Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Fans posted:

I love how no one gives a poo poo if you just root through their laptops and phones.

Max Caulfield: Future NSA Director

Am I the only one who pathologically rewinds after accessing computers and looking at files?

No-one must know! :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Insurrectionist posted:

You are aware she is a fictional character and doesn't feel that any more than she'd feel bad getting called out or arrested or put in a clown costume for the devs' amusement or whatever, right.

People in this thread are insanely fucktarded.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CottonWolf posted:

Am I the only one who pathologically rewinds after accessing computers and looking at files?

Yeah I do that too, just for the bits like sneaking through Victoria's room for info.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Gaj posted:

I will agree with you on that. But in the medium that is that is this game, the only consequences that Chloe actually feels is physical; getting shot, hit, or shot again are the only consequences she feels. The boring real life escalation is Step-Douche taking away all of her luxuries and privileges, but she she would still end up with a gun, just like Nathan.

Jesus loving christ dude.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

CottonWolf posted:

I did that with David's considering that someone as paranoid as him probably logs logins.

Edit: \/ I also rewound the earlier time you check out his garage so his folders hadnt been touched.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 13:27 on May 25, 2015

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mokinokaro posted:

I did that with David's considering that someone as paranoid as him probably logs logins.

I didn't. It would be cool if it mattered, but I devs probably didn't think about that. Similarly, with the headmaster's computer, I don't think you had an option to rewind at all.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Paladinus posted:

I didn't. It would be cool if it mattered, but I devs probably didn't think about that. Similarly, with the headmaster's computer, I don't think you had an option to rewind at all.

I dont know if its happened yet, but theres probabaly a blanket "she was in my things" moment coming covering both.

On a side-note, if David is surveiling and recording what occurs inside the house, then some of that footage is gonna have Max seemingly teleporting about due to her Rewinds...

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I dont know if its happened yet, but theres probabaly a blanket "she was in my things" moment coming covering both.

On a side-note, if David is surveiling and recording what occurs inside the house, then some of that footage is gonna have Max seemingly teleporting about due to her Rewinds...

Actually, there's something weird with that one that makes me think that reality somehow smooths over Max teleporting by rewinding. During the scenes where Joyce cooks for Max, if you eat the food and then rewind back to the beginning of the segment, Joyce brings her an empty plate, seemingly none the wiser. Presumably outside of being caught doing something clearly impossible, like breaking into the principal's office via 'teleportation', things play out in a relatively sane manner for observers.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

D_W posted:

-Has a fascination with one specific genre of music.

Not at all true. Max likes sensitive singer-songwriters (Bright Eyes), Chloe by all accounts likes punk rock and grunge. You can't even say "it's all technically indie rock".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pingcode posted:

Actually, there's something weird with that one that makes me think that reality somehow smooths over Max teleporting by rewinding. During the scenes where Joyce cooks for Max, if you eat the food and then rewind back to the beginning of the segment, Joyce brings her an empty plate, seemingly none the wiser. Presumably outside of being caught doing something clearly impossible, like breaking into the principal's office via 'teleportation', things play out in a relatively sane manner for observers.

I'd say that's just to prevent outlier timelines that you can't un/redo in the game more than anything as anything Max holds, or in this case; eats, isn't affected by rewind. There's some things that I think are gonna be noticed, like suddenly appearing beside a window to let a bird out.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's actually much more confusing to me now that I know Joyce brings you an empty plate if you do that. She still asks you to get the ingredients, and the ingredients therefore exist despite them also being in Max's stomach, and then Joyce either cooks the ingredients and still brings you an empty plate or she cooks nonexistent food which she would notice because a skillet with no food in it would burn.

:psyduck:

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Insurrectionist posted:

You are aware she is a fictional character and doesn't feel that any more than she'd feel bad getting called out or arrested or put in a clown costume for the devs' amusement or whatever, right.

she's already in a clown costume

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Max's path of terror continues in this episode for me. Last ep I let Kate die and blamed the teacher. This ep I killed the dog, refused to feed the rabbit or even give it light, took a good look at my dead plant, took the disabled allowance money, and did everything I could to see if I could let Chloe's dad die anyway. I like this game. It has backbone.

Korthal
May 26, 2011

Why was the kiss scene a major choice? I'm just imagining at the end of the game the credits will end and there'll be a message scolding us for being sick fucks enforcing stereotypes that girls can't just be good friends :smith:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Korthal posted:

Why was the kiss scene a major choice?

That scene was essentially the game passing you a note that says "Does Max like Chloe y/n"

I suspect with like 99% probability that your choice there retroactively determines Max's, and maybe Chloe's, sexual preference.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

precision posted:

That scene was essentially the game passing you a note that says "Does Max like Chloe y/n"

I suspect with like 99% probability that your choice there retroactively determines Max's, and maybe Chloe's, sexual preference.

