Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Does Bram actually sell you stuff at half price if you don't charge him after the Griffon shenanigans? Also, is money hard to come by in this game all the way through? Just wondering if I will most of the time end up spending all my money on food and never have anything else except for what I find?

money soon starts accumulating really fast, i recommend running down the west coast of velen with all the shipwrecks and hitting all the camps. diving for treasure is always low difficulty because drowners die in one xbow shot. you will end up killing about 100 pirates and cannibals and looting about the same amount of crates and sacks and a TON of actual good gear from chests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Psiharis posted:

He was almost like encountering another human being choosing dialog. I'm not used to video game characters getting mad at me for ... things that I would be really mad about too. What, I almost maybe got you your money, what are you complaining about? Oh right, lying bad or something.

he gets mad at your for spurning Triss it is kind of funnny

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So is any of the starting gear ging to get upgrades later on or can I ditch that stuff and just go for the cat/griffin/bear sets?

Also, gently caress the crones. I so hope I'm gonna get the opportunity to come back for them later. If there's anything in Velen that needs killing, it's those three.

Vodos posted:

98 points in one row, yay for catapults! :toot:

Had a game against a merchant with a Nilfgaard deck in which he went up to ~130 in the melee row due to a commander's horn and a fuckload of Impera Guards and Young Emmissaries.

Then I put in Biting Frost after he ran out of cards. :haw:

CJ posted:

Not in the state it is in the game. It's designed so that you progress from a poo poo tier deck which slowly improves as you progress through the game and beat players until you end up with a god tier deck that can crush anything. The legendaries are immune to special effects such as weather and destruction, so you end up with cards like Geralt and Ciri who have 15 power and are immune from all removal and status effects. Immune to specials would be a good mechanic to have on some cards but you'd have to make them a lot lower power for them to be balanced. Also there's only half a dozen card effects and a couple special effects so the amount of depth and strategy would probably be pretty limited. The mind games aspect is pretty interesting but it would need a pretyt big rework and fleshing out for it to be interesting as a multiplayer game for more than a couple of days.

The hero cards being immune to special effects is a double-edged blade, though. They also don't profit from any positive special effects, so you can't boost them with a commander's horn or bring them back from the discard pile via a medic. Having Yen and two Dun Banner Medics in my Northern Realms deck at times makes for some hilarious ressurrection chains. Even better, you can swap out the medics with a decoy card, then bring them in again and revive another card.

Dandywalken posted:

Succubi are amazing in this. They just kinda stand around and slut it up, but Geralt is by code required to slay 'em. They almost always argue they arent doing anything wrong or threatening, and alot of the time its arguable that they're correct :(

#Goatslutwalk

He isn't required to slay them, though. The code actually forbids killing self-aware monsters unless they attack first or start killing humans for a reason other than self-defense.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Does Bram actually sell you stuff at half price if you don't charge him after the Griffon shenanigans? Also, is money hard to come by in this game all the way through? Just wondering if I will most of the time end up spending all my money on food and never have anything else except for what I find?

Sell crafting materials sometimes. You make rear end butts of money by just selling loot. If you're still in White Orchard it's hard to find money because everyone in White Orchard is poor as gently caress.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Are there any decoctions worth the huge toxicity hit? Other than a couple with highly specific uses, I can't imagine trading the ability to use swallow/thunderbolt for a decoction.

Related potion question: What does Blizzard do? It doesn't have any discernable effect for me, I vaguely remember it slowing down time in one of the earlier games but nothing seems to happen now.

And is there some upside to strong attack I've managed to miss? I'll use it for hitting stunned/burning/etc. enemies for the bigger initial damage, but otherwise fast attack seems to have the same or better damage per second and doesn't leave you open to attack as much. I get the impression that strong attack is supposed to be more useful on heavily armored enemies, but if it's got some sort of intrinsic armor penetration it's not very large.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Magni posted:

So is any of the starting gear ging to get upgrades later on or can I ditch that stuff and just go for the cat/griffin/bear sets?

