Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
You can also vote if you are homeless:

quote:

Voting When Homeless

Oregon's homeless are able to vote. The voter must provide their current address of residence on the voter registration form. Residence is considered to be the place where the voter sleeps. This could include a shelter, a friend's home or other identifiable location. The mailing address of a person who is homeless or who resides where mail service is unavailable can be the office of the county clerk. The voter can always pick up a ballot at the county elections office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
There are no voting booths in Oregon and it's all done by mail-in/drop-off ballot and there is no loving excuse for not voting

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
While I agree with that sentiment, I didn't vote in this one because literally the entire ballot was minor county/city positions with unopposed incumbents running. :effort: to make the one-person landslide one vote bigger.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Javid posted:

While I agree with that sentiment, I didn't vote in this one because literally the entire ballot was minor county/city positions with unopposed incumbents running. :effort: to make the one-person landslide one vote bigger.

This is the dumbest reason not to vote. Especially in local elections where your vote is counted as a larger percentage and there's no electoral college stuff going on.

Always vote.

Edit: And I can't believe the entire ballot was running unopposed.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

What part of "unopposed" was unclear? The ballot was a list of winners by default for all practical purposes. Sorry for not wasting my time masturbating to DEMOCRACY by concurring with a foregone conclusion.

I will vote for a third party long shot, or take the unpopular side on an issue I do not expect to prevail on (oh hey), since there's still an opinion to be expressed there. One person I've never heard of running for Water District Council Seat #3a for a city of 1200 people is not that.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
When I voted in the last round of joke Seattle elections, I just wrote in Kshama for every unopposed candidate. Yeah she's not a judge, so what?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Mrit posted:

This is the dumbest reason not to vote. Especially in local elections where your vote is counted as a larger percentage and there's no electoral college stuff going on.

Always vote.

The entire ballot in this county was nothing but school board posts except for one measure about road funding. I put my ballot somewhere safe and couldn't find it easily, so I didn't feel too bad about not mailing it in. Or are you saying that I should have arbitrarily chose people I know nothing about for posts that I have no involvement with, just adding to the wrong side of the signal/noise ratio? Should I have voted on a measure that I was unsure about for multiple reasons, and just flipped a coin about which one to choose? Abstaining from what was basically a procedural election doesn't strike me as an unreasonable response.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Mrit posted:

If I find it or a copy I'll scan it. There wasn't one single measure or contested position.

E:

http://jacksoncountyor.org/clerk/El...pecial-Election

There are a bunch of actual races, in the larger cities I'm not in and don't vote on.

Here's the stuff I think I'm eligible to vote for: http://pastebin.com/MVBkKhWT I'm not dead sure which fire district I'm in so I included both of them.

The only race with >1 person in it is 3 people running for 3 open seats on the sewer district board.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
You should always write your own name in for everything, only you can represent your opinion 100% of the time!

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The entire ballot in this county was nothing but school board posts except for one measure about road funding. I put my ballot somewhere safe and couldn't find it easily, so I didn't feel too bad about not mailing it in. Or are you saying that I should have arbitrarily chose people I know nothing about for posts that I have no involvement with, just adding to the wrong side of the signal/noise ratio? Should I have voted on a measure that I was unsure about for multiple reasons, and just flipped a coin about which one to choose? Abstaining from what was basically a procedural election doesn't strike me as an unreasonable response.

Maybe take a few minutes to look through a voter guide. Here in Washington they are pretty comprehensive and give each side ample room to make their case. Even if you're completely unfamiliar, smelling the bullshit is usually not too hard.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

A Bag of Milk posted:

Maybe take a few minutes to look through a voter guide. Here in Washington they are pretty comprehensive and give each side ample room to make their case. Even if you're completely unfamiliar, smelling the bullshit is usually not too hard.

I did, so my opinion was not uninformed in that regard. There was nobody to obviously vote against, and a number of the positions were unopposed. This really was a largely procedural election in this county. Had I stopped vacillating and chosen a stance on the road measure, it failed by such a huge margin that it would have been a largely meaningless vote in any case.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

xrunner posted:

Edit:
We fund our police department. Why would anyone be up our rear end about us not funding public safety?

If bougie Portlanders are anything like bougie Seattlites you get people voting because of the mere perception of crime despite improving statistics. It was a serious part of why Murray won the mayoral election.

Like you see a homeless person in Cal Anderson Park once and you act like Capitol Hill is exploding in gang wars.

Though The Bears and The Dykes having a West Side Story dance off would be beautiful. :allears:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Maybe don't pick a park in the East Precinct to support your "crime in Seattle is going down!" claims.

YTD, that precinct is seeing marked increases in robbery, domestic violence, and residential burglary compared to last year.

Homicides are down a huge 67%, though!

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

seiferguy posted:

The worst city in western WA bar none is Lacey.

Any particular reason?

I've considered applying for a few jobs there over the years, but I don't know the area that well. It seemed pretty boring, was I missing something?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

effectual posted:

You should always write your own name in for everything, only you can represent your opinion 100% of the time!

