Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

feel free to PM me as well vulturesrow. I've played in every one of these leagues except for the RATs one, and at nearly every level on their "pyramids" at one time or another, so I can tell you about the levels of comp, quality of refs, state of pitches, etc.

my best advice is to get dedicated artificial grass boots, your loving knees will thank you. all the pitches around here are synthetic or AG.

Thanks man, didn't realize you were in the Seattle area. Guess I need to stop being cheap and get PMs so I can message you guys. I probably won't be ready to play until the fall because I'll have a better idea of my work schedule, my kids' soccer schedules (and if I'll be coaching), and other related nonsense(such as maybe playing rugby instead). If you know anything about the youth leagues in the area that would most helpful at this point. Thanks for the tip on the boots, I was just getting ready to buy a pair and would not have thought to get turf shoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

vulturesrow posted:

Thanks man, didn't realize you were in the Seattle area. Guess I need to stop being cheap and get PMs so I can message you guys. I probably won't be ready to play until the fall because I'll have a better idea of my work schedule, my kids' soccer schedules (and if I'll be coaching), and other related nonsense(such as maybe playing rugby instead). If you know anything about the youth leagues in the area that would most helpful at this point. Thanks for the tip on the boots, I was just getting ready to buy a pair and would not have thought to get turf shoes.

NP, just get the outdoor artificial grass ones and not the indoor artificial turf ones. Everything is deep squishy 3g artificial grass with tons of rubber pellets.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

NP, just get the outdoor artificial grass ones and not the indoor artificial turf ones. Everything is deep squishy 3g artificial grass with tons of rubber pellets.

I really hate playing on that stuff.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

vulturesrow posted:

I really hate playing on that stuff.

I too hate playing on a perfectly flat and consistent pitch every time I play.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Shrapnig posted:

I too hate playing on a perfectly flat and consistent pitch every time I play.

OK that part is cool but I'm old and it kind of wrecks me. Yes I'm a big crybaby.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
once you get used to the ball skipping like a 10 year old girl at recess if there's the least bit of moisture, I quite like it.

and specialized cleats mitigate a lot of the old and wrecked thing. I still get sore after back to back nights, but that's because I am no longer a young specimen.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

once you get used to the ball skipping like a 10 year old girl at recess if there's the least bit of moisture, I quite like it.

Luckly Seattle doesnt get too wet.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

dkj posted:

Luckly Seattle doesnt get too wet.

yeah but it's a dry wet

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

and specialized cleats mitigate a lot of the old and wrecked thing. I still get sore after back to back nights, but that's because I am no longer a young specimen.

Seconded. I found when wearing regular grass cleats on the turf around Seattle that I was always one unlucky step away from twisting an ankle, because the studs sat up on top of the turf instead of digging into it. Synthetic surface shoes have treated me way better.

And that RATS league is just a spinoff from a bunch of people who were sick of CoRec's management. It's basically the same league.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I hate turf because grass tears before your knee does, and your knee tears before turf does. Its so much easier to get stuck in, caught at an odd angle or snagged on turf.

Also, it hurts to get tackled more onto it, and the burns are really annoying.

This is from american football though :shrug:

Ive only played soccer on grass

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 10, 2015

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Waroduce posted:

I hate turf because grass tears before your knee does, and your knee tears before turf does. Its so much easier to get stuck in, caught at an odd angle or snagged on turf.

Also, it hurts to get tackled more onto it, and the burns are really annoying.

This is from american football though :shrug:

Ive only played soccer on grass

This is a function of wearing the wrong cleats. Wearing FG or SG grass cleats without hollow studs is asking for foot pressure and knee issues. Your studs don't really sink into the grass and release, they stab it and hold on. The AG cleats have hollow studs that allow the tire beads and grass to spread out and into the cleat which lets you get traction but lets your feet release. And there are way more of them in the plate so you're not playing on 8 knives for 90 minutes, you're playing on the flat ground but with traction.

http://www.soccercleats101.com/2012/04/17/nikes-ag-artificial-ground-soleplate/

the burns are loving horrible, you're 100% correct there. If you're playing in a league that allows slide tackling or you have a tendency to go to the ground anyway, tights or John Terrying your socks is the way to go.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

