Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Echo Chamber posted:

Into Darkness wasn't a bad Trek movie. It was a bad movie, period.

Everyone has their own example of a movie that embodies everything that's wrong with film in the past 10 years or so. A film that goes beyond being flawed but having all their numerous problems synergizing into a new tier of aggressive mediocrity. For some it's still Transformers. Others may pick The Amazing Spider-Man or The Man of Steel or The Lone Ranger.

For me it's easily STID.
Me too, brother :(:hf::(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Star Trek Into Darkness honestly rides a lot on Beneditch Cumberbatch's performance. He doesn't nail Khan, but he's fun as the bad guy. Honestly, it's ok as a "sci fic action film that uses the Star Trek mythos". The biggest issues with it are Peter Weller's awakard War on Terror analogy character, the GET IT?! GET IT?! reference/inversion to Star Trek 2. Oh, and the fact that the final showdown with the bad guy happens OFF SCREEN.

They've got a fine set-up for the last action scene - Kirk is seriously injured, and needs Khan's blood. Fair enough. Khan and Spock are having an exciting fight! How will Spock overpower this superman? The suspense!

And then the film cuts, and we're told that Spock won, Kirk got better, and Khan just got sealed back into his pod. Ok? Did they lose a few pages of the script?

JJ Abrams did pretty good with those two movies, honestly, but Into Darkness has issues. I'm looking forward to what he's going to do with Star Wars.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
http://biblehub.com/proverbs/26-11.htm

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqrMCm2dpgk

Still tells you next to nothing about the actual game. Really disappointing.

It's amusing, though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm going to put most of star wars 7's writing success behind lawrence kasdan, not abrams. He's a fine director but I put more faith in the empire strikes back writer.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

OldMemes posted:

JJ Abrams did pretty good with those two movies, honestly, but Into Darkness has issues. I'm looking forward to what he's going to do with Star Wars.
Well his Trek team isn't involved so I'm cautiously optimistic.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

OldMemes posted:

Star Trek Into Darkness honestly rides a lot on Beneditch Cumberbatch's performance. He doesn't nail Khan, but he's fun as the bad guy. Honestly, it's ok as a "sci fic action film that uses the Star Trek mythos". The biggest issues with it are Peter Weller's awakard War on Terror analogy character, the GET IT?! GET IT?! reference/inversion to Star Trek 2. Oh, and the fact that the final showdown with the bad guy happens OFF SCREEN.

They've got a fine set-up for the last action scene - Kirk is seriously injured, and needs Khan's blood. Fair enough. Khan and Spock are having an exciting fight! How will Spock overpower this superman? The suspense!

And then the film cuts, and we're told that Spock won, Kirk got better, and Khan just got sealed back into his pod. Ok? Did they lose a few pages of the script?

I will easily admit the ending was really weirdly rushed and them immediately going for a remake of Spock's death in Wrath only to immediately reverse it was incredibly lame but I REALLY liked Cumberbatch's performance as Khan. I would have much preferred if you took out Weller's entire villain turn and just stuck totally to Khan as a villain. As it is we get and awesome performance of Khan who gets undercut when he has to be an ally for way too long.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Echo Chamber posted:

Into Darkness wasn't a bad Trek movie. It was a bad movie, period.

Everyone has their own example of a movie that embodies everything that's wrong with film in the past 10 years or so. A film that goes beyond being flawed but having all their numerous problems synergizing into a new tier of aggressive mediocrity. For some it's still Transformers. Others may pick The Amazing Spider-Man or The Man of Steel or The Lone Ranger.

For me it's easily STID.

Yea I'll defend the first new Trek forever, I still think that's a super solid Trek story.

Darkness...nah man. Like, I don't hate it like a lot of people, and I'll often wind up basically devil's advocating it becasue most of the trekkies bitching about it are focusing on dumb stuff like "LENS FLARE OMG" instead of like, 'hey remember when Spock had a screaming emotional breakdown and totally was going to murder a dude and also remember how tribble blood was an actual plot point, like a major plot point in this story about Khan and the morality of Starfleet and poo poo?' but I have no love in my heart for that movie.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The probelms with the abrams trek movies are almost entirely with the writing department. The directing is probably the best part of the films; abrams gets great performances and shot composition that is hampered by terrible script problems.