Ha, I actually do this.

herbaceous backson posted:

Any particular reason?

I've considered applying for a few jobs there over the years, but I don't know the area that well. It seemed pretty boring, was I missing something?

Not entirely sure why that person hates Lacey, but there are far far worse places to work. You can easily live in Tumwater or Olympia or out in the county near Lacey and have a not bad in any way commute to work. Its a little bit strip mally with a Wal-Mart and other stores. There are some older neighborhoods that have become run down poor person areas, Tanglewild off Martin Way for example. But there are far far worse places to work and live; Kent, Tacoma, Renton, Parkland. Pretty much anywhere off of I5 between Olympia and Seattle is nasty for a variety of reasons, poor areas, impossible traffic, stinky. You can do far worse than lacey.

If there is a job you want in Lacey then living in the area isn't bad, just pick where you live well I guess is the main thing. Don't live near the dump or the mushroom farm. If you were to take a job in Lacey and live somewhere north of Lacey you'll probably want to jump off the Nisqually bridge at some point due to lovely traffic.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 22, 2015

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Kent is better than Lacey for the sole reason of being closer to Seattle. I've been here two years and I haven't been shot.*

Either is considerably better than Spanaway. Or basically anywhere east of the mountains and not on I90.

*yet. :ohdear:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Lol at anyone who thinks Tacoma is a worse place to live and work than loving Lacey.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
Tacoma smells funny

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
^^ - To be fair Lacey tends to smell like poo poo (literally) a lot of the time because Ostrom's.

DrNutt posted:

Lol at anyone who thinks Tacoma is a worse place to live and work than loving Lacey.

Tacoma is almost entirely gross. If you're in that area your best bet is probably University Place for a not lovely place to live, anything else in the Tacoma area, including Parkland and Spanaway is essentially just Lacey, but bigger.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Bucket Joneses posted:

Maybe don't pick a park in the East Precinct to support your "crime in Seattle is going down!" claims.

YTD, that precinct is seeing marked increases in robbery, domestic violence, and residential burglary compared to last year.

Homicides are down a huge 67%, though!

Huh, I didn't know that. I was more talking about in 2013, when Murray got elected. The SPD's stats show a drop in major crimes across the board and a slight increase in offenses: http://www.seattle.gov/police/crime/13_stats.htm

But yeah, I feel like crime in Seattle is fine, but am probably talking out of my rear end here. Sorry.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
I live in Lacey and it's not bad. It's hella conservative compared to Olympia and Tumwater though. And if you can tolerate the mushroom farm smell, any neighborhood near the mushroom farm is super cheap. So basically the Martin & Marvin area and South down Marvin (edited for correctness!) is a marvelous deal. I have a friend who bought a house just South of Ostroms and it only cost about $80K and is a newer house in great condition. Personally the smell makes me gag so I live out of the odor area.

The thing about the Olympia/Lacey/Tumwater area is that jobs are underpaid and super difficult to get because of all the college grads that don't want to leave the area. So if you can get a job, loving jump for joy. You're one of the few. If you lose your job, start looking for work in Tacoma. Tacoma is booming right now, so that's prob the only place you're going to get work in this area.

Also, apparently our cops have jumped on the murder train so you may not want to live here if you're black. And here I thought we were exempt from the stupidity and racism and violence, but I guess not. So much for my dream community.

Haji fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 23, 2015

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Reason posted:

^^ - To be fair Lacey tends to smell like poo poo (literally) a lot of the time because Ostrom's.

Tacoma is almost entirely gross. If you're in that area your best bet is probably University Place for a not lovely place to live, anything else in the Tacoma area, including Parkland and Spanaway is essentially just Lacey, but bigger.

You are probably retarded. Tacoma is a great place to live and UP is like Florida lite. It's only 'gross' if you're afraid of black people or hipsters. Oh no!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I haven't been to tacoma in a long time, but my brother stopped for gas there on the way to portland a couple years ago and he was shocked at how decrepit everything looked.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

DrNutt posted:

You are probably retarded. Tacoma is a great place to live and UP is like Florida lite. It's only 'gross' if you're afraid of black people or hipsters. Oh no!

Can you describe why? Its run down, there are areas with potholes bigger than the car I drive for work, they put up "Why Tacoma's Downtown is great ______" spraypaint in the downtown and someone put rape in the blank and it was there for like a year, its stinky, parking enforcement is the worst of any city I've been in, its not a super bikeable or walkable city, there aren't really any great attractions or restaurants that are something you would want to live there for, the traffic is poo poo. There has been a huge effort in the past decade or so to turn Tacoma from stinky stinktown to something else, but it hasn't gotten very far. I'm sure there are neighborhoods that aren't poo poo hidden somewhere, but for work I've probably driven over 85-90% of Tacoma and the surrounding area and I don't think you could pay me to live there.

