Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There are more party members? :suspense:

Yeah, one of them is a mariachi with a flamethrower guitar. He's a cool guy.

Also I left Kingdom hearts 2 off my top 10 list, went back and fixed that :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Srice posted:

The marketplaces in Evermore were cool as hell and I never get tired of playing that part of the game.

Oh yeah, they did that right. Except the Chocobo Egg. That was poo poo. But everything else was great! It was nice that they let you play with the market and get rare items if you were willing to put in the effort. I was kinda bummed that the the marketplace in Gothica was so tiny.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

bloody mary terranigma

Yuck

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

Oh yeah, they did that right. Except the Chocobo Egg. That was poo poo. But everything else was great! It was nice that they let you play with the market and get rare items if you were willing to put in the effort. I was kinda bummed that the the marketplace in Gothica was so tiny.

I really liked how you could buy the same items at different prices, it was fun as hell to shop around and find the most efficient way to get those items. It really spiced up what could have been a series of boring trade chains.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Also the game suckers you into getting the Magic Gourd which doesn't actually do anything.

And if you're a completionist you do it anyway because you can get back all the other relics eventually. :cry:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
the only secret of evermore hack you need is the 2-player coop one

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Bloody Mary is funny because it's a completely trivially easy fight .... as long as you actually understand how the magic system works and didn't make the mistake of thinking that Magirock was a limited resource.

Which basically nobody ever does on their first play-through, because the game doesn't even try to make it apparent to you. Oh Terranigma.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Bloody Mary is funny because it's a completely trivially easy fight .... as long as you actually understand how the magic system works and didn't make the mistake of thinking that Magirock was a limited resource.

Which basically nobody ever does on their first play-through, because the game doesn't even try to make it apparent to you. Oh Terranigma.
Fun fact: Most bosses don't let you use magic during them either, so even if you do know that magirock isn't consumed when you use magic, and have been using magic, you probably wouldn't think to use it against her!

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Oh right I completely forgot about that part too. The game just gives you a 'you can't use magic here' message on a bunch of bosses, but on others it works fine??

The whole magic system feels pretty tacked on in general. Reminds me a lot of Ys5, which locks you out of using magic on bosses, and using it on normal enemies is actively detrimental to you because you gain separate levels for Magic spells (which take away from you earning Melee XP which actually gives you more HP too).

On Secret of Mana, one nice thing about all the bugs is that once you understand how to overcharge your weapons, magic becomes completely irrelevant and thus the game becomes waaaaay the hell better!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zereth posted:

Fun fact: Most bosses don't let you use magic during them either, so even if you do know that magirock isn't consumed when you use magic, and have been using magic, you probably wouldn't think to use it against her!

None of the bosses let you use magic against them from the menu. The only way to use magic rings against bosses is by equipping the Jewelry Box, which you probably haven't been doing since in every area that isn't a boss room, you can just use magic rings whenever :eng101:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

None of the bosses let you use magic against them from the menu. The only way to use magic rings against bosses is by equipping the Jewelry Box, which you probably haven't been doing since in every area that isn't a boss room, you can just use magic rings whenever :eng101:

I don't even remember the Jewelry Box being a thing that you could equip! :moncole:

I was going to say "Existed" but I remembered I didn't remember what the thing you kept your magic in was called.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

That entire design is just a mind bogglingly terrible thing in what is otherwise a good game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The White Dragon posted:

You can use magic rings on Bloody Mary but none of the bosses prior to her take much damage from magic so why would you even try

When I got to her I didn't have any magic, because I didn't buy any, because it's mostly useless. Had to backtrack through most of the game to buy enough rings to kill her

Rad Shadow
Sep 30, 2009

avoraciopoctules posted:

Are we still posting top 10 lists?

1. Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, Chapter 1 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa
2. Dark Sun: Shattered Lands
3. Baldur's Gate 2
4. Al-Qadim: The Genie's Curse
5. Ys: Origins
6. Summoner 2
7. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
8. Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
9. Super Mario RPG
10. Planescape: Torment

I hear Radiant Historia's pretty cool, haven't tried it yet, and I'm playing through Pillars of Eternity right now.

YES!

The more lists, the better this project comes.

Keep the top 10 favorite RPG lists coming!

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

You can use magic rings on Bloody Mary but none of the bosses prior to her take much damage from magic so why would you even try

When I got to her I didn't have any magic, because I didn't buy any, because it's mostly useless. Had to backtrack through most of the game to buy enough rings to kill her

the damage formula is dumb too

underleveled and even magic will do very little damage to her

as for physical attacks, it's usually stuff like if you're level 19 you will do one damage to something, and if you get to level 20 you will suddenly do 20 damage.

I think terranigma is good until you revive humanity and then it becomes really really awful.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Just got back into XS III and uh, why does Margulis have Jin's swimsuit in his private quarters? :raise:

Ugh, I really don't want to go back and rescue Shion. Just let her stay with her stupid, smug, dead, genocidal fiance.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i killed bloody mary by hitting her for 1 damage a poo poo load of times. gently caress bloody mary.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I love terranigma but the thought of fighting bloody mary, security robot, and dark gaia again make me not wanna play it again. I heard security robot's better with the enbu pike but my first run through I didn't resurrect mu like I thought I had so no enbu pike for me.

