Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm not sure how you could even do Jenny o' the Woods without Yrden, unless you just waited until you were super overleveled.

Hell, even then I'm not sure you can deal damage to her unless she's in the trap.

This but Wraiths in General (moondust is also worth its wait in gold)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007

Schlesische posted:

This but Wraiths in General (moondust is also worth its wait in gold)

Moondust is fabulous. Used it for Jenny o' the Woods and killed her in under a minute, clones included.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Megasabin posted:

Can someone explain a few things about the loot system to me please:

1. Is loot from quests tailored to your level, and can you gimp a potentially good item by finding it early? I was exploring to the west of Hangman's Alley, found a shipwreck and chest inside that came up red on witcher's sense. I looted it and I got a sword called Maugrium, which was a 3 slotted silver sword. I then later found a ? area that contained a letter about said shipwreck, and the quest auto-completed because I had found the chest already. I then noticed under my completed quest tab that the quest was a Level 18 quest. I did this all at level 5, and Maugrim ended up having a level requirement of 2, and it's states were not even as good the the Viper Serpentine Sword you get a White Orchard. If I had waited till level 18 would it have had better stats?

2. I then googled Maugrim Witcher III to see if I could see it's stats. I found a bunch of youtube videos talking about how to get it, but they showed a completely different location. They also mentioned it was a sword with a level requirement of 5, which is different than mine. Not a single one mentioned how I got it. So was mine just random loot and thus had randomly generated stats?

Everything in the game except for crafted diagrams is leveled. Quest rewards, Vendor inventories, random loot etc... I tested this by using cheat engine to level myself to 70. Suddenly instead of getting a level 7 sword as reward from a quest I got a level 68 sword that had insanely better stats than the best crafted witcher gear. Vendors would sell 700 damage relic steel swords with 3 upgrade slots. Also certain potion recipes won't appear on vendors until you get higher level. So there is a vendor inside southern novigrad once you first get inside and he sells a ton of potion recipes. If you go there at the mid teens he has a bunch more recipes than if you go at level 4 like I did on my second playthrough when I was looking for specific recipes I knew he sold. Turns out he didn't have them yet because I was too low level.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

cheesetriangles posted:

Everything in the game except for crafted diagrams is leveled. Quest rewards, Vendor inventories, random loot etc... I tested this by using cheat engine to level myself to 70. Suddenly instead of getting a level 7 sword as reward from a quest I got a level 68 sword that had insanely better stats than the best crafted witcher gear. Vendors would sell 700 damage relic steel swords with 3 upgrade slots. Also certain potion recipes won't appear on vendors until you get higher level. So there is a vendor inside southern novigrad once you first get inside and he sells a ton of potion recipes. If you go there at the mid teens he has a bunch more recipes than if you go at level 4 like I did on my second playthrough when I was looking for specific recipes I knew he sold. Turns out he didn't have them yet because I was too low level.

Ah. That's a bit lame. So the game sort of punishes you in a sense for exploring too much too early? As in you could theoretically could find gear at an early level that would be amazing if you had found it later in the game. Makes me wish I hadn't found that sword.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Megasabin posted:

Ah. That's a bit lame. So the game sort of punishes you in a sense for exploring too much too early? As in you could theoretically could find gear at an early level that would be amazing if you had found it later in the game. Makes me wish I hadn't found that sword.

I don't think those swords you find are unique in any way. I have two Addan Deiths right now.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Andrast posted:

I don't think those swords you find are unique in any way. I have two Addan Deiths right now.

They aren't. I've had three Maugrims with different stats.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
There's a couple of unique swords in the game, mostly from quests. I think they're levelled as well though.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Megasabin posted:

By the same token, you can just do whatever the hell you want and come back and do your exploration and questing when you feel like it. The loot will be level-appropriate.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Quest rewards are leveled as well yes.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've been running a strange hybrid Geralt so far (level 11, only now managed to finish Velen main quest and still a shitload to explore!) but all this talk about signs made me want to try a more sign-oriented build since I use the griffon armor set too. Sign intensity around 100% and lower tier skills maxed it definitely feels a lot of fun, although more challenging to use different signs in a hurry. Only thing I picked from offense tree was the very first fast attack trait so far.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

All the loot in the game pales in comparison to upgraded witcher gear anyways so it barely matters

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

You know, I kinda miss the Gold/Silver/Bronze talent thing from 1. Just because it let you grab a bunch of poo poo from the other trees but still let you specialize in one if you wished

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
So I finally got back to the Wild at Hunt quest and gave it a piece of my mind with my NEW sword and NEW abilities :argh: And then my sword broke and everything went to poo poo but yea! I did it! Helped that it did not regen from the start this time, I guess that was a bug. Not the greatest run but I can only see good things going forward with machine gun signs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbNnb5yb9H0

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
Eugh I'm going to spend 200 hours playing this game aren't I and then there's the DLC and whatever expansion packs get released. I spent 4 hours today clearing the question marks in Velen, usually hate that stuff but this game makes it compulsive especially getting extra snippets of story.

