Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I'd hardly call Mayday/MC2 Spider-Girl a failure. She still has the longest running, ongoing female series published in Marvel with 100 issues (and I think there was an Annual or two thrown in there as well) plus a relaunch series that happened almost right after. People can debate about the quality, but it existed and it ran for a long loving time. A 100 issue run is something few new or teenage characters will even get close to. I love Ms. Marvel but I think it'll be years and combining a bunch of minis and guest appearances when Marvel wants to fake an issue 100 for her.

Someone once said about Peter David that when he uses a character, he's going to write how they've been established and he's not going to ignore the last story they were in. He might try to twist some things around to make it work for him, but he's not going to flat out ignore it. Hickman has been doing that a lot in Avengers as well, not just in costume changes but the mood and how the characters act with each other. In contrast, Bendis and Slott often completely ignore how characters have been written even when their last appearance were major stories. For Bendis, just look at how he wrote Hood and Marvel Boy. Slott wrote a horrible annual with Doc Ock's Sinister Six taking on the Wizard's team and it completely ignored Wizard's character arc in Hickman's FF. Spider-Girl/Mayday in Spider-Verse barely resembled how Mayday was in MC2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Don't you mean how 'You' were in MC2? (I like Spider-Girl, but let's be real, the book would've been better if Defalco had let someone else take a shot by like issue 20. Hell, the one issue that IS by someone else is a revelation in how refreshing it is.)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

notthegoatseguy posted:

I'd hardly call Mayday/MC2 Spider-Girl a failure. She still has the longest running, ongoing female series published in Marvel with 100 issues (and I think there was an Annual or two thrown in there as well) plus a relaunch series that happened almost right after. People can debate about the quality, but it existed and it ran for a long loving time. A 100 issue run is something few new or teenage characters will even get close to. I love Ms. Marvel but I think it'll be years and combining a bunch of minis and guest appearances when Marvel wants to fake an issue 100 for her.

Someone once said about Peter David that when he uses a character, he's going to write how they've been established and he's not going to ignore the last story they were in. He might try to twist some things around to make it work for him, but he's not going to flat out ignore it. Hickman has been doing that a lot in Avengers as well, not just in costume changes but the mood and how the characters act with each other. In contrast, Bendis and Slott often completely ignore how characters have been written even when their last appearance were major stories. For Bendis, just look at how he wrote Hood and Marvel Boy. Slott wrote a horrible annual with Doc Ock's Sinister Six taking on the Wizard's team and it completely ignored Wizard's character arc in Hickman's FF. Spider-Girl/Mayday in Spider-Verse barely resembled how Mayday was in MC2
Yeah, that's pretty much the basis of my complaint. While on paper she's not really that important, if you know about It felt like she was only used for name recognition, rather than because he cared about what made her good in the first place (his destruction of all that is compelling evidence in that regard).

Gaz-L posted:

Don't you mean how 'You' were in MC2? (I like Spider-Girl, but let's be real, the book would've been better if Defalco had let someone else take a shot by like issue 20. Hell, the one issue that IS by someone else is a revelation in how refreshing it is.)
Well when you consider what happened the second time another writer got their hands on the character...but in all seriousness, I'd like to see a new creative team take over the book (I mean G. Willow Wilson would be an ideal pick for that if Marvel was giving Spider-Girl a real push), but Slott's left a rather large elephant in the room for future writers to deal with-namely everything that happened in Spider-Verse. Now it's all well and good to try new things with characters, but ideally it should be undertaken by a writer who's actually planning to do something with it-I mean Conway didn't come onto ASM, kill Gwen Stacy & then waltz away again.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

There's still people who claim JM Dematteis ruined Spider-man by killing Harry and Kraven, so sometimes you just can't win.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lurdiak posted:

There's still people who claim JM Dematteis ruined Spider-man by killing Harry and Kraven, so sometimes you just can't win.

And some of those people went on to write Brand New Day & Grim Hunt!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

And some of those people went on to write Brand New Day & Grim Hunt!

I'll let history judge them.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lurdiak posted:

I'll let history judge them.

