Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

SgtSteel91 posted:

I get the feeling Stannis isn't going to burn his Daughter and the combination of not listening to Melisandra and the snow picking up is going to lead to an "army tries to invade Russia in winter and they weren't prepared for that" and fail trying to take Winterfel.

Feels that way. Maybe the wildlings (who are trained at taking fortifications and will regard the snows at Winterfell as an usually warm afternoon) will take it in John's name in exchange for free lands for them to settle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

What I thought was dumb was how Tommen knew that Cersei was responsible for sparrow shenanigans last episode and suddenly he knows nothing about that this episode and believes everything she tells him and is willing to have her be his emissary to Queen Marge.

Gonna be an interesting Small Council meeting this week!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

hiddenmovement posted:

By the conclusion of season 4, episode 7:

Joffrey had been assasinated
Tyrion had been imprisoned for it
Tyrion has gone on trial, been betrayed by Shae and Varys
Tyrion has requested trial by combat, loving up Tywin's plan to get Jamie to return to Casterly Rock
Ser Dondas had been killed
Littlefinger had kidnapped Sansa and admitted his role in Joffrey's death
Olenna admits the same to Margery
It was revealed that Littlefinger has been playing Lysa Arryan like a fiddle for years, and had orchestrated John Arryan's death
He murders Lysa by hurling her through the moondoor
We are given Oberyn and everyone loves him
Oberyn declares that he's going to kill the mountain
Dany takes Mereen
Jon takes Craster's Keep, kills all the traitors and avenges Mormont. Also frees Ghost
The Hound eats an awful lot of chickens

Yeah this season is poo poo

Anyone who thought that HBO can manage to keep a series strong past the initial seasons obviously hasn't been paying attention.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Zwabu posted:

Gonna be an interesting Small Council meeting this week!

No matter what else happens, Qyburn is 100% going to pull his dick out.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Xoidanor posted:

Anyone who thought that HBO can manage to keep a series strong past the initial seasons obviously hasn't been paying attention.

Season 4 was loving amazing, though.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Xoidanor posted:

Season 5 seems like "gently caress it, rush everything so we can finish in 2 seasons or less"

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

cock hero flux posted:

Sad that they didn't put Cersei and Margery in the same cell.

Yeah, I was really hoping that after they slammed the door shut ("LOOK CLOSELY AT THIS FACE, IT'S THE LAST THING YO"-klunk) Cersei would turn around and see Marge there going all "what now".

No way Cersei's horning in Marge's sweet prison laundry room job. Latrine detail all the way! :getin:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I don't like the Sparrows, but I love the High Sparrow. :swoon:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Aristobulus posted:

This season is really bad. It's all over the place and inconsistent and out of character. It's been pointed out already the flaws in the writing but seriously

So many scenes ARE pointless and just wasting time. That's the biggest reason this season is so bad, is that really it feels like nothing is happening because every time it seems like the plot is going somewhere, the next episode takes more steps backwards.

From all book readers: welcome to our hell! :unsmigghh:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Why would you coat your weapons in slow-acting poison when you're going into a garden where everyone you might conceivably fight is a relative or someone sworn to protect your relatives and you're trying to kidnap someone alive?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

I don't like the Sparrows, but I love the High Sparrow. :swoon:

He's really gone from doddering ineffectual old man to an absolute master of the game. He's found his calling and right now he is running circles around everyone.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Why would you coat your weapons in slow-acting poison when you're going into a garden where everyone you might conceivably fight is a relative or someone sworn to protect your relatives and you're trying to kidnap someone alive?
Because umm uhh *whips out some truly righteous titties*

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If their goal was to kill Myrcella, why bother with trying to kidnap her in the first place? Just cut her and get the hell out of there before Hotah and those bad guys arrive.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Because otherwise you'd have to use the fast acting poison that would kill them before they could get cured and those guys are either family or people sworn to protect family.

Like duh :rolleyes:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Hey guys just wanted to check in and confirm that I'm still not watching this show.

Peace!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

pentyne posted:

He's really gone from doddering ineffectual old man to an absolute master of the game. He's found his calling and right now he is running circles around everyone.

