Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

JerryLee posted:

I don't know, but since you bring that model up, I just wanted to say that I was tempted to get it but in retrospect am glad I didn't. It's got a pretty severe case of tiny head syndrome that either wasn't on the preliminary picture or that I didn't realize at the time. I guess some people prefer that look (most obviously, the sculptor) but it's a big turnoff for me.

Maybe I can find something that'd make an appropriate headswap, if I ever find the time for such a project.

I've seen it in person briefly and the head really isn't all that tiny, though I can see why that'd be a problem for you. Maybe get one of the Beastmen minotaur heads or something? Bulk up the back with more hair with greenstuff? I dunno.

The halberd is pretty noodly though and really needs a hot water bath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Slimnoid posted:

How tall is the Minotaur Lord, by the way? From the highest shoulder to foot, preferably, but how high the halberd would also be nice.

Wasn't the easiest thing to measure, but I make it 95mm from foot to the flat part on top of his shoulder (not the spikes or ring), and when held straight the halberd is 130mm

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

krushgroove posted:

That's awesome! Here's a crosspost of the same model I'm doing for iamthespaceinvader (very glossy because of the gloss varnish I'd just put on it):

And the kraken, which refuses to stand up properly no matter how I pose it

The kraken will have a starfield on its back, plus the teeth, eyes and a few other bits on both to do
Krush has been great about this commission, btw. I shared postage with him on Bones 2, and the minis arrived with him 10 days ago, and should, hopefully, be with me, painted, varnished and ready for the table, by Monday. And they're looking rad, especially the SPAAACE KRAAAKEN. Very reasonable rates as well.

Krush goon good goon.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Wasn't the easiest thing to measure, but I make it 95mm from foot to the flat part on top of his shoulder (not the spikes or ring), and when held straight the halberd is 130mm

Not as tall as I thought, but it'll do. Thanks!

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

krushgroove posted:

And the kraken, which refuses to stand up properly no matter how I pose it

The kraken will have a starfield on its back, plus the teeth, eyes and a few other bits on both to do

SQUIDS! IN! SPAAAAAAAACE!

That's awesome, both conceptually and what you've got done so far.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

thespaceinvader posted:

Krush has been great about this commission, btw. I shared postage with him on Bones 2, and the minis arrived with him 10 days ago, and should, hopefully, be with me, painted, varnished and ready for the table, by Monday. And they're looking rad, especially the SPAAACE KRAAAKEN. Very reasonable rates as well.

Krush goon good goon.

JackMann posted:

SQUIDS! IN! SPAAAAAAAACE!

That's awesome, both conceptually and what you've got done so far.

Thanks very much! This was a really fun and interesting project, I just wish I had more time to get the paint on these suckers but let's blame the west coast shipping slowdown for the time it took to get these all the way to the UK.

I managed to rush some pictures before I boxed them up:

I never - EVER - want to paint an anus ever again.

More pictures: https://plus.google.com/photos/101792256154658567736/albums/6128309521959404769?authkey=COrR-s3d8teVdQ

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Mar 21, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'll take my squid with sprinkles on top, thank you

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

It seems like March is the month of Mashaaf. I'm almost done with mine as well:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Bones? Bones. Crossposting my oath as well:

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

JerryLee posted:

Bones? Bones. Crossposting my oath as well:

Righteous! I love how the dragon's scales and the guy's armor turned out in particular, but rock solid all around. Very cool!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

The armor couldn't be simpler, it's just VMA Steel with Army Painter Strong Tone (=Devlan Mud/Aggrax Earthshade) over it. VMA silver metallics are absolute hax, it's like they come out of a wash looking pre-highlighted.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

My Mashaaf is ready for the table! Full post in minis thread.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I now have my Bones! Thanks Krushgroove, you've been pretty great about the postage and the painting commission.

Holy balls, Nathavarr and Dragons Don't Share is a beast of a set. And Beast Mode has some lovely minotaurs, which are surprisingly hard to get as 1-inch-base heroes (and even there are pushing it on the 1-inch base thing). I got a modest haul from this set - Dragons Don't Share, Beast Mode, Greater Demons, Mashaaf and the Kraken - and I'm looking forward to painting all of them. But I might need a hairdryer or a heat gun when it comes to assembling the terrain parts for DDS, some of it is hella warped.

On to the real meat of the post - I owe Krush a proper testimonial.

I will preface this by saying: I demanded a lot. We shared postage, so the minis were initially delivered to him, and they arrived with him on 10 March, i.e. less than 2 weeks ago. I had the minis I commissioned, painted and ready for the table, by yesterday. That alone is deserving of high praise, but aside from that, the paint jobs are imaginative, well executed, and coped well with a slightly odd brief. If there's anything negative to be said, they're perhaps a little sparsely detailed, but given the time available, as well as the extremely reasonable price, I'm very happy with the work. It's a lot better than I could have done in the time, and that's what counts with a service like this. The service was quick, professional and responsive, and very good value. I couldn't ask for much more, really.

http://www.tinyplasticspacemen.com/ for your UK commission painting needs.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
Not all of these are Bones (heck, not all of them are Reaper), but I've been making progress on the painting.

I love all the weird critters they included this time around.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

thespaceinvader posted:

On to the real meat of the post - I owe Krush a proper testimonial.

