Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Schlesische posted:

The biggest difference is that in Dragon Age, you kind of do one area, then head off and do another.
That doesn't really happen in Wild Hunt, and many of the missions you'll get in Velen are (for example) like 20 levels higher than you and are reasons for you to come back to that area for better reasons than "I didn't get to buy all the things from there" or "Hey, I'd like some more crafting stuff".

In Dragon Age:Inquisition you have to do that too. First open area was a surprise to many people because they just expected to finish it and move on - then you meet a monster that's a couple of levels above you, and it's not a game where you can grind down an enemy that's supposedly too strong for you. There are more instances of that design, also enemies have level range, so those loving bears or wolves are constant annoyance. I prefer one-shotting fixed levelled enemies to damage sponges. I was about to wrap my completionist run of DA:I which I've stopped twice because it's becoming incredible slog. Fetch quests suck, collectibles hunts suck (especially if you collect: regions, camps, flags, lumbers/quaries, shards, thrones and pieces of mosaic). Witcher is a breath of fresh air for me, and I really really hope quest from Witcher becomes RPG standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

alex314 posted:

Witcher is a breath of fresh air for me, and I really really hope quest from Witcher becomes RPG standard.

That would require actual effort so it won't happen.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Does anyone know if Igni's melt armor skill affects monsters? If armor specifically refers to humans wearing clothing that's one thing, but if non-humans also have inherent armor stats the skill would be more appealing.

Some skills in general seem quite silly. Like the +burn chance skill when intensity does the exact same thing.
And intensity is hosed as well, I just went from +22% to +36% intensity by taking out skills and putting them back into the exact same slot.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Carecat posted:

Weird how light/medium/heavy are play styles and the armor sets are upgradable but then it's locked away behind various level quests.

The armour itself is level locked.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Fat Samurai posted:

He's a better detective than the bat in Batman:Origins, that's for sure.

Aren't the detective vision and witcher sense systems basically identical though.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Geralt casually schwacking monsters' heads off never gets old. :allears:

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Aren't the detective vision and witcher sense systems basically identical though.

He means the deductions Geralt makes in quests and such.

New list of pet peeves:
Archers firing at me when I don't count as in combat so I can't block their arrows or dodge easily.
Clipping on large monsters bodies as I try to dodge (cockatrice was the worst offender)
Getting stunlocked from full HP due to leaping attacks.
Wraiths going insubstantial because my attacks pushed them out of Yrden and instantly hitting me back.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Sure but the Witcher 3 actually uses it well.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Is there any way to get back the beard growth after installing the haircut DLC?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Junkenstein posted:

I have the DLC installed and the beard grows fine for me.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

alex314 posted:

In Dragon Age:Inquisition you have to do that too. First open area was a surprise to many people because they just expected to finish it and move on - then you meet a monster that's a couple of levels above you, and it's not a game where you can grind down an enemy that's supposedly too strong for you. There are more instances of that design, also enemies have level range, so those loving bears or wolves are constant annoyance. I prefer one-shotting fixed levelled enemies to damage sponges. I was about to wrap my completionist run of DA:I which I've stopped twice because it's becoming incredible slog. Fetch quests suck, collectibles hunts suck (especially if you collect: regions, camps, flags, lumbers/quaries, shards, thrones and pieces of mosaic). Witcher is a breath of fresh air for me, and I really really hope quest from Witcher becomes RPG standard.

Yeah, I think the way the sidequests have been handled in Witcher 3 is really so much better and I hope that becomes the norm.
It won't, because "IT HAS ENOUGH LIFE TO GET YOU THROUGH 100 HOURS!" is a really good catch-cry and publishers don't seem to care if 60 of those 100 hours are mindless fetch quests and collectable hunting. If Wild Hunt is successful I get the feeling most publishers are going to zero in on the fact that the Witcher used that exact line in their marketing.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Aurain posted:

I have the DLC installed and the beard grows fine for me.

Hairstyles and beards added by the DLC do not have hair growth.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

If you whistle for Roach in mountains of Skellige, the sound echoes around the place.

I liked how 3 guards are chilling on the bridge to Kaer Trolde and discuss what to get their friend for his birthday. "An axe? Are you serious?" - in a very facepalm expression. An axe is probably the most common, thoughtless gift someone can get in skellige.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Junkenstein posted:

Go to a barber and choose clean shaven.

How big is Skellige compared to the first area?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Sankis posted:

Go to a barber and choose clean shaven.

How big is Skellige compared to the first area?

