Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

It doesn't help that up until the New Mexico your guns are basically just a shotgun too. Nothing like getting the range and lead perfectly, just to watch your shells splash everywhere around the other boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
I'd like to get near enough to an engagement to make that observation.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

I wonder if the people who decided battleships don't need to be fast, they need to fight and survive better than the enemy because they'll always come to you when you seize their ports, are the same people who decided everything that wasn't a nucear bomber was obsolete, and therefore the Navy should be scrapped and the Army reduced to airfield guard detachments.

No, those people had died by then. Also, none of that happened.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Dammit. Should have rammed the last guy on the enemy team while my guns were cycling, didn't, and he killed me first. Happily we won anyway.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

I can see myself playing this game an unhealthy amount. Between mauling battleships in the cleveland and surviving everything in the Battleships.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
Been playing for 3 days now, ready to give some initial impressions... it seems like 2 days was enough to start really getting the hang of aiming. Seems like a pretty simple game, yet still fun.

In terms of the "grind" I would assume they are going to drastically reduce exp outside of closed beta? I guess I was lucky to start on a 5x promo weekend, but literally, I'm playing 1-2 games tops.

The South Carolina is basically the worst ship I've played.
Biggest surprise for me has been the Omaha, because it sucked so hard in Navyfield. I've only played like 3 games in it, but each of them netted me 15k exp.

Carrier game play seems somewhat disappointing right now, was looking forward to that. I'm still not clear when AP works and when it doesn't. When it does it does more damage, but it seems like HE is more reliable to do consistent damage.

I'm glad that I found out I can't control secondaries, because darned if I wasn't trying. Teamwork in this game seems like it'd be completely overpowered. I haven't played with anyone yet, but I can only imagine.

Couple of questions I still have, mostly around training:

1.) The multiple captains, and the ponzi scheme of retraining them.... does it really pay to more than 4 captains? Just keep carrying one specialized for your line forward when you sell ships right?
2.) What's the point in a premium ship if I have to pay tokens to convert the experience I gain on it? Free exp doesn't seem like enough of an incentive to buy some 50 dollar boat. I mean I love the Atlanta, but really?
3.) Since I've got a bunch of leftover exp due to the 5x, and tokens are in fact being reset, I might as well just use them when I run into a ship I particularly hate? Barely tier 5 and I've got about 50k to throw at a bad grind.
4.) Are there any early decisions in crew training that will screw me over later? Navyfield used to make specific skills on each sailor, and like a year later you could potentially have a super sailor based on how long you rolled for a crew with optimal skills. Just looking for red flags. Oh I wish I would have done that? I know I get a do over, so not super concerned about it now.

Other than that the game seems pretty basic, I imagine once you got your favorite ship, there isn't much variety or incentive to continue? I feel like a month of premium would be more than enough to accomplish end game goals at this point. I played like 3 games of World of Tanks, so I don't have much experience with them... pay to win, premium shells, consumables?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

NTRabbit posted:

USN carriers are useless halfway through a battle because fighters can't attack ships and dive bombers are terrible, while IJN carriers are useless halfway through a battle because USN carriers shoot down all the planes, and AA is pretty good at shooting down the small IJN squadrons.

Any word from wargaming regarding this? I completely stopped playing carrier since the patch because its just not worth it now, so I'm hoping they will realize the way they have carrier atm is just awful.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
What the heck just happened. I fired up the Farragut which so far has been an awful experience and I get 40 hits, cap once, and get the last shot on a New Orleans for the kill and I got 14,000xp. Is there some sort of first match super xp buff thing?

P.S. gently caress the Farragut :<

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Dalael posted:

Any word from wargaming regarding this? I completely stopped playing carrier since the patch because its just not worth it now, so I'm hoping they will realize the way they have carrier atm is just awful.

Based on arty in WoT, playing a carrier can only continue to go downhill.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

No, those people had died by then. Also, none of that happened.

Which part? The Nuclear bomber thing was part of the post-war military funding fights and the creation of the Department of Defense. The USN and Army weren't scrapped, but there were Air Force types lobbying for it. There were quite a few people in the late 40s who decided that all future wars would be both deterred and settled entirely by long range nuclear bombing, with armies and navies now obsolete.

