Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Aleph Null posted:

Wizardry 8 used a similar system. Skills got better with use and you could spend points on them.

Wizardry 6 as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Luisfe posted:

Wizardry 6 as well.

If anyone wanted to pick these up, they have Wizardry 6, 7, and 8 in this bundle, along with System Shock 2 for $3.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Inco posted:

If anyone wanted to pick these up, they have Wizardry 6, 7, and 8 in this bundle, along with System Shock 2 for $3.

Thanks for that link. That's a drat good deal. I just picked it up.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Speaking of System Shock 2, there's a big thing that drags it down(and to be fair it isn't only System Shock 2 that does this). I play on a TV. A big TV. I've used a TV as a monitor for going on 10 years. My TV is capable of displaying a pretty high resolution, but a huge problem I noticed in System Shock 2 is when I up the resolution, the HUD and menus are basically impossible to read because they're so small. A lot of people use actual computer monitors and that would work much better, but seeing as I'm like 15 feet away from my TV, it means I need to lower the resolution, or physically get up and walk over to my TV to read things. Morrowind also was a huge problem for me because of this, and since the font size is basically the hardest thing to mod in Morrowind, it causes all sorts of ancillary problems.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
Tales of Xillia 2, I love you. Your characters are engaging and charming, your gameplay is overall top-notch, and the Kitty Dispatch makes me giggle like a schoolgirl.

So why must you give me a 'do only the minimum damage' skill? I'm doing one point of damage per swing with a giant gently caress-off sledgehammer because of a skill that activated that I didn't even know I got or used! This makes no sense! There isn't a 'trap animal' mechanic or anything!

It is so tiny but god it's frustrating when you do a tutorial battle and can't figure out why even your best attacks are doing piddly damage until you check online and oh yeah, that totally makes sense.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Tales of Xillia 2, I love you. Your characters are engaging and charming, your gameplay is overall top-notch, and the Kitty Dispatch makes me giggle like a schoolgirl.

So why must you give me a 'do only the minimum damage' skill? I'm doing one point of damage per swing with a giant gently caress-off sledgehammer because of a skill that activated that I didn't even know I got or used! This makes no sense! There isn't a 'trap animal' mechanic or anything!

It is so tiny but god it's frustrating when you do a tutorial battle and can't figure out why even your best attacks are doing piddly damage until you check online and oh yeah, that totally makes sense.

The tales of games are usually pretty combo based aren't they? I can see how it would be useful to have that sort of skill for practicing purposes, but its pretty crappy if they just spring it on you out of nowhere.

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Mass Effect 1: Everything aside from the main quest feels like low-effort filler. Most side-quests boil down to "bounce around the surface of a planet in the Mako for five minutes, then enter one of three possible buildings and kill everything inside". If you're lucky, there's a bit of dialog at the start which allows you to choose between taking on the mission eagerly, or taking it on reluctantly. If you're very lucky, there's some more dialog at the end of the side-quest to wrap it up, instead of just a popup lazily telling you, "you killed everything in this building, good job, you're done". Meanwhile, you have five or six fetch quests open at the same time, but they all boil down to either "click planet, click 'Survey'", or "bounce around planet in Mako, click on debris, beat minigame (for some reason)". You're supposedly unearthing ancient Protean data discs and writings of long-dead Matriarchs, but all the game can say is "good job clicking on that planet/object, some number has increased and you've been awarded some credits and XP". You could cut 80% of all side content and not loose anything of value.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

they took the mako out of me2 because people complained, then they took out mineral surveys altogether in me3

You can't even call the first game a proof of concept because the first and second games are so wildly different. You're right, it is pretty bad, especially for completionists.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

No Such Thing posted:

The tales of games are usually pretty combo based aren't they? I can see how it would be useful to have that sort of skill for practicing purposes, but its pretty crappy if they just spring it on you out of nowhere.

The problem is 1) the game auto-equips skills when you learn them if possible 2) the reduced-damage skills are all 1 point 3) it is shockingly easy to miss that you have actually finished learning a skill or what that skill is.

e: actually I think the 1-damage one is either a treasure or part of a sidequest and it's not hard to miss that or that it's been auto-equipped either.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

From Earth posted:

Mass Effect 1: Everything aside from the main quest feels like low-effort filler. Most side-quests boil down to "bounce around the surface of a planet in the Mako for five minutes, then enter one of three possible buildings and kill everything inside". If you're lucky, there's a bit of dialog at the start which allows you to choose between taking on the mission eagerly, or taking it on reluctantly. If you're very lucky, there's some more dialog at the end of the side-quest to wrap it up, instead of just a popup lazily telling you, "you killed everything in this building, good job, you're done". Meanwhile, you have five or six fetch quests open at the same time, but they all boil down to either "click planet, click 'Survey'", or "bounce around planet in Mako, click on debris, beat minigame (for some reason)". You're supposedly unearthing ancient Protean data discs and writings of long-dead Matriarchs, but all the game can say is "good job clicking on that planet/object, some number has increased and you've been awarded some credits and XP". You could cut 80% of all side content and not loose anything of value.

