Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

InitialDave posted:

(Before the "well why don't you just leave?". I live ridiculously close to work, like it there, and my pay plus overtime makes it borderline enough to not be worth changing.

they know this too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

go3 posted:

they know this too
Oh, I know, and I'm fine with how the game's played (have been outright told that I should get a job offer and threaten to leave to get movement), I just need to hold on while more and more people quit/retire to strengthen my position. The only person senior to me in engineering now is in his sixties.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Just discharged from the hospital. :woop: Just waiting on a ride.

With a handful of new meds for blood pressure. :saddowns: And I'm not allowed to drive for a couple of days, so my car will be staying at the hospital until Tuesday.

My A1c (which is basically a 2-3 month measure of how well your blood sugar is under control) is down to 5.8%, which is pretty awesome. Generally anything under 6 is considered very well controlled, while 5.6 is essentially non-diabetic. A year ago it was in the 8's or 9's.

Need to make an appointment with a new doctor. While I was happy with the way my old one was handling my diabetes, I couldn't get him to help any further with blood pressure meds, which is what landed my rear end here to begin with. I've already switched my insurance over to a new doctor that's walking distance from home, one who specializes in hypertension and diabetes, just doesn't take effect until the 1st.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

some texas redneck posted:

With a handful of new meds for blood pressure. :saddowns: And I'm not allowed to drive for a couple of days, so my car will be staying at the hospital until Tuesday.

My A1c (which is basically a 2-3 month measure of how well your blood sugar is under control) is down to 5.8%, which is pretty awesome. Generally anything under 6 is considered very well controlled, while 5.6 is essentially non-diabetic. A year ago it was in the 8's or 9's.

Need to make an appointment with a new doctor. While I was happy with the way my old one was handling my diabetes, I couldn't get him to help any further with blood pressure meds, which is what landed my rear end here to begin with. I've already switched my insurance over to a new doctor that's walking distance from home, one who specializes in hypertension and diabetes, just doesn't take effect until the 1st.

Glad you're out of the hospital and I hope you take care of yourself to get better, STR. Stop scaring us.

If you can continue to stop drinking, the blood pressure issue will get better. It's one of the first health effects that crops up with drinking. Your other current health problems are not helped by the alcohol, either, as I'm sure you've been told or realized by now. Your quality of life will improve so much without the booze. Sorry for the finger-wagging: I take these issues personally (and professionally, for that matter) and want to see everyone with problems caused by alcohol/drugs to stop suffering from this spiral of psychological and physical dependence.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Arriviste posted:

I'm about a third of the way through 14 INCH's epic thread (still in the Civic era) I've decided that my Goony Dream Home will need to have a three-bay garage:
  • One zone for my Nissan HB to sit broken because I tried to fix something I have no business touching. Or the frame finally does what these frames do and I can part it out to those jackasses who drop them and do other horrible poo poo to them. Once that truck's gone, do it again with a 4x4 of the same vintage.
  • Another zone for an at-least-usually reliable DD. Current car lust = 90's Accord wagon.
  • Third zone for a parts vehicle for either of the above. AKA spider nursery.

My plan is a 30x60, 3 30x13 bays and a 30x20 for the 5 ton that will be walled off from the rest as a dual purpose paint booth and big-toys workshop. Of course I've got a house to finish first... dammit.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Make the tag happen.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
gently caress Miata sway bar endlinks. Holy poo poo.

I helped a friend replace the struts in his NB yesterday and it would have taken half the time if we hadn't had to cut each and every one to get them out. I enjoyed the rest of the job, though, and I kind of want one now. :3:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Arriviste posted:

Glad you're out of the hospital and I hope you take care of yourself to get better, STR. Stop scaring us.

If you can continue to stop drinking, the blood pressure issue will get better.

That's goal #1, and I have a script for Naltrexone to help out with that.

Just need to recover a bit before I do anything but lay on the couch and zone out to the TV. It's probably going to be a week before I can safely take the Naltrexone anyway, since I was on pain killers while there.

