Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Night10194 posted:

I need more details.

I played in it, it was really amusing. One of the players was a Seneschal and his character ran into a disgruntled seneschal of one of our rival houses. The other seneschal had a better beard so the player schmoozed him up for a while made a bunch of hard rolls and dumb innuendos and suborned him to our side with "...my friend, I have but two words for you, two words to set you on a path to a glorious future; Eyvann calling." There were a bunch of fashion puns and also some really flashy orcs.

Peztopiary fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Peztopiary posted:

The other seneschal had a better beard so the player schmoozed him up for a while

I had always thought it was moustaches that established order of priority among rogue trader houses.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

I had always thought it was moustaches that established order of priority among rogue trader houses.

Thats why the bearded lady is so fearsome.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Pharmaskittle posted:

Yeah I've been playing DH2 since it came out and I still forget to do DoS the new way pretty often even though it's much easier.

I've been doing it the new way in all my PbP games I run on the forums here, because it's easier. One automatic DoS and subtract the ten numbers is math I can handle.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!
Last week in BLACK CRUSADE! :black101: The party found themselves with a slight problem as the ork kill krooza "DA CRUNCHA" had harpooned their ship and was wheeling them in while the gigantic gob on the krooza went up and down spitting out flames. How the orks are spitting flames into a vacuum was never explained. Due to some incredibly unfortunate piloting rolls and terrible gunnery/command rolls, the heretics were unable to free themselves from the harpoons. Orks being orks, assault boats launched and started attacking the lower areas of the ship. It was at this point the apostate remembered something.

"The lower areas of the ship? Isn't that where all the murder servitors we were never able to get rid of are? :catholic:
"Er, yes. Yes it is." :orks:

There were also stormboyz flying across the gap in between the frigate and the krooza. The heretics managed to fend them off until the apostate (who had avoided being in combat the entire time) and the sorcerer finally freed their ship. The chaos fleet they had brought with them couldn't manage to kill the krooza, but the heretics kept their ship from being literally chewed up by the orks. Because they couldn't blow up the krooza, and they hadn't boarded the vessel, the infamous KAPTIN' KRUNCH still roams the galaxy and will almost certainly come back to pester the heretics once more. But for now, the ork threat to the shipping that the pirates prey on is gone.

I had everything set up for the party to go counter board the krooza, but no one in the party wanted to be brave/suicidal. The group has such a sense of self preservation.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Gaghskull posted:

Last week in BLACK CRUSADE! :black101: The party found themselves with a slight problem as the ork kill krooza "DA CRUNCHA" had harpooned their ship and was wheeling them in while the gigantic gob on the krooza went up and down spitting out flames. How the orks are spitting flames into a vacuum was never explained. Due to some incredibly unfortunate piloting rolls and terrible gunnery/command rolls, the heretics were unable to free themselves from the harpoons. Orks being orks, assault boats launched and started attacking the lower areas of the ship. It was at this point the apostate remembered something.

"The lower areas of the ship? Isn't that where all the murder servitors we were never able to get rid of are? :catholic:
"Er, yes. Yes it is." :orks:

There were also stormboyz flying across the gap in between the frigate and the krooza. The heretics managed to fend them off until the apostate (who had avoided being in combat the entire time) and the sorcerer finally freed their ship. The chaos fleet they had brought with them couldn't manage to kill the krooza, but the heretics kept their ship from being literally chewed up by the orks. Because they couldn't blow up the krooza, and they hadn't boarded the vessel, the infamous KAPTIN' KRUNCH still roams the galaxy and will almost certainly come back to pester the heretics once more. But for now, the ork threat to the shipping that the pirates prey on is gone.

I had everything set up for the party to go counter board the krooza, but no one in the party wanted to be brave/suicidal. The group has such a sense of self preservation.

Don't you worry, I haven't forgotten about those murder servitors. We've had one run in with them afaik and it involved our two best fighters being instagibbed, one of which was standing right next to me so it could've very easily been me. My character has such a terrible fear and loathing of them that he convinced everybody to bring on board a shitload of orks just to have them destroyed.

