Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Bah, ain't nothing to fear.
Ekimmaras, why, they aren't nothing but overgrown bats."

- Anonymous city guardsman's last words

The bestiary writing is fantastic all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Badly Jester posted:

Haven't gotten that far yet, but it sure seems like the games make Yennefer seem like even more of a bitch than she is in the books. I mean, yeah, she's a bit much sometimes, but there's a reason why Geralt loves her so much. From what I've seen in the games so far, it's really hard to see that side of her, and Geralt just looks like a pussy whipped weakling.

Well to be fair this was right after a marathon sex session with her and she also really needed the rest to prepare. They boys were being very irresponsible, but hilarious!

The Lone Badger posted:

How do you get decent cards? My enemies keep pulling out 10-strength heroes and I can't get anything like that.

Visit every innkeeper and buy the cards they're selling. Then play against vendors to get more basic cards and follow the quest to play against named opponents to get unique cards. Hero cards don't show up until you've gone through a few of those IIRC. There's different approaches to winning, you can ruin their day with weather effects, overpower them with the Northern Realms multiplier cards (commandos, catapults, the archer dudes) plus battle horn, get a ton of cards through spies (pick up any spies they play with decoys and re-play them).

GatewayOfLastResort
Oct 11, 2007

I'm saving up such a laugh.

The Lone Badger posted:

How do you get decent cards? My enemies keep pulling out 10-strength heroes and I can't get anything like that.

Play EVERY merchant and do the Velen players quest (this gets you Roche, which will generally be the easiest 10 hero to get.) I got the Yennefer card off some completely random merchant in Velen. She's a 7 power long range hero with the medic ability. Until you actually get cards the main strategy is to know when to throw rounds so as to waste your opponnent's cards. Also liberal use of weather cards. Biting frost screws over monster players. Impenetrable fog is great for Scoia'tael. Torrential Rain is handy against the Northern Realms but can screw you too. Nilfgaard also seems suspectible to biting frost too though it's more balanced.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Vodos posted:

Well to be fair this was right after a marathon sex session with her and she also really needed the rest to prepare. They boys were being very irresponsible, but hilarious!

Visit every innkeeper and buy the cards they're selling. Then play against vendors to get more basic cards and follow the quest to play against named opponents to get unique cards. Hero cards don't show up until you've gone through a few of those IIRC. There's different approaches to winning, you can ruin their day with weather effects, overpower them with the Northern Realms multiplier cards (commandos, catapults, the archer dudes) plus battle horn, get a ton of cards through spies (pick up any spies they play with decoys and re-play them).

One thing which I found to be key is not to focus on weather too much in the beginning. If you only have lovely cards with low attack values, you at least need the volume to win and can't afford to hold much in the way of utility cards. Having two spies and maybe even a medic is a game changer, though, because you can afford to give up the first round for extra cards. The medic helps because you can use a strong card to bait the opponent into using more of his cards than he actually has to, so you can further your card advantage. This often works on the lower level players.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Once you get some good cards under your belt, you can just fill your deck with heroes, weather cards, and a few spies, and win effortlessly. I haven't lost a single game since the first few opponents in Velen.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Norns posted:

loving sucks don't play it.

How good could a game be when they've misspelled the name Jennifer constantly. Pfft, Yennifer, that's not how that works.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

Robutt posted:

Holy poo poo there's a tyromancer in this game?! Tyromancy has always been my go-to for weirdo seer-type characters in my DnD campaigns. Please spoil me and tell me where they are.

It's a sidequest I got from talking to a merchant in Novigrad. He mentions he has the belongings of a recently deceased mage and you can buy two statuettes off him for a palty sum. Aeramas was the mage's name. You take one statue to Triss and the other you use at the mage's house to open a portal into his underground cheese farm and you find notes talking about him getting high off cheese fumes.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
God I hate sorceresses so much!

that Kiera slag got what was coming to her for lying to me and casting fuckin spells at me!

Also Triss is the worst.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill

Aesis posted:

No, I looked up and this specific weapon is scaled to current player level upon being rewarded. I'm wondering if it'll scale back up if it's a 'Relic' type of weapon.

Godfuckingdammit I thought about this possibility when I did that quest early but ignored it. I did it earlier today at level 14, recommended level was 24. :v: Killing those dwarves was a bitch but I managed...all to get a gimped mastersword. THANKS GAME 0/10 UNINSTALLING.

e. Seriously, I figured worst case it would give me a sword I couldn't use until level 20. Why is this item scaled to level? :colbert:

ee. Super seriously, I was expecting a badass SWORD FIT FOR KILLING GODS and my Feline sword was better. :smith:

Archimago fucked around with this message at 11:12 on May 24, 2015

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Is there a list of inns in Velen? Is it just oxenfurt and crossroads?