Mass Effect 3 gives you a decent reward for going to to trouble of finishing some of those quests, which is nice of it at least. You get a fun little scene where a guy goes "I could do this if only I had 12 asari matriarch writings" and the main character says "Well you'll never guess what," and you get some extra points and XP.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

No Such Thing posted:

It's definitely combo based, but the idea is to do as much damage as possible with combos. I think it gives you a popup, but no real info for skills learned.

Caphi posted:

The problem is 1) the game auto-equips skills when you learn them if possible 2) the reduced-damage skills are all 1 point 3) it is shockingly easy to miss that you have actually finished learning a skill or what that skill is.

e: actually I think the 1-damage one is either a treasure or part of a sidequest and it's not hard to miss that or that it's been auto-equipped either.
I believe it's one of the earlier side quests and it just goes right into your skill list.

Also if anyone says they actually understand how the Allium Orb mechanic works they are a filthy liar.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
No idea why witcher 3's equipment degrades and why the idiot who thought to implement the mechanic hasn't been strung up by their balls.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Calaveron posted:

No idea why witcher 3's equipment degrades and why the idiot who thought to implement the mechanic hasn't been strung up by their balls.

Because people like the "realism" that's why there's entirely too many mods that add hunger/thirst into games like Skyrim and Fallout 3/New Vegas. Gotta have that realism!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Len posted:

Because people like the "realism" that's why there's entirely too many mods that add hunger/thirst into games like Skyrim and Fallout 3/New Vegas. Gotta have that realism!

A real sword doesn't become a wiffle bat after killing two dudes, though.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

From Earth posted:

Fun fact: Mass Effect 1 was basically low effort filler for the next two.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Len posted:

They are playing the game WRONG!!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Who What Now posted:

A real sword doesn't become a wiffle bat after killing two dudes, though.

Hey don't worry. You can repair your sword and your bat for only 2,300 dollars!

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

A White Guy posted:

Fun fact: Mass Effect 1 was basically low effort filler for the next two.

It always staggers me when people honestly claim that ME1 is better than ME2. I guess it's like the goon love affair with Alpha Protocol, it's easy to love the version of the game that exists in your head, or the version of the game as you imagine it could be; even if the actual game has serious undeniable flaws.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

khwarezm posted:

They are playing the game WRONG!!

Well how many different hunger/thirst mods do there really need to be? Like shouldn't there just need to be the one? Or does every person think it isn't tweaked quite enough so they take the effort to make a new one because that mushroom should be world .5 hunger instead of .8 hunger?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'd imagine people have differing opinions on how severe the penalties should be, how fast the meters should build up, how much should be restored by one snack cake or bottle of water, etc. Some want it more hardcore, some want it to be low impact. Maybe the way one mod does the counters looks stupid or is buggy so someone makes a similar, more polished mod. Maybe someone thinks just hunger and thirst isn't enough, you should be able to get diseases as well. Extra crafting recipes and perks to take advantage of the new mechanic. There's all sorts of reasons why there might be more than one mod that does something.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I think some people playing Witcher 3 have taking to attacking rocks or something. I haven't had trouble with the repair mechanic and I'm playing on the second hardest difficulty.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

gamingCaffeinator posted:

It's definitely combo based, but the idea is to do as much damage as possible with combos. I think it gives you a popup, but no real info for skills learned.

I know in Vesperia you could use the one damage skill to farm huge amounts of grade but getting combos that went into the thousands. I think there was also an achievement for getting a huge combo that you pretty much needed that skill for.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Lord Lambeth posted:

I think some people playing Witcher 3 have taking to attacking rocks or something. I haven't had trouble with the repair mechanic and I'm playing on the second hardest difficulty.

well the main thing is it's utterly pointless. it serves zero purpose except as a mechanism to say 'whoa there pal, stop having fun and spend two minutes going to the nearest blacksmith'. the game could only be improved if there was no durability, something which has been established in literally every game with a durability mechanic.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

mass effect 1 is better than 2 or 3 and alpha protocol is better than mass effect 1

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Durability is a cool and necessary mechanic in Fallout, I think, given that all the poo poo you're using is over two centuries old (four centuries if you swiped Lincoln's Rifle).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sometimes durability/limited-use mechanics can be used well, although they're often implemented badly or in games that don't benefit from them. For example in dark souls 1 you have a limited number of uses of a healing item, which come back every time you get to a bonfire (checkpoint). There are not many other ways to heal so it keeps the game tense, makes getting to another bonfire feel really rewarding, and also makes you play carefully because you'll run out of heals if you have to use them after every single enemy. You can't really overextend yourself unless you're good enough to play without getting hit often.

