Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

I love forest of rain.Foevar...
One of my only ragey complaints with this game is that shopkeepers sometimes spend a loooong time zoning in, sometimes don't at all unless I meditate, and their marker is gone from the map until I work whatever voodoo it takes to get them to phase back into reality. This fueled lots of insomniac fury while trying to get my Gwent on.

Wild hunt, stop kidnapping all my barbers! :comeback:

Actually if you miss the Baron's gwent match, later the quest updates to tell you to search his quarters for the card and a clue for the next opponents. Not sure when this triggers, I had just gone back and forth from Skellige a few times when I noticed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
So wasnt the entire point of the first two games to save Yennifer, and she just shows up randomly in the epilogue? Anticlitmatic, and I dont remember Ciri at all from my playthroughs, should I?

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

RatHat posted:

You're hosed.

That's stupid, so I don't get rewarded for doing the right thing, but i would've if I hosed up?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Just finished the Baron quest line. :smith:

There is one weird thing though they just kind of leave hanging (heh) and that's still the full deal with the tree horse ghost. When you come back to that village everyone is dead except the guy who cut off his ear, and he says everyone killed each other when the black horse appeared. But when you go to save Anna, you have to pick out which doll is hers to save her. One of the dolls has that dude's ear on top. My thought right away was that the horse ghost just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time there before heading off to save the orphans, and the witches took control of that one guy and he killed everyone in the village himself. There doesn't seem to be a followup quest now for any of that after the Baron hangs himself. Is it intentionally left ambiguous and you have to try to connect the dots yourself, or is there a followup quest to see what ultimately happens to the horse ghost/orphans? If yes, don't spoil it, just tell me if there is and where to get it (assuming it isn't something that comes up way later)

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

HORMELCHILI posted:

That's stupid, so I don't get rewarded for doing the right thing, but i would've if I hosed up?

I went with your exact same path and got the card, and the note, and completed the velen gwent quest. Unless you have encountered some kind of bug, you are fine. Maybe you didn't notice the card being looted in his office and the quest hasn't updated because you haven't read his note yet? Loot everything in his office and read every note in the quest tab of your inventory.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Macaluso posted:

There is one weird thing though they just kind of leave hanging (heh) and that's still the full deal with the tree horse ghost. When you come back to that village everyone is dead except the guy who cut off his ear, and he says everyone killed each other when the black horse appeared. But when you go to save Anna, you have to pick out which doll is hers to save her. One of the dolls has that dude's ear on top. My thought right away was that the horse ghost just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time there before heading off to save the orphans, and the witches took control of that one guy and he killed everyone in the village himself. There doesn't seem to be a followup quest now for any of that after the Baron hangs himself. Is it intentionally left ambiguous and you have to try to connect the dots yourself, or is there a followup quest to see what ultimately happens to the horse ghost/orphans? If yes, don't spoil it, just tell me if there is and where to get it (assuming it isn't something that comes up way later)

I'm pretty sure the tree ghost destroyed the village because they were working for the crones, and had tried to "kill" it earlier.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Macaluso posted:

There's a book that elaborates a bit on the tree ghost. It was the witches' "mother" and they killed it because it went crazy and was killing everyone. Then they imprisoned its spirit under the tree. Both the witches and the tree ghost are evil but siding with the tree ghost results in a lot more death.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Well then :geno:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

RatHat posted:

There's a book that elaborates a bit on the tree ghost. It was the witches' "mother" and they killed it because it went crazy and was killing everyone. Then they imprisoned its spirit under the tree. Both the witches and the tree ghost are evil but siding with the tree ghost results in a lot more death.

I looked at it like this. Which option can save a bunch of innocent children. gently caress those crones.

Also, just met a godling in Novingrad and she said the cutest thing.
Godling: "You're really nice you know."
Geralt: "Hmmm, don't hear that often...thank you."

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
Feline school for lyfe. Meooooow.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I see that the fine tradition of Geralt giving up free hits because he starts fights after cutscenes with his sword still sheathed continues.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
This game is loving beautiful, and beautifully made. I don't understand why people were fellating Dragon Age 2 when Witcher 2 had an infinitely better array of choices and story at the time.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

Geralt in his catshow gear is only missing a pack of cigarettes tucked into the sleeve. With that plus the shaved ponytail look, Greaser of Rivia is ready for any broadway rumble.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I can't tell whose beard has grown longer in the amount of time i've played this game. Geralts, or mine.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Arglebargle III posted:

How come there's no Wolf armor?