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

God I hate sorceresses so much!

that Kiera slag got what was coming to her for lying to me and casting fuckin spells at me!

Also Triss is the worst.

But she was tired of living like a peasant, you heartless prick. To be honest, I was surprised how quickly that particular dialog escalated, which wasn't my intention, so I reloaded. It's easy to talk her out of it and keep the data, too. You can even send her to Kaer Morhen.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Badly Jester posted:

But she was tired of living like a peasant, you heartless prick. To be honest, I was surprised how quickly that particular dialog escalated, which wasn't my intention, so I reloaded. It's easy to talk her out of it and keep the data, too. You can even send her to Kaer Morhen.

Wait really? Huh, I must've picked the "wrong" option right from the start then, because I remember my conversation getting to the nuclear option almost immediately. Oh well.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Badly Jester posted:

she attacked me first after casting spells on me to steal potentially deadly research, she's dangerous so she ate sword. :colbert:

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
So i found something that's driving me absolutely bonkers, east of the Crossroads waypoint is a contract to kill a wyvern that wiped out a Nilfgaard patrol that I bumped into. I finished it up, and was walking to the camp, when a little ways east of the wyvern area, Geralt goes 'Ugh, what is that horrible stench?' I activate witcher-senses and lo and behold there's a stench trail leading through the unmarked wilderness going between little green patches of goo. However, the scent trail is extremely long and winding and thin and easy to miss and get lost, and as far as I can tell i've followed it both directions and I must be missing something since I don't see anything - it seems to end in two puddles of green slime on both ends. I must be missing something somewhere, and if I leave I'll never find it again most likely - anyone else found this?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34ub2n6F0yo

I can't tell if this is parody. "Looks like it was drawn by a child."

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Wolpertinger posted:

So i found something that's driving me absolutely bonkers, east of the Crossroads waypoint is a contract to kill a wyvern that wiped out a Nilfgaard patrol that I bumped into. I finished it up, and was walking to the camp, when a little ways east of the wyvern area, Geralt goes 'Ugh, what is that horrible stench?' I activate witcher-senses and lo and behold there's a stench trail leading through the unmarked wilderness going between little green patches of goo. However, the scent trail is extremely long and winding and thin and easy to miss and get lost, and as far as I can tell i've followed it both directions and I must be missing something since I don't see anything - it seems to end in two puddles of green slime on both ends. I must be missing something somewhere, and if I leave I'll never find it again most likely - anyone else found this?

It's just a red herring. The wyvern itself is further into the woods, just follow the tracks.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

It's just a red herring. The wyvern itself is further into the woods, just follow the tracks.

I found the wyvern already, and this is enough away from it that I'm convinced it's something unrelated, it's nowhere near the prisoner tracks, and wyverns dont' leave green goo trails on the ground.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Arglebargle III posted:

You can tell it's not a parody because nobody would make a joke video of themselves looking at screenshots for 20 loving minutes. You have to be a true hero of the internet to do that and be completely serious about it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

GatewayOfLastResort posted:

...do the Velen players quest (this gets you Roche, which will generally be the easiest 10 hero to get.)

That starts with the guy in Oxenfurt, right? He pretty much vaporised me.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

Is this guy really trying to pull of the "Why does this rendered game trailer not look like the gaaaaaaaaaammeee :byodood: argument"

He's SO ANGRY. Jesus

For those of you wondering why Hairworks has such a performance hit, look at this poo poo.

I wanna run my hands through it:

edit: compared to normal

Wicaeed fucked around with this message at 11:39 on May 24, 2015

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

VDay posted:

Wait really? Huh, I must've picked the "wrong" option right from the start then, because I remember my conversation getting to the nuclear option almost immediately. Oh well.

Helps to have powerful sorceresses on your side if you're fighting the Wild Hunt. Just saying.

GatewayOfLastResort
Oct 11, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

That starts with the guy in Oxenfurt, right? He pretty much vaporised me.