Dalael posted:

None that I've seen

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

NTRabbit posted:

Which part? The Nuclear bomber thing was part of the post-war military funding fights and the creation of the Department of Defense. There were quite a few people in the late 40s who decided that all future wars would be both deterred and settled entirely by long range nuclear bombing, with armies and navies now obsolete.

Wasn't that a continuation of the interwar "the bomber will always get through" philosophy, only with "nuclear" added?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

wdarkk posted:

Wasn't that a continuation of the interwar "the bomber will always get through" philosophy, only with "nuclear" added?

Pretty much yes! Also with the war over the US government had to massively slash military spending, and all the services were fighting to prove they were the most relevant and deserving of the most remaining money.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 24, 2015

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
So I've always wondered, were IJN DD turrets actually this slow or is this just a "balance" thing. IJN get great torps and concealment and USN DD's get guns guns guns?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

NuckmasterJ posted:

So I've always wondered, were IJN DD turrets actually this slow or is this just a "balance" thing. IJN get great torps and concealment and USN DD's get guns guns guns?

Pretty sure it's not historical, but I don't have any documents to quote

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

NuckmasterJ posted:

Apparently, they were slower.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12.7_cm/50_Type_3_naval_gun#Mountings

6 degrees per second would be a 30s 180* turn time.

The wiki article has a book source, at least. Of American destroyers, I found random web stuff that says 25 degrees per second. Which is about the same as what's in the game, golly gee.

The game has both time acceleration and distance shortening, but the turrets seem to traverse at the same rate relative to real time. In real life, the Japanese turrets were fine, except for AA.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Apparently, they were slower.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12.7_cm/50_Type_3_naval_gun#Mountings

6 degrees per second would be a 30s 180* turn time.

The wiki article has a book source, at least. Of American destroyers, I found random web stuff that says 25 degrees per second. Which is about the same as what's in the game, golly gee.

The game has both time acceleration and distance shortening, but the turrets seem to traverse at the same rate relative to real time. In real life, the Japanese turrets were fine, except for AA.

Ah ok. As I was looking down the DD tree's IJN turrets seem to speed up significantly around the same time USN DD's get 10km Torpedo's.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

12cm guns on IJN destryers were manually turned and had a turnrrate of 4 degree per second.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

jownzy posted:

I'm still not clear when AP works and when it doesn't. When it does it does more damage, but it seems like HE is more reliable to do consistent damage.

You have it pretty much figured out, but HE will never be able to do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ERCG-aAGWU

:toot: :dance:

Sorry about the stuttering, Fraps and WoWs replay's don't seem to get along well on my machine.

E: Youtube is still processing it, should be available in 1080p at some point.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 24, 2015

Crash74
May 11, 2009
x5 plats anyones?

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

I think I like this game simply because solo, you really can't carry that well. Yes, yes, I know we all have those amazing games with 6 kills now and then but for the vast amount of the time you are utterly dependent on your pubbies not being retards and we know how that works.

As soon as I accepted this I got a zen like calm and I just happily play away and I'm normally in the top third of exp at the very least and it's like "this is what a game should be, fun, enjoyable and relaxing".

I really have no idea what I'm trying to get across here except it ain't WoT and we will never see the levels of unicum that exists there.

Forget all this if playing in divisions.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Solo games are not bad so long as you are playing for yourself and don't care about losing. A 2 or 3 man on voice comms that actually sticks together and plays like a team can absolutely wreck poo poo.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Michaellaneous posted:

12cm guns on IJN destryers were manually turned and had a turnrrate of 4 degree per second.

The Akizuki had powered turrets that would make it genuinely interesting in the tree. I'm guessing they've deliberately picked the torpedo focused options first and they'll branch the Akizuki off later.

jownzy posted:

The South Carolina is basically the worst ship I've played.
Biggest surprise for me has been the Omaha, because it sucked so hard in Navyfield. I've only played like 3 games in it, but each of them netted me 15k exp.

Carrier game play seems somewhat disappointing right now, was looking forward to that. I'm still not clear when AP works and when it doesn't. When it does it does more damage, but it seems like HE is more reliable to do consistent damage.