I've really found my stride with my Apostate. I'm terrible, horrible, awful in combat but I have a huge party of followers who aren't and am more than willing to give the Servitor Horde another few compartments if it means they horrifically massacre all unsuspecting boarding orks. Also it's my job to propose crazy poo poo and see if people will stop me, which they don't

I'll be the one in the back, giving +willpower bonuses and fellowship rolls while other people do all the dirty work. While I'm in the back, cooking up absurdly lethal mutagenic turbokill drugs and nanobots swarms to deliver them

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 21, 2015

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Epic High Five posted:

Don't you worry, I haven't forgotten about those murder servitors. We've had one run in with them afaik and it involved our two best fighters being instagibbed, one of which was standing right next to me so it could've very easily been me. My character has such a terrible fear and loathing of them that he convinced everybody to bring on board a shitload of orks just to have them destroyed.

Of course, given the results of using orks to wipe out Tyranids in 40K, there is now obviously an ongoing war between them and the murder servitors in the bowels of the ship for supremacy. No doubt the servitors are dragging orks to whatever secret manufactory produced them to manufacture new and more terrible (and greener) murder machines to make up their losses.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

MadDogMike posted:

Of course, given the results of using orks to wipe out Tyranids in 40K, there is now obviously an ongoing war between them and the murder servitors in the bowels of the ship for supremacy. No doubt the servitors are dragging orks to whatever secret manufactory produced them to manufacture new and more terrible (and greener) murder machines to make up their losses.

Trying to walk orks over another problem never ends well, but it always ends amazingly.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

What does your PhD in orkology tell you about this Dr. Night24673746382938370/

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Actually in my campaign the orks have been genetically engineered by a rogue mechanicus into being extremely intelligent, and friendly, and willing to talk about trains with me.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I just made an Explorator who is a better version of an ork in a Roll20 Rogue Trader game. So many mutations, but... 92 Toughness and 30 wounds.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

FireSight posted:

...92 Toughness and 30 wounds

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Viva Miriya posted:

What does your PhD in orkology tell you about this Dr. Night24673746382938370/

Jesus Christ, are you still on about this?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

He has problems letting things go.

Sour Blossom
Apr 21, 2005
L O L 6 6

Someday I want to run a one-shot where the party plays as Titan Princeps. Princepses? Princepi? There are stats for Warhounds in one of the Deathwatch books. The only question is what system to use. Maybe high level Only War where everyone plays an Operator/Tank Ace? A handwaved Warlord with everyone onboard as Princeps, Moderati, Enginseer, etc could be interesting too.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
Dark Heresy, where the acolytes are investigating possible corruption deep within the bowels of an Imperator Titan. Does the chaos taint run all the way to the top? Throw in interference from unhappy members of the Collegia Titanica and Mechanicus.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

The final battle, you kill the princeps and then one of you must jack yourself into the titan to fight with the machine spirit directly.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

I dunno am I?

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
Psyker pushes powers at the exact wrong moment and then you switch to Black Crusade as a daemonhost Titan - or would that be too much...

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

FireSight posted:

The final battle, you kill the princeps and then one of you must jack yourself into the titan to fight with the machine spirit directly.

One? Everyone is forcibly jacked in by the command centre and then you hand out the shadowrun decker sheets.

Sour Blossom
Apr 21, 2005
L O L 6 6
That's when your goal becomes "Power up and punch Gork and/or Mork in the face."

Edit: referring to BC campaign switchover, of course.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Lord Awkward posted:

Dark Heresy, where the acolytes are investigating possible corruption deep within the bowels of an Imperator Titan. Does the chaos taint run all the way to the top? Throw in interference from unhappy members of the Collegia Titanica and Mechanicus.

