Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I can't imagine this not becoming a huge success and a real breakthrough for CDPR. But Wild Hunt is the last game in the series, I wonder if they will really be able to leave it like that. There's the Cyberpunk game, of course, but after that? Will also be interesting to see if Bethesda will be able to step up their game after this.

Doubt it but would like to be wrong.
Like Creative Assembly or Bohemia Interactive they just seem to add little features and graphic upgrades game after game...and it keep selling like hot bread to they must be right to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Offkorn posted:

Double-tapping a direction also short-dodges. No need to use the hotkey.

This is what I use, haven't mapped dodge to another key. I'm not a very good fighter but hey it works for me. It helps that I also use double-tap to dodge in Guild Wars 2 (inb4 someone says V is the only way to dodge).

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I wonder what would happen if a gamer from 1980 who loves playing Pacman and Space Invaders was given 24 hours to play this game. I'm not sure if they would be heartbroken or pissed off that they had to wait 3 and a half decades to experience it again.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Djikstra, thus far, has the best monologue of the game. He was trying to convince me to help him with something and one of the conversation options causes him to explain the country he helped build and it got me loving fired up. I was totally on board with him after that.

Also that serial killer quest is loving disturbing.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I want to rebind the Dodge function to the spacebar, but whenever I do this the Jump function is cleared as well, because by default Jump and Roll are bound to spacebar. Is there a config file I can edit to make the changes I want?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Also that serial killer quest is loving disturbing.

I forgot to try that but does it affect the dialogue if you approach the guy with drawn sword?

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.
Kind of frustrated because I like tracking how long I've been playing games. I bought this on GOG, and I've been using GOG Galaxy, but its time tracking is complete poo poo, there are whole nights of playing I know it didn't record anything for.

Is there anything I'm missing in game that shows me how much time I've spent playing, or am I poo poo out of luck?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Pretty sure the big stats window that pops up when you hit 'C' in any of the menus (inventory/character/crafting/etc) has a total time played number somewhere.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Baron Bifford posted:

I want to rebind the Dodge function to the spacebar, but whenever I do this the Jump function is cleared as well, because by default Jump and Roll are bound to spacebar. Is there a config file I can edit to make the changes I want?
Yes, i want to switch dodge and jump because dodge would far more practical in combat using the space bar than jump/roll and i have the exact same problem.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

VDay posted:

Pretty sure the big stats window that pops up when you hit 'C' in any of the menus (inventory/character/crafting/etc) has a total time played number somewhere.

I saw "Total Play Time" there, but it's definitely not correct, there's no way I've sunk 2 days 11 hours + into it yet... I only get to play 2-4 hours a night. Argh!

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
It's really god drat impressive how beautiful and how well this game runs on an Xbox. A game like this I'd expect an Xbox/PS4 to be brought screaming and crying down to 10-15fps, but nope. Game is pretty much a solid 30 with only minimal dips every once in a while.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

The Insect Court posted:

Are there any decoctions worth the huge toxicity hit? Other than a couple with highly specific uses, I can't imagine trading the ability to use swallow/thunderbolt for a decoction.

Get one or two points in the tier 1 alchemy talent that raises your max toxicity for every alchemy recipe you know.
My toxicity level is close to 200 now. Chug away, my friend.

SkyEnzo
Mar 8, 2015

No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter.
Is bear skin gear Ursine gear or am I missing something?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
So Keira was killed in my game by pissing her off. How badly did I gently caress up? I'm trying to stick with all my decisions and not save scumming, but I'm hoping this doesn't totally gently caress me over later in the game.

Also, gently caress gwent opponents who play monster decks. I'm on the second guy of the velen quest line and just cannot beat him with my northern realms deck. Is this just a matter of playing more inkeeps for better cards?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Jack2142 posted:

Guys once you get to Novigrad the game changes tone dramatically from feudal misery simulator to heist/holocaust movie. I can't wait to see what Skellige is going to be because Velen & Novigrad are like two seperate games it seems.