The Kawachi has the same trouble as the SoCar, and it's basically the same problem that WoT ran into. They are fine when you're fighting against T3 only, but there's a big power gap between them and the next tier up.

Navyfield might spoil you a bit because of the way it ran the tech trees and all of the weird experimental stuff all over the place. The NF starting DDs are T9 in this which says a lot.

AP is a mixed bag but I still prefer to stick with it as standard. It mostly makes sense - you have to hit armour to do any damage at all and you have to penetrate to do more than HE. The requirement of hitting armour to avoid overpenetrating means you want your shots dropping onto the deck or hitting the sides from as best an angle as you can get. If you aim above the deck at closer ranges all you can do is blow up turrets. HE is the opposite, plunging fire works too but at closer ranges if you hit the sides of the ship you won't do anything, you have to aim for unarmoured parts of the superstructure instead. The really annoying one is crossing the T - I don't think I've ever had a shot penetrate from dead ahead even though most ships had a weaker transverse bulkhead compared to their belt armour. I haven't seen an Izumo yet but I imagine the Nelson tactics from NF would actually work quite well there.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Does anyone else think it's strange that the Aoba has the best 8" guns (stat-wise) in the IJN cruiser line until Tier 10, even though they're all the "same" guns (203mm/50 type3)? The Aoba guns are an improvement over the Furutaka, but then they get a progressively worse rate of fire until the Zao (5.5 rpm on the Aoba, then 5.0 on the Myoko and 4.0 on the Mogami and Ibuki). I would have expected the stats on the same gun to improve steadily through the tiers.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

El Disco posted:

Does anyone else think it's strange that the Aoba has the best 8" guns (stat-wise) in the IJN cruiser line until Tier 10, even though they're all the "same" guns (203mm/50 type3)? The Aoba guns are an improvement over the Furutaka, but then they get a progressively worse rate of fire until the Zao (5.5 rpm on the Aoba, then 5.0 on the Myoko and 4.0 on the Mogami and Ibuki). I would have expected the stats on the same gun to improve steadily through the tiers.

The Aoba only has 6 guns, as compared to 10 on all the others. The Myoko has pretty bad gun arcs and traverse, and bad armor to compensate for the rof.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

El Disco posted:

It's not that weird for Aoba to fire them so fast, it only has six and it's the same tier as the Cleveland. Myoko is 5.0 rounds per minute because it used to be tier 8 and wargaming only changed the torpedoes when moving it down (as if cruiser torpedoes matter). Myoko wasn't very good at tier 8 though.
I don't know why Mogami and Ibuki are slower.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

El Disco posted:

Somewhat tangentially related, but now that I look at the Furutaka's tech tree entry, her guns should probably be labeled Type1 for stock and Type2 for upgraded.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
I've oneshot an Amagi from the front. You have to be at extremely close range, the shells need to be flying almost flat. The chances of doing it are quite low however, so turning your front to the enemy fire is generally your safest option.

Izumo won't be able to weave while engaging to its front - the third turret is oriented aft, more like Myoko or Tone than Nelson. If you're engaging targets off both sides of your bow, it has to traverse a full 270 degrees. It is also very vulnerable to barbette hits up close - I've lost all three turrets to a single salvo before. It's an odd ship to play.

Speaking of Tone, I hope it gets added. I'm sure it will eventually, just not sure where.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Tone is so funky looking, and honestly one of the few IJN ships I care about getting.

Just got the North Carolina. Here's my trip report:

:getin:

Also I think all those shots I took blew up every single AA gun because I got attacked by planes a bunch they were greeted by like 4 Oerlikons and a Bofors lol

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So, umm... yea.

:staredog:

Actually, it was a solid game, but not nearly as good as that screen makes it look:

Premium, 5x, and a +50% xp flag flying for the battle.

Sunk a Mahan with guns, a point blank unload on the Pensacola for a dev strike, then fired two salvo's just as I died, killed the Grem (Dev strike and Just a Scratch), and put two torpedoes into the Wyoming, who sunk about 15 seconds after the hits for a second Just a Scratch. I didn't even know the Grem was there when I fired, they were aimed at the Wyoming.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Another twitch stream to follow for keys for those that don't want to pay in for beta has appeared:

https://www.themittani.com/features/world-warships-week-global-beta-key-giveaway

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

I'm not sure what it is, but the New Orleans feels so much better than the Pensacola. I got my first hackusation in it too.