I did live in Florida though for a while, I didn't mind the black people, but the heat was terrible. University Place doesn't really remind me of Florida. If you absolutely have to live close to Tacoma because they have some super awesome hipster nightlife or something then you might as well try to find something in like Steilacoom or even DuPont. I haven't really noticed a huge amount of people I'd describe as hipsters except maybe around the UW campus and if your entire idea of Tacoma is like the small portion that UW is on then maybe Tacoma isn't lovely.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
Tacoma has totally improved and the Tacoma Aroma has been absent for years now! It's a lot nicer than it used to be. Some really nice businesses are starting to move in as well. I used to dread Tacoma because it was extraordinarily violent and dangerous but it's changed. If I weren't so opposed to living in cities, I wouldn't mind living there at all.

Yeah, it's super hilly so bikes are right out and most people wouldn't even want to walk that, but it does have some really nice parks and if you want to get in shape, there's no better way than punishing yourself by walking the Tacoma hills. Those things are terrifying! There's even a really cute retro arcade right next to a really nice pub. Tacoma is WAY nicer than Seattle now.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Haji posted:

Tacoma has totally improved and the Tacoma Aroma has been absent for years now! It's a lot nicer than it used to be. Some really nice businesses are starting to move in as well. I used to dread Tacoma because it was extraordinarily violent and dangerous but it's changed. If I weren't so opposed to living in cities, I wouldn't mind living there at all.

Yeah, it's super hilly so bikes are right out and most people wouldn't even want to walk that, but it does have some really nice parks and if you want to get in shape, there's no better way than punishing yourself by walking the Tacoma hills. Those things are terrifying! There's even a really cute retro arcade right next to a really nice pub. Tacoma is WAY nicer than Seattle now.

Yeah, basically this.

It seems like a lot of people are still hanging on to perceptions of Tacoma from the early nineties, and it's not really fair. There are a lot of great bars and restaurants, even if you don't get some of the more diverse fare you can find up north in Seattle. But it's a hell of a lot less busy, and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to park, even on weekend nights.

I think what I like most about Tacoma is that it has enough personality to feel cool, but it hasn't blown up enough to drive cost of living through the roof. I'm sure it'll get there someday, either when the Seattle bubble bursts or when the King County NIMBY sprawl expands south enough to overtake us.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Haji posted:

The Tacoma Aroma hasn't existed for decades plural at this point... seriously people most of South Puget Sound is fine, sure parts of it are crappy but the vast majority are fine albiet pretty boring.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
There are definitely days you get the paper mill smell waiting for the bus at the Tacoma Dome but not a lot of people live sea level next to the port.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Freakazoid_ posted:

I haven't been to tacoma in a long time, but my brother stopped for gas there on the way to portland a couple years ago and he was shocked at how decrepit everything looked.

He was nowhere near downtown, guaranteed. Tacoma's nice, like Seattle Jr. Even Lakewood has areas worth visiting.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Jack2142 posted:

The Tacoma Aroma hasn't existed for decades plural at this point... seriously people most of South Puget Sound is fine, sure parts of it are crappy but the vast majority are fine albiet pretty boring.

I heard there's development happening around the waterfront that's gonna be a bunch of big box stores, strip malls, and lovely chains, which I find pretty disheartening but expected. "Boring but fine" sounds about right to me.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Tacoma is great now. Sure, areas on Portland Ave are bad but Ruston, UP, Fircrest, and downtown are significantly better than the days of the early 90s when you had the Hilltop gangs.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Was in Capitol Hill the other night and drat, there are a poo poo load of big condos/apartments being built. I doubt it's going to look the same in a few years.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

mod sassinator posted:

Was in Capitol Hill the other night and drat, there are a poo poo load of big condos/apartments being built. I doubt it's going to look the same in a few years.

You could probably say this every year since 2002 and it would have been true.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Haji posted:

a really cute retro arcade

I have never in my life heard someone describe an arcade as being cute.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Freakazoid_ posted:

It's how you describe nostalgia. It's like how in reality "the soda fountain" was a hotbed of degeneracy in the 50s (at least in the eyes of the adults of the time).

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Freakazoid_ posted:

It is though. And it's one of the only places I know still getting new pinball tables. They have Avengers, X-Men, Metallica, and Star Trek, all released in the last 5 years or so. They don't have beer on tap but they have a huge bottle selection and cheap food, and it's all ages until 9:00 PM.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
There's a neat arcade in Renton too.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

effectual posted:

There's a neat arcade in Renton too.

Is it so hard to name these places you nerds? :argh:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

RuanGacho posted:

Is it so hard to name these places you nerds? :argh:

Dorky's is the one in Tacoma. It's... not cute, but it is awesome.
The Renton one is noticeably smaller with less to play. It's called the 8-bit Arcade I believe. (DDR machines are getting difficult to find these days, I think we're limited to Dorky's and bowling alleys. Haven't been to Gameworks in awhile, do they still have one?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Dorky's is the one in Tacoma. It's... not cute, but it is awesome.
The Renton one is noticeably smaller with less to play. It's called the 8-bit Arcade I believe. (DDR machines are getting difficult to find these days, I think we're limited to Dorky's and bowling alleys. Haven't been to Gameworks in awhile, do they still have one?)

I've been to 8 bit and I think if they had some better food they could do a lot better

• Locked thread