No kidding. After scouring the countryside in Velen for ages (level 12) and STILL having like half ?'s unexplored, I rolled into Novigrad and the first cutscene showed me that poo poo just got real in here. It's a totally different atmosphere.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

Anti-Hero posted:

So Keira was killed in my game by pissing her off. How badly did I gently caress up? I'm trying to stick with all my decisions and not save scumming, but I'm hoping this doesn't totally gently caress me over later in the game.

Broken Cog posted:

Just posting this so those that (Keira spoilers)killed Keira know what they've done.
(Fairly late-game spoilers, even if it's just a story-screen) http://i.imgur.com/nximL3m.jpg

Also later on in my game she saved my witcher bff Lambert when surrounded by the Wild Hunt so maybe he dies now because of you and your terrible decisions :shrug:

She also sells rare Alchemy / Herb stuff and one of only a couple respec potions in the game.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Creepy Goat posted:

Also later on in my game she saved my witcher bff Lambert when surrounded by the Wild Hunt so maybe he dies now because of you and your terrible decisions :shrug:

She also sells rare Alchemy / Herb stuff and one of only a couple respec potions in the game.

Well it's not like I wanted to kill her. She just got irrevocably pissed off when I called her out on using Geralt and the dialog led to a fight. Maybe I should reload...

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

SkyEnzo posted:

Is bear skin gear Ursine gear or am I missing something?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ursus_(genus)

quote:

Ursus is a genus in the family Ursidae (bears) that includes the widely distributed brown bears,[3] the polar bear,[4] and black bears. The name is derived from the Latin ursus, meaning bear

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Creepy Goat posted:

In my game she disappears after the fight at Kaer Morhen afaik. She gets her very own witcher. So no more rare alchemy/herb stuff vendor in Velen.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Schlesische posted:

In my game she disappears after the fight at Kaer Morhen afaik. She gets her very own witcher. So no more rare alchemy/herb stuff vendor in Velen.

The Pellar provides. As does the Herb guy east of Oxenfurt.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Thanks for the fix, alt spells worked after doing it.

Now all I need is a gwent rematch button. :suicide:

bobthethurd
Dec 27, 2007
Lovable Bob.
Holy poo poo Geralt is even more Medieval Fantasy Batman in this than he was in the previous games. I kindof miss how your super-power is no longer that you just buy the book on how to kill the monsters and read it, anymore, but now it feels a little more like he actually knows the things he monologues to the player in a logical fashion instead.

This way he's just a good tracker for whom drinking bleach causes him to see several seconds into the future and also heal cuts in moments, instead of somehow being the only person capable of reading 'kill the monster by shoving this herb into its gut with a sword.' Anyone can do that stuff, but they'll gently caress up some detail. Geralt can do it all from memory.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
CD Projekt made a better detective game than Rocksteady.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
He's a better detective than the bat in Batman:Origins, that's for sure.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.
This is a good game and there are also butts in it, CDPR blew this poo poo out of the water

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Where does the enhanced ursine set scavenger hunt quest activate from? Wanna get upgrading this, it's a very cool set.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

Anti-Hero posted:

Well it's not like I wanted to kill her. She just got irrevocably pissed off when I called her out on using Geralt and the dialog led to a fight. Maybe I should reload...

It seems to be the one decision everyone is getting hung up on, that and the Baron. But maybe that's because most people are still quite early on in the story. I'm not one to talk though considering how bad a turn things took in my end-game. Best bet is not to save-scum, but instead rectify your choices in your 2nd playthrough as in the long run a lot of things don't necessarily turn out as expected.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Toplowtech posted:

Yes, i want to switch dodge and jump because dodge would far more practical in combat using the space bar than jump/roll and i have the exact same problem.
I have found out how to do this. Go to C:\User\You\Documents\The Witcher 3\ and edit the input.settings file. Find IK_Space=(Action=CbtRoll) and change it to IK_Space=(Action=Dodge), then find IK_Alt=(Action=Dodge) and change that to IK_Alt=(Action=CbtRoll).

