Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Lugaloco posted:

For the Cat School Gear Quest, where the hell do you go to explore the passages under Temple Isle? I've looked around everywhere for some sort of entrance but can't find anything.

Cat school quest: Start out at the waymarker for the square on the temple island. Head west until you come upon the small paved streets running roughly along the cliffside. Follow those as far downward as they go until you see a rougher path hewn directly into the cliffside below it. Jump down on that, follow it northwards, and you'll reach an illusion covering the passage entrance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
"Look at his eyes, they're like a kitty cat's!"

:3:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
I seem to remember someone saying that one should hold on to the Kaer Morhen armor that you start with, because it can be upgraded later - any truth to that?

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:
Any tips for Family Matters lubberkin path? I'm getting absolutely wrecked by the second wraith encounter. With all the god drat obstacles in the courtyard, I keep getting caught and gangbanged by the group of wraiths, despite using Yrden repeatedly. Im level 8 on Death March. Maybe I need to gain a few levels but it's level 6 and I don't feel I should be having this hard of a time. What are people doing that's working best? One or two wraiths I have 0 issues, but this is frustrating.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Who Dat posted:

Any tips for Family Matters lubberkin path? I'm getting absolutely wrecked by the second wraith encounter. With all the god drat obstacles in the courtyard, I keep getting caught and gangbanged by the group of wraiths, despite using Yrden repeatedly. Im level 8 on Death March. Maybe I need to gain a few levels but it's level 6 and I don't feel I should be having this hard of a time. What are people doing that's working best? One or two wraiths I have 0 issues, but this is frustrating.

Specter oil, Yrden and Axii were my go to's. Heartily recommend drinking some Tawny oil to be able to spam them more regularly. Remember when a wraith pops out behind you a single alt-dodge isn't enough, he follows the swing up with two more.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Andrast posted:

When you are binding the swipes, toggle the "Scan Code" option on in the binding window.

Thank you! I would have never found that. Now I can Witch like a pro.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Where did the DLC download links go?

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Solartide posted:

I bought 1 Mahakman Something because I remember a recipe using it. Upon rest, it used that instead of my 25 Alcohests.

Yeah same thing is happening to me - it's not using my stack of 30 or so alchohests and using all the other stuff.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Putting a level 33 boss at the end of an area with level 5 mobs in is really loving flow breaking.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Just happened across the diagrams for the enhanced Griffin trousers, and got a Cockatrice kill too.

Also the Yrden sign is loving useless and doesn't do anything. I cast it during the Cockatrice fight and the drat thing ran through it like it was nothing. Wasn't slowed wasn't damaged in anyway. Guess I'll be buying another damned respec potion once I can get the Cat school gear and just do full blown physical damage with it.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 24, 2015

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

poptart_fairy posted:

Putting a level 33 boss at the end of an area with level 5 mobs in is really loving flow breaking.

Talking about the Cockatrice west of Oxenford? Come back for it later.
There's even loading screens saying that you should come back later if you stumble across something that's too difficult.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Broken Cog posted:

Talking about the Cockatrice west of Oxenford? Come back for it later.
There's even loading screens saying that you should come back later if you stumble across something that's too difficult.

Hence "flow breaking" rather than "game breaking".

I just dislike it when you can follow a quest right through to the end but the final target is mathematically impossible for the player to defeat.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

What level was the quest, and was the cockatrice actually part of it or was it simply an incidental monster encounter?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

poptart_fairy posted:

Hence "flow breaking" rather than "game breaking".

I just dislike it when you can follow a quest right through to the end but the final target is mathematically impossible for the player to defeat.

What quest is that? The Cockatrice I mentioned is just guarding a treasure.

Edit: Ahahaha, you stumbled into the abandoned mine, didn't you? I did the same thing on my first run through that area. Just come back there later, it's one of the highest level quests in Velen.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's the Missing Brother quest in Velen. Level 5 mobs, but a level 33 quest surrounded by other level 5 mobs. It's only the final boss that's 35+. :psyduck:

Man, stuff like this annoyed me in Morrowind too.

Broken Cog posted:

Edit: Ahahaha, you stumbled into the abandoned mine, didn't you? I did the same thing on my first run through that area. Just come back there later, it's one of the highest level quests in Velen.

I did and yeah, bah. I know I'm in the minority but stuff like this really, really annoys me. It's acceptable in something like, say, Bloodborne where player skill has a much larger impact but doing 50 damage to something that can one-shot me due to the vast level difference is very, very annoying.

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 24, 2015

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Just happened across the diagrams for the enhanced Griffin trousers, and got a Cockatrice kill too.

Also the Yrden sign is loving useless and doesn't do anything. I cast it during the Cockatrice fight and the drat thing ran through it like it was nothing. Wasn't slowed wasn't damaged in anyway. Guess I'll be buying another damned respec potion once I can get the Cat school gear and just do full blown physical damage with it.

Yrden seems to work badly against bigger beasties, especially ones that can fly. It's best against roughly human-size and smaller stuff and especially wraiths of all kinds, as well as slow big things like trolls or golems.

Magni fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 24, 2015

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Is there a better/faster way to amass tons of alchemy ingredients than tediously walking from place to place and mashing "E"? Someone needs to port over that mod from Skyrim that just grabs stuff automatically as you walk by it.

Also: Is alchemy even worth it in this game?

