesterdays no flying announcement is going to point a lot of people in this direction.

WildStar needs to stay WildStar. The players are coming.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

This dude runs a podcast about crowfall in his off time complaining about casuals and bads and whiny babies trying to infiltrate his manly man game. I love the wildstar F2P thread.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Mormon Star Wars posted:

[Attunement is] not an arbitrary step.

First of all, if you enjoy the content of WildStar at all, then it's simply more of that. Secondly, it provides a sense of progression and accomplishment along with the narrative, so once you;re finally attuned, it means much more. Not to mention, your guild will be working better as a team - a requirement for WildStar raiding that really doesn't apply to those other games you mentioned.

If you're a player looking for an equal or easier loot train than the one you're already on, I suggest WildStar is not that train.

What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. - Thomas Paine

Source your quo- Oh :allears:

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Nice poe's law posting imo.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Mormon Star Wars posted:

This dude runs a podcast about crowfall in his off time complaining about casuals and bads and whiny babies trying to infiltrate his manly man game. I love the wildstar F2P thread.

is the podcast funny

it sounds like it could be either funny or insanely boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Mormon Star Wars posted:

The way I find it fun is the way it was designed. There are plenty more of me out there, and all they have to do is methodically pull them in.

Something tells me a 3 million sub loss with yesterdays no flying announcement is going to point a lot of people in this direction.

WildStar needs to stay WildStar. The players are coming.

No they're not. WildStar is a dead game with negative buzz. If those players are going anywhere, it's Final Fantasy XIV, which is universally considered to be a pretty good game.

• Locked thread