Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ATP_Power posted:

When did the rhetoric change from "the loyal opposition"

This never existed in the US. Only reason it seemed that way is because everyone loved ol' George Washington, but there was already hatred within congress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Joementum posted:

Naturally, Bernie's announcement will feature free ice cream. And it will be Ben & Jerry's and Ben and Jerry will speak at the event and Jerry says he wants to help serve the ice cream.

Ben was going to serve but he didn't think Bernie was a viable customer

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

sullat posted:

Those are mostly state things, though? We had one in California, and it had wide support from all sectors, because "tough on crime while secretly hoping to keep the minorities down" is popular on both sides of the political divide.

They started as state laws. Then Clinton made it national.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Mister Macys posted:

They started as state laws. Then Clinton made it national.

Surely the number of people who get convicted three times for federal offenses is minuscule? Not that it's good policy, but still.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I'm going to support Fox News on that one and agree that mustard on a burger is un-American. The only sauce on burgers should be gimmicky aiolis or spicy BBQ sauces.

This is why they never rehabilitated you you loving monster.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

midnightclimax posted:

Politicians eating in public should be a big PR nono. It usually looks disgusting, never flattering, and the only outcome is some dumb memes and photoshop contests on reddit. Why?

Don't you dare take it away. We get to force them to eat for our amusement, and I need every cathartic photo I can get.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Jack of Hearts posted:

Surely the number of people who get convicted three times for federal offenses is minuscule? Not that it's good policy, but still.

Third violent felony charge. That could be as simple as getting into a bar fight on probation.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/06/politics/bill-clinton-crime-prisons-hillary-clinton/

I'm on my phone at work, so you'll have to read it. I don't have time to quote it.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 24, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

:sweatdrop: SPF

So when are we getting Campaign Crocs?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Mo_Steel posted:

Don't you dare take it away. We get to force them to eat for our amusement, and I need every cathartic photo I can get.

Universal health care it ain't, but it's SOMETHING.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zwabu posted:

Universal health care it ain't, but it's SOMETHING.

Baby steps. First we make them eat our state fair foods en masse, then when they are exhausted and slumped in a wooden bench, wheezing for air as flies swarm and babies wail in massive strollers next to them, then we make our move. Universal health care? We'll get it in exchange for a ride on a golf cart out of the fair and some Pepto-Bismol. :getin:

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Mister Macys posted:

Third violent felony charge. That could be as simple as getting into a bar fight on probation.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/06/politics/bill-clinton-crime-prisons-hillary-clinton/

I'm on my phone at work, so you'll have to read it. I don't have time to quote it.

I read that before I responded to you. I don't get it, getting into a bar fight wouldn't be a federal offense.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Gravel Gravy posted:

Would it have been worse if Obama had asked for hoity toity French's mustard

I remain convinced the White House started home brewing because Obama got sick of constantly having to drink stuff like bud lite.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Mo_Steel posted:

Baby steps. First we make them eat our state fair foods en masse, then when they are exhausted and slumped in a wooden bench, wheezing for air as flies swarm and babies wail in massive strollers next to them, then we make our move. Universal health care? We'll get it in exchange for a ride on a golf cart out of the fair and some Pepto-Bismol. :getin:

Force every presidential candidate to visit the Texas State Fair and have them judge the deep-fried food sections while the crowd takes bets. Which one will be the straw that breaks the camel's backs this year? The deep fried Twinkie and peppers are merely appetizers, they have to get through deep fried ice cream, deep fried soda and finally deep fried bubblegum to escape.

The only candidate able to walk out on his own two feet would be Christie.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
You're a monster.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mo_Steel posted:

:sweatdrop: SPF

So when are we getting Campaign Crocs?

Shitheel Protection Factor.