My arms and hands look like they belong to a heroin addict, between the IVs and getting multiple blood draws per day (they were concerned about a heart attack, and did find very low level enzymes indicative of heart stress, but not high enough to show a full blown attack). The only place they can ever hit me for an IV is in my hands, and they always come out of the vein within a day. :saddowns:

And yes, they did a mild detox while I was there as well, and gave me a very short leash with Librium (the last time I was rX'd Librium, I was given 240 [!!!!] of them - the doctor who treated me gave me 10 and a suggestion I find a new primary doctor). So I'm a little shaky and I'll have trouble sleeping for a few weeks, but I have benadryl for sleep. For a switch, this hospital visit wasn't directly related to alcohol.

I'm officially prescribed 3 medications for blood pressure now. :smith:

What's funny is the last time I was in the hospital, I was given at least 1-2 units of insulin with every meal. I was given a total of 2 units for this entire stay; they said I've done a great job controlling it on my own, and my primary doctor has done a good job educating me on it... he (PCP) has just done a really lovely job at listening to my complaints about blood pressure.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 24, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

LEICA! LEICA! LEICA!

I might be forking over $750 for a Yamaha C3 on Monday!

RHYNO! RHYNO!

Good poo poo man, now you can join the twice as gay club!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

some texas redneck posted:

Good to hear they let you out. Now take care of yourself so you don't need to go back.

kastein posted:

My plan is a 30x60, 3 30x13 bays and a 30x20 for the 5 ton that will be walled off from the rest as a dual purpose paint booth and big-toys workshop. Of course I've got a house to finish first... dammit.
Go 40x60, not much more expensive and lets you park two cars nose-to-tail across the short width. That's the size I've narrowed it down to when I finally build. Make sure you get tall ceilings, 14' absolute minimum with 20' giving you a lot more options for what you can put on the lift.

S14 cooling system sucks to replace but is a loving breeze to bleed :yay: Lift the nose of the car 1-2 feet, fill and it bleeds the air on it's own. Those Germans do know how to do some things right. Debating whether I should do another flush with just water before putting in the final coolant mix. We'll see just how terrible the block drain plug is to remove.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

You jerks convinced me to go to a theater for the first time in 5 years. Clearly it's good but in 4 hours' time we'll get to see if it's good enough to be worth the crippling pain of sitting in a lovely theater seat with a bad back for 2 hours.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

RHYNO! RHYNO!

Good poo poo man, now you can join the twice as gay club!

It's SILVER and SUPER GAY.

Gotta go about an hour west for it, it's owned by a friend's dad who got clearance to drive a car again so he's parting with the scooter.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Rhyno posted:

Gotta go about an hour west for it, it's owned by a friend's dad who got clearance to drive a car again so he's parting with the scooter.

Let me guess, Indiana is one of those states that doesn't require a license for under 50cc?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

iwentdoodie posted:

Let me guess, Indiana is one of those states that doesn't require a license for under 50cc?

You guessed right!

So if you can't stop getting DUIs you can still be mobile on a scooter. But this year they now require you to hold insurance which is loving those people over in hilarious ways as if you get DUIs most insurance carriers will revoke your coverage. There's now a LOT of scooters on the market for pretty cheap.

He's got it listed on Craigslist with "no title" but his son found it in his stuff so I should be good to go. Getting a nice "friend of the family" discount.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

If it's in decent condition that's a great price, what year is it and how many miles?

If it's an '07 you need to call Yamaha to see if the fuel pump recall was done, if not they'll do it.

[e] oh yeah those stock tires suck rear end, get a set of Michelin Boppers they're awesome.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
FFS, you want to sell a car with a year's MOT, cambelt done, new clutch, you advertise it at £400... And someone still offers you £300. Piss off, chancer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

If it's in decent condition that's a great price, what year is it and how many miles?