Him directing star wars seems like a good fit especially if he has kasdan as a co writer.

Also, Jontron has a new StarCade out, this one for X-Wing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqrMCm2dpgk

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 25, 2015

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I think most of my posts from the last critic thread were related to how much STID sucks. I feel the only real summary of what's bad about the film is "almost everything". Because once you try to unpack it, defenders of the movie start acting like Henry Fonda in 12 Angry Men by saying "you're wrong about this... and that... and that. Therefore you're wrong about all your points and Star Trek Into Darkness is a good movie." Was it this thread or the CD thread or the TVIV thread where someone tried to argue the making Khan white somehow made the movie better?

And the awfulness isn't limited to just the writers. When it comes to the staging of some scenes, the technical directing wasn't bad, but a director like Abrams should have known from reading the script that it was awful. The buck (at least should have) stopped with him. Good directing could elevate an average script, but a really bad script makes it a bad apple from the start. There were many things wrong with Khan as a character, and it was exacerbated by the whitewashing. (And pre-release statements by the studio insisting that Cumberbatch wasn't playing Khan, which silenced all the "Is this whitewashing?" thinkpieces bloggers were putting out.) Combine that with forgettable set pieces, lazy references patchwork, a mosaic of plotholes, a shallow and extremely belated Bush/Cheney "commentary"... just everything sucks. I wasn't even laughing at the unintentionally funny moments at the end because the movie lost me well before that.

Star Trek '09 was a fun movie, but after STID, I have little desire to go back to it knowing in hindsight they had no real story plans following a reboot. I'll admit getting Justin Lin as the director and Pegg as a co-writer was probably the one gesture Paramount could have done to make me a little bit optimistic about another movie.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Into Darkness did a better job of the "Kirk learns how to be a captain" character arc than the first one. Honestly, when it just came out, I loved the poo poo out of Into Darkness, and in retrospect I'm not sure how much of that was just from Trek09 having soured on me in the meantime.

Trek09 gets a lot of love, for being a movie that was transparently not written by anybody who ever watched Star Trek; I'll argue that 09 bastardized Kirk worse than STID does Spock, or at least in a more boring way. Captain Kirk was always a player, but Trek09 made him one step shy of being Zapp Brannigan. Trek09 Kirk was the result of a game of pop cultural telephone, as if somebody had written James Bond, in an official Bond film, based purely on the decades of parody. But STID made that work, made it retroactively better, because it showed that Kirk as not being the real Kirk, STID was about how he becomes the real Kirk. And I just loved that so much, that it fixed the thing I hated most about Trek09, that the other weaknesses of STID didn't bug me as much. And really, Kirk's story arc is what STID is about, it is the core of the film; so doing that one thing really right has to count for something, even if every other thing is sort of a hot mess.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Literally the only piece of Trek I've ever seen other than half of a random TNG episode at a friend's house is the '09 film. Most of what I remember about it is wanting to punch Kirk's smug loving face through the entire movie.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Todd has a new episode up for Patrons. It's not a One-Hit Wonderland though, which is sorta disappointing given what the next OHW is likely gonna be.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
For me what really pissed me off about STID was just how needlessly dark it was. Can't we have fun space adventures anymore? I recall being done with Sherlock decided to crush Admiral Robocops head and it was just way, way too much. I know Trek can be dark but I don't need the badguy going The Mountain on somebody for chrissakes even if it's off screen.

Edit: Are we all forgetting too that STID is actually a genuinely brilliant film that shows us how racist movies are as a whole and faaaaaart

Tracula fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 25, 2015

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Tracula posted:

For me what really pissed me off about STID was just how needlessly dark it was. Can't we have fun space adventures anymore? I recall being done with Sherlock decided to crush Admiral Robocops head and it was just way, way too much. I know Trek can be dark but I don't need the badguy going The Mountain on somebody for chrissakes even if it's off screen.

