Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Fulchrum posted:

...so is there a reason Duggar isn't going to jail for rape and destroying evidence?

Statue of limitations. He was also a minor himself when it happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

* :jerkbag: intensifies*

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

uncurable mlady posted:

White, well connected, statute of limitations expired.

Is on a TV show.

I mean an excuse, not the real reason.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Statue of limitations. He was also a minor himself when it happened.

...there's seriously a statute of limitations on rape and destroying evidence? And it's less than 5 years?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fulchrum posted:

...there's seriously a statute of limitations on rape and destroying evidence? And it's less than 5 years?

Rape I think legally involves penetration so I think this was defined as sexual assault

quote:

A person can commit second degree sexual assault in 6 ways:

(5) The offender engages in sexual contact with another person where the offender is a minor and the person (victim) is less than 14 years old and is not the offender’s spouse and either:

The victim, if under the age of 12, is more than three years younger than the offender; or
The victim, if 12 years of age or older, is more than four years younger than the offender;

Sexual contact: means any act of sexual gratification involving the touching, directly or through clothing, of the sex organs, buttocks, or anus of a person or the breast of a female.

http://apps.rainn.org/policy-crime-definitions/index.cfm?state=Arkansas&group=3

I didn't see statute of limitations but that's the one it would fall under I think.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

apropos to nothing posted:

Thanks for the response! Follow up, and I should have thought to ask this in my first post, but if Sanders had decided to run as an independent or third party candidate instead of as a Democrat would you still have supported him or would you have decided to just stick with the Democrats and Clinton?

Pippin' back in to say that I'd be pretty vocally supporting Hillary. No third party candidate has any honest chance of victory in this country at this time. The only reason I've been so vocally supportive of Bernie is that he chose to run on the Democratic ticket, and as such would hypothetically be able to win the general if chosen in the primaries since the Republicans are incapable of producing a politican who isn't clearly incompetent and/or evil.

If Bernie drops out and continues as an independent I would obviously vote for Hillary to prevent a worst case scenario since the guy has absolutely no chance outside of being backed fully by the Democratic party.

I think an order of magnitude more people itt acted like panicking alarmists about possible accelerationists than there were actual accelerationists btw

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

That eye roll goes back and to the left. Back and to the left. Back. And to the left.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

beautiful

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

What's the deal with the gif?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Barbe Rouge posted:

What's the deal with the gif?

Lindsey Graham (?) eye-rolling at Rand Paul. They're enemies.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Is it time to discuss Bernie Sanders' viability as a candidate again?!

I can't wait until this is down to like three posts for the whole he's a spoiler -> it doesn't matter -> vote for him in the primary then whatever in the general

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Fundraising letter from the RNC. It came with a questionnaire.

I'll include questions if anyone's interested.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Was the final question, "Will you make a donation?" That's the only response data they actually care about. They process the check, and then don't bother compiling any survey data. Making the constituency feel like their voice is heard increases donation response rates.

The majority of mail surveys are fake because that data can be compiled for less money through phone polling. Mail surveys require renting a list, cost of shipping, cost of return mailing, and then the backend costs of processing hand-written forms. It's a bad deal.. unless you know you're gonna make fat bank from the donation checks rolling in with it. Phone surveys are the only economically viable way to gather actual data. So anybody not doing it that way usually gives no fucks about the data.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 14:14 on May 24, 2015

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

1. Can the Republican National Committee count on your help to strengthen our Party as we prepare for the all-important 2016 Presidential Election?

Your choices are YES, with the usual donation amount boxes to tick. OR

__ I cannot send a donation at that level right now. But I am enclosing $15 to help pay for the cost of processing my census document.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

1. Can the Republican National Committee count on your help to strengthen our Party as we prepare for the all-important 2016 Presidential Election?

Your choices are YES, with the usual donation amount boxes to tick. OR

__ I cannot send a donation at that level right now. But I am enclosing $15 to help pay for the cost of processing my census document.