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
Hot Tip: Flying creatures seem to respond badly to being axii'd over bodies of water.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Is there a better/faster way to amass tons of alchemy ingredients than tediously walking from place to place and mashing "E"? Someone needs to port over that mod from Skyrim that just grabs stuff automatically as you walk by it.

I've done a pure alchemy build on B&BB and it's been working extremely well. Being able to chug ANY potion mid combat and instantly restoring 25% of your max health is nuts.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

If you're playing on the first two difficulties you can mostly ignore it. Just randomly grabbing stuff occasionally will give you enough to get the basic potions/bombs/gear. Above that and it is pretty critical for the bonuses and abilities, as well as crafting the best gear.

Also you can buy most stuff you need for pretty cheap rather than collecting it, and the vast majority of random plants on the ground are worthless.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
this downgrade is just a mess:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ9zjVN_3qs

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Ever since i got to about level 11 the game became a lot easier on the second highest difficulty for some reason. I'm not sure if it's a scaling issue with gear and levels or if i'm just outleveling the quest line though.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
This game can be a bit buggy at times, but goddamn does it nail the timing perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZdwspLYRcU

Then Geralt's hair detached from his head and floated several feet behind him as he walked. Any other game and this would be weird, but I can easily just say "a sorceress did it" and roll with it here.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Is there some trick to traveling by boat? When I get into one, I can't do anything but walk around in it.

edit:

Ah, thanks.

lol @ being able to accelerate a sail boat at will. :D

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 24, 2015

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

PirateBob posted:

Is there some trick to traveling by boat? When I get into one, I can't do anything but walk around in it.

There should be a button prompt at the very back when you're standing in it.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I have to say I really, really dig these Witcher contract missions. They feel like a medieval CSI: Geralt. You can really buy he has years of experience working with this stuff and his deductions are usually believable.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Sykic posted:

This game can be a bit buggy at times, but goddamn does it nail the timing perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZdwspLYRcU

Then Geralt's hair detached from his head and floated several feet behind him as he walked. Any other game and this would be weird, but I can easily just say "a sorceress did it" and roll with it here.

Crystal clear. And that was the first bug to really make me laugh.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Alchemy is very worth it even if you don't invest in the skill trees for it. That is also worth it, by the way, but so far all the skill trees seem to be pretty good.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Ravenfood posted:

Alchemy is very worth it even if you don't invest in the skill trees for it. That is also worth it, by the way, but so far all the skill trees seem to be pretty good.

Decoctions are where it's at, combined with the talents that increase your toxicity ceiling based on how many recipes you own. I've got a decoction that gives me health on hit, one that increases my maximum health with each kill, and one that gives me damage resistance every time I take damage. There's a ton of other ones too that give awesome and powerful combat advantages, alchemy owns.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Any recommendations for what to do with excess piles of crafting materials? I'm hesitant to sell them because I have no idea when I'm going to need like 20 steel ingots and some meteorite metal, but also, I'm sitting at a baseline of 40/130 carry weight just with crafting materials and food now, and that's not great.

Should I just sell most of them and worry about getting what I need when I need it? Or are there some especially rare ones I should hang onto and sell others?

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

poptart_fairy posted:

It's the Missing Brother quest in Velen. Level 5 mobs, but a level 33 quest surrounded by other level 5 mobs. It's only the final boss that's 35+. :psyduck:

Heh I did the same thing. That boss must have one-shotted me a dozen times before I thought to look at the recommended level.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Harrow posted:

Any recommendations for what to do with excess piles of crafting materials? I'm hesitant to sell them because I have no idea when I'm going to need like 20 steel ingots and some meteorite metal, but also, I'm sitting at a baseline of 40/130 carry weight just with crafting materials and food now, and that's not great.

Should I just sell most of them and worry about getting what I need when I need it? Or are there some especially rare ones I should hang onto and sell others?

You sell things in an open world game? :shepface:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You sell things in an open world game? :shepface:

Not yet! But jeez, would it kill games like this to have a stash somewhere?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Somewhere there is a storage bin, and I will be able to drop off my piles of flowers and ore there, and crafters will auto-use them from the bin just like in Monster Hunter.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Wow, did I ever totally blow the Bloody Baron group of quests. Got the worst possible outcome for everybody involved. Those poor villagers...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Also, does anyone know how exactly the Armor stat works?

My question is mostly: let's say I have two pieces of chest armor. One has 75 Armor and +5% resistance to slashing, piercing, and blunt damage. The other has 63 Armor, but +20% resistance to piercing and bludgeoning, and +34% resistance to slashing. Is the higher Armor stat on that first piece going to trump the higher resistances on the other? Or the other way around?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Was that a Pulp Fiction reference in Zoltan's card quest? :allears:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Aw Geralt I wanted to bro it up with Moorhis and his awesome accent :( kind of feel like the game is blue balling me by giving me the option to go talk to the emperor and then have geralt go "nope no want the badass general to help me"

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

PirateBob posted:

edit:

Ah, thanks.

lol @ being able to accelerate a sail boat at will. :D

Pumping the sails can technically do that for you...but yeah, i found that pretty funny as well. Must have a hidden motor underneath.

Can you imagine how hilarious the boats would be if it relied on actual wind....

"oh you want to go that way...not with a head wind you dont...sail round the other island"

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008

Harrow posted:

I've been periodically selling anything above a stack of ten assuming I'll never need more then that of anything to craft items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Has anyone else had any problems getting lesser red mutagens from monsters? I've got like 4 greater blue/green mutagens, but only found 2 lesser red's throughout the game.