SkyEnzo
Mar 8, 2015

No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter.

Fair enough thanks for that.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

NaDy posted:

Where does the enhanced ursine set scavenger hunt quest activate from? Wanna get upgrading this, it's a very cool set.

I think you find it in the same chest you find the base Ursine set in.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Broken Cog posted:

I think you find it in the same chest you find the base Ursine set in.

Oh right, I'll have to double check my quest log then haha.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Do you know about the alchemist yet or am I just a slowpoke?
Now we'll just need to wait for the wealthy vendor mod to include that guy :getin:
Scavenger Hunt talk: Do I just have to check every question mark in Velen to find the Griffin Set (which I'm gonna do anyway)?. There don't seem to be proper clues to find stuff.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The Bear stuff, including the other parts of the map, is on Skellige. Read them in your Quest inventory.

bobthethurd
Dec 27, 2007
Lovable Bob.
So the question I feel like I want to ask is this. Should I be getting Dragon Age: Inquisition vibes from this the way I am? I want there to be a point where I can stop and grind in whatever necessary ways to get the biggest, shiniest armor and swords.

The early monster hunts are great. This is why you hire a Witcher, not because they're a superhuman, but because they don't gently caress up and make things worse or just delay the inevitable, if at all possible. That they're superhuman just lets them not die in droves while playing medieval Ghost Busters.

Did the previous games do that? I don't remember 2 really stating why you can't solve the same problem with a hunter or two with weapon oil, except lazy answers like 'but the elves are around so we have to guard stuff more.'

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

bobthethurd posted:

So the question I feel like I want to ask is this. Should I be getting Dragon Age: Inquisition vibes from this the way I am? I want there to be a point where I can stop and grind in whatever necessary ways to get the biggest, shiniest armor and swords.

The early monster hunts are great. This is why you hire a Witcher, not because they're a superhuman, but because they don't gently caress up and make things worse or just delay the inevitable, if at all possible. That they're superhuman just lets them not die in droves while playing medieval Ghost Busters.

Did the previous games do that? I don't remember 2 really stating why you can't solve the same problem with a hunter or two with weapon oil, except lazy answers like 'but the elves are around so we have to guard stuff more.'

A lot of rewards from monster hunting and side quest stuff gets better the more you level (though the quest rewards proper don't, the gear you find does). So just don't finish your business in an area, do monster hunts when you feel like it, then when you're properly leveled go out busting heads.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Does anyone know if Igni's melt armor skill affects monsters? If armor specifically refers to humans wearing clothing that's one thing, but if non-humans also have inherent armor stats the skill would be more appealing.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

bobthethurd posted:

The biggest difference is that in Dragon Age, you kind of do one area, then head off and do another.
That doesn't really happen in Wild Hunt, and many of the missions you'll get in Velen are (for example) like 20 levels higher than you and are reasons for you to come back to that area for better reasons than "I didn't get to buy all the things from there" or "Hey, I'd like some more crafting stuff".

I loved the monster hunts; they're one of the best things in this game and really take that whole element of the sidequest to a whole new level; they don't really taper off although some of the mid-level ones could do with a bit more fleshing out.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

bobthethurd posted:

Witcher 1 has the whole thing where Siegfried wants to kill the cockatrice because the Order provides free monster hunting.
Other than that, I don't think the games ever went beyond "he's a witcher he kills things". Though to be fair, I'd also rather pay a Witcher than pay mercenaries or risk my own life because Witcher wages are hilariously low.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
To be fair, most of the people Witcher's help are dirt poor themselves and are pooling their savings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Weird how light/medium/heavy are play styles and the armor sets are upgradable but then it's locked away behind various level quests.