Not quite as big, but still pretty massive. And holy gently caress its gorgeous.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I wonder if (Late game spoilers)anyone sided with Dijkstra at the finale of that quest chain. Even though Thalers' proposition sounded extremely dumb, and meant basically handing Nilfgaard the North on a silver platter, no way I was gonna just stand by and let him murder Thaler, Ves and my bro Roche. I get the feeling that letting him take over would let the North win the war though, but I also feel he'd just become another Radovid.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Anyone had any luck extracting textures? Trying to uncover where the hell icons are located.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I'm also on the frustration boat of not being to find loot that's my level. I want new armour/swords etc and I haven't found a single thing yet, i'm still level 5 because the XP is balls slow and the quests I keep finding seem to be all level 10/11 etc. Where the gently caress am I supposed to go?!

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
I'm dumb and bad at computers, and was wondering if y'all could help me out with suggestions for fiddling with the graphics options etc. to make this run well/look good on my laptop.

I tried the default settings it chose, but got some lag in cutscenes and the game looked kind of.. odd. Like, it looks worse than, i.e., Skyrim on Ultra and has much more lag as well. I'm not sure if it's a computer problem or a settings problem or some combination thereof. I also assume, of course, there's a lot of user error involved as well.

I have:

GTX 870M (I think equivalent to a GTX 760)
i7-4810MQ @ 2.8 GHZ
16 GB RAM

Windows 8 64 bit.

I also currently have it installed on my main hard drive; I could re-install it on my SSD after I free up some space if that would help.

Is there a consensus for what settings to raise/lower to get Witcher 3 to run/look best on a system like mine that is sort of borderline on the rec'd reqs?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

^^^^^^^
cut on shadows, and turn off hairworks.

Travel. Visit Red Baron's keep. Check out more boards. Just remember to save before main encounters, since you can end up with a fight with level 15 gryphon or some other nasty. Also if you decide to do a main quest remember that any kind of wraith should be engaged when it's in Yrden trap.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Making enemies with red diamonds artifically difficult is kind of dumb. Everything else about the game has been awesome for me, but that's sort of dumb.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Aurain posted:

Making enemies with red diamonds artifically difficult is kind of dumb. Everything else about the game has been awesome for me, but that's sort of dumb.

They are not artificially difficult, they just overlevel you. Come back later

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Well I stayed up all last night and I'm still loving this game. Man it's so satisfying confronting Whoreson Jr.

A couple of questions. What is the name of the serial killer quest and where can you get it?
Also, if you help with the plot to assassinate the King, will it actually come to fruition? I found Thaler and the quest was marked as complete.

Oh and if you look for Phillipa before Triss leaves, will you actually find her? As it is I found her megascope crystal and gave it to the King and that was the end.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Riso posted:

To be fair, most of the people Witcher's help are dirt poor themselves and are pooling their savings.

I love how some peasants "life savings" (Dolores from the Haunted Reardon Estate for instance) are barely enough to buy 5 chicken legs.

This game is so awesome that even the bugs are hilarious.

After meeting Triss, the fight in the grannery got cut short by Geralt being a super badass.
She must have been so impressed, she even forgot to turn off her flames...

"Uh, Triss..."
"WHAT?" :what:

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Sekenr posted:

If you can set them on fire it does huge amounts of damage compared to anything else you can do. Dancing Star bombs are really good at that, but the only guy with the recipe I know is far from start, on outskirts of Oxenfurt.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Infinity Gaia posted:

That's your reward for being hasty in your assumptions. Come on, didn't you think it was suspicious at all that the letter gave you the location for the supposed next kill, and yet the dude seemed surprised to see you?

My reward for being hasty in my assumptions is an item that sits in my inventory saying "HA HA YOU GOT IT WRONG, SIGNED THE KILLER" that I can't even loving mention to the people it would matter to? No, that's lovely. I hate to be the guy getting mad at videogames, but I'm actually upset by this.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Novigrad quests question: So i helped Triss escape on the ship, does that prevent her involvement in other stuff? I gave her Phillipa's crystal but nothing really came of that. For the main questline the last thing i did was find the Witch Hunter boss guy with her, if i wait until later on to help her ecape does she help out at all?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Everything about this game is a thing I love except the combat. I'm only about four hours in but there's just no part of it that feels good. So far enemy AI consists entirely of 1-3 seemingly uninterruptible rushing attacks followed by a backdash/teleport after they take X hits. The manual lock-on requires some sort of specific hidden positioning (maybe an invisible cursor I can't see due to gamepad play?) to work at all. The automatic lock-on loves to switch to whatever thing is not the nearly-dead enemy I'm trying to finish off. I've got two fairly lengthy longswords but the range might as well require hugging. I've been able to potion/eat through it so far but after a oh-poo poo-haven't-saved-in-ten-fights death to Geralt's ADHD target switching I ragequit for the night. I read back through the thread (late to party, etc) near release and I didn't see anything about this.

Is this some sort of sensitivity/controller setting or should I just crank it down to ezbabymode and enjoy the smartass comments/boobs?

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

mcbexx posted:

I love how some peasants "life savings" (Dolores from the Haunted Reardon Estate for instance) are barely enough to buy 5 chicken legs.