I wonder the same thing :( Granted, the other poo poo is cool as gently caress but it's a shame it isnt included. Maybe a DLC in the future?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
As I get closer to beating this I'm wondering what to play next and nothing looks even close to being as good. :(

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Spikeguy posted:

I looked at it like this. Which option can save a bunch of innocent children. gently caress those crones.

Also, just met a godling in Novingrad and she said the cutest thing.
Godling: "You're really nice you know."
Geralt: "Hmmm, don't hear that often...thank you."

For the Godling/Haunted House quest What happens if tell her to leave the city? Helping her keep the house is a decent end but when you go back the little cutscene makes it seem like sending her away might have been better?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Psiharis posted:

Geralt in his catshow gear is only missing a pack of cigarettes tucked into the sleeve. With that plus the shaved ponytail look, Greaser of Rivia is ready for any broadway rumble.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Verranicus posted:

As I get closer to beating this I'm wondering what to play next and nothing looks even close to being as good. :(

After this game, you could start a REAL adventure...

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Dandywalken posted:

I wonder the same thing :( Granted, the other poo poo is cool as gently caress but it's a shame it isnt included. Maybe a DLC in the future?

Isn't the Kaer Morhen armor Wolf Armor?

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

Never tried to link a onedrive video before but here goes nothin' (light to no spoilers, I think it's the first time you even get a good view of the other character's face) : https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=2a5f62c02aca4720&id=2A5F62C02ACA4720%2117773&ithint=video,mp4&authkey=!ACpSJX0jcV5H8tQ

Greaser of Rivia does not faff about.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Calaveron posted:

Isn't the Kaer Morhen armor Wolf Armor?

Technically I guess, but it just leads to the Warrior's Leather Jacket which in turn is a dead end low-tier armor piece. It'd be sweet if it was its own tree, ala the Griffin etc trees. Normal, Enhanced, Superior, Masterwork qualities and all.

Nien
Apr 29, 2013

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Had a random bandit try to rob me in Novigrad and first he yelled "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries"

:lol:

Then I had a quest with the line "Zed's dead"

During a Triss quest there's a drunk guy in the fountain shouting "Arrrrrr, I am a KRAKEN," which is a Juno reference I believe.

The guy you fight in the Novigrad boxing matches is called Gorgeous George.

This game is great.

There's are reference to the killer rabbit as well. To the west near the two griffin (?) quest.

E: its to to the east and the quest is 'phantom of the trade routes'.

Also the guard quote 'pam o ram. pam pam o ram' is Otto isn't it?

Nien fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 25, 2015

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Relentlessboredomm posted:

For the Godling/Haunted House quest What happens if tell her to leave the city? Helping her keep the house is a decent end but when you go back the little cutscene makes it seem like sending her away might have been better?

Wait what. In my game the dream-mancer lady moved in with the Godling, and they're both getting along great. It seemed like one of the few 100% good quest endings in the game. Did you tell the rich dude there was a Godling there or something?

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK
I really wish I had gone with the Triss romance, she really just seems more affectionate; Yen is just an rear end in a top hat.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
There's this bit near the end of the quest where you go to those caves with Keira where I forget the context, but Geralt asks Keira something, she sort of refuses, then he gives her the most incredible puppy-dog eyes ever and she relents.
Again, I hope the team who worked on character direction and facial expressions get tons of praise, and the team who thought of equipment degradation get fish hooks shoved up their anus.

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 25, 2015

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Broken Cog posted:

Wait what. In my game the dream-mancer lady moved in with the Godling, and they're both getting along great. It seemed like one of the few 100% good quest endings in the game. Did you tell the rich dude there was a Godling there or something?