Also, gently caress the crones. I so hope I'm gonna get the opportunity to come back for them later. If there's anything in Velen that needs killing, it's those three.

Had a game against a merchant with a Nilfgaard deck in which he went up to ~130 in the melee row due to a commander's horn and a fuckload of Impera Guards and Young Emmissaries.

Then I put in Biting Frost after he ran out of cards. :haw:

The hero cards being immune to special effects is a double-edged blade, though. They also don't profit from any positive special effects, so you can't boost them with a commander's horn or bring them back from the discard pile via a medic. Having Yen and two Dun Banner Medics in my Northern Realms deck at times makes for some hilarious ressurrection chains. Even better, you can swap out the medics with a decoy card, then bring them in again and revive another card.

He isn't required to slay them, though. The code actually forbids killing self-aware monsters unless they attack first or start killing humans for a reason other than self-defense.

That is always great when you ruin people with enviorment effects, especially against monster/scoiatel spammers

also finally I have a really strong nilfgard deck that just wrecks people in the spam of 5-6 games i managed to get 5 hero's and a few spies still need the last nilfgard spy the lvl 9 guy if anyone knows where that is, also where is Thaler did I have to get him in white orchard because welp...

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Jack2142 posted:

That is always great when you ruin people with enviorment effects, especially against monster/scoiatel spammers

also finally I have a really strong nilfgard deck that just wrecks people in the spam of 5-6 games i managed to get 5 hero's and a few spies still need the last nilfgard spy the lvl 9 guy if anyone knows where that is, also where is Thaler did I have to get him in white orchard because welp...

I found Thaler on an Innkeeper vendor in Skellige. I think it was on the eastern island but I'm not sure.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Psiharis posted:

I was 100% ready to forgive li'l Ciri for sneaking out on her lessons until, in the second I spent reading the conversation prompts, I saw her roll her got-dang eyes at me. At that moment I knew I was playing something truly special.

Also Bow Simulator 2015 doesn't get enough love. Geralt's voice actor has improved a little, but so much more of it is from the emotive character animations. He's such a cranky old cuss, it's the best.

My favorite bit of that so far is when you meet the elven smith in Novigrad and he shows you his old collection. Geralt gets so excited about getting one of those awesome swords but tries really hard to hide it.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

Magni posted:

Having Yen and two Dun Banner Medics in my Northern Realms deck at times makes for some hilarious ressurrection chains. Even better, you can swap out the medics with a decoy card, then bring them in again and revive another card.

I actually like using decoys to steal enemy spys then I re use the spys to gain two cards of my own

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
That was funny. Got a quest that poked fun of college students quoting Nietzsche without knowing what they were talking about.

Geralt: Sheesh... students. :rolleyes:

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Was Ciri part of the first game? Wasn't finding Yennifer the whole point of the first two games, wasnt it a bit anti climatic to have her just show up? I dont remember the emperor at all in either game but he seems to know me and at what point did Geralt get all his memories back?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Was Ciri part of the first game? Wasn't finding Yennifer the whole point of the first two games, wasnt it a bit anti climatic to have her just show up?

Neither of the first two games had anything to do with finding Yennefer

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

I love forest of rain.Foevar...
Geralt of Rivia, trading card collector and sword nerd. "What is that, forty inches?" "Forty and a half, actually." Sure Geralt, if you measure from the underside...

I want to yell at him every time he spends all his fake money on fake collectible cards and then realize, it is me. I am the one doing this.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Spoiler for the end of 2 Isnt that what letting the dragon live was all about?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Psiharis posted:

I was 100% ready to forgive li'l Ciri for sneaking out on her lessons until, in the second I spent reading the conversation prompts, I saw her roll her got-dang eyes at me. At that moment I knew I was playing something truly special.