When was he ever a doddering ineffectual old man? He played Cersei from the very start.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

BrianWilly posted:

Hey guys just wanted to check in and confirm that I'm still not watching this show.

Peace!

Thanks for the update.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

BrianWilly posted:

Peace!

Sansa warged into Theon and beat the poo poo out of Ramsay, it was pretty righteous.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Xoidanor posted:

You can't really blame HBO for this. Books 4 and 5 are garbage, this is entirely on GRRM. Feast of Crows and Dance with Dragons are 2000 pages of filler.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

BrianWilly posted:

Peace!

You missed some seriously awesome titties!

Frustrated posted:

You can't really blame HBO for this. Books 4 and 5 are garbage, this is entirely on GRRM. Feast of Crows and Dance with Dragons are 2000 pages of filler.

Confirmed. I can't even finish with dance with dragons and what the gently caress Pate the Pig Boy?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

My Q-Face posted:

You missed some seriously awesome titties!

Confirmed. I can't even finish with dance with dragons and what the gently caress Pate the Pig Boy?

GRRM can't be bothered to write because words are wind, nuncle.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Frustrated posted:

I can lay the blame for anything on HBO, I suffered through the later seasons of Oz.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Svanja posted:

She made absolutely sure to get his consent.

Yeah keep telling yourself that, won't make it true. Sam was obviously still hurting and stunned/confused too. He had literally zero ageny.

This season sucks. HBO is just rushing things while at the same time nothing happens.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Sam and Gilly barely look like they're into it.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Dr Christmas posted:

Guys, the Queen of Thorns had a conversation with a guy and he wans't put in his place :ohdear:

That scene struck me as really odd. Olenna is meant to be sharp as a tack and very experienced; I refuse to believe she hasn't had some kind of religious debate at some point in her life, or to be familiar with arguments against the faith the same as the real world. Y'know, like she says "I have read The Seven-Pointed Star" and then going "and while it says this here it also says this here" kind of thing. But even when the High Sparrow was all "hey, you ever sown or reaped those crops you're threatening to withhold from us? Don't try it or you might start a peasant rebellion that kills you because we outnumber you" surely she could've pulled some turn-around question or analogy or historical precedent out of her hat. Instead she just demands the High Sparrow do what she wants, then offers to bribe him, then threatens him all in the span of two minutes.

I honestly don't know if this scene is not in the books and the HBO writers didn't know how to go about it or if Martin just wanted her to lose an argument (which she already did against Tywin with the threat he made against making Loras a Kingsguard) and show that the High Sparrow is not intimidated by her and phoned it in. I guess I'll just chalk it up to time constraints preventing a thoughtful war of wits but I believe it could've definitely been handled better, like a lot of things this season.

Thank god Cersei's finally getting hers though.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
The snake tits ended up being the highlight of the episode.

Literally nothing that has happened with Jon/Daenerys/Cersei/Brienne/Littlefinger has been interesting at all, dull slow moving poo poo, all of it.

It's funny that people are saying everything is rushed because it's been 7 episodes and maybe 3 or 4 things of any actual importance have finally happened.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
Did most people complain about earlier episodes focusing on only one or two characters' stories at a time? It's not that nothing has happened so much as the pace of it happening is poo poo.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
What was the point of that Sam and Gilly scene? Two characters no one gives a poo poo about getting it on in their own gross way. All I could think about during that scene was how long it had been since either of them bathed.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
Dany pls dont kill Jorah he brained a guy with his own helmet and is objectively cooler than u now

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

Gilly is also cool and hardcore and I'm glad she got laid if that's what we're calling that

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

whoflungpoop posted:

Gilly is also cool and hardcore and I'm glad she got laid if that's what we're calling that

Gilly and her weak chin are the loving worse.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

Kelly posted:

Gilly and her weak chin are the loving worse.

There's washing to do and rapists to slap and an old man to nurse and a baby to take care of and another fat baby to take care of. Gilly has neither time nor fucks to give about what you think of her chin.