I also don't like the idea of going through that one forest maze again to wherever elle lived (or whatever was in there that you had to go through the maze multiple times to complete the game) because that maze was just annoying

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Thank you for arousing me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Terper posted:

Thank you for arousing me.

Hey now, this isn't the Vita thread.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ok, I'll get in on the top 10 list train.

1) Baldur's Gate II Complete
2) Final Fantasy VI
3) The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
4) Fallout New Vegas
5) Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
6) Persona 4
7) Might and Magic VII
8) Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
9) Final Fantasy IV
10) King's Bounty: Armored Princess

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Bloody Mary sucks, but she's got nothing on that loving forced stealth castle where the guards had no fixed patterns and you get kicked out of the whole drat level every time you get spotted.

GulagDolls posted:

I think terranigma is good until you revive humanity and then it becomes really really awful.

:hfive:

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Whos the hottest RPG babe?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Nice. if other people could also include pictures with their answers, Im sure we'd all appreciate it.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
This thread pwns. Thank you so much for the picture of Mitsuru

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I'm always here to help, friend

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I.N.R.I posted:

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Kuja is nice... dubious peanis tho. U think he tapes it down?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

My tastes change too much for a "top 10 favorites" list to be of any kind of use so this is "top 10 formative RPGs" that formed my opinion of RPGs as a genre. Listed in the order I played them, not importance.

1. Earthbound
2. Chrono Trigger
3. Betrayal at Krondor
4. Parasite Eve
5. Grandia
6. Legend of Mana
7. Baldur's Gate 2
8. Deus Ex
9. Alpha Protocol
10. Persona 4: Golden

I.N.R.I posted:

:nws: meow

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

FirstAidKite posted:

I love terranigma but the thought of fighting bloody mary, security robot, and dark gaia again make me not wanna play it again. I heard security robot's better with the enbu pike but my first run through I didn't resurrect mu like I thought I had so no enbu pike for me.

I also don't like the idea of going through that one forest maze again to wherever elle lived (or whatever was in there that you had to go through the maze multiple times to complete the game) because that maze was just annoying

Nah Dark Gaia is weaksauce (... because I always grind to a stupid high level on the robots in Beruga's Castle), but the Security Robot and Bloody Mary both suck. I got really good at the dash attack dodge, though!

I.N.R.I posted:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I.N.R.I posted:

okay

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

I.N.R.I posted:

be still, my anime heart

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

I.N.R.I posted:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

I.N.R.I posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVibNKrp8sQ

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Resonance of Fate was a good game.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I love Western RPGs. But I've played almost all of them. So I'm looking to expand my horizons.

In particular, I think Black Isle Studios/Obsidian represent the apex of RPG design. I also like Bethesda's open world games for their exploration/simulating other worlds design, but find their story and writing dire(outside of static books that are unrelated to the actual games). I don't really like Bioware. I do like old schoolish dungeon crawlers(Wizardry 8, for example). I think the dungeon crawler probably represents my best opportunity to find enjoyable games from Japan, as I love turn based combat and this has faded in popularity in the West(notwithstanding Divinity and XCOM). I also really like complicated item crafting/customization systems.

My top three Western RPGs are, as of this moment: Fallout: New Vegas, Planescape:Torment, and Morrowind.

I've played and enjoyed the following games already: ChronoTrigger, Final Fantasy 6, and Suikoden 1-2. Oh, and Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together. I bought a PSP for this and absolutely consider it worth the purchase, one of my favorite games ever let alone amongst jRPGs.

I am open minded about art style but really creeped out by sexualizing young characters which I see so often in videoclips here. I care about voiceacting and don't really like the extremely exaggerated voice acting also found in a lot of clips here. A decent translation is also important. I care about story but I don't mind a bare bones story and in fact prefer it to a poor story shoved in your face(this is why I prefer Bethesda to Bioware). One aspect of Suikoden I really loved that I've rarely seen replicated in Western games is the base construction(also one of my favorite features of Neverwinter Nights 2; the new "retro" games coming out of Kickstarter seem to like this idea but implement it in a half assed manner).

Here's what I'm looking at as Eastern games I may enjoy:

Nier
Persona 3-4
Valkria Chronicles
Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
I picked up Resonance of Fate really cheaply but the clip in the post above mine this may have been a waste.

Any feedback on this list? Any additional suggestions? I also love the idea of a sci fi rpg where you have a ship and fly around and solve problems(like a more freeform Mass Effect). It looked like Star Ocean could have been that, but every clip I've ever seen of it makes it look super creepy and uncomfortable.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Don't play Persona 3-4 if sexy high schoolers isn't your jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oh also, if you loved Tactics Ogre that much, check out some other stuff by a lot of the same team: Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story, the rest of the Ogre series...