Nope starts with the Bloody Baron. You need to beat him, a boatmaker, and finally a kid. The kid has the Roche card.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

VDay posted:

Yeah, the first try was exactly like that for me as well. She responds well to a bit of empathy and reason, i.e. telling her that Radovid is batshit insane and her plan hinges on him being a rational actor. Then you tell her to go to Kaer Morhan, where she'll be safe from him.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Hahahahahahahahahaha, holy poo poo

she really wasn't in the mood

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah I went hard line on my responses to that conversation because up until then both of us had been totally reasonable people. I think even with the other conversation options it escalates way quicker than any other conversational ledge in the game, but oh well, you don't scum story quests. :colbert:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What's the key command to use a Leader Ability again? I don't seem to be able to find a way to do it in the GUI.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Oh man, I finally resolved the Baron storyline and it really is a motherfucker of a choice. After much hemming and hawing I went with freeing the spirit. The spirit certainly is dangerous, but it seems to be a danger more in the way of a wild animal, rather than an actively cruel malevolence like the crones are. Baron hanging himself kinda sucks, but honestly I'd consider the peasants in that one razed village to be a much greater loss. And arguably Anne being able to say goodbye while lucid is an ever so slightly better outcome than spending the rest of her likely short life completely out of her mind.

Still, it's absolutely the kind of thing where either choice has valid arguments for and against it. No doubt I'll find myself regretting it not too far into the future :v:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

pissdude posted:

I've been playing on a 360 controller the entire time and I've found the controls to be pretty perfect.

Yeah I tried to play with KBM at the start but it flows much better with the controller even if everything but combat is worse on the controller. Combat is when you need fluid controls the most anyway.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I will investigate all these question marks. I WILL.

I get so much cash and sweet as hell gear.

GatewayOfLastResort
Oct 11, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

What's the key command to use a Leader Ability again? I don't seem to be able to find a way to do it in the GUI.

If you're on PC you can click your leader card to the left of board (as long as you aren't playing Nilfgaard and they block you from using it :argh: ) Oh god Gwent has made me care about a card game inside a game. It's Triple Triad all over again!

E: I think the hotkey is 'x' but I've always just clicked.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I will investigate all these question marks. I WILL.

I get so much cash and sweet as hell gear.

Careful. After 70 hours there will still be question marks left.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Perestroika posted:

Oh man, I finally resolved the Baron storyline and it really is a motherfucker of a choice. After much hemming and hawing I went with freeing the spirit. The spirit certainly is dangerous, but it seems to be a danger more in the way of a wild animal, rather than an actively cruel malevolence like the crones are. Baron hanging himself kinda sucks, but honestly I'd consider the peasants in that one razed village to be a much greater loss. And arguably Anne being able to say goodbye while lucid is an ever so slightly better outcome than spending the rest of her likely short life completely out of her mind.

Still, it's absolutely the kind of thing where either choice has valid arguments for and against it. No doubt I'll find myself regretting it not too far into the future :v:

In a brilliant twist, though, the baron's successor is a major dick who sends his men out to rape and pillage. That whole quest line is just amazing in all of its shades of gray.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I should stop reading this thread because it's making me want to drop W2 and go back to W3. :argh:

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I love the fact that the monsters in this game don't scale with your level. I actually feel like I'm growing more powerful with every level I take.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Does Gwent ever get more interesting? I've beaten the Velen players and a few of the Nilfgaard players and it feels like i've got to the point where it isn't really a challenge any more. The AI is very easy to bait and i'm at the point where i don't have any generic 5 power shitters so i win most games without a problem.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

How does upgrading armor work? When the little guide for it appeared on my screen I think I accidentally closed it immediately.

Orv
May 4, 2011

me your dad posted:

How does upgrading armor work? When the little guide for it appeared on my screen I think I accidentally closed it immediately.

Craft basic piece, find diagram for enhanced piece, craft enhanced piece which requires basic as component. Twice more for Superior and Masterwork.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

me your dad posted:

Upgrades are just like ordinary crafting diagrams except the recipe requires/consumes a piece of armor you already have. Most pieces don't actually have upgrade recipes--with the exception of your starting chest piece the only upgradeable equipment I've found are green "Witcher Gear" pieces obtainable from Treasure Hunt quests.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

me your dad posted:

There's two ways, basically. For one, you can simply slot Glyphs into armor pieces that have slots in them. Secondly, for the green armor pieces (called Witcher gear) you can find upgraded diagrams through the Scavenger Hunt quests. Those you can simply craft like a regular piece of armor, and they take the respective unupgraded pieces as one of the materials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I'm just gonna go ahead and call this the best rpg of the last years, hands down. I can't even remember when I last spent an entire day playing one game, from the morning to late and night, and still not wanting to go to sleep because it's so good. I'm 28, this happened last when I was 18 or something.