Edit: Are we all forgetting too that STID is actually a genuinely brilliant film that shows us how racist movies are as a whole and faaaaaart

Yea say what you will about 09 but even involving straight up Vulcan genocide it still had a sense of adventure and fun to it. Darkness was just...well darkness all over. We had funtimes on the super bright colored alien world and then...welp...

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I just couldn't stand the constant screaming and the yelling. They do it way too much and it undermines the idea that they're so stressed out that functioning as a crew simply isn't working out right now.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I remember years ago talking with some guy about Star Trek 09 and at some point he compared J. J. Abrams and Joss Whedon. I don't remember what his argument was, other than it was weird.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Mraagvpeine posted:

I remember years ago talking with some guy about Star Trek 09 and at some point he compared J. J. Abrams and Joss Whedon. I don't remember what his argument was, other than it was weird.

Not that weird, they're both dudes who do primarily nerd stuff and have a background in TV.

Now that time I saw a goon compare Dan Brown and Naoki Urasawa, THAT was weird.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Annointed posted:

I just couldn't stand the constant screaming and the yelling. They do it way too much and it undermines the idea that they're so stressed out that functioning as a crew simply isn't working out right now.

Especially when one of your main character's defining characteristic is complete emotional control.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Brad posted a bit of an update to Facebook about whats been happening:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Holy poo poo Brad has had a rough 2015 so far. I think he's pissed off God by talking poo poo about all those religious movies.

So was that the thing he went into the hospital for last week? Or is this something new? I really hope he's okay. :ohdear:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
This is new. He just did it earlier today.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Jesus! I wonder what happened.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
You remember that crazy trailer for a Ugandan action movie that had all the shouting and a goofy CGI helicopter? Well, the whole movie is online for free now, which means I’ve just reviewed Who Killed Captain Alex?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Aww man, hope Brad gets better. That really sucks.

I do love the way he wrote that update though. Even when he life beats him up, he looks on the bright side (badass scar) and makes jokes about bad movies.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I was just wondering, what sites do you guys go to for game reviews? I figured this would be a good place to ask.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I mostly just check what people say on twitter but I have pretty niche taste when it comes to games. :shrug:

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

BigRed0427 posted:

I was just wondering, what sites do you guys go to for game reviews? I figured this would be a good place to ask.

I wait several years until a good game bubbles through the public consciousness by osmosis. I then buy it from a used bargain bin for <$10.

It's a system. It works for me.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea I'll defend the first new Trek forever, I still think that's a super solid Trek story.

Darkness...nah man. Like, I don't hate it like a lot of people, and I'll often wind up basically devil's advocating it becasue most of the trekkies bitching about it are focusing on dumb stuff like "LENS FLARE OMG" instead of like, 'hey remember when Spock had a screaming emotional breakdown and totally was going to murder a dude and also remember how tribble blood was an actual plot point, like a major plot point in this story about Khan and the morality of Starfleet and poo poo?' but I have no love in my heart for that movie.
I thought STID was decent at times, but it's completely unnecessary for Cumberbatch's character to need to be Khan. It could have been any one of the other Augments instead. That and the 3rd act "let's just remake WoK but swap roles" felt super shoved in and embarrassing. It doesn't work that well either, since it's really hard to do a film with Khan as the main villain, when this version of Kirk and Khan have never previously met. The whole premise for WoK is Khan getting revenge on Kirk for stranding him on a planet which turns into a desert after a supernova or whatever, which kills his wife. None of that happens here.

The problem is that Abrams/the studio/the writing team decided that they needed to have a recognizable villain, and since TOS' biggest one is Khan, they went with that. Even though they used an original one for ST09. I wish they had explored more the idea of how the changes to the timeline/destruction of Vulcan has altered the history we previously knew. We see that a bit with a rogue Admiral building a supership, which is at least a start, but most of the message gets lost between action scenes. I think my main problem with the new films is that (with some exception in the 1st film) they've lost the identity of what Star Trek actually is. At it's core ST is supposed to be an optimistic view of the future, showing how humanity puts aside its differences to move out into the galaxy and explore space. Instead, STID literally tells you in its title that it's going to be dark and brooding.