Its kinda funny how kissing her makes what Max writes in her diary have her seem straight, while not kissing her makes her seem gay

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Ekusukariba posted:

Its kinda funny how kissing her makes what Max writes in her diary have her seem straight, while not kissing her makes her seem gay

Basically the best way to gently caress with shippers.

Warren or Nathan?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
max gay. so what

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Paladinus posted:

max gay. so what

maximum gay

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Some Maxes are born gay, some Maxes achieve gayness, and some Maxes have gayness shipped upon them.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I feel like an idiot, what do you do when the bomb goes off and the police/fire department are coming? It doesn't seem like you can interact with anything in that state and I can't seem to find anything that would make that not happen.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Artix posted:

I feel like an idiot, what do you do when the bomb goes off and the police/fire department are coming? It doesn't seem like you can interact with anything in that state and I can't seem to find anything that would make that not happen.

I'll give you a clue; Remember that Max stays still during rewinds and the door is now open.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'll give you a clue; Remember that Max stays still during rewinds and the door is now open.

:doh:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yeah, I had a brief moment of panic too when I did that part and was a bit :wtc: about blowing up a door in the school. Then I realized oh hey, you can rewind time...

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Holy poo poo Max, "You eat like a pig. Try the floor!" :master: That was the best moment. Being a Time rear end in a top hat to people is fantastic.

I had doubts they could keep up the quality for this long, but it's still great. It's kinda my perfect adventure game right now, it's between this and Dreamfall Chapters anyway. They've managed to pull off some level of choice yet still give you an environment to wander around, explore, and have optional conversations. I spent about 5 hours with this episode, the season pass has been worth every penny already.

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 27, 2015

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Just downloaded this and played through Episode One. This is a good game, pretty much exactly what I expected it to be. I hope more games about the mundane continue to be made because they're very worthy subjects, even though this one has its own little supernatural twist.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

Just downloaded this and played through Episode One. This is a good game, pretty much exactly what I expected it to be. I hope more games about the mundane continue to be made because they're very worthy subjects, even though this one has its own little supernatural twist.
Even though this one started out pretty dramatic, it still takes the time to let you live in the character's day to day life for a while. I love that there is at least one spot in each episode where you can just sit down and chill out for a minute or two.

Also whoah, public opinion has really shifted against Warren in the last two episodes. I was ready to come in here and defend him, but that screenshot of him hiding out and waiting for Max has made that really hard to do. I kinda wish I didn't know about that. Dude has some pretty rad taste in movies though!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Even though this one started out pretty dramatic, it still takes the time to let you live in the character's day to day life for a while. I love that there is at least one spot in each episode where you can just sit down and chill out for a minute or two.

Also whoah, public opinion has really shifted against Warren in the last two episodes. I was ready to come in here and defend him, but that screenshot of him hiding out and waiting for Max has made that really hard to do. I kinda wish I didn't know about that. Dude has some pretty rad taste in movies though!

Which screenshot's that?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

It was this one, from episode 2:

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Wish I'd never said yes to that drat Apes marathon. Can't wait to crush his heart under my time-travelling boot.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

This screenshot:

Note that when you look at Warren's file, Max notes "Well at least I know that Warren doesn't have a criminal record". Warren's hella skeevo. Dunno what Brooke sees in him.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RightClickSaveAs posted:

It was this one, from episode 2:

Oh, wow :stare:.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

I know, right?

I never would have caught that, and up until it was posted, I thought Warren was just a nice, funny nerdy guy, maybe a bit conceited and with a barely suppressed crush on Max, but he respected her boundaries and was there when she needed help. Now he's kinda stalkery.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Warren is the most accurate portrayal of Nice Guy™ and people that defend him are crazy. Yeah I got beat up YOU OWE ME lol. Pfft

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

License plate time! I only found one new this episode, although it's the car beside the diner that may also be in episode 2.

I'm stumped. Also I think at this point they've completely broken the character limit for license plates.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Rules of Attraction!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Warren is young and is in love, guys. He's obviously inexperienced and stumbles around a lot. He probably wants to confess his love at that stupid film marathon for some reason and wants everything to go as planned. Cut him some slack.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I don't think Warren's trying to be malicious (unless the next episode is going to take another dark turn), but he reallllly needs to learn about boundaries and appropriateness. I hope you can call him out on that and, hoping against hope, he'll go "Oh wow, I've been such a dumbass, I'm sorry."

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

Bad Ending: Watch Planet of the Apes marathon and end up with Warren.
Good Ending: Play Cupid and watch the inevitably caustic Brooke/Warren relationship.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Frankly, Warren turning out to be evil would be the most surprising and unbelievable twist the game could pull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

precision posted:

Frankly, Warren turning out to be evil would be the most surprising and unbelievable twist the game could pull.

Warren obviously killed Rachel Amber and drugged Kate Marsh so he'd have no competition for Max's affections. This would mean he's also the reason Chloe keeps dying. :tinfoil:

• Locked thread