Write in "___ I cannot send any money at all because I am trapped in Obama's America. Please send help."

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Fulchrum posted:

Murder is the only crime with out a statute of limitations. For rape/assault its capped at where it is because the logic is that traumatic events get blurred in your mind fairly rapidly as a way if coping, so coming back to someone decades later to get them to testify makes it really likely that they will try to fill in details they don't actually remember by then.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Mo_Steel posted:

Write in "___ I cannot send any money at all because I am trapped in Obama's America. Please send help."

Is that like being trapped in the phantom zone?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Gravel Gravy posted:

Is that like being trapped in the phantom zone?

More like the Hotel California. :unsmigghh:

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

When did the rhetoric change from "the loyal opposition" to "scumsucking traitors who want to burn the country down while smoking a blunt made from the constitution"?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ATP_Power posted:

When did the rhetoric change from "the loyal opposition" to "scumsucking traitors who want to burn the country down while smoking a blunt made from the constitution"?

the 1800 election.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Mo_Steel posted:

More like the Hotel California. :unsmigghh:

Trapped in an Eagles song. A fate worse than death.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

computer parts posted:

the 1800 election.

Was going to post this.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
We'd already had the Alien and Sedition Acts in place for two years by then.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ATP_Power posted:

The rhetoric always changes depending whether you're part of "the loyal opposition" or have just won and have to deal with "scumsucking traitors who want to burn the country down while smoking a blunt made from the constitution". Though the blunt part is definitely post 60s/70s.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Skwirl posted:

Out of curiosity, why do you think Bill Clinton is classist?

Three strikes laws. He decided he'd rather court middle and upper class Republican votes by making a law in a country where poor blacks are already disproportionately charged and convicted because "we gotta stop the gangstas, rap music and drivebys".

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
But George Washington grew hemp, maaaaan!

The X-man cometh fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 24, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The X-man cometh posted:

But George Washington grew help, maaaaan!

I'm sure you meant hemp but he did also grow the help.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I'd be disappointed if that's all I got for four bucks too.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Naturally, Bernie's announcement will feature free ice cream. And it will be Ben & Jerry's and Ben and Jerry will speak at the event and Jerry says he wants to help serve the ice cream.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Politicians eating in public should be a big PR nono. It usually looks disgusting, never flattering, and the only outcome is some dumb memes and photoshop contests on reddit. Why?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

midnightclimax posted:

Politicians eating in public should be a big PR nono. It usually looks disgusting, never flattering, and the only outcome is some dumb memes and photoshop contests on reddit. Why?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

midnightclimax posted:

Eating is the great unifier and boy howdy if you don't eat the shittiest, localiest, nastiest, friedest crap in every hick town you can find.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

FizFashizzle posted:

Eating is the great unifier and boy howdy if you don't eat the shittiest, localiest, nastiest, friedest crap in every hick town you can find.

Don't ask for any fancypants condiments, either.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Remember in 2008 it was A Thing that Obama had arugula?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Arugula, the weed of deceit.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

FizFashizzle posted:

Remember in 2008 it was A Thing that Obama had arugula?

Would it have been worse if Obama had asked for hoity toity French's mustard

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Gravel Gravy posted:

Would it have been worse if Obama had asked for hoity toity French's mustard

I'm going to support Fox News on that one and agree that mustard on a burger is un-American. The only sauce on burgers should be gimmicky aiolis or spicy BBQ sauces.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I'm going to support Fox News on that one and agree that mustard on a burger is un-American. The only sauce on burgers should be gimmicky aiolis or spicy BBQ sauces.

:dogbutton:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Mister Macys posted:

Three strikes laws. He decided he'd rather court middle and upper class Republican votes by making a law in a country where poor blacks are already disproportionately charged and convicted because "we gotta stop the gangstas, rap music and drivebys".

Those are mostly state things, though? We had one in California, and it had wide support from all sectors, because "tough on crime while secretly hoping to keep the minorities down" is popular on both sides of the political divide.

• Locked thread