This is the next progression for open world games with its intertwining plot, MGSV has a hard act to follow!!

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
the stinky cheese dungeon was loving amazing

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

turtlecrunch posted:

So I finally got back to the Wild at Hunt quest and gave it a piece of my mind with my NEW sword and NEW abilities :argh: And then my sword broke and everything went to poo poo but yea! I did it! Helped that it did not regen from the start this time, I guess that was a bug. Not the greatest run but I can only see good things going forward with machine gun signs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbNnb5yb9H0

Mob regen can be interrupted with fire, ghouls do it too.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Just wanted to report that I am playing this game at below minimum requirements (the geforce experience thing says so) and have never crashed.

Geforce GTX650, 8gb RAM, installed on my SSD.

The game actually runs rather smoothly in sunny weather but when a storm hits my framerate clunks up a bit. Witcher vision can slow things down a bit too, otherwise the game is totally playable and totally owns bones

Anyone with super high graphics mind taking a screenshot of the huge rotting whale on the west coast of Velen, just north of all the shipwrecks? I would love to see what it looks like with all the fancy poo poo turned on

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Demiurge4 posted:

Mob regen can be interrupted with fire, ghouls do it too.

I used igni on it last time and it never stopped. The one I fought before this @ Whispering Hillock only started to regen at half health, when it stands up and glows red. Still good to know though.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Lord Lambeth posted:

I also found this, which I assume is for dying fabric for all the fabulous outfits in the game. Neat little bit of worldbuilding :allears:

Yup. I went and looked up the wikipedia page for dyeing and what do you know:

mcbexx posted:

White Raffard's Decoction.
For some reason it requires 4 Nekker hearts, which I assume can only be found in blown up monster nests, since I have killed probably close to a hundred Nekkers and still only have 3 hearts.
I never sell alchemy ingredients because of this.

Only Warrior Nekkers drop hearts, for some reason.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34ub2n6F0yo

I can't tell if this is parody. "Looks like it was drawn by a child."

Don't most games get downgraded somewhat as the realities of budget and resources creep in over development?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

cheesetriangles posted:

Is aard a terrible sign? It seems totally terrible to me. It's useful effect - knockdown seems super random if it happens and it doesn't help that the game doesn't list at all what your knockdown chance is. The level 2 aard spell / skill say's the alternative version of aard has a lower knockdown chance than the normal version but doesn't say what that chance is. The character sheet just list stagger% which seems useless because it only lasts like half a second and is not help at all. Witcher 2 that poo poo would hard stun people all the time but in 3 it seems awful. Yrden also seems useless because poo poo can just walk out and then you wasted that stamina. It should force stuff to stay inside the cage.

I'm wearing a full suit of Griffin gear (+78% sign intensity) and I knock someone down almost every single time I use it, usually more than one. And for long enough to coup de gras three dudes a time, if I'm quick about it.

What I have noticed is that you're more likely to knock someone down the closer they are to you. If you're right up in someone's face they'll go down 100% of the time, unless they've got a big weapon (hammer/pike) or a shield. People right at the fringe are almost never knocked over.

You can also use it to knock fliers out of the air, though there's not much call for that when you've got the crossbow.

Gunthen
Apr 10, 2011
Finished the Baron quest line.

I hope the writing for the remainder of the game stays that great, So far the Barons quest is the best I have ever done in an RPG.

Near the end of the quest line, were the Baron felt he needed to justify himself, and explain the whole story about the abuse in his family. I grew up in a house with two parents who abused each other, its easy to point a finger at just one person. But it surprised the hell out of me when it became more apparent that both parties were at fault for what happened. And the situation showed how much damage abusive relationships cause. The Baron was a shithead, but the level of depth CDproject wrote into that quest line about the emotional abuse on both sides of the relationship makes for an amazing story. Its good to see games are no longer always toys for children, but meaningful stories for adults.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

I'm wearing a full suit of Griffin gear (+78% sign intensity) and I knock someone down almost every single time I use it, usually more than one. And for long enough to coup de gras three dudes a time, if I'm quick about it.

What I have noticed is that you're more likely to knock someone down the closer they are to you. If you're right up in someone's face they'll go down 100% of the time, unless they've got a big weapon (hammer/pike) or a shield. People right at the fringe are almost never knocked over.

You can also use it to knock fliers out of the air, though there's not much call for that when you've got the crossbow.
Aard comes out a lot faster, it seems. I still haven't knocked a flier out of the air with the crossbow, but I brought down the griffin and shrieker with Aard no problems.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Is there any reason why you can't lock onto bosses? I know there sure as poo poo isn't a good reason so I would like to hear any reason.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I found a place where theres a dude with a quest marker on his head who I think is bugged and it won't go away and that symbol is sitting on my map taunting me till the end of time, gently caress this game.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

cheesetriangles posted:

Is there any reason why you can't lock onto bosses? I know there sure as poo poo isn't a good reason so I would like to hear any reason.
You...can? At least, I locked onto the golem while following Keira. Which boss can't you lock onto?