Also Bow Simulator 2015 doesn't get enough love. Geralt's voice actor has improved a little, but so much more of it is from the emotive character animations. He's such a cranky old cuss, it's the best.

His english VA is honestly still pretty bad. I swapped to polish voices and it's like night and day - the polish Geralt is a real pro and can actually emote and shows humor, annoyance, exasperation, disgust much better than mr. monotone. You'd never actually suspect they're the same character, because polish geralt is so much cheekier instead of gruff mcgruff. The original language voice actor really is the best way to go.

Orv
May 4, 2011

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Was Ciri part of the first game? Wasn't finding Yennifer the whole point of the first two games, wasnt it a bit anti climatic to have her just show up? I dont remember the emperor at all in either game but he seems to know me and at what point did Geralt get all his memories back?

Ciri and Yennefer got minor mentions in 1 and 2, Geralt knows Emhyr from the books, you regained your full memory at the end of 2 and have been looking for Yennefer since then.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Orv posted:

Ciri and Yennefer got minor mentions in 1 and 2, Geralt knows Emhyr from the books, you regained your full memory at the end of 2 and have been looking for Yennefer since then.

Haha maybe I will regain my full memory

Another question, wasnt the wild hunt after Geralt in the first one? I would use the wiki but its full of loving spoilers

Orv
May 4, 2011
Haha, goddamnit. :cripes:

Yeah the Wild Hunt was a minor player in the first game. A couple quests involved them and the King served as an exposition device near the end.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wolpertinger posted:

the polish Geralt is a real pro and can actually emote and shows humor, annoyance, exasperation, disgust

wow i guess the witcher stuff actually didn't work on him

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Is there a way to get the masquerade ball gwent cards later? Or do I just have bash my head against this wall for not touching Gwent yet? Game just crashed on the third match and if it didn't save I'm pretty much ready to call it on Gwent for this playthrough.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

VoLaTiLe posted:

I actually like using decoys to steal enemy spys then I re use the spys to gain two cards of my own

Yeah, that's the other thing I use decoys for. Well, that and when I just want to play for time and get the other guy to lay down more cards.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
I played mostly Gwent today but now I'm depressed because Geralt is OP.

The AI is useless against me because I can see their big move the first game, which is usually counterable with 1-2 cards and so I just change my deck a little.

Hope they do something to add more to this mode someday. It's a cool start.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I've explored about half of Velen, am level 12, and have had terrible luck with Gwent. I lost three matches to the starter guy in White Orchard so I said "well I guess I will have to buy some cards before I can compete" and none of the merchants I find have any more than 2 or 3 cards for sale, if they have any at all. Pretty much everyone I play clowns my rear end with spies, Scoiatel spam, or just tons of good cards. I understand how to play and can win a few games here and there by being wise/getting lucky with weather affects or getting all three of my Blue Stripes commandos or something, but I cant beat these dudes that have 10 strength cards and whatnot. Is there somewhere I can go to get better cards?

Also, completely unrelated: has anyone else noticed that Geralt is not "in combat" and able to block until he is really drat close to someone or takes a swing? I've gotten my rear end kicked a couple times now by running into bandits who have an archer or three and I cant block them (I have the skill to deflect arrows) because I am not "in combat" yet and cant block, I just stand there like an idiot eating arrow after arrow if I do not charge into melee immediately.

Otherwise holy poo poo this game is amazing and I cant stop playing it.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Magni posted:

Obligatory reminder: the code is 100% bullshit that Geralt trots out when he does/doesn't want to take a contract. There is no real code.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wolpertinger posted:

His english VA is honestly still pretty bad. I swapped to polish voices and it's like night and day - the polish Geralt is a real pro and can actually emote and shows humor, annoyance, exasperation, disgust much better than mr. monotone. You'd never actually suspect they're the same character, because polish geralt is so much cheekier instead of gruff mcgruff. The original language voice actor really is the best way to go.

