Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!
I recently watched The Retrieval, and I recommend it.

I also recently watched Jinn against my better judgement, and I would recommend ripping off your fingernails slowly instead. It might be watchable if you're blackout drunk and have a good sense of humor, otherwise steer clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

If the rest of Comedy Bang Bang season 3 doesn't come out soon, I'm just going to pitch a fit.

If you like depressing movies, check out The Homesman. It's about a tie between this and The Wrestler for the most depressing movies I've ever seen. I wonder now if Hilary Swank is type-cast as characters who just get poo poo on a lot.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I'm watching Big Trouble in Little China and I cannot figure out why everyone likes this movie. I'm not saying I don't like it, I like it a lot. I just don't get why.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Rolo posted:

I'm watching Big Trouble in Little China and I cannot figure out why everyone likes this movie. I'm not saying I don't like it, I like it a lot. I just don't get why.

One doesn't have to understand how genius works, just appreciate it for what it is.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Rolo posted:

You leave Jack Burton alone :mad:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
You sycophants can't leave someone alone for saying they don't know why they like thing you like?

Personally, I haven't seen all of it and can't tell if I liked what I saw or what the appeal was.

I happen to prefer My Name is Bruce as a portrayal of a typical Chinaman gone amok.

And Bruce Campbell outshone Kurt Russel in Escape From LA which itself was superior to Escape From NY.

IMHO

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Captain Lavender posted:

If the rest of Comedy Bang Bang season 3 doesn't come out soon, I'm just going to pitch a fit.

If you like depressing movies, check out The Homesman. It's about a tie between this and The Wrestler for the most depressing movies I've ever seen. I wonder now if Hilary Swank is type-cast as characters who just get poo poo on a lot.

I really liked The Homesman. What did you think of The Road?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

So Inglorious Basterds is on Netflix. Fun watch.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

syscall girl posted:

You sycophants can't leave someone alone for saying they don't know why they like thing you like?

Personally, I haven't seen all of it and can't tell if I liked what I saw or what the appeal was.

I happen to prefer My Name is Bruce as a portrayal of a typical Chinaman gone amok.

And Bruce Campbell outshone Kurt Russel in Escape From LA which itself was superior to Escape From NY.

IMHO

I thought you meant "They Call Me Bruce" and I was really confused for a moment.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

jodai posted:

I thought you meant "They Call Me Bruce" and I was really confused for a moment.

oh what a feeling

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Reign Of Pain posted:

I really liked The Homesman. What did you think of The Road?

I liked the Homesman too. I just wish I didn't watch it right before bed. I'll check out The Road and get back.

I'm not a huge Anthony Bordain fan - I dunno what it is about him. It's like he really wants to sell himself as both a foodie elite and a salt-of-the-earth figure. Jury's still out for me. But I do love his The Layover series. Really gives a cool insight from locals of each place he goes about the types of places and food you might look for if you visited for a day.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

syscall girl posted:

"You leave Jack Burton alone" is a line from the film. I was being silly.

Rolo, buddy, I'm glad you liked it. It's a really fun film.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Captain Lavender posted:

I'm not a huge Anthony Bordain fan - I dunno what it is about him. It's like he really wants to sell himself as both a foodie elite and a salt-of-the-earth figure. Jury's still out for me. But I do love his The Layover series. Really gives a cool insight from locals of each place he goes about the types of places and food you might look for if you visited for a day.

I love Bourdain, and while I liked The Layover, the editing in it really bugged me. I get what they were trying to do with the split screens and sped-up pace and everything, but it didn't work for me. Plus I really, really hate shaky camera work.

Parts Unknown, on the other hand, is pretty great. The Tangier episode made me want to move there immediately.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

"You leave Jack Burton alone" is a line from the film. I was being silly.

Rolo, buddy, I'm glad you liked it. It's a really fun film.

I picked that up, I was watching it while posting about it. Honestly it's a c+ supernatural action movie without Kurt Russell's character completely bringing it home by being so oblivious and outside of his element.

Every "oh GOD what the hell is that?!" slays me.

Basically I love Kurt Russell.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rolo posted:

I picked that up, I was watching it while posting about it. Honestly it's a c+ supernatural action movie without Kurt Russell's character completely bringing it home by being so oblivious and outside of his element.

Every "oh GOD what the hell is that?!" slays me.

Basically I love Kurt Russell.

He's like a retarded John Wayne in that movie. It's one of my and my brother's favorite movies, and our SOs can't stand it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Crow Jane posted:

I love Bourdain, and while I liked The Layover, the editing in it really bugged me. I get what they were trying to do with the split screens and sped-up pace and everything, but it didn't work for me. Plus I really, really hate shaky camera work.

Parts Unknown, on the other hand, is pretty great. The Tangier episode made me want to move there immediately.

We usually have CNN playing at work so a Parts Unknown marathon on the weekends is always a nice treat. I want to like him more but he lacks the charm of someone like Mike Rowe.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The first time my fiance watched Big Trouble in Little China she was convinced that it wasn't meant to be comedic and it was just all around bad. It wasn't until the giant neon skull lair and Kurt Russell facing down the big bad with a streak of kissed-on lipstick that she conceded that indeed, the camp was intentional.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Captain Lavender posted:

I liked the Homesman too. I just wish I didn't watch it right before bed. I'll check out The Road and get back.