First game out with it.

E: Is there a cap on the number of skill points your captain can get?

Artless Meat fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 26, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Today I learned in a match where I had six citadel hits in my colorado that intercepting bombers is apparently not a thing US carriers are capable of. Also 5x pubs in ships already suck.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Artless Meat posted:

One of the recent patch notes said captains have a max of 19 points spent. So four points leftover after taking one skill at each tier 1-5, or five points leftover if you take both Pyromania and Advanced Firing Training at tier 4.

Dawning Horror
Jun 18, 2009

grrarg posted:

One of the recent patch notes said captains have a max of 19 points spent. So four points leftover after taking one skill at each tier 1-5, or five points leftover if you take both Pyromania and Advanced Firing Training at tier 4.

My Gearing captain topped out at 18. Which means one at each skill level, and another level 3 skill.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Artless Meat posted:

I'm not sure what it is, but the New Orleans feels so much better than the Pensacola. I got my first hackusation in it too.

First game out with it.

Well it has more armor than the Pepsi, and with all your guns on 3 turrets that means 2/3 of your firepower is facing forward. It's just nicer all around.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Burt posted:

I think I like this game simply because solo, you really can't carry that well. Yes, yes, I know we all have those amazing games with 6 kills now and then but for the vast amount of the time you are utterly dependent on your pubbies not being retards and we know how that works.

As soon as I accepted this I got a zen like calm and I just happily play away and I'm normally in the top third of exp at the very least and it's like "this is what a game should be, fun, enjoyable and relaxing".

I really have no idea what I'm trying to get across here except it ain't WoT and we will never see the levels of unicum that exists there.

Forget all this if playing in divisions.

This.

I had 3 perfect games in my Independence, 3 Clear skies asserted total air superiority over the map 2 carriers just gave up and drove into islands and stopped, did some dive bombing in my spare time. 3 Losses. But I did my thing, did it well and that's all you can really do. I love playing anti-sky cancer sky cancer, if I could get one more wing of bombers id be happy with that. Though there is a slight balance issue, I was in a game with another Independence on my team against 1 Ranger on the other team, it killed all our planes for almost no losses. That's with us grouping our fighters.

I've got to 90/90/10 in W/L/D not sure if I should play any more and ruin the symmetry.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Man the middle turrets are dead weight in Wyoming and New York. I agree with the following quote from Wikipedia from Nevada class:

quote:

The Nevadas were equipped with ten 14 in (356 mm)/45 caliber guns.[18] While these guns were carried over from the New Yorks, triple turrets were introduced for the lower fore and aft pair positions. This was due in part to the General Board's "disgust with the awkward five- and six-turret arrangements of the previous classes," with the corresponding confusion of fitting magazines between power plant compartments, reduction of the middle turrets' effective arcs of fire and the potential for weakening the ship's structure by the large number of deck openings required.

The middle turrets don't have enough turn radius to be useable. You need to basically display whole broadside to the enemy, giving an easier target to shoot. Normally I just point my ship towards enemy, and turn enough to give clear range for back turrets only when I'm going to fire.

With my luck the game models the overheating powder storage rooms which are located next to boilers... luckily it only caused different projectile dispersion compared to the fore and aft turrets.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

http://wowsdb.info/ship/bismark

Datamined stats for the Bismark. Subject to change, obviously.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Vorkosigan posted:

http://wowsdb.info/ship/bismark

Datamined stats for the Bismark. Subject to change, obviously.

If Bismark is tier 8, then I guess we're getting two H ships for 9 and 10. I wonder what they're going to do for the tier 10 gun system, the 18 inch variant? Or the comedy 20"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

So the IJN Furutaka is kind of an ungainly ship, but it's hard not to love it when you torpedo an onrushing Aoba-class cruiser, disable his engines with a citadel hit and sink him with a magazine explosion 30 seconds later. :black101:

Dude was not happy about that.

Arishtat fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 26, 2015