How did you do this?

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

I love forest of rain.Foevar...
There is definitely some historical basis for the code, all the ritualized language about being "on the path" and the reactions to schools and individual witchers who have strayed. But yes they've all been playing it fast and loose for a long time and mostly squabble over whose break with tradition is worse.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Arglebargle III posted:

How did you do this?

You can change the language the voices are in, although I don't think you can change just Geralt without PC modding.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Sweet found some better gloves! Let's put em on!
...oh. They look like big metal oven mitts. Geralt you look ridiculous right now :geno:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

OAquinas posted:

Obligatory reminder: the code is 100% bullshit that Geralt trots out when he does/doesn't want to take a contract. There is no real code.

it's like the pirate code

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

bewilderment posted:

You can change the language the voices are in, although I don't think you can change just Geralt without PC modding.

I can't find this option in the Language or Audio settings. I'm on PC on the Steam version.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I just got to Vizima for the first time. So far combat has been most effective by slapping on Quen protection before 'combat mode' starts, then spamming Axii and doing my best to fight things one at a time.

Is this tactic going to screw me over? Pretty much all my points so far are in Axii, Strong Attack and one in Quen. Also I took that generic talent that gives health regeneration in the sunlight at level 2, since I'm playing on the second-hardest difficulty and it seemed useful back when I wasn't covered in food.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

I may be playing this wrong. Sometimes I get upgrades to my armor, but refuse to wear them because they look ridiculous on Geralt.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Weissritter posted:

I may be playing this wrong. Sometimes I get upgrades to my armor, but refuse to wear them because they look ridiculous on Geralt.

It's an RPG, fashion must always be your primary decision matrix.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Sweet found some better gloves! Let's put em on!
...oh. They look like big metal oven mitts. Geralt you look ridiculous right now :geno:

This, but with the light armor gambesons that make Geralt look pudgy.

It's a huge shame that the raddest armor is your starting armor that blows.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Wolpertinger posted:

Both VA's sound like they're gargling gravel and one is unlikely to pick up on those emotional nuances when they don't understand a lick of the language. There's no clear winner.

Ra-amun
Feb 25, 2011
Why does the feline crossbow require level 29 when everything else in the set is ~15?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

bewilderment posted:

I just got to Vizima for the first time. So far combat has been most effective by slapping on Quen protection before 'combat mode' starts, then spamming Axii and doing my best to fight things one at a time.

Is this tactic going to screw me over? Pretty much all my points so far are in Axii, Strong Attack and one in Quen. Also I took that generic talent that gives health regeneration in the sunlight at level 2, since I'm playing on the second-hardest difficulty and it seemed useful back when I wasn't covered in food.

You sound like you'll be well prepared to fight the larger enemies. But remember two things. 1. All signs are important depending on the enemy. 2. The game seems to throw more and more wolves/Drowners at you at a time. Being able to blast them and burn them is awesome for crowd control.

For reference I just had an intense fight with 20 nekkers at once outside the devil's pit.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Alternately, invest points in dodge and fast attack skills and leap about like a mongoose on cocaine.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~

RatHat posted:

There's a book that elaborates a bit on the tree ghost. It was the witches' "mother" and they killed it because it went crazy and was killing everyone. Then they imprisoned its spirit under the tree. Both the witches and the tree ghost are evil but siding with the tree ghost results in a lot more death.

I don't know if that book can be considered reliable. I definitely wouldn't take the testimony of the Ladies at face value either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Nasgate posted:

This, but with the light armor gambesons that make Geralt look pudgy.

It's a huge shame that the raddest armor is your starting armor that blows.

Yeah, I also found this sweet chest armor where it had like a metal chest and two spiraly things where the arms are, and then the rest of it was this long flowing red robe thing and it looked awesome. But it wasn't anywhere close to as good as the chest I had. I wish cosmetic slots were a thing in this game (and all games)