This is a function of wearing the wrong cleats. Wearing FG or SG grass cleats without hollow studs is asking for foot pressure and knee issues. Your studs don't really sink into the grass and release, they stab it and hold on. The AG cleats have hollow studs that allow the tire beads and grass to spread out and into the cleat which lets you get traction but lets your feet release. And there are way more of them in the plate so you're not playing on 8 knives for 90 minutes, you're playing on the flat ground but with traction.

http://www.soccercleats101.com/2012/04/17/nikes-ag-artificial-ground-soleplate/

the burns are loving horrible, you're 100% correct there. If you're playing in a league that allows slide tackling or you have a tendency to go to the ground anyway, tights or John Terrying your socks is the way to go.

Do you know if the youth leagues play on mostly ag as well? If so, time to set aside some money.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

How useful/dangerous is playing in indoor boots on an AG surface? I've never played on one but I will be next month and I've only got futsal boots. Should I be buying some AG boots to not ruin my completely hosed knees any worse?

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.
In my experience it's generally good traction as long as it's not raining/wet. If it's raining I generally use regular cleats but I might look into designated artificial turf boots on the advice here.

If you're playing indoor/arena though, generally the little rubber pellet things end up stacking against the walls and then it's basically like ice if you are wearing flats.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Bogan Krkic posted:

How useful/dangerous is playing in indoor boots on an AG surface? I've never played on one but I will be next month and I've only got futsal boots. Should I be buying some AG boots to not ruin my completely hosed knees any worse?

I played a lot of lower league games in my Bombas, which at least have an AG style hollow studs. I'd imagine Sambas or whatever would be tough, you'd slide all over the place. Those in between styles where it looks like a bunch of nubbins....i dunno. Plenty of players use them but I never have.

My biggest problem is futsal/turf shoes tend to not be built to handle going up against FG and SG hard cleat studs, and were getting shredded and damaged. Maybe the Bombas are particularly bad here, so ymmv. Once I switched to an actual outdoor style boot with an AG sole those problems went away. I did notice this in others using the in between turf styles so I guess I can comment on that!

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Yeah, I've got some Hypervenoms with the IC sole which is probably even more slippery than Sambas on normal surfaces. Might have to go down and test it out beforehand to prevent my legs from exploding worse than usual.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

I played a lot of lower league games in my Bombas, which at least have an AG style hollow studs. I'd imagine Sambas or whatever would be tough, you'd slide all over the place. Those in between styles where it looks like a bunch of nubbins....i dunno. Plenty of players use them but I never have.

My biggest problem is futsal/turf shoes tend to not be built to handle going up against FG and SG hard cleat studs, and were getting shredded and damaged. Maybe the Bombas are particularly bad here, so ymmv. Once I switched to an actual outdoor style boot with an AG sole those problems went away. I did notice this in others using the in between turf styles so I guess I can comment on that!

My Bomba Finales have held up well against regular boots for about a year so far. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Bobby Digital posted:

My Bomba Finales have held up well against regular boots for about a year so far. Maybe I'm just lucky.

I went through effectively 3 pairs in one 3 month season, thanks Nike! Ruined a right, then a left, and then by the end I another right from the white/blue franken-pair I was rocking. I was actually glad because I looked like a retard wearing the multi-boots.

It was always from the same circumstance - taking a hard shot as a defender tried to steal/tackle the ball. I would follow through as they brought their studs right onto the top of my boot, and I'd end up with a nice rip in the material.

If you're playing in the midfield and just dribbling around guys and/or making passes, the chance of this happening is a bit lower as your foot speed is probably not as out there as when you're making the passes. Same with playing on defense, you're normally the foot on top at that point.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bogan Krkic posted:

Yeah, I've got some Hypervenoms with the IC sole which is probably even more slippery than Sambas on normal surfaces. Might have to go down and test it out beforehand to prevent my legs from exploding worse than usual.

If there's even a hint of moisture you're going to be slipping everywhere.

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

I just end up with an endless parade of Copa Team's. They aren't the greatest shoe for my control, but they're hardy enough to handle 9 consecutive months of rainy FieldTurf and the traction's not terrible.

vulturesrow posted:

Do you know if the youth leagues play on mostly ag as well? If so, time to set aside some money.