No, I got that too and I also thought "cool an actual good ending" and then there's a little painted image cutscene and Geralt talks about how sometime you have to leave the place with walls to find your real home and it made me wonder if there's a better way. That cutscene hosed with my head.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 25, 2015

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
Man, on the highest difficulty I just find myself spamming quick attack, sidestep, and quen all day. Is that kinda how it goes at that difficulty? Battles are feeling really samey right now.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

Calaveron posted:

I hope the team who worked on character direction and facial emotions get tons of praise,

I was 100% ready to forgive li'l Ciri for sneaking out on her lessons until, in the second I spent reading the conversation prompts, I saw her roll her got-dang eyes at me. At that moment I knew I was playing something truly special.

Also Bow Simulator 2015 doesn't get enough love. Geralt's voice actor has improved a little, but so much more of it is from the emotive character animations. He's such a cranky old cuss, it's the best.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK
I thought the Kiera character was kind of hilarious, she just really, really liked living a luxurious life. fittingly she isn't willing to fight for it
Why are there named courtesans in Novigrad?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Novigrad Underworld is great...

I like how Djikstra is in the game as a crime boss and references Geralt breaking his leg on Thanedd

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Jack2142 posted:

Novigrad Underworld is great...

I like how Djikstra is in the game as a crime boss and references Geralt breaking his leg on Thanedd

Agreed, that dude loving owns. Really dug his voice acting and dialogue. There was a weird "I dont like you, but you're really loving good at what you do!" vibe between him and Geralt.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

He was almost like encountering another human being choosing dialog. I'm not used to video game characters getting mad at me for ... things that I would be really mad about too. What, I almost maybe got you your money, what are you complaining about? Oh right, lying bad or something.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

Nasgate posted:

I can't tell whose beard has grown longer in the amount of time i've played this game. Geralts, or mine.

The game has totally hosed up my ability to do other stuff in my free time, I'd just much rather sit around in my boxers playing around as Geralt.

I have to say I loving love using grapeshots on human foes, managed to bag the achievement for killing 5 foes at once within 10 secs by rolling past a group of swordmen and throwing one at a bunched up group. BOOM arms, heads and guts all over the town.

Returned later and the place was full of Rotfiends

We need a Geralt emote

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just posting this so those that (Keira spoilers)killed Keira know what they've done.
(Fairly late-game spoilers, even if it's just a story-screen) http://i.imgur.com/nximL3m.jpg

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Does Bram actually sell you stuff at half price if you don't charge him after the Griffon shenanigans? Also, is money hard to come by in this game all the way through? Just wondering if I will most of the time end up spending all my money on food and never have anything else except for what I find?

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Does Bram actually sell you stuff at half price if you don't charge him after the Griffon shenanigans? Also, is money hard to come by in this game all the way through? Just wondering if I will most of the time end up spending all my money on food and never have anything else except for what I find?

I got 7k, nothing to spend it on, but I can't help but loot all those white swords.

SHUBNIGGURATHS CLIT
Jan 6, 2005

you're

Calaveron posted:

There's this bit near the end of the quest where you go to those caves with Keira where I forget the context, but Geralt asks Keira something, she sort of refuses, then he gives her the most incredible puppy-dog eyes ever and she relents.

I just did this quest and that moment made me laugh out loud this game is very good and cool.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

Madcosby posted:

I thought that was just to get bonuses for mutagens? I dont have any of those spaces unlocked except for the first default 3

Do the abilities you put points in unlock if I spent the points?

I know for the flamethrower igni, i didnt ahve to do anything except pay attention to how I push RT to cast it differently. I didn't equip the spell anywhere; I dont think

Default three? The spaces unlock as you gain levels; hovering the pointer over them tells you which levels. The mutagen bonus comes from the four mutagen slots, the other twelve slots are for abilities, and any learned abilities not in those spots will not have an active effect.

The thing with some signs not needing to have their ability equipped to use their alternate forms is a bug that was brought up earlier.

MadJackMcJack posted:

Drowners are pretty easy once you learn to dodge and abuse Igni. Takes a while though on keyboard, since dodge is on ALT and it's a pain to use compared to SPACE.

Double-tapping a direction also short-dodges. No need to use the hotkey.

Broken Cog posted:

Just posting this so those that (Keira spoilers)killed Keira know what they've done.
(Fairly late-game spoilers, even if it's just a story-screen) http://i.imgur.com/nximL3m.jpg

Speaking of that, I've seen several people says something about "dangerous research"... yet the research was on finding a cure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

I don't know if it's half price, but it is discounted