If it's an '07 you need to call Yamaha to see if the fuel pump recall was done, if not they'll do it.

'07, mileage listed as 55XX miles as they're still riding it on occasion.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Not bad at all, it would be going for almost twice the price down here because you can ride them pretty much year round.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Rhyno posted:

You guessed right!

So if you can't stop getting DUIs you can still be mobile on a scooter. But this year they now require you to hold insurance which is loving those people over in hilarious ways as if you get DUIs most insurance carriers will revoke your coverage. There's now a LOT of scooters on the market for pretty cheap.

He's got it listed on Craigslist with "no title" but his son found it in his stuff so I should be good to go. Getting a nice "friend of the family" discount.

Yeah, that's what I figured.

Please at least get a good helmet and some basic riding gear. I bust your balls but I'd rather you not end up covered in skin grafts and/or dead. Because then it's much harder to give you poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

Not bad at all, it would be going for almost twice the price down here because you can ride them pretty much year round.

A year ago it would be a $1500 bike no question. I dunno if you recall that I'd been looking for one for a while but the prices were a bit steep for what I would use as a toy. This new insurance requirement has moped prices dropping like rocks. In August there was maybe 1 C3 for sale in the area, now there's 7 or 8 as well as 100 other scooters of various makes and models. Quite a few Vinos out there. Not a single Ruckus as those have a huge following around here and always go for a premium.

iwentdoodie posted:

Yeah, that's what I figured.

Please at least get a good helmet and some basic riding gear. I bust your balls but I'd rather you not end up covered in skin grafts and/or dead. Because then it's much harder to give you poo poo.

A helmet is a given. I'll probably jump up to CA for advice once I have it.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I can give you the advice now:

Take the MSF course.
Buy a good helmet.
Buy gear. Textile/mesh is fine. Given your usage, I wouldn't go overboard, but at least the cheap poo poo from cyclegear as it will still protect far better than jeans/shirt.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Yeah just buy gear right off and don't think about cost; factor it on the price of the scoot. I'd get boots too; any kind of cycle - oriented boot is better than nothing. I have $400 Alpinestars that sure hurt the wallet - boy howdy were they worth it when I dumped my bike right onto my foot on a broken asphalt road. Got up and rode away. Not saying you need race boots for a scooter but protect your ankles man they never heal right.

The best tip I can give for gear is buy stuff that you will wear - that means comfy, easy, etc. If you have some ill fitting cheap thing with bad zippers you bought online, it will sit unused.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I wear a motocross helmet, got a SNELL approved HJC off Amazon for 50 bucks. They protect your face and have excellent ventilation, as well as a visor which I love.

That's the only protective gear I wear though, sorry but I'm not gonna wear pants/boots/jacket/gloves for a ten minute commute in 90 degree weather.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, anyone who thinks "Eh, they'll only do about 30mph" needs to crash a bike at about 30mph. It hurts.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I once crashed a mountain bike going down a pretty steep hill and that poo poo hurt like fuckin ouch and stuff.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Great weekend so far, I spent Friday picking parts for my project and then had a fun birthday party last night.

Tommychu posted:

You jerks convinced me to go to a theater for the first time in 5 years. Clearly it's good but in 4 hours' time we'll get to see if it's good enough to be worth the crippling pain of sitting in a lovely theater seat with a bad back for 2 hours.

Try to find one of the theaters that is installing power recliners. Around here they've figured out that they're competing with your living room, so they have power recliners with big armrests and fully functional cupholders - and they have a full bar in the lobby. Oh and they are reserved seating so you actually pick your recliner off the seating chart before you buy, or go to a different showing if your favorite seats are taken.

I also never go to the theater, but the reserved recliners make it worth it when the movie is this fun. I'm going to see it a 2nd time in 90 minutes. Word must be getting around, most of the 2d showings all day today were nearly sold out around here, had to settle for a 3d showing to get a good seat.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

leica posted:

That's the only protective gear I wear though, sorry but I'm not gonna wear pants/boots/jacket/gloves for a ten minute commute in 90 degree weather.