It's really too bad, because that prologue in STID where they are actually doing something you would expect in TOS is very very good. Too bad it's all downhill from there.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

echopapa posted:

You remember that crazy trailer for a Ugandan action movie that had all the shouting and a goofy CGI helicopter? Well, the whole movie is online for free now, which means I’ve just reviewed Who Killed Captain Alex?

Fuckin nice. Def watching that ASAP.

BigRed0427 posted:

I don't anymore. I go by friend word of mouth, and if it's on Steam, the general consensus of the user reviews. I hate to invoke the spectre of Gamergate, but it makes it extra sad how upset these people (claim to) get about "bias" in games journalism when game reviews are less essential now than they've ever been. It's like, you're mad about game review scores? What the gently caress does it matter? 90% of the people who buy games don't look at review scores, so it's not like being critically panned will hurt a game's sales numbers. Being bad will hurt a game's sales, obviously, but GTAV didn't lose a single sale because Polygon docked it a point for being misogynist as gently caress.

Now what the world needs more of is content curation. With so much of the bulk of the quality games being made being indie games with little promotion, it would be cool to have a resource for "hey, these are cool games". Steam Curation is a step in the right direction, but I never see anything but the common-knowledge games on most curator lists.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BigRed0427 posted:

Hear a name you haven't heard before? Pop it in YouTube (preferably without comments)

but yeah wait until the game drops in price unless it starts off cheap or it's got multiplayer you absolutely need.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I've taken to waiting till a let's play is done (And well, everyone wants to be day 1 LPer so not much waiting needed) and seeing a few videos of it and make a judgement off that. Good thing I never cared about preorder bonuses.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Cubey posted:

Todd has a new episode up for Patrons. It's not a One-Hit Wonderland though, which is sorta disappointing given what the next OHW is likely gonna be.

It's up on Blip as well now too.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I kinda hope that Todd talks more about their post MMM-Bop career as opposed to the song itself. I mean, the song is a product of the late 90's much like songs like Steal my Sunshine while they developed into a pretty respectable indie act.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
New episode, new Dirk bogarde film! I talk about the consequences of letting an Evil Gay Servant into your house, and in some senses, answer the question "Why don't they just fire him?"
In this case, it's essentially the same question as "Why doesn't she just leave him?"

echopapa posted:

That was really interesting to hear about the background of Uganda's film culture. I've heard a little about Ghana's VHS cinema, in relation to its insanely lurid hand-painted posters.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I really like Todd's videos but the dude's gotta get better at audio balancing.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

watho posted:

I really like Todd's videos but the dude's gotta get better at audio balancing.

At least he doesn't forget to put a black matte behind 4:3 music videos any more, or at least hasn't in a while.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
One time he uploaded a video that still contained multiple takes of the same line. Dude's just kind of a sloppy editor. I wonder if it's a problem with his editing software.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

dijon du jour posted:

One time he uploaded a video that still contained multiple takes of the same line. Dude's just kind of a sloppy editor. I wonder if it's a problem with his editing software.

If he's using AVIsynth then yeah, I can see that happening. Otherwise, no, I think he is just a sloppy editor. He strikes me as the kind of dude that hates repeating himself, and also hates watching himself repeatedly, so he'll stitch together his best takes with the appropriate music inserted where needed but only scrub the video to make sure the stitches work, rather than watch the whole video because he's already said and seen himself say everything in it a dozen times. I also think he assumes audio ducking is enough and doesn't manually check his audio layers.

Course this is all just assumptions based on the quality of his videos. Considering it's his job rather than his hobby now I would've expected him to really put the work in to fixing his most common mistakes, but I suppose he considers pre-production research and preparation more important than post-production editing. I'm not even sure if he knows how to green-screen yet, which is common practice among his peers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Why would he need to know how to green-screen?

• Locked thread