The actual battle going on outside only occasionally becomes relevant.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

The actual battle going on outside only occasionally becomes relevant.
You lose contact with your Inquisitor as soon as the void shields go up, maybe things tilt a little if you're in one of the legs, maybe the lights dim a bit when the biggest guns fire but until enemy Titans show up or someone decides to hit you from orbit the outside world probably wouldn't affect much yeah

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Sour Blossom posted:

Someday I want to run a one-shot where the party plays as Titan Princeps. Princepses? Princepi?

Principes :hist101:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Sour Blossom posted:

Someday I want to run a one-shot where the party plays as Titan Princeps. Princepses? Princepi? There are stats for Warhounds in one of the Deathwatch books. The only question is what system to use. Maybe high level Only War where everyone plays an Operator/Tank Ace? A handwaved Warlord with everyone onboard as Princeps, Moderati, Enginseer, etc could be interesting too.

Epic 40k? Otherwise, I guess battletech would do in a pinch.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I'm working on a high concept for a game I would play with my local gaming group (or potentially PBP here somewhere down the line) based roughly on the world of the Knights of Cydonia music video.

I've got it worked out to Only War with the following regiment:

Frontier world
Rough Riders Regiment
Skirmisher Doctrine
Sanguine Commanding officer
Honor Bound Drawback

The planet is mostly rocky with small patches of grasses and low shrubs. There is enough arable land to feed the small amount of planetary inhabitants, but is more known more for it's mining and quarrying aspects. The technology level is not as low as a feudal planet (there is still wide access to things like Lasguns and flak armor), but the "modern" conveniences of imperial society (servitors, advanced weaponry, mass deployments of vehicles) is extremely rare. Player characters are members of the [Planet's name] Knights, a specialized branch of the PDF more in line with peacekeepers and marshals than rank and file army. Players would be tasked with things like settling labor riots, tracking wanted individuals and bounties, and weeding out corruption in the power positions of the towns and communities they pass through.

Do you guys think this would work as a concept, or would it be easier to try and do it in Dark Heresy 2 or some sort.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!
This week in BLACK CRUSADE :black101: The group of heretics for the past couple of weeks have been trying to figure out what the hell to do. They still have a station of indeterminate power, a hold full of psykers that they "liberated" from an Imperial world before a black ship showed up, and have a frigate that still has the symbols of the Inquisition emblazoned proudly on the sides. Players being players, they decided to join the pirates in raiding the poo poo out of Imperial worlds. As the station is somewhat off the main trade lanes, the heretics flew as fast as possible to Erioc. Erioc was an imperial world that used to be much busier before the passage into the Koronus expanse opened up, but there is still the occasional ship showing up here or there.

Because the Inquisition hasn't gotten around to spreading the word that one of their ships has been lost, the group bluffed their way past the system defense ships. They desperately tried to avoid actually landing on the surface by declaring their need for repairs at the station in orbit. Thus began the plan I have taken to calling "Destructanator's 4". The less horribly mutated members of the party (the techpriest with an ingrown gun and a renegade with the illusion of normality) board the station, waving Inquisitorial insignia and robes around declaring "WE NEED TO INSPECT THE STATION THEN SEND A PRIORITY MESSAGE THROUGH YOUR ASTROPATHS". They both have dark soul, which meant that PDF and station master really didn't want to actually question who they thought were Inquisition. During the inspection, the renegade was dropping hallucinogenic grenades using some superb slight of hand rolls in the barracks, bridge, and anywhere else they thought were important.

Meanwhile, the legionnaire sorcerer launched himself out of an airlock of the frigate and used a jury rigged system of fire extinguishers to maneuver himself towards the comm tower. Once the heretek and renegade made it to the astropaths, one of the blind psykers immediately noticed that the renegade was a horrible mutant concealing himself with psychic powers. Then all hell broke loose with the sorcerer blowing up the comms tower, the renegade and heretek blowing away some of the astropaths, and then the accidental summoning of a blood letter who started ripping apart another astropath. Then, because it hadn't gotten crazy enough, the renegade also decided to blow the hallucinogen grenades to cap off the situation.