Yah that's how I used to think too, but after being first responder to a guy who got T-boned at a stop sign I started wearing poo poo all the time. Poor bastard was just going around the block or whatever and the idiot at the other stopsign didn't see him. It was only 5-10mph and gear won't save you from a Land Rover grille, but holding the guy's hand and observing his road rash and gasps of pain while waiting for the paramedics changed the way I thought. He kept saying his foot was cramping and I didn't want to tell him his ankle was the wrong way from his bike falling on it. Went home and bought about $600 worth of gear that night :v:

Now I rock this:

Takes me about 2.5 minutes to put on/take off. I had a pair of overpants I hated and never wore, so I got the knee/shinguards. They're not as much coverage as I'd like but they're quick and easy for commuting. Saved my left knee and shin from some bad gouging when I crashed it; got away without even a bruise.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

End of the Indy 500 was epic, Juan Pablo has balls of steel.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

leica posted:

End of the Indy 500 was epic, Juan Pablo has balls of steel.

Watching it now, loving spoiler that poo poo.

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, anyone who thinks "Eh, they'll only do about 30mph" needs to crash a bike at about 30mph. It hurts.

I was riding a friends scooter in high school... topped out at 25mph and I was swinging it back and forth, properly bored with the lack of speed. Thought it would be fun to see what happened if you yanked the front brake at that speed. I guess denim is good enough gear for that speed because I walked without a scratch, but it taught me some valuable lessons.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Fuuuuck why did I buy a Steel Battalion controller? I'm on deployment and can't even use it for months. Really want to set it up for KSP.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Geirskogul posted:

Fuuuuck why did I buy a Steel Battalion controller? I'm on deployment and can't even use it for months. Really want to set it up for KSP.

I need to build a controller setup for KSP

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I helped move somewhere in the range of 200-250 individual brake rotors today. I think I need to go take a nap now.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I know STR will understand, but gently caress being stone cold sober at 5PM is boring as poo poo. I set a goal to not leave the house today and intentionally didn't have any booze in here and now I'm going stir crazy. It's so easy to relax and do nothing and giggle at poo poo when I've had a couple of pops. Please tell me it gets easier, because this feels pretty :mediocre:

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Elmnt80 posted:

I helped move somewhere in the range of 200-250 individual brake rotors today. I think I need to go take a nap now.

This is what a lot of my deliveries look like:

104 (usually 112) packs, 28lb/pack. They go in by hand, they come out by hand.

Taco Box posted:

I know STR will understand, but gently caress being stone cold sober at 5PM is boring as poo poo. I set a goal to not leave the house today and intentionally didn't have any booze in here and now I'm going stir crazy. It's so easy to relax and do nothing and giggle at poo poo when I've had a couple of pops. Please tell me it gets easier, because this feels pretty :mediocre:

About 10 years since i last drank.

Nope, it's pretty boring. Smoking weed helps but i haven't done that in a long time either.

Mooseykins fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 24, 2015

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Living in a condo complex sucks sometimes. Sure, the guy who has a 300 kitted out that looks like a shopping cart with gold wheels? No problem.
Wanna park your company work van here? Get lost.

loving HOAs.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Taco Box posted:

this feels pretty :mediocre:

I am absolutely loving the new crop of Fury Road smilies.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Saw Mad Max yesterday, so I can finally start reading this thread again.

Don't know why people thought it was spectacular, it's just normal peak hour traffic in Australia :v:

Just missed a War Boy getting into work today. Hoping to get more spikes on the car this week.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

CommieGIR posted:

I need to build a controller setup for KSP

I need to build a desktop so I can get back into KSP.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Puerto Rico is dope but remember to take your phone out of your pocket before swimming in the ocean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Side shows are the dumbest loving trend imaginable.
gently caress them all.

• Locked thread