I will preface this by saying: I demanded a lot. We shared postage, so the minis were initially delivered to him, and they arrived with him on 10 March, i.e. less than 2 weeks ago. I had the minis I commissioned, painted and ready for the table, by yesterday. That alone is deserving of high praise, but aside from that, the paint jobs are imaginative, well executed, and coped well with a slightly odd brief. If there's anything negative to be said, they're perhaps a little sparsely detailed, but given the time available, as well as the extremely reasonable price, I'm very happy with the work. It's a lot better than I could have done in the time, and that's what counts with a service like this. The service was quick, professional and responsive, and very good value. I couldn't ask for much more, really.

http://www.tinyplasticspacemen.com/ for your UK commission painting needs.

Thanks very much! :) I readily admit they could have had more to them, doing proper detail like freehand, spots, stripes or whatever isn't something I've played with very much but I definitely will in the future. I surprise myself when I'm so amazed at models that have animal spots and things on them, I'm just so used to tanks and space marines I guess that those sorts of things just don't occur to me. But I will be expanding my scope on future things - Kanjira is my next big painting project! Woohoo!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Paolomania posted:

My Mashaaf is ready for the table! Full post in minis thread.

I don't know if I commented on this elsewhere but drat, this owns. I need to get on this level when it comes to blending.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Does anyone have figure suggestions for a good vampire to mount on Nethermaul, or how I'd even go about doing that?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

moths posted:

Does anyone have figure suggestions for a good vampire to mount on Nethermaul, or how I'd even go about doing that?

Probably the one that comes on the VC zombie dragon. As to where to mount him: probably between the wings. There's a spot right there that ought to be good, though you might have to built a saddle or something to make him fit properly.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Oh, yeah that didn't even occur to me - he looks awesome thanks.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

First Bones 3 rumours have started.

That is a big loving dragon.

http://imgur.com/a/vofW6

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

First Bones 3 rumours have started.

That is a big loving dragon.

http://imgur.com/a/vofW6

Some really cool stuff there. Geisha mousling, stone wall golem with metal gates as wings, aforementioned giant many headed dragon, mad scientist lab gear, Stonehenge.

And yet again the female giant is passively standing there while the male Giants swing their axes and actually do stuff :(

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Holy poo poo, that's not just any multi-headed dragon, that's freakin' Tiamat, at an appropriate scale. Jesus christ.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Goddamit they've got me again.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

There's a really nice-looking croco-man in there as well. Very Warmahordes.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I like the big eldritch betentacled thing pretty well. I also like the halfling farmers, and I hope they have some more non-humanoid townsfolk minis.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Really looking the lunging yuan ti and the weird tentacle dog creature from The Thing.

Edit: also digging the Guild Wars 2 style wurm.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 2, 2015

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

JackMann posted:

I like the big eldritch betentacled thing pretty well.

Looks like a Dark Young from Lovecraft. Probably for the Pathfinder RPG.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

JackMann posted:

I like the big eldritch betentacled thing pretty well. I also like the halfling farmers, and I hope they have some more non-humanoid townsfolk minis.

There are halfling farmers!? Goddamnit.

I suppose that explains the pumpkin cart miniature. :3:

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Some of those look really good, I like the pink and green bear-man guy, and those giants look awesome.

I'd like a bones set that's focused more on the big monsters and stuff, at this point I've got more than enough adventurers and regular sized minis.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I just hope their expansions this time around are themed. Them being all over the place really kept me from buying any beyond one, and I almost didn't get that one.

Something like a Town theme, with guards, militia, more townsfolk, witch, apothecary, and other things like that. Just group up the minis in some way, instead of the seemingly random fashion they were before.

Also, less terrain. I use Hirst Arts molds for dungeons, and can slap together foamcore and balsa well enough for the rest. I don't need some oddly specific pieces that might only see use on a Warhammer board that I haven't played in over a decade.

More demihumans, either adventurers or regular folk, with many more female than the usual 10:1 male:female demihuman ratio we normally get it seems. I have a dozen dwarf warriors, 0 of them are women. I have a handful of halflings, I'm pretty sure none are women. The only female gnome I have is the terribly weird Pathfinder iconic, which doesn't jive with the AD&D aesthetic really. The only race that gets many female figures are elves, and that's because they are easily made sexy, which sells to nerds.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

So I didn't add it to my pledge because I really only wanted the one bit-- anyone know if the menhir (little standing stone) from the "thank you" set is available separately or at all retail yet? Or anyone got one they'd part out and take paypal for?

It would make a great Hordes Circle Orboros objective marker.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
It's still in the Reaper preview gallery. I'd expect it to hit retail in the next two months or so.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
So I painted a Great Old One.

Sadly I possess only potato cam skills.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bones III announced for July 7!

http://www.reapermini.com/bones3

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
as someone who bought bones 1 and 2 but hasnt painted any of them, im ready for bones 3

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I've painted 2 Bones from Bones 2, and I'm ready. Kinda. I hope it takes them a while do do the PM :ohdear:

Oh hey, I should cross post my oathed Hill Giants, painted and based for use in Kings of War

I'm pleased with how they turned out

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

This is what I get for starting Cthulhu tonight. Do not taunt the old ones.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I'm on track to have DDS2 completely painted, but who knows when I'll even be able to start on Khanjira. :shepface:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I spent about an hour and a half painting this lady last week!

I think my second or third Bones model. I'd forgotten how nice it is to just paint a simple little individual figure with very basic color schemes, spend a little time on the face so it's not too horrible, and be done. OK, I should definitely give her a coat of matte, and OK the zoomed-in photos do make her look a bit more muddy and unrefined than I'd like, but this really is a very small figure and it's Bonesium, so, so what? Less than two hours on a fifty cent mini is perfectly reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I'm in the middle of the Chronoscope cyber-gorilla and just finished the owlbear.

• Locked thread