In the end, the heretics took over the station with no one the wiser (although the vast majority of the station much more dead), looted the thing for anything they could carry in arms, food, and supplies, then sent the 3 mile wide station crashing down into the planet below. They declared "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED".

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Colony dropping is always a good plan.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

DeathSandwich posted:

I'm working on a high concept for a game I would play with my local gaming group (or potentially PBP here somewhere down the line) based roughly on the world of the Knights of Cydonia music video.

Frontier world
Rough Riders Regiment
Skirmisher Doctrine
Honor Bound Drawback

The planet is mostly rocky with small patches of grasses and low shrubs. There is enough arable land to feed the small amount of planetary inhabitants, but is more known more for it's mining and quarrying aspects. The technology level is not as low as a feudal planet (there is still wide access to things like Lasguns and flak armor), but the "modern" conveniences of imperial society (servitors, advanced weaponry, mass deployments of vehicles) is extremely rare. Player characters are members of the [Planet's name] Knights, a specialized branch of the PDF more in line with peacekeepers and marshals than rank and file army. Players would be tasked with things like settling labor riots, tracking wanted individuals and bounties, and weeding out corruption in the power positions of the towns and communities they pass through.

Do you guys think this would work as a concept, or would it be easier to try and do it in Dark Heresy 2 or some sort.

This is a super cool concept and you should be Proud (™).

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

goatface posted:

Colony dropping is always a good plan.

Across different systems, groups, and players, the theme remains the same. Somewhere, somehow, something really drat big is getting dropped. In Dark Heresy my players accidentally caused the spire of a hive to fall down into the rest of the hive. In Rogue Trader, the group used the teleporter to take over ships then slam them into enemies on the ground, and now this group is slamming entire stations into planets because they're not sure what else to do with it.

If I had given a Delta Green group enough explosives, I'm sure they'd figure out a way to drop a cliff on top of a shoggoth. They already did that in Call of C'thulhu.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
As long as you're remaining within the physical world at least, gravity is always available to be your force multiplier. It's an option that transcends setting and system, and works at almost any technology level.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

DeathSandwich posted:

Frontier world
Rough Riders Regiment
Skirmisher Doctrine
Honor Bound Drawback

Only War can manage it but check out the Book of Judgement for info on the Suffering Marshals because they sound p similar. Only they don't go around in squads, they Go It Alone.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

Gaghskull posted:

Across different systems, groups, and players, the theme remains the same. Somewhere, somehow, something really drat big is getting dropped. In Dark Heresy my players accidentally caused the spire of a hive to fall down into the rest of the hive. In Rogue Trader, the group used the teleporter to take over ships then slam them into enemies on the ground, and now this group is slamming entire stations into planets because they're not sure what else to do with it.

If I had given a Delta Green group enough explosives, I'm sure they'd figure out a way to drop a cliff on top of a shoggoth. They already did that in Call of C'thulhu.

Hey! We also got some boarding craft! Kaptain Krunch, here we come!

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

goatface posted:

As long as you're remaining within the physical world at least, gravity is always available to be your force multiplier. It's an option that transcends setting and system, and works at almost any technology level.

Well, that was little Bash's favorite option at least.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Got this thought stuck in my head today, decided to see if it was actually possible. Turns out it was really easy.

pre:
Rapid Reconnaissance Regiment (0/17 points)

Home world: Penitent (3 points)
Commanding Officer: Supine (1 Point)
Regiment Type: Rapid Reconnaissance (8 points)
Training Doctrines: None
Special Equipment: Heavy Lancers (5 points)
Drawback: Incompetent Leadership (+5 points)

Favored Basic Weapon: ?
Favored Heavy Weapon: ?