It's gonna be a lovely summer with the filth being all spun up in :iceburn: mode everywhere trying to land a good burn about 20-year-old tinfoil conspiracies.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

This never existed in the US. Only reason it seemed that way is because everyone loved ol' George Washington, but there was already hatred within congress.

ahahahahahahaha

Anti-Federalists loving hated him, and their newspapers openly cheered when he died.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

eviltastic posted:

I remain convinced the White House started home brewing because Obama got sick of constantly having to drink stuff like bud lite.

Didn't George Washington have his beer brewed on site too to his own specific recipe even? Hipster micro brewing is as American as apple pie.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Neo Rasa posted:

Didn't George Washington have his beer brewed on site too to his own specific recipe even? Hipster micro brewing is as American as apple pie.

Give the guy a break, he was homies with Sam Adams.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Neo Rasa posted:

George Washington had one of, if not the, biggest whiskey distillery in the Americas.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Some of the founding fathers kind of sucked (looking at you Jefferson) but George Washington was basically the man.

Except for the whole slavery thing

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Ogmius815 posted:

Even on that count, he was immensely more humane than other slaveholders of the age. He might well have freed his slaves during his lifetime, but the laws regarding manumission in Virginia at the time were pretty nasty.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Jack of Hearts posted:

I read that before I responded to you. I don't get it, getting into a bar fight wouldn't be a federal offense.

It's any violent felony. Plenty of misdemeanors become felonies if they're repeat offenses, or done during probation/bail/etc.

And since America is about retribution, and not about reducing recidivism...

Malmesbury Monster
Nov 5, 2011

Jack of Hearts posted:

Even on that count, he was immensely more humane than other slaveholders of the age. He might well have freed his slaves during his lifetime, but the laws regarding manumission in Virginia at the time were pretty nasty.

Dunno if Oney Judge would have agreed.

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

Jack of Hearts posted:

On the other hand, Oney Judge and a mountain of evidence to the contrary.

In other news, apparently some Reddit users (or just one nutter) thinks there is a conspiracy to nix Bernie Sanders' AMA upvotes. Man, it really must be a slow goddamn news day.

Edit: beaten

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Jack of Hearts posted:

The documentary Con-Air begs to differ.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Jack of Hearts posted:

Well he did actively hunt down escaped slaves so...

quote:

Judge fled Philadelphia for Portsmouth, N.H., a city with 360 free black people, and virtually no slaves. Within a few months of her arrival, Judge married Jack Staines, a free black sailor, with whom she had three children. Judge and her offspring were vulnerable to slave catchers. They lived as free people, but legally belonged to Martha Washington.

Washington and his agents pursued Judge for three years, dispatching friends, officials and relatives to find and recapture her. Twelve weeks before his death, Washington was still actively pursuing her, but with the help of close allies, Judge managed to elude his slave-catching grasp.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/16/opinion/george-washington-slave-catcher.html

Sharkie fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 24, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Alligator Horse posted:

In other news, apparently some Reddit users (or just one nutter) thinks there is a conspiracy to nix Bernie Sanders' AMA upvotes. Man, it really must be a slow goddamn news day.

You have to admit, it's a little weird that Reddit uses Diebold machines to count upvotes.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ogmius815 posted:

Some of the founding fathers kind of sucked (looking at you Jefferson) but George Washington was basically the man.

You don't get a nickname that translates from Iriquois as "Devourer of Villages" for planting peace lilies.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Jack of Hearts posted:

The guy specifically split his calendar and residency in Pennsylvania so that he wouldn't have to free his slaves. For whatever credit he may deserve, "kind slavemaster who wanted freedom for all" is not part of that

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I think the only founding father who never owned slaves was Sam Adams. He made it a point to only employ free laborers. The worst thing I've heard about him is that his beer kind of sucked.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Alligator Horse posted:

Edit: beaten
This reminds me of back when voting-ring conspiracies were actually a thing - on Digg.

I'm sure there's stuff going on at reddit, but not on any significant scale larger than stroking someone's ego.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Mo_Steel posted:

Here you go!