History awards the point to DeMatteis.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, but Roger Stern was one of those guys, wasn't he? And Roger Stern also thought it was a bad idea for Peter Parker to get married.

Personally, I don't know what to believe any more.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Roger Stern had a lot of bad ideas.

Also I still find it hilarious they brought Harry back and still haven't done a thing with the dude.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Also I still find it hilarious they brought Harry back and still haven't done a thing with the dude.

Yeah, that's by far the funniest part of all this. Bringing Harry back was like their power goal next to ending the marriage and letting Peter be a swinging bachelor again. Harry just kind of floundered around not doing anything and making Pete look like a manchild by having 2 kids and an ex-wife while Pete has yet to settle down, then he vanished. As for Pete's new love interests... what a memorable bunch of characters that was!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Norah Winters was great.

Speaking of the Brand New Day era, wasn't there a Cindy Moon or something Moon working at Mayor Jameson's office? She may have been Black Cat in disguise. Whatever happened with that?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, that's by far the funniest part of all this. Bringing Harry back was like their power goal next to ending the marriage and letting Peter be a swinging bachelor again. Harry just kind of floundered around not doing anything and making Pete look like a manchild by having 2 kids and an ex-wife while Pete has yet to settle down, then he vanished. As for Pete's new love interests... what a memorable bunch of characters that was!

Yeah it is really a bad idea to highlight how a character whose big draw is his personal life, is really stagnant and boring. Which makes the Spider verse poo poo make sense, though you can only keep that going for so long.

Die Laughing posted:

Norah Winters was great.

Speaking of the Brand New Day era, wasn't there a Cindy Moon or something Moon working at Mayor Jameson's office? She may have been Black Cat in disguise. Whatever happened with that?
She got dropped like a lot of plot points of the era.

Really if you are gonna have multiple writers these things are bound to happen. Unless you plan it out beforehand, which BND doesn't really seem to have been.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Case in point, I forgot they did this until literally this post.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yeah, but Roger Stern was one of those guys, wasn't he? And Roger Stern also thought it was a bad idea for Peter Parker to get married.

Personally, I don't know what to believe any more.
Actually Roger Stern stated he might have considered marrying Peter off, just not to Mary Jane.

Lurdiak posted:

See, on paper expanding the supporting cast is a good idea-I mean, as good as JMS' run on Amazing was, it basically boiled down to being Peter, MJ & Aunt May, and any other supporting cast were superheroes. It's just most of the new supporting cast were loving intolerable.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 24, 2015

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Probably his OC.

I am actually surprised that isn't what happened really.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yvonmukluk posted:

Actually Roger Stern stated he might have considered marrying Peter off, just not to Mary Jane.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Probably his OC.

So... Peter Parker would have married Monica Rambeau?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

nvm got confused

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wheat Loaf posted:

So... Peter Parker would have married Monica Rambeau?

Wouldn't be the first Captain Marvel he's dated (well, technically it would, but you know what I mean).

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The thing I don't get is they wanted Peter to be able to date people. So then every person they had him date who maybe caught on a bit and people like they then immediately dropped. It's like Marvel just hates the idea of people enjoying Peter being in a relationship.

"Oh, you like him married to MJ? gently caress YOU!"

"Oh, hey, it seems like people like the idea of him and Captain Marvel dating? Better say how stupid it is and have them never alone again!"

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I wasn't reading comics at the time but I kinda thought it was more that there were, like, five writers during BND and everyone had someone they wanted Peter to end up with, so they were all just building up relationships whenever it was their turn with the pen until Slott scored Big Time and made Carlie Cooper actually end up with Peter for a bit.

radlum
May 13, 2013

TheJoker138 posted:

The thing I don't get is they wanted Peter to be able to date people. So then every person they had him date who maybe caught on a bit and people like they then immediately dropped. It's like Marvel just hates the idea of people enjoying Peter being in a relationship.

"Oh, you like him married to MJ? gently caress YOU!"

"Oh, hey, it seems like people like the idea of him and Captain Marvel dating? Better say how stupid it is and have them never alone again!"

