Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Hold the small left button in front of the left trigger.

I also fret over when I should look for new and better gear. Do I really have to wait til 17 to get the Cat school stuff?

I wasn't loving around; their level requirement is 14. Just because the quest suggests being level 17 doesn't mean you have to wait until then. I've never had significant problems with any green quest; patience practice have got me through several red ones as well.

Playing on B&BB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Hold the small left button in front of the left trigger.

I also fret over when I should look for new and better gear. Do I really have to wait til 17 to get the Cat school stuff?

You don't need to hold down LB, you can just tap it and once you select something it will exit automatically, or you can exit by tapping LB again.

I also fret over where to find new and better gear, around level 8.

I'd love to play on Bed Bath & Beyond, Geralt must smell really bad what with the carrying around heaps of monster bits and never bathing.

snipermonkey
Jun 30, 2010
So I have a 5 year old desktop, how well can I expect this game to work on it?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

The Crooked Warden posted:

I wasn't loving around; their level requirement is 14. Just because the quest suggests being level 17 doesn't mean you have to wait until then. I've never had significant problems with any green quest; patience practice have got me through several red ones as well.

Playing on B&BB.

Sounds pretty dope, especially since a full set of light armor is a +20% damage / +100% crit damage boost for a one-point skill dip and it seems like you can stack up more crit boosts from other items like runes and Assassin's gloves.

snipermonkey posted:

So I have a 5 year old desktop, how well can I expect this game to work on it?

I'm playing this on what was a $1,000 homebuilt desktop four years ago. It's clearly a bit strained by the game but it's a workable experience and it still looks really good even on low/medium settings if you aren't used to ultra-bleeding-edge modern graphics.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 24, 2015

GatewayOfLastResort
Oct 11, 2007

I'm saving up such a laugh.

Arglebargle III posted:

You don't need to hold down LB, you can just tap it and once you select something it will exit automatically, or you can exit by tapping LB again.

I also fret over where to find new and better gear, around level 8.

I'd love to play on Bed Bath & Beyond, Geralt must smell really bad what with the carrying around heaps of monster bits and never bathing.

The griffin set is available in its entirety at level 8, just check some armor/blacksmiths for maps.

GatewayOfLastResort fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 24, 2015

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Everything about this game is excellent: the music, the voice acting, the game play, the story, hell even installing it was a treat, the GoG hard copy is anyway. funny that one thing can get so much right. the only improvements I could imagine is if it had a Bethesda style modding system. I haven't experienced any crashing though I know others are. compared to the last pc game I bought, Inquisition, which probably crashed upwards of 100 times for me by time I beat it.

I'm probably in the minority on this, but I much prefer GoG Galaxy to Steam, and I hope either GoG dethrones steam, or steam adopts GoG's model, neither of which are too likely to happen.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
I have a sinking suspicion that not killing Jad Karadin in Lambert's questline is going to bite me in the rear end. Dude just seemed way too chill though.

...this is going to be the Pesta all over again, isn't it?

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I have played the games in this series probably for a collective 45 minutes and I am now about to launch into the Witcher 3. Watch along, maybe?

http://www.twitch.tv/dork_rex

Is there a reason you're not healing yourself? Stuff gets much easier when you're not getting one-shotted because you're almost dead. :)

Edit: Drink water/eat food to heal.

aas Bandit fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 24, 2015

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Geralt to goat: "Run you stupid piece of poo poo!!!" :)

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Everything about this game is excellent: the music, the voice acting, the game play, the story, hell even installing it was a treat, the GoG hard copy is anyway. funny that one thing can get so much right. the only improvements I could imagine is if it had a Bethesda style modding system. I haven't experienced any crashing though I know others are. compared to the last pc game I bought, Inquisition, which probably crashed upwards of 100 times for me by time I beat it.

I'm probably in the minority on this, but I much prefer GoG Galaxy to Steam, and I hope either GoG dethrones steam, or steam adopts GoG's model, neither of which are too likely to happen.

