Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Chaotic Neutral posted:

Things that seem like reasons to go past the Pyramid but aren't:

* You have four party members with different weapons needs and can only get 3 weapons with the Pyramid tablet.

The only circumstance I can think of where that would apply is with Knight (Excalibur), Berserker (Rune Axe or Assassin Dagger), Beastmaster (Flame Lash) and Samurai or Dragoon (Masamune/Holy Lance) in which case... just go to the void anyway to get the Thor Hammer, or grind Stingrays to get the Dragon Whip. Every other arrangement (in a normal run) has some means of using the Chicken Knife, or multiple users of the same type of weapon who would be boned anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Chaotic Neutral posted:

Reasons to go past the Pyramid:

* You want to steal Mirage Vests from the enemies in the Island Shrine.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
I dunno - the bell is the only really useless sealed weapon, and sometimes even the situational uses of the others can justify going for a second tablet. Any group with a Ninja, for example, is probably going to want both Sasuke's and Assassin before even getting into the rest of their party, while something like White Mage/Berserker is 2 out of 3 already, and 7 of the 9 Fire/Earth jobs want their sealed weapon.

ultrafilter posted:

* You want to steal Mirage Vests from the enemies in the Island Shrine.
Ooh, good call. Adding that and stealing the third Gold Hairpin.

Chaotic Neutral fucked around with this message at 08:07 on May 24, 2015

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

* You have four party members with different weapons needs and can only get 3 weapons with the Pyramid tablet.

The only circumstance I can think of where that would apply is with Knight (Excalibur), Berserker (Rune Axe or Assassin Dagger), Beastmaster (Flame Lash) and Samurai or Dragoon (Masamune/Holy Lance) in which case... just go to the void anyway to get the Thor Hammer, or grind Stingrays to get the Dragon Whip. Every other arrangement (in a normal run) has some means of using the Chicken Knife, or multiple users of the same type of weapon who would be boned anyway.

otoh flame lash is one of the highest dps weapons in the game if the enemy takes damage from fire3, and it's worth doing the island shrine to get the beast killer anyway. no real reason not to have all three as long as you're ok grinding stingrays

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Today I learned:

Thief's Knife can proc !Mug even if your attack misses. :psyduck:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

LaserShark posted:

I tried this the last two years, and always stop playing at the same point: in world 3, after getting the first three weapons. I keep getting confused as to what I should do next. Depending on my party, three weapons may be all I need; should I go try to pick up the rest anyway? Is there a certain order I have to visit the dungeons? Or should I just storm the void?

Anyone have any suggestions? I want to break this quitting streak.

People have mentioned the reasons to do the other stuff, but I don't think anyone's mentioned what you can do without doing the next dungeons.

Some easy stuff includes taking Boco to a waterfall and getting the Magic Lamp, which casts every summon in the game starting with Bahamut and going down the list. A key strat is using Odin from it to take out one of the Neo parts, though the AoE damage of Bahamut and Leviathan are also nice.

If you have a Summoner, you can go back to the pirate cave and pick up Syldra. Syldra ends up being the best summon when boosted with a Magus Rod.

The big one is visiting Mirage. There you can get two of the L6 spells for each school (including Quick, the true ultimate Time Mage spell, and Osmose and Arise aren't half-bad either), the Thief Knife, a Mirage Vest, and some nice weapon and armor upgrades, plus a place to stock up on the special rings from World 1 (and Running Shoes).

You can also get the Black Chocobo in Mirage and from there use it to go to a mountain where you get Bahamut (useful against enemies that absorb wind) and Phoenix Tower (Phoenix isn't as useful but I'm pretty sure there's good loot here, especially from enemies that are drops/steals).

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Another reason: it's your first time playing FF5 and you want to do every dungeon. :unsmith:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Or you're like me and want to do everything even if you don't need to.

Except I skip Fork Tower if my only option is running Omni out of MP because screw that.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
Carpets cleaned in 6 hours or your money [RETURN]!

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I'm a horrible horrible scrub who burns out on every JRPG I play because I mess around with cheat codes first time through and get complacent with that. :smith:
Let's hope I can use this as an incentive to finally finish one. :unsmith:

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Since it doesn't seem to be mentioned in the OP, what does that Fiesta State patch actually do?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Edward_Tohr posted:

Since it doesn't seem to be mentioned in the OP, what does that Fiesta State patch actually do?

It's nothing mechanical-changing; pretty sure it's just aesthetic changes.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
This will be the first summer in 4 years I'm not taking classes, so I might actually be able to complete a run!

Gilgamesh be praised!