I'm surprised that the push for Carol to be a bigger part of the Marvel Universe didn't bring back Peter as her love interest. I actually liked them together.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

radlum posted:

I'm surprised that the push for Carol to be a bigger part of the Marvel Universe didn't bring back Peter as her love interest. I actually liked them together.

DeConnick had some kinda problem with it, and I'm pretty sure Slott was totally against it because it wasn't Carlie Cooper it didn't allow for scenarios where Peter's love interest is in danger or scenarios where he has to lie to his date to cover up his superheroism.

I'm sure someone tried to tell him on twitter these were positives and he blocked them.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

DeConnick had some kinda problem with it, and I'm pretty sure Slott was totally against it because it wasn't Carlie Cooper it didn't allow for scenarios where Peter's love interest is in danger or scenarios where he has to lie to his date to cover up his superheroism.

I'm sure someone tried to tell him on twitter these were positives and he blocked them.

To be fair, I am pretty sure that 90% of the writers who wanted that status quo back wanted exactly for those reasons as well.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The only good thing to come out of Peter being single again was that one issue of Hickman's FF where he and Johnny Storm are roommates. I would read the gently caress out of a miniseries titled "What if... Spider-Man didn't throw the Human Torch out of his apartment."

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Skwirl posted:

The only good thing to come out of Peter being single again was that one issue of Hickman's FF where he and Johnny Storm are roommates. I would read the gently caress out of a miniseries titled "What if... Spider-Man didn't throw the Human Torch out of his apartment."

What issue was that?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

What issue was that?

17. It's amazing, spectacular even.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Carol's too much of a bad rear end to date a dweeb like Parker.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Roger Stern isn't a fan of the marriage but if you look at his run, it makes sense. At that point in time, he had proposed to MJ, she said no, and had left town (the country?). I like the marriage but the way it was introduced into the comics (all because Stan Lee was marrying then in the newspaper strip) was REALLY rushed.

Stern's run, while great, loses some luster because other writers (and I think Marvel's EIC at the time too) kept loving around with the Hobgoblin mystery.

You can both like Last Hunt and Grim Hunt. I know I do. And JMD wrote a backup story so to me that was kind of his blessing right there.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Die Laughing posted:

Carol's too much of a bad rear end to date a dweeb like Parker.

That's what made it work, Parker is the complete opposite of Mahr-Vehl.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Have Peter and Carol dating but the twist: Spider-Man is the damsel who keeps getting saved by Captain Marvel and it makes him feel inferior.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Flameingblack posted:

Have Peter and Carol dating but the twist: Spider-Man is the damsel who keeps getting saved by Captain Marvel and it makes him feel inferior.

That's pretty much what happened in the 2 issues they did date

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Dacap posted:

That's pretty much what happened in the 2 issues they did date

I'm gonna go ahead and assume that at some point he runs out of web and gets carried by Carol all Amazing Fantasy 15 style.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well, here's the lettered preview of Renew Your Vows.

The subtitle is 'why we can't have nice things'. Ugh. :arghfist::spidey:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Everything about the Regent makes him sound like a late 90's Spider-Man villain, which is great

Like maybe they should have named him Regicide

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm not sure this could be more unsubtle, short of the villain being Ed Toryal who runs MJ and Peter's kid over with his Fiat.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

So it's going to be a "It turns out if Peter and MJ were married everyone would die!!!" story? Lame. Those are the most cop-out what-ifs.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Regent was going to be DC's Captain Atom, but too many people guessed it so they swapped in Kaine at the last minute and told readers the clues were always there.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well, here's the lettered preview of Renew Your Vows.

The worst part is that I kinda dig the idea of street-level heroes starting to get killed, like having superheroism as a stand-in for high-risk careers like journalism and so the husband/parent gets a harsh choice of the career he loves or trying to find anything else that he'd hate but pays the bills for his family and is safe. It's a classic story. Slott is going to make it awful four pages after that preview ended...

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and assume that at some point he runs out of web and gets carried by Carol all Amazing Fantasy 15 style.

If I recall one of the issues they were having dinner and a supervillain attacked and she just ended up handling it herself because he wouldn't be able to help without revealing his identity to the other people at the restaurant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

What comics were Peter and Carol dating in? I honestly don't remember that at all.

• Locked thread