Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lead By Example
Jul 17, 2009

I buy and resell Pokemon cards for a living. If you're ever looking to sell your childhood, please reach out!
Fallen Rib
Anyone in this thread going to Nationals this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ARC-V 57:

Yeager was apparently a president or something in the Synchro Dimension as he shows up on one of the dollar bills in Dennis' hat.

I like when Dennis kind of acted like a villain just to play around a bit...it seems like he let a bit of his true self shine through...and if that's true, and he almost took Gongenzaka down...he might be pretty strong.

Those tuna sandwiches looked pretty drat good for probably not having any mayo :v:

Also "Ladies and Gentlemen" from Gongenzaka is priceless.

Almost forgot Yugo trying to summon Clear-Wing without the duel disk was hilarious. However, it looks like Dennis is able to manifest cards easily without his duel disk on...wonder why Yugo can't...

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 25, 2015

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Zuzu is the stupidest loving name because it's a pun almost no kid will get, and everyone old enough to get it is probably just going to be mad you gave one of the most well-liked characters in the show a dumb rename for no good reason.

Also Gon is Elvis now because his hair kinda looks like the curl, and he has a white outfit? Just ignore the martial arts belt and the clogs.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't even get the loving Zuzu joke.

On the actual card game side of things, I tried out Gem-Knights and boy are they the loving bomb

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Apparently Zuzu is Susan in another language, or something like that.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ThermoPhysical posted:

ARC-V 57:

I like when Dennis kind of acted like a villain just to play around a bit...it seems like he let a bit of his true self shine through...and if that's true, and he almost took Gongenzaka down...he might be pretty strong.

Almost forgot Yugo trying to summon Clear-Wing without the duel disk was hilarious. However, it looks like Dennis is able to manifest cards easily without his duel disk on...wonder why Yugo can't...

I dont like that they're Already using the evil Dennis pendulum summoning animation. The PENDULUM on the duel disk even has a purple flame around it and he gets a hint of the crazy eyes.

And Dennis might be a latent psychic.
It's the synchro dimension anything can happen.

More likely that he's just a good magician who's always prepared.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Beef Waifu posted:

I don't even get the loving Zuzu joke.

On the actual card game side of things, I tried out Gem-Knights and boy are they the loving bomb

You're drat right they are.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

I really hope that they localize Neo Sawatari as "The Duelist formerly known as Silvio". Then in episode 31 he can call himself "The Duelist formerly known as the Duelist formerly known as Silvio". :v:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I am actually quite happy with the name Silvio, and I can't decide if I want them to give him and his father an Italian accent.

Justin_Brett posted:

Also Gon is Elvis now because his hair kinda looks like the curl, and he has a white outfit? Just ignore the martial arts belt and the clogs.

I thought he was supposed to be a cowboy?
Elvis wasn't a cowboy, was he? :tinfoil:

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Elvis was a karate master.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Justin_Brett posted:

Zuzu is the stupidest loving name because it's a pun almost no kid will get, and everyone old enough to get it is probably just going to be mad you gave one of the most well-liked characters in the show a dumb rename for no good reason.

I thought they were trying to avoid marking her as a main protagonist by way of the "Yu" in her name.

edit: wait a second, is that Ted Lewis as Yuya?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 25, 2015

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

This week's OCG decklists are up.

http://ygorganization.com/ocg-05252015-ocg-japan-decklists/

Nothing really mindblowing or interesting this week, but I love seeing the variety of ways that people are building Clownblade, and I love that it seems to have become standard to run the Brilliant Fusion engine in them. :swoon:

It's super awesome that a lot of the OCG players are teching in the different Charmer Familiars into the deck, too.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I searched LDS on YGO Wiki, they translated all the curriculum for it. Some of these subjects are hilarious. Starting, from the 1st Tier (that is, the year everyone had), is "Staple Cards Studies". Considering we were complaining about no one using staple cards in Slur's last stream, this is hilarious, apparently the LDS students are taught about them and then just...don't use them at all. You'd think everyone would be running with Bottomless and Compulsory.

The Synchro course has mostly the subjects I'd expect ("Studies of Suitable Number of Tuner Cards" is a subject I'd really, really like taking myself), but the most hilarious one is no doubt this one from the last tier, "Inanimate Solitaire Theory". That's right, the Synchro Course is literally taught to play by themselves. The kids complained about Yaiba but this is an actual subject for him.

The Xyz course confuses me a bit with its subjects, what's the difference between "Rank Basic Studies" and "Practical Rank Studies"? Do you really need two subjects to teach people about Ranks? Also "Monster Effect Negation Studies" is something that all the courses should have, yet only the Xyz have. The last year has "Special Card Changing Theory", which I'm guessing is Xyz Change without Rank Up (since it doesn't exist in Standard, and Hokuto used this)

The Fusion course has "Advantage Studies" in the second tier and "Disadvantage Studies" in the third, which I fail to see how they're only useful for Fusion, like "Monster Effect Negation Studies". I guess in this case it'd be Fusion-related advantages and disadvantages? More importantly, the third tier has "Attribute-Based Fusions Practical Battle", which I'd go as far as saying is vital if you're using Fusion in this day and age, so good job Reiji for putting that subject a year late. Perhaps most interestingly, the last tier has "Super Fusion Theory". It's either the best way to use a banned card (which should be unbanned, Konami), or someone's learning from Yubel.

All of the courses have "Side Deck Studies" I & II in different tiers, in the anime where matches are never played and Side Decks don't exist. Reiji, why? What's the point?