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Kyrosiris posted:

It's nothing mechanical-changing; pretty sure it's just aesthetic changes.
Now it unlocks all the jobs at the start of the game! :toot:

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Does anyone remember any of the dumb-dumb things that dumb-dumb speedrunner said last year while running his Fiesta? I vaguely remember him saying letting the Aegis Shield burn was a good idea? :confused:

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Capsaicin posted:

Does anyone remember any of the dumb-dumb things that dumb-dumb speedrunner said last year while running his Fiesta? I vaguely remember him saying letting the Aegis Shield burn was a good idea? :confused:

I know there was something else about carefully calculating each crystal's health during the fight, and then managing to gently caress it all up.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Can Of Worms posted:

I wonder if that could actually make the early game tougher due to some jobs not getting any equipment until the end of the first world. What's the worst case scenario there?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Can Of Worms posted:

Even the GBA jobs?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Capsaicin posted:

Typing .dd in the IRC channel will give you a few choice summaries.

I think the link for the stream is under .badfiesta but I can't check for sure right now. I'm sure Kyrosiris will be happy to summarize how badly he did, though.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Nihilarian posted:

Even the GBA jobs?

No, just the ones you get from World 1, no GBA jobs and no Mimic.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

ultrafilter posted:

I wonder if that could actually make the early game tougher due to some jobs not getting any equipment until the end of the first world. What's the worst case scenario there?

By the time you reach the Fire Ship you'll have access to just about every weapon type, so it's not a big deal. Besides, everyone except White Mages and Monks can equip knives and those are incredibly common. Bards will be dead-weight until you have access to songs, though.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Mega64 posted:

I think the link for the stream is under .badfiesta but I can't check for sure right now. I'm sure Kyrosiris will be happy to summarize how badly he did, though.

That is correct.

Also holy poo poo, it was :psypop: incarnate. He also banned me from his twitch chat for trying to help him stop looking completely incompetent.

he sat and ground XP on Shield Dragons for two hours.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Chaotic Neutral posted:

Things that seem like reasons to go past the Pyramid but aren't:
* You have a Monk and the incorrect notion that boosting its attack without grinding will make it useful again (Kaiser Knuckles, Great Sea Trench)

Knuckles can drop from an enemy in Pyramid.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yeah, but it's a rare drop, and that encounter only shows up in a Monster-in-a-Box. It shows up in normal encounters in Istory Falls, though.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Evil Fluffy posted:

An enemy that is a one-time monster-in-a-box there, isn't it? They're normal enemies in Istory Falls, but by the time you can do Istory Falls you can do the Trench. So you'd have to SR that chest constantly, which makes it... not very much less tedious.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Capsaicin posted:

W.T. Fits posted:

Okay, for those who haven't been following the streams, I have to put this down to preserve it for prosperity because holy loving poo poo this is terrible.

Dragondarch's team is Monk, Mystic Knight, Beastmaster, Dancer. Here's his foolproof strategy for dealing with the Seal Guardians in Moore Forest.

1. After getting the wind drake from Bal Castle, go to Kuza and grind to level 32.
2. Proceed with the game until the Barrier Tower. Grind there for Reflect Rings.
3. Go to Drakenvale and get a Poison Eagle to cast Float on everyone.
4. Go to the Gil Cave to grind out 370,000 Gil to buy Hermes Sandals with in World 3.
5. Let the Aegis Shield be transformed into the Flame Shield.
6. Make Bartz a Mystic Knight and weaken him to critical HP.
7. Give Bartz the Flame Shield, give everyone else Reflect Rings.
8. Reset the game because Bartz got one-shotted immediately in the Seal Guardian fight.
9. Kill the Water, Earth and Wind Crystals.
10. Kill off everyone except Bartz.
11. Use !Focus + Drain Sword to kill the Fire Crystal.

SIMPLE! :pseudo:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Gonna stream a bit of my test Samurai/Ranger/Red Mage/Dragoon run. Gonna start at the point where I can actually use jobs.

http://www.twitch.tv/mega64_

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I actually got it by accident last year, I think. On the plus side, it's actually pretty good until you can afford 4 pairs of hermes sandals.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

quote:

1. After getting the wind drake from Bal Castle, go to Kuza and grind to level 32.
2. Proceed with the game until the Barrier Tower. Grind there for Reflect Rings.
3. Go to Drakenvale and get a Poison Eagle to cast Float on everyone.
4. Go to the Gil Cave to grind out 370,000 Gil to buy Hermes Sandals with in World 3.
5. Let the Aegis Shield be transformed into the Flame Shield.
6. Make Bartz a Mystic Knight and weaken him to critical HP.
7. Give Bartz the Flame Shield, give everyone else Reflect Rings.
8. Reset the game because Bartz got one-shotted immediately in the Seal Guardian fight.
9. Kill the Water, Earth and Wind Crystals.
10. Kill off everyone except Bartz.
11. Use !Focus + Drain Sword to kill the Fire Crystal.

Oh, right, and then he proceeded to get the Earth Crystal into its critical/Earth Shaker phase only to realize he'd forgotten to repeat step 3 after his reset. :downs:

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Kyrosiris posted:

That is correct.

Also holy poo poo, it was :psypop: incarnate. He also banned me from his twitch chat for trying to help him stop looking completely incompetent.

he sat and ground XP on Shield Dragons for two hours.