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

For some reason I can't ring the peller's bell to call his goat. I'm standing right next to Princess the Goat, but pressing the R1 button won't ring the bell.

I did it somehow when I was standing next to the Peller, but it won't work now.

e: I guess it works now that I went and killed a nearby bear and switched around my R1 item a couple times.

Baxate fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 24, 2015

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

cheesetriangles posted:

It works, but there's visual indicator other than the fact that you're locked on.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Gotta admit I'm finding it difficult to see what's so bad about the Black Ones. Sure they waged an unprovoked war and think they can do things through some divine right, but they pay well. :v:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I was trying to lock onto jenny of the woods and it just wouldn't. Also gently caress that fight. Specter oil + yrden and she still took a billion hits to die.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
So the game's been telling me to upgrade my armor by clicking some icon, or item but the tooltip only shows some icon i never seen before. What gives?

I kinda hate that I got to equip the alternate sign modes, boooooooooo!

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

On PS4:

I'm doing the quest 'Magic Lamp', which is the part after you fight the first of the Wild Hunt guys. The objective is, Look for the lamp in the mage's laboratory using your Witcher Senses." I'm in the room where the minimap shows the objective and using witcher sense but nothing is glowing red and I've looted all the containers.

Anyone run into this or know where the hell the lamp is?

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid
A feature that would be useful: When buying something, it shows you how many of that item you already have in your inventory on the buy pop-up. Like how the Alchemy screen shows you how much of each you have.

cheesetriangles posted:

I was trying to lock onto jenny of the woods and it just wouldn't. Also gently caress that fight. Specter oil + yrden and she still took a billion hits to die.

Lock-on breaks when the enemy teleports or becomes intangible.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

me your dad posted:

On PS4:

I'm doing the quest 'Magic Lamp', which is the part after you fight the first of the Wild Hunt guys. The objective is, Look for the lamp in the mage's laboratory using your Witcher Senses." I'm in the room where the minimap shows the objective and using witcher sense but nothing is glowing red and I've looted all the containers.

As I recall this is right when you bust out the Eye that lets you dispel illusions? If you go to the right it leads you up an exit out of the elven ruins, if you instead went to the left that is where the lamp is. It's only like a room or two farther back, there's a room with four status flanking a door with an inscription. It's a puzzle where reading the inscription will have you light the fires at the feet of the four status in the right order, then the door opens up and hey presto there's your lamp.

It takes like three minutes from the part she asks for your help, you turn that direction and solve the status puzzle, done.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

me your dad posted:

On PS4:

Light the lamp at the ghosts, they got a green haze surrounding them and keep shinning on them until they stop talking and you get some exp, either that or check the levers to open a passage

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Honest Thief posted:

Light the lamp at the ghosts, they got a green haze surrounding them and keep shinning on them until they stop talking and you get some exp, either that or check the levers to open a passage

Nah he's on the step before that, he doesn't have the lamp and asking where to get it. It's very near where Keira gives you the quest to find it.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Weird. I looked all over for it, and eventually found an exit. The quest failed and I got a new quest: An Invitation From Keira Metz. That sucks. At least it let me fail it though. I was worried it was stuck.

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Any alcohol really, alcoholst is the top of the list it uses. If you don't have any it just moves onto the next one in your inventory.

I bought 1 Mahakman Something because I remember a recipe using it. Upon rest, it used that instead of my 25 Alcohests.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
The WItcher 3: Choose the lesser of two evils.

Man, Ladies of the Wood was one of those morality teasers. You can either kill the druid spirit trapped in the tree which would allow the three crones to continue to gather and murder orphans to 'protect' Velen or you could decide to free the druid spirit which apparently is just as wicked as the crones. It will crop up somewhere else and kill folks.

It's all pretty grimdark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

me your dad posted:

Weird. I looked all over for it, and eventually found an exit. The quest failed and I got a new quest: An Invitation From Keira Metz. That sucks. At least it let me fail it though. I was worried it was stuck.

Hmm well to be really specific as I recall: after you fight the Wild Hunt guy in the elven mage's laboratory, you search through his stuff with your Witcher Senses. You'll notice a rippling section of wall and then Keira gives you the Eye thingy to be able to dispel illusions. After you dispel the false wall, there is a T-intersection. When you reach the intersection Keira will ask you to find the lamp. Hang a left at the T to find the four statues with braziers and inscription puzzle, solving that gets you the lamp. Hang a right at the T will ascend a short passage and exit the ruins.

Edit: what might have been throwing you is the puzzle room is pretty small and dark and I think the only thing that shows up on your Witcher senses is the inscription on the wall plaque, so you might have missed it and assumed the lamp was slightly more hidden than "immediately to my left past this puzzle wall" :v:

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 24, 2015