Also she cant read your loving wizard pictures

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

HoneyBoy posted:

Sansa could have taken Winterfell alone with a toothbrush while Bran warged into all three dragons at once and those tits would still be an honorable mention

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

The Duggler posted:

Sansa could have taken Winterfell alone with a toothbrush while Bran warged into all three dragons at once and those tits would still be an honorable mention

I wonder if quotes like this help for a person's self esteem or just make them feel dirty.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Kelly posted:

What was the point of that Sam and Gilly scene? Two characters no one gives a poo poo about getting it on in their own gross way. All I could think about during that scene was how long it had been since either of them bathed.

At least it wasn't unwashed oral.

whoflungpoop posted:

There's washing to do and rapists to slap and an old man to nurse and a baby to take care of and another fat baby to take care of. Gilly has neither time nor fucks to give about what you think of her chin.

Also she cant read your loving wizard pictures

Hey, she knows S

:eng101:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I still can't believe Cersei didn't see this coming, we've always known how short-sighted she is and how she isn't as clever as she thinks but it was still amazing how it never occurred to her that giving power to a guy who openly told her he had no regard for or fear of the nobility might backfire on her.

That said, the next Small Council meeting is going to be amazing.

Tommen: Somebody do something :gonk:
Qyburn: Well I have been working on some thing.....

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 13:01 on May 25, 2015

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Hopefully SSJ Gregor Clegane just wipes out everyone in Kings Landing giving us one less plot thread to deal with

Jerusalem posted:

I still can't believe Cersei didn't see this coming, we've always known how short-sighted she is and how she isn't as clever as she thinks but it was still amazing how it never occurred to her that giving power to a guy who openly told her he had no regard for or fear of the nobility might backfire on her.

Neither can I, but at least her motivations as a character are clear, even if they are dreadfully shortsighted. I still don't know wtf is going on in Dany's head.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

Abandoned Toaster posted:

That scene struck me as really odd. Olenna is meant to be sharp as a tack and very experienced; I refuse to believe she hasn't had some kind of religious debate at some point in her life, or to be familiar with arguments against the faith the same as the real world. Y'know, like she says "I have read The Seven-Pointed Star" and then going "and while it says this here it also says this here" kind of thing. But even when the High Sparrow was all "hey, you ever sown or reaped those crops you're threatening to withhold from us? Don't try it or you might start a peasant rebellion that kills you because we outnumber you" surely she could've pulled some turn-around question or analogy or historical precedent out of her hat. Instead she just demands the High Sparrow do what she wants, then offers to bribe him, then threatens him all in the span of two minutes.

I honestly don't know if this scene is not in the books and the HBO writers didn't know how to go about it or if Martin just wanted her to lose an argument (which she already did against Tywin with the threat he made against making Loras a Kingsguard) and show that the High Sparrow is not intimidated by her and phoned it in. I guess I'll just chalk it up to time constraints preventing a thoughtful war of wits but I believe it could've definitely been handled better, like a lot of things this season.

Thank god Cersei's finally getting hers though.

Olenna normally deals with other lords and ladies and high priests, where she knows the pressure points and the scandals, the skeletons in the closet, and has to power to bribe or threaten if information doesn't work. You'll remember that the previous High Septon was fond of whores and gold shiny things, and for these reasons was tossed out on his ear. If she'd been up against him then she would have had leverage at the very least.

However, the High Sparrow doesn't have a history as far as anyone knows, has no discernable skeletons in the closet, doesn't want or rely on money or finery and thus can't be bribed, and due to the Faith Militant can't be threatened by Olenna to find himself in a dark alley one night surrounded by people who are going to do him harm. What you're seeing is not a religious debate gone wrong; what you're seeing is Olenna trying all the tricks and arguments that normally work on High Septons and failing to get any purchase.

I don't know where the High Sparrow comes from, but he knows how to deal with these arguments. I'd say he was highborn or a very successful person before ditching his position for the Church.

Kelly posted:

Sam violating his vows, I'm guessing.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

HoneyBoy posted:

10/10. Would bend the knee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I liked how she literally did the whole 'you can't do this, I am the queen!" when she watched them arrest the actual queen just the episode before.

• Locked thread