Meanwhile, the Integrated Course where Sawatari is has "Advance Summons" I & II in place of Fusion/Synchro/Xyz Summons I & II, I guess learning how to tribute properly is important. They also have two Ritual courses in the third tier, "Old Rituals Studies" and "Contemporary Rituals Studies". I'm going to take a guess that the latter is 100% Nekroz. Thanks for failing or at least never following that subject, Sawatari. Most hilarious is the last tier though, with "Surrender Theory". That's right, the Integrated Course is taught, in their last year, how to give up. Another subject that Sawatari clearly never passed, thankfully. They also have "D-Draw Probability Theory" which I have no idea what it might be.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

They also have "D-Draw Probability Theory" which I have no idea what it might be.

Destiny draw, of course! :science:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Silento posted:

Destiny draw, of course! :science:

Oh that makes...sense? I mean, it makes sense with the name, but how do you study the probability of a literal miracle?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

:words: on LDS courses

This is all really cool and silly. And I am glad they put the effort in to devise a curriculum for every summoning type. It's great.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Blaze Dragon posted:

Most hilarious is the last tier though, with "Surrender Theory". That's right, the Integrated Course is taught, in their last year, how to give up.

I would think it's more about how to make your opponent surrender. So it's probably on a bunch of dick moves like deliberately doing nothing to waste time.

It's the secret how to inner monologue course. :v:

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 26, 2015

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I can't remember if I've linked this page before, but...

http://1157981433.deviantart.com/

This guy has stupidly high-quality images of a lot of YGO art. There's some cool stuff in there, and it's nice to see a lot of these monsters in higher quality then usual.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
The new episode is super fun! I like how the plot has the three groups off doing their own thing (Four? Still don't know where Reiji and ninja are), it balances out character screentime nicely, which is often a problem in this series.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
They are treating Ritual like History courses. :smith:

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 27, 2015

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So of all the summoning types, is there any that comes out as the strongest? It's weird that fusion is apparently good these days, cause all I remember is never even touching it as a kid.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Man, Dennis and Gongenzaka's overdramatic entertainment duel was really great. :allears:

Dennis hamming it up was hilarious, and of course Gongenzaka's manliness would win the audience to his side and make him into the de-facto hero of the match. Another fun thing about the duel was that all of Dennis's non-synchro summon methods just made him look like a cheating rear end in a top hat, while Gongenzaka looks like the underdog because he's using the summoning method everyone's used to. And next episode they're gonna add Shun to the group, which is a pretty good trio because it's made up of the 3 best bro's of the Yu's.

It's weird that this episode didn't have more Crow though, given the title and all. But, that's something the series has been weird about for ages, the episode that had Yuuri in the title only had him appear for like a single scene, and an episode titled something like "Sora's return" only had him show up at the end. It's just pretty weird, and i'm wondering whether next episode will end up switching focus to the final group of Lancers who haven't shown up yet.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Momomo posted:

So of all the summoning types, is there any that comes out as the strongest? It's weird that fusion is apparently good these days, cause all I remember is never even touching it as a kid.

Not really? I guess it depends on the format. Right now Nekroz are the best deck in the game, so I guess Rituals are the strongest right now?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Momomo posted:

No, it's all determine by current meta/banlist and contemporary archetype. But all summoning type have at least a really strong archetype... Ignoring current banlist that might have ruin that archetype.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Nyaa posted:

They are treating Ritual like History courses. :smith:

Well it's true.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Xyz is the most ubiquitous, any deck that can potentially have two monsters of the same level on the field can Xyz summon.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Tribute is the simplest and the best.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

everythingWasBees posted:

Well it's true.

You say, as Rituals dominate both the OCG and TCG metagames.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Dexie posted:

You say, as Rituals dominate both the OCG and TCG metagames.

Yeah but the majority of the summoning type is forgotten history.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Now those are pretty great.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
What a nice loving episode :allears: just really nice all around, loved the Crow bit, loved Sawatari being Sawatari and showing off his discipline, loved the awkward and funny dimensional ramblings and that duel with Dennis was awesome, him just going "WELP, guess i'll play the villain haha" was a nice preview to some evil poo poo we'll see for sure.

XYZ doesn't exist in Synchro either, that's really, really interesting.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Y'know I don't think I'd mind if Yuzu kept Selena's clothes for the rest of the series. They still work as an entertainer's costume, got a sort of ringmaster look to it. A lot like Yusho, actually. All she'd need is a top hat and apparently Dennis would have her covered for that.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

ConanThe3rd posted:

I thought they were trying to avoid marking her as a main protagonist by way of the "Yu" in her name.

Didn't they give her 'Yu' to do just that, though, label her as on even footing with the lead?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Justin_Brett posted:

Didn't they give her 'Yu' to do just that, though, label her as on even footing with the lead?

Not really. All the yutaginists have extended u's, Yuuya, Yuuto, Yuugo, Yuuri. They would probably have the same kanji in the title if they weren't spelled in kana. Yuzu is just Yuzu.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

This week's Arc-V was fantastic. Dennis is the absolute best and I can't wait for his full heel turn. :swoon:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Dexie posted:

I can't remember if I've linked this page before, but...

http://1157981433.deviantart.com/

This guy has stupidly high-quality images of a lot of YGO art. There's some cool stuff in there, and it's nice to see a lot of these monsters in higher quality then usual.

Wow, this is really cool! It's great to see the art in det-

Are there dudes trapped inside the Infernoids? :stare:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkAtpkhKJzA full version of Hanate if anyone's interested. Really lovin' this song.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

VJeff posted:

Wow, this is really cool! It's great to see the art in det-

Are there dudes trapped inside the Infernoids? :stare:

Yep! Not quite sure what the exact lore there is, but...

...yeah. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Which monster is that getting podded?