This game is so awesome that even the bugs are hilarious.

After meeting Triss, the fight in the grannery got cut short by Geralt being a super badass.
She must have been so impressed, she even forgot to turn off her flames...

"Uh, Triss..."
"WHAT?" :what:

drat she's hot

I'll go now

SkyEnzo
Mar 8, 2015

No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter.

Delacroix posted:

Hairstyles and beards added by the DLC do not have hair growth.

Can confirm. Im rolling the old mutton chops and the chin never grows back.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Mailer posted:

Everything about this game is a thing I love except the combat. I'm only about four hours in but there's just no part of it that feels good. So far enemy AI consists entirely of 1-3 seemingly uninterruptible rushing attacks followed by a backdash/teleport after they take X hits. The manual lock-on requires some sort of specific hidden positioning (maybe an invisible cursor I can't see due to gamepad play?) to work at all. The automatic lock-on loves to switch to whatever thing is not the nearly-dead enemy I'm trying to finish off. I've got two fairly lengthy longswords but the range might as well require hugging. I've been able to potion/eat through it so far but after a oh-poo poo-haven't-saved-in-ten-fights death to Geralt's ADHD target switching I ragequit for the night. I read back through the thread (late to party, etc) near release and I didn't see anything about this.

Is this some sort of sensitivity/controller setting or should I just crank it down to ezbabymode and enjoy the smartass comments/boobs?

I agree that the combat and controls are mostly unpleasant. On normal difficulty, though, you can get a lot of use out of using Quen before a fight (so you go in shielded and stamina recharges almost instantly) then switch to Igni/whatever as you get close and draw your sword.

Get in the habit of sidestepping. Even when the autotargeting is doing its terrible thing you can reliably dodge most attacks, then retaliate with a few light attacks before backing off. Be sure to push in the direction of your enemy as you attack, too. The distance of your sword swings is unpredictable, but generally I find that I close the gap better when I press towards the target.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

GrossMurpel posted:

Some skills in general seem quite silly. Like the +burn chance skill when intensity does the exact same thing.
And intensity is hosed as well, I just went from +22% to +36% intensity by taking out skills and putting them back into the exact same slot.

The mutagen bonus is bugged. you hate to take it off the slot and place it aginf for it to work. That happens all the time, so pay attention to it.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mailer posted:

Just don't use lock-on when you're fighting groups. There's really no need, you will attack in the direction you move the stick (or WSAD if you're using KB+M I guess) and overall it's much easier and makes the combat flow better. Also, remember to use your signs and bombs. For a while I was just using Quen and tanking my way through the bigger groups, but now I've started mixing up my sign usage (throw a Yrden down to slow down a few, get a few hits in on another, dart away and throw a smoke bomb etc etc) and it's much more satisfying.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 25, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sekenr posted:

Doing pitiful amounts of damage against them and in some cases giving them huge regen at one level only to have it so that you are doing good amounts of damage against them (even though the damage numbers are exactly the same, it just doesn't take 1 pixel or so of HP bar away anymore) when you're within its level range is artificially making enemies more difficult.

Not exactly a huge issue, but it shouldn't happen.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really can't decide if I got a decent outcome in the Baron questline or not. That's probably a good sign for the complexity of the choices in this game. I freed the tree spirit because I wanted to save the orphans, but doing so led to Anna and the Baron's deaths and Crow's Perch turning into an even shittier place. If I'd killed the spirit, I would've doomed the children, but I could've saved the Baron and Anna. Legitimately difficult choice.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Supposedly Anna stays insane though. It's bittersweet, but I found the final moment of lucid thought better overall when everyone gets some sort of proper closure.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012

evilmiera posted:

Was that when you let her keep the notes? I stole 'em :(

gently caress i took em too. so i might as well have killed her

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

GuyUpNorth posted:

Supposedly Anna stays insane though. It's bittersweet, but I found the final moment of lucid thought better overall when everyone gets some sort of proper closure.

Considering what's she's been through the only thing that could make her existence better would be memory wipe by a mage.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Just got the Active Shield alternate mode for Quen. In a game where in-battle healing can be a little hard to come by, getting to block several attacks and heal from the damage is absolutely incredible. Sign build for life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Harrow posted:

I really can't decide if I got a decent outcome in the Baron questline or not. That's probably a good sign for the complexity of the choices in this game. I freed the tree spirit because I wanted to save the orphans, but doing so led to Anna and the Baron's deaths and Crow's Perch turning into an even shittier place. If I'd killed the spirit, I would've doomed the children, but I could've saved the Baron and Anna. Legitimately difficult choice.

Well, if you had chosen the opposite the Baron tells his daughter how sorry he is about everything before riding off with Anna, leading to a partial reconciliation between the two. Also, Crow's Perch goes bad regardless of whether the Baron kills himself or goes away to find a healer..