Bourdain really is just your classic line cook who climbed up the ladder like any dope-smoking kid. It's an amazingly common story, I know a few people who are basically Bourdain/Zimmern while they were at the peak of their partying days, and give them another few years in a high-end kitchen and the desire to throw a food show idea at a network exec, and they could do Bourdain's job pretty much entirely.

I'm not saying he's a hack, it's just that he's the essence of what most non-snob food culture is about : loving both the creation and consumption of really good food, and living fast while you do it. It's true hipster foodism, and not being a "foodie".. It's the punk rock of cooking.

coyo7e has a new favorite as of 23:51 on May 23, 2015

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yeah he definitely wants to sell himself as punk-rock. But at this point he's more of an embarrassing uncle.

I watch the shows, but it seems like lately he's been phoning it in. I just saw one episode where all he said was like "this is good, I like this. Spicy! I'm gonna be making GBS threads like a mink!" It just seems pretty pointless when any clueless idiot would be saying the exact same things. The reason Bourdain (or anyone experienced) is hosting food shows is, in theory, to say things more intelligent and relevant than "yum."

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

That's what's cool about No Reservations, though. It's not a cooking show, it's a travel show, it just happens to deal with food a lot.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I think Parts Unknown is the best of his shows. It's less gimmicky, I guess? It's just him going to places most travel shows don't (The Congo, Iran, lovely small New England towns), meeting all sorts of people, seeing cool poo poo and eating food. He comes across as a really chill, smart, and insightful guy these days.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
know who thinks that middle aged and post middle aged punks who travel around the world are embarrassing? Children. It isn't like he is still sporting his leather jackets covered in anarchy symbols and hell,most of Bourdains tattoos showed up during the show, not 20 years ago.

The Offspring and Blink 182 are embarrassing old punks.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Gordon Ramsay got held at gunpoint, doused in gasoline, and almost set on fire by shark fin poachers when he was making a documentary exposing the practice. That alone is way more "punk" than Bourdain's entire career of being a gross junkie for a few years, getting famous from it, and then turning around and saying that addiction isn't real and it's just an excuse people make because hey I was able to quit cold turkey why can't everybody else.

e. Read his book Medium Raw if you want to watch a guy who got famous entirely through luck throw everybody else under the bus in the name of keeping up his image as The Bad Boy Of Food Network with zero self-awareness or irony.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

coyo7e posted:

know who thinks that middle aged and post middle aged punks who travel around the world are embarrassing? Children. It isn't like he is still sporting his leather jackets covered in anarchy symbols and hell,most of Bourdains tattoos showed up during the show, not 20 years ago.

He still has his obnoxious moments. See: going to Madagascar and trying to convince the locals that eco-tourism makes them all sellouts to colonialism.

But Parts Unkown is saved by really gorgeous cinematography and a really smart production team. Seasons 1 and 2 in particular are great (I've probably watched the Noma episode - s2e5 -somewhere around 4 or 5 times).

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

What are some super spooky things on Netflix/Prime?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

coyo7e posted:

Dexter Holland is awesome. Dude is finishing up his PhD in Molecular Biology and a couple of years ago published a paper on mRNA in HIV.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Len posted:

What are some super spooky things on Netflix/Prime?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Has anyone actually watched that yet?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The church is putting dental dams in the same category as condoms now?

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

syscall girl posted:

The church is putting dental dams in the same category as condoms now?

Pretty sure oral is sodomy so...yeah?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

13Pandora13 posted:

Pretty sure oral is sodomy so...yeah?

drat. Pretty sure I heard a Muslim Shaw or something say going down on your wife falls under foreplay.

Catholics are hardcore.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Rolo posted:

My dad did. He said it was worse than some of the things he's watched on Syfy

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Len posted:

Terrible terrible?

Or shitmazing terrible, like Sharknado?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

flosofl posted:

Terrible terrible?

Or shitmazing terrible, like Sharknado?

Terrible terrible.

He liked Sharknado.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Rolo posted:

Yup! It's pretty good actually. Self aware but not too self-aware. Quite funny. Way too few beaver puns.

Len posted:

No way in hell it's worse than SyFy movies. Maybe worse than "some things he saw on the channel" but not worse than any Syfy film I've ever watched.

coyo7e has a new favorite as of 21:59 on May 25, 2015

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ok I'm going to watch Zombeavers, but it better be kinda decent!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Big rear end Spider was fun

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

wormil posted:

Big rear end Spider was fun

Yes it was, and it was filmed to be super-fun and played off being campy.
So it's not, in effect, a bad movie.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Rolo posted:

Ok I'm going to watch Zombeavers, but it better be kinda decent!
Sit through the credits. The song is amazing - they rhyme "beaver" with "golden retriever" and there's even a reason.

Also, allusions to the sequel, post-credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Trailer Park Boys is available on Netflix.