Somehow I managed to forget all about this horrible abortion of a run.

Is there any way to find goons streaming this or is it just going to be posted in here periodically as people do it? I wouldn't mind watching some goon runs.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

KataraniSword posted:

An enemy that is a one-time monster-in-a-box there, isn't it? They're normal enemies in Istory Falls, but by the time you can do Istory Falls you can do the Trench. So you'd have to SR that chest constantly, which makes it... not very much less tedious.
What does "SR" mean? Save/Reset?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

KataraniSword posted:

Oh, right, and then he proceeded to get the Earth Crystal into its critical/Earth Shaker phase only to realize he'd forgotten to repeat step 3 after his reset. :downs:

Nah, the Float part wasn't for the Earth Crystal, it was for the Gil Cave since the turtle in there has a party-wide ground-based attack that will kill you if you're not floating.

kaschei posted:

What does "SR" mean? Save/Reset?

Soft reset. Basically, check the chest, kill the monsters, and if the item doesn't drop, reset the game and try again.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Jibo posted:

Somehow I managed to forget all about this horrible abortion of a run.

Is there any way to find goons streaming this or is it just going to be posted in here periodically as people do it? I wouldn't mind watching some goon runs.

Your best bet is either here, the IRC channel, or the Stream thread.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

KataraniSword posted:

The first 4JF I ran a few years ago had 1 or 2 knuckles drop for me in there from those fights, not that I had a monk to use them on. :shrug:

So do they do intentionally bad runs or is the guy just severely damaged goods?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

So do they do intentionally bad runs or is the guy just severely damaged goods?

Dragondarch is just very bad at Final Fantasy V.

He loving had Mystic Knight and Beastmaster, for gently caress's sake, but pointedly ignored recommendations to get a/several Aquathornes to insta-kill the guardians.

E: You can watch the entire shitshow here: http://www.twitch.tv/dragondarchsda/c/4476152

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
I updated the balance patch after I noticed that I broke Mind Blast when I moved some things in the ROM; It would cause the player characters to enter an untargetable state (Hidden, but not hidden.) I took the oppurtunity to add a few things!

code:
* The Osafune casts Quick when used as an item, and breaks if you do this.
  (The Osafune is a Katana available at Surgate Castle in World 2.)
* The Magus Rod boosts the Water element.
* Berserkers are capable of using certain !Commands in battle if they have
  them equipped. The valid !Commands they can use are:

o !Focus
      o !Mug
      o !Jump
      o !Lance
      o !Aim
      o !Rapidfire
      o !Dance
      o !Mineuchi

Now they can use slightly more abilities!
* Carbuncle is guaranteed to drop a Reflect Ring.
* Monks now counter 90% of the time, up from 50%.
* Monks have a x1.5 damage multiplier at full health (This multiplier
  should be calculated before defense is subtracted.)
* Monks have innate Regen. (This was actually in the previous version,
  but I forgot document it...)
As usual, the patch can be found in the first post, or you can find a link in the changelog.

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 07:38 on May 25, 2015

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Is it possible to make Berserk a command rather than a passive? Cause that would make the Berserker a lot more interesting.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

ultrafilter posted:

Is it possible to make Berserk a command rather than a passive? Cause that would make the Berserker a lot more interesting.

Ew, no, that's lame

Mega64
May 23, 2008

While I'm slowly finishing up my boss guide, I started up another guide that goes into every method to inflict status effects. This should be especially helpful for Beastmasters since it gives all enemies and general locations of those enemies for every spell.

So far I've only got Blind up but I'll slowly work on more the next couple weeks. Hopefully I'll be done with it before the Fiesta begins proper.

As a side-result of this, I started an exhaustive Blue Magic guide mainly to keep separate all the various places you can get Blue Magic, but that's very low priority and for now will only be updated with the status-inflicting spells since there's already solid Blue Magic guides out there.

e: Poison's up now.

e2: And Mini since there's little to that one (though doing the Blue Magic part of it was still time-consuming).

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Mega64 posted:

While I'm slowly finishing up my boss guide, I started up another guide that goes into every method to inflict status effects. This should be especially helpful for Beastmasters since it gives all enemies and general locations of those enemies for every spell.

So far I've only got Blind up but I'll slowly work on more the next couple weeks. Hopefully I'll be done with it before the Fiesta begins proper.

As a side-result of this, I started an exhaustive Blue Magic guide mainly to keep separate all the various places you can get Blue Magic, but that's very low priority and for now will only be updated with the status-inflicting spells since there's already solid Blue Magic guides out there.

e: Poison's up now.

e2: And Mini since there's little to that one (though doing the Blue Magic part of it was still time-consuming).

Wow, this would be very cool. Dealing with all the Beastmaster possibilities might be a bit of a pain, though- especially with the weird collection of monsters that can show up in odd areas of the Rift (I know at the very least that Mammons, the trees that cast berserk, show up on the roof of the dimensional castle where you fight Twin Tania. Very helpful for berserking Shinryu).

• Locked thread