GoG Galaxy is inferior to Steam in literally every way.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

chaosapiant posted:

Geralt to goat: "Run you stupid piece of poo poo!!!" :)

That whole quest has great lines. *massive sigh* yes I'll get your goat for you. :lol:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Is there a recommended mod for removing the dark mode weapon effect from Witcher 2? Cause I gotta say, it's hella annoying.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Relentlessboredomm posted:

There better not be a reason to let Whoreson Junior live. I mean after seeing his loving psycho whore murder/torture chamber there was no way I was going to let him go.

It seems that it won't really matter if you kill him or not, as the other crimebosses of Novigrad loving hated him and Whoreson was really only able to avoid them because he was protected by Radovid, who has basically abandoned him. It's pretty clear Whoreson is hosed either way.

Arglebargle III posted:

No, I think you'll find Skyrim is bigger on PC at least.

Nah, having just got to Skellige, I think I agree with Deaderinred. Skyrim being one contiguous area and with horse travel not being nearly as convenient makes it seem quite a bit bigger than it is.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

No, I think you'll find Skyrim is bigger on PC at least.

woah was the big skyrim map exclusive to PC!?!?

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
What is the "target level" for finishing the game? Are these level 30+ quests supposed to be postgame content?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

NicelyNice posted:

What is the "target level" for finishing the game? Are these level 30+ quests supposed to be postgame content?

I was 31 at game end.

I found a loving 42 sword Diagram in that one Ancient Crypt or w/e where you go with Phillipa to get the Sunstone.

Thing is 120 damage above my current Level 20 Moonblade. I guess its just there for the guys who grind, because I dont think 42 is really accessible for regular players.

Name is the Toch-something blade, IIRC. Its some Elven world name idk.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

I was 31 at game end.

I found a loving 42 sword Diagram in that one Ancient Crypt or w/e where you go with Phillipa to get the Sunstone.

Thing is 120 damage above my current Level 20 Moonblade. I guess its just there for the guys who grind, because I dont think 42 is really accessible for regular players.

Name is the Toch-something blade, IIRC. Its some Elven world name idk.

What about if you go for 100% (or even, like, 90%) completion on quests? I know I have a schematic for a level 32 or so weapon already and I'm only level 8.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Oh it probably isnt like 100% impossible of course, but it just seems way the gently caress up there since most story quests give much more EXP than sidequests. My current gear is 31 (Masterwork Ursine is pro as gently caress visually).

On that note, anyone not get the proper "visual" upgrade for Superior Ursine Armor? I kept the weird padded look from the lower tier, but according to google it was supposed to change a few times. It just went from Normal padded armor to chainmail for me, none of the in-betweens :(

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Spoilers for Cerys' quest. The ending to this quest is kind of baffling. It never explains how they get the baby out of the oven so I'm just going to assume there was a hole in the wall behind it I didn't see, but even then Geralt still just murdered a bunch of guards that were trying to stop him from burning a baby. The Hym doesn't really have any reason to bail.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Why will it say "you already have this item" when I'm trying to craft something when I don't. For example, I wan't to make more swallow potion and have all of the components, but it won't allow me and just gives me this message when I try to craft any. I'm completely out though... Does the same thing with thunderbolt.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

NESguerilla posted:

Why will it say "you already have this item" when I'm trying to craft something when I don't. For example, I wan't to make more swallow potion and have all of the components, but it won't allow me and just gives me this message when I try to craft any. I'm completely out though... Does the same thing with thunderbolt.

Meditate for an hour and it'll refill all your potions and bombs for the cost of one alcohol.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

You can only craft one of each potion. Potions refill when you meditate as long as you have alcoholst.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ohh. Ok cool.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

ImpAtom posted:

You can only craft one of each potion. Potions refill when you meditate as long as you have alcoholst.

Any alcohol really, alcoholst is the top of the list it uses. If you don't have any it just moves onto the next one in your inventory.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
And I might be wrong, but it uses alchemic ingredient alcohol, not food alcohol like beer or wines

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Any alcohol really, alcoholst is the top of the list it uses. If you don't have any it just moves onto the next one in your inventory.