Or in far cry 2, weapons visually get rustier and more crappy-looking the more you use them, until they eventually start jamming and finally blow up after too many jams. Thematically it's incredibly fitting for the game because the story is about how you basically ruin everything you touch, and it again makes you play carefully, which I think is one of the game's intentions. It's also a really valuable balance mechanic, because some weapons are pretty generic and unimpressive but extremely reliable such as the AK-47, whereas others are amazing godguns but break very quickly, like the dart rifle. Since you carry 3 weapons, each out of a different category, it adds some consideration as to what combination of weapons you want to bring, much moreso than far cry 3 which just lets you take four of whatever you want (with no durability), devaluing a lot of weapon types.

But unless witcher 3's combat is way different than 2's, I can't see any reason to add durability to it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The durability mechanic in Witcher 3 is utterly pointless but equipment degrades pretty slowly so its not a real detriment.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Durability mechanics suck. Nuff said.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I entered 5 different lobbies, all of them had players with absurd paragon levels and this sword.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Alouicious posted:

mass effect 1 is better than 2 or 3 and alpha protocol is better than mass effect 1

My favorite part of ME1 was that sweet meta-game of turning 99% of my loot into Omni-gel by force for the last 40% of the game.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Captain Lavender posted:

My favorite part of ME1 was that sweet meta-game of turning 99% of my loot into Omni-gel by force for the last 40% of the game.

ME1's loot system let you turn the sniper rifle into a railgun that kills everything in a 5 meter radius of wherever the shot lands, I'll forgive a bit of unwieldiness for that

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

using lift and a shotgun with explosive rounds to send geth into orbit or launching them clean through game geometry almost singlehandedly makes me1 better than the other two.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Yeah, the equipment interface was horrible, but the equipment mechanics were pretty neat. So, of course BioWare dumbed the whole thing down, rather than just improve the UI (or even just removing the loving item limit FFS), then put in an even worse equipment screen.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

No Such Thing posted:

using lift and a shotgun with explosive rounds to send geth into orbit or launching them clean through game geometry almost singlehandedly makes me1 better than the other two.

Did you not play Vanguard? Because this reads like you didn't play Vanguard.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Kind of a bad example because Vanguard in ME1 was also wildly different from Vanguard in 2 and 3.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I miss games that let you creatively become overpowered. Now everything is anticipated and capped.

The obvious one being Morrowind's alchemy allowing you to self-heal 1M HP/sec for a billion years and jump clear into orbit among other things. Also included is FF6's MBlock bug.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I like the dumb hardcore survival modes and pointless immersive gimmicks in games, and durability mechanics make me want to shoot myself.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Chinaman7000 posted:

I like the dumb hardcore survival modes and pointless immersive gimmicks in games, and durability mechanics make me want to shoot myself.

Durability can be a useful balancing tool. Emphasis on "can".

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Durability mechanics can be great, but they need a good reason to exist and are just annoying if they don't. I talked about this on another forum:

In a survival-horror game, durability mechanics can work. It depends on how it's balanced, but it can be a useful asset to maintain the fear and tension. You need to keep on top of your weapon, lest it fail you when you need it most.

In Fallout 3/New Vegas, durability mechanics should work, but don't. A post-apocalyptic setting is perfect for durability mechanics, making maintenance of failing gear in a failing world a key component of both the game's story and gameplay; the Repair skill exists primarily because of this, making the actual role of repairing something you need to focus on. The problem comes in the actual mechanics they use; in Fallout 3 there's not much to repairing, since you're only looking for an identical weapon to repair with instead of things you can use to repair, and there's little reason not to just use the new one. New Vegas' Weapon Repair Kits do better on this end by making you look out for things like duct tape to be able to make repairs with, but there's no reason to even give a poo poo about the Repair skill anymore because anyone can repair an item to full durability.

Oblivion's durability mechanic accidentally works. You can only repair enchanted items yourself if your Armorer skill is high enough, which is an enormous drawback for enchanted equipment early in the game. This actually does work in the game's favor, because enchanting is ridiculously overpowered; you can break the game pretty much the moment you get access to the enchanting system, which is really easy to do quickly if you know where to go. You can't reliably keep that absurdly broken gear in play early on, though, because you can't repair it yourself. This is probably an unintentional facet of things, though, given how it's both the only real check for enchanting's strength and the only real draw of the Armorer skill.

Minecraft's durability mechanic doesn't work. I can only assume that it exists as a mechanic to spur you into continuing to explore and mine, but exploring and mining already provide their own rewards. You already want to be doing that to get new building resources, useful items, and further upgrading your equipment, the lifespan of your equipment is actually adding nothing at all to the experience aside from frustration.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 13:16 on May 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The Witcher 3's durability mechanic is a bit of a misstep as well. It's expensive enough to be annoying but not so much that it adds to the challenge - even common crafting and shop items are more expensive than repairing your gear, and while you have to manage your income durability still doesn't have enough impact to force you into making compromises elsewhere. it seems to exist purely as a way of booting you back towards a town every so often because your sword has fallen apart.