Aptitudes: Weapon Skill

Characteristics: +3 to two of Fel, T, or WP; +3 Ag, -3 T

Skills: Common Lore (Ecclesiarchy+10, Imperial Creed+10), Intimidate, Linguistics (Low Gothic), Operate (surface), 

Tech-Use

Talents: Combat Sense or Accelerated Repairs, Unstoppable Charge

Special Rules:

The Blood of Martyrs: Gain one of Nerves of Steel, Orthopoxy, or Unshakeable Faith

Only One Life to Give"Witness me, Emperor!": Must pass an Ordinary (+10) Willpower test to retreat or act in the 

interest of self-preservation.

Untempered Zeal: Re-roll any failed Charm tests to inspire religious fervor or righteous hatred in others.

Orders of Fools: -10 to Command tests during combat, must make Routine (+20) Command or Intimidate test as part of 

any comrade order that does not require a command test.

Staring Wounds: +2

Standard Kit:
2x Hunting Lance per PC
1x Melta Hunting Lance Tip per PC
1x Tauros per PC
1x Magnoculars per PC

Additional Equipment: 0/30
1x Melta Hunting Lance Tip per PC (20)
1x Hunting Lance per PC (10)
I really love how this took almost no change at all to make it fit into Warhammer 40,000.

Edit: Oh yeah, don't actually know it the book lets you throw hunting lances, but who the hell would say no to that?

Astus fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 2, 2015

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just invent the javelin grenade.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Astus posted:

Edit: Oh yeah, don't actually know it the book lets you throw hunting lances, but who the hell would say no to that?

Same people who'd say you can't throw krak grenades or melta bombs, I guess.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Same people who'd say you can't throw krak grenades or melta bombs, I guess.

Why wouldn't you be able to throw krak grenades?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Gaghskull posted:

This week in BLACK CRUSADE :black101: The group of heretics for the past couple of weeks have been trying to figure out what the hell to do. They still have a station of indeterminate power, a hold full of psykers that they "liberated" from an Imperial world before a black ship showed up, and have a frigate that still has the symbols of the Inquisition emblazoned proudly on the sides. Players being players, they decided to join the pirates in raiding the poo poo out of Imperial worlds. As the station is somewhat off the main trade lanes, the heretics flew as fast as possible to Erioc. Erioc was an imperial world that used to be much busier before the passage into the Koronus expanse opened up, but there is still the occasional ship showing up here or there.

Because the Inquisition hasn't gotten around to spreading the word that one of their ships has been lost, the group bluffed their way past the system defense ships. They desperately tried to avoid actually landing on the surface by declaring their need for repairs at the station in orbit. Thus began the plan I have taken to calling "Destructanator's 4". The less horribly mutated members of the party (the techpriest with an ingrown gun and a renegade with the illusion of normality) board the station, waving Inquisitorial insignia and robes around declaring "WE NEED TO INSPECT THE STATION THEN SEND A PRIORITY MESSAGE THROUGH YOUR ASTROPATHS". They both have dark soul, which meant that PDF and station master really didn't want to actually question who they thought were Inquisition. During the inspection, the renegade was dropping hallucinogenic grenades using some superb slight of hand rolls in the barracks, bridge, and anywhere else they thought were important.

Meanwhile, the legionnaire sorcerer launched himself out of an airlock of the frigate and used a jury rigged system of fire extinguishers to maneuver himself towards the comm tower. Once the heretek and renegade made it to the astropaths, one of the blind psykers immediately noticed that the renegade was a horrible mutant concealing himself with psychic powers. Then all hell broke loose with the sorcerer blowing up the comms tower, the renegade and heretek blowing away some of the astropaths, and then the accidental summoning of a blood letter who started ripping apart another astropath. Then, because it hadn't gotten crazy enough, the renegade also decided to blow the hallucinogen grenades to cap off the situation.

In the end, the heretics took over the station with no one the wiser (although the vast majority of the station much more dead), looted the thing for anything they could carry in arms, food, and supplies, then sent the 3 mile wide station crashing down into the planet below. They declared "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED".

I'm glad that even in my absence, the group can both formulate and execute profoundly stupid and short sighted actions for no better reason than 1) nobody can stop us and 2) CHAOS BABY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Why would you throw krak grenades when you can punch with them?