Huh, that's interesting. I have like ten billion alcoholsts and it mentions it by name so I assumed it was only that, but if it works for anything then great. I assume it's just alchemic-alcohol and you can't refill your death potions with the fifty beers Geralt keeps in his pants.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Calaveron posted:

And I might be wrong, but it uses alchemic ingredient alcohol, not food alcohol like beer or wines

I happen to not have any Alcohest on me and it used a Dwarven Spirit. I believe the wording was "any strong alcohol".

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Huh, that's interesting. I have like ten billion alcoholsts and it mentions it by name so I assumed it was only that, but if it works for anything then great. I assume it's just alchemic-alcohol and you can't refill your death potions with the fifty beers Geralt keeps in his pants.
Yeah, its "strong alcohol" prefering alcoholest and then moving down some unknown list. Dwarven Spirit was my next-picked. You also refill your decoctions (I hear, I haven't crafted any yet), bombs, and oils. The last two are totally free to replenish, by the way.

Is there any armor (preferably light) that has the long leg armor (chausses?) the Bear set does?

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man
Do different barbers offer different styles?

I just want a drat buzz cut. The shortest I've been able to find so far is something resembling Japanese RPG emo dude hair.

Nien
Apr 29, 2013
So I have been alternating between reading the books and playing the game. The books are good and are a like fritz lieb in the episodic type nature (Geralt kills this monster then that monster) and have a similar gritty feel to glen cook's black company before they went south and sucked balls.

Good Saturday afternoon reading.

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007
Finally got my rear end to Skellige...and immediately punched out the first native I see. Geralt makes a great first impression. Now onward to crippling kleptomania!

Edit: Oh, and when you get there be sure to loot the stuff on the beach thoroughly...lot of good stuff to hopefully help you recoup some of that ship rental fee. Also a monster nest and place of power right off the bat.

Zoo06 fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 24, 2015

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Nien posted:

So I have been alternating between reading the books and playing the game. The books are good and are a like fritz lieb in the episodic type nature (Geralt kills this monster then that monster) and have a similar gritty feel to glen cook's black company before they went south and sucked balls.

Good Saturday afternoon reading.

Only one or two of the books are actually episodic like that because they're just collections of short stories, the rest of them follow a continuous story (which I liked better).

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Hold on a sec, I just found a book saying that Radovid was born in 1255. The game takes place in 1272. So... he's 17?

He really didn't look that young in TW2, but if he's actually supposed to be that young, (witcher 3 beginning and witcher 2 end spoilers) him instigating witch hunts just because he resents Phillippa totally makes sense.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Party Plane Jones posted:

Is there a recommended mod for removing the dark mode weapon effect from Witcher 2? Cause I gotta say, it's hella annoying.

this one

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

woah was the big skyrim map exclusive to PC!?!?

Just assuming, I wouldn't know what it was like on console.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Quick question, just looking for some confirmation--only the main plot points of W2 affect W3, right? I played W3 for a few hours then decided I wanted to see the plot of W2 firsthand, and I'm hoping I can just plow through the main questline without causing some negative changes in W3 (cough Mass Effect).

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Elysiume posted:

Quick question, just looking for some confirmation--only the main plot points of W2 affect W3, right? I played W3 for a few hours then decided I wanted to see the plot of W2 firsthand, and I'm hoping I can just plow through the main questline without causing some negative changes in W3 (cough Mass Effect).

Pretty much.

Did you side with Roche/other dude?

Did you let the main villain live at the end?

What happened to Phillipa/Triss?

Those are the ones that come to mind as being plot-points in 3.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I can't find a reference to it in the thread, which I assume means search is broken again, but how exactly do I use the magic lamp to talk to ghosts? Is it supposed to be in my inventory? Because it doesn't seem to be.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Some of the decoctions are ridiculously powerful. Even if you focus on another set of skills, at least grab the mutation one in the alchemy line. My ekkimaras decoction lasts 40 minutes and heals me every time I hit an enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Memento posted:

I can't find a reference to it in the thread, which I assume means search is broken again, but how exactly do I use the magic lamp to talk to ghosts? Is it supposed to be in my inventory? Because it doesn't seem to be.

Bust it out pressing the same button as the crossbow, after selecting it on the menu with the different Signs. Except on the bottom.

You'll just sort of hold it out, and if it shines where a ghost is in the area, they'll speak.