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
I know the history education has not served us well on the topic of slavery so let me try and help with a mini effort post. In Pre-abolition America, slaves were the embodiment of capital, just like how houses are today. They were the source of wealth the underpinned most of the rest of the economy. Past the robust slave trade on the south, in the north there was an extensive market in slavery tied financial instruments. These served as the backbone of the wealth of the banks, and provided the funding network that made colonization and expansion possible, just as slaves provided the labor to carry out the activities those banks were funding. And their labor produced profit which was then delivered as returns to the banks and used to fund further growth, of held by the owners and invested in further growth. Like homes today, owning slaves was a market of upward mobility, a source of class distinction, and a source of wealth to be used in accruing more wealth. While something like only 1.6% of the population owned slaves, it was something the rest of the population strove towards because of the status and wealth doing so conferred; again, just like houses today.

Washington's freeing of his slaves came on his deathbed and should be seen like the guy who leaves his money to charity after he doesn't need it any more. That is very different from Warren Buffet divesting most of his wealth while he still lived, which is what freeing them while alive would have been closer to.

I strongly recommend reading this book. It is an eye opener towards gaining more understanding about the key financial role slavery played in the formation of this country.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Who sticks out their tongue before biting a corn dog? I don't understand how that would even happen.

Wanda Wanda
Oct 22, 2010

i want to wad you up into my life

Fried Chicken posted:

Washington's freeing of his slaves came on his deathbed and should be seen like the guy who leaves his money to charity after he doesn't need it any more. That is very different from Warren Buffet divesting most of his wealth while he still lived, which is what freeing them while alive would have been closer to.

I strongly recommend reading this book. It is an eye opener towards gaining more understanding about the key financial role slavery played in the formation of this country.

moller posted:

Who sticks out their tongue before biting a corn dog? I don't understand how that would even happen.

This thread :allears:

Wanda Wanda fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 24, 2015

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mister Macys posted:

Three strikes laws. He decided he'd rather court middle and upper class Republican votes by making a law in a country where poor blacks are already disproportionately charged and convicted because "we gotta stop the gangstas, rap music and drivebys".

You mean that thing both he and Hillary have said was a huge, huge mistake? Or is this one of those things where going to a popular position in the 90s was showing their true colors, but saying they now think it was a terrible thing (even if it's not popular to say so) is just pandering?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Ogmius815 posted:

jefferson was actually one of the better founding fathers if youre going to ignore slavery, its just that his ideology doesn't fit at all in a world after industrialization

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

I know the history education has not served us well on the topic of slavery so let me try and help with a mini effort post. In Pre-abolition America, slaves were the embodiment of capital, just like how houses are today. They were the source of wealth the underpinned most of the rest of the economy. Past the robust slave trade on the south, in the north there was an extensive market in slavery tied financial instruments. These served as the backbone of the wealth of the banks, and provided the funding network that made colonization and expansion possible, just as slaves provided the labor to carry out the activities those banks were funding. And their labor produced profit which was then delivered as returns to the banks and used to fund further growth, of held by the owners and invested in further growth. Like homes today, owning slaves was a market of upward mobility, a source of class distinction, and a source of wealth to be used in accruing more wealth. While something like only 1.6% of the population owned slaves, it was something the rest of the population strove towards because of the status and wealth doing so conferred; again, just like houses today.

I remember reading a treatise on the reasons why certain cultures, ancient and modern, practiced slavery. It basically boiled down to the idea that if labor was at a premium and in a position to demand that premium, it was more cost efficient to practice slavery. Colonial America is a good example of this. Most Persian empires were rather slave averse, mostly due to Zoroastrianism, while what you quoted basically described Roman culture for most of it's history. At one point in the early empire, 4 people owned nearly all the land in the province of Asia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Fried Chicken posted:

I can second the recommendation of this book - it really is excellent and thoroughly discredits the idea that Slavery and Capitalism were mutually exclusive (specifically that Slavery would eventually fall apart because of Capitalist pressures). Nothing could be further from the truth.

moller posted:

People who have never eaten a corn dog, apparently.

• Locked thread