Every outdoor youth league I've seen plays on grass. Even with the adult leagues banished to the land of wind and pellets, those grass fields end up looking pretty sorry by the end of the fall.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Any shoe recommendations for playing on gym floor?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

cosmicjim posted:

Any shoe recommendations for playing on gym floor?

Anything with IC soles. I love the Hypervenoms, best boots I've had for yonks

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

Bogan Krkic posted:

I love the Hypervenoms, best boots I've had for yonks

Agreed, they're so good - light like my old boots but with a little padding for protection which I never realised was so absent from the Vapors. Honestly, the number of nails I've lost to stampers over the last few years in my Vapors beggars belief

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

So glad it's starting to warm up again and I can get back to 4 games a week. At one point I got in 3 games in 2 months. Just awful.

I've become a forward over the last few years (due to speed), and I've figured out most of the runs/positioning/finishing, and this years goal is to be able to take on more players. I'm fairly neutralized when starved of service, so I need to be able to create something outta nothing every once in a while

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Ungratek posted:

So glad it's starting to warm up again and I can get back to 4 games a week. At one point I got in 3 games in 2 months. Just awful.

I've become a forward over the last few years (due to speed), and I've figured out most of the runs/positioning/finishing, and this years goal is to be able to take on more players. I'm fairly neutralized when starved of service, so I need to be able to create something outta nothing every once in a while

I've had my last five games rained out, and somewhere in there was a bye week too. Lucky to have lunch time games at work.

Fake edit: Ha, just checked the table and we're in third place with 3-0-0, with three games in hand.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Ungratek posted:

Idk what level you're playing at, but stepovers and just dropping a shoulder will buy you some space against most pub league defenders imo

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp
dear lord my season starts in 2 days and I am woefully out of fitness

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Parody Threads posted:

dear lord my season starts in 2 days and I am woefully out of fitness
Fartleks.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I haven't played in months due to this unusually long and poo poo winter. I'm gonna be terrible this weekend.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

So I need to get some new boots for a 3G pitch and I was looking for suggestions/recommendations about what to get.

Been using an old pair of Predators to this point (c. 2008ish) so something with a similar fit/feel would be nice.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
What is a quality sock brand? I play pickup once a week so I'm not looking for anything crazy. That being said, I've just been using my Balega running socks and they aren't cutting it.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I've got some Nike drifit ones and I honestly prefer my lovely cheap Santa Cruz skateboard socks to play in

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I also have some nikes but prefer cheap umbros, I have a few pairs and it's just white/colored socks with the umbro logo in the shins

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Finally got a Sunday League team :woop:

Haven't played since November and my first match is in an hour (8am)

I'm gonna die :woop:

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

So, after doing my MCL and fracturing my knee in February I'm finally back playing football. Played today in terrible weather and managed to bang home a 35 yarder. We lost 3-1 and butchered a ton of opportunities but it felt pretty good to play and score again :unsmith:

I actually gave serious thought to giving up after I did my knee, it's my second horrible injury since snapping my Achilles a few years ago. At almost thirty-five I definitely have lost most of my pace and with the knee going my agility is hosed. Glad I've kept with it though, I'd miss it too much I think.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
loving hell.

I gave up on fives after I hosed up my ankle in August. It still swells up when I'm doing other exercise for some reason. I have no excuse if you're back playing after all that.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Chas McGill posted:

loving hell.

I gave up on fives after I hosed up my ankle in August. It still swells up when I'm doing other exercise for some reason. I have no excuse if you're back playing after all that.

Honestly you should get back into it. I don't want to be old(er) and look back with regret that I didn't keep playing. Even if you're just playing at a social level it's worth it.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I underwent physical therapy for my chronic ankle problems and it makes a world of difference. Definitely don't throw in the towel, Chas.

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.
I have a propensity to roll my left ankle when playing. See a doctor/physio, but you might look into semi-rigid ankle braces, they work as a prophylactic against sprains. I got one for my left ankle and it definitely helps. It's like taping your ankle except it doesn't pull loose after 2 minutes. They cost about $35-40. The only downside is that it smells real bad because it basically gets as sweaty as a sock but I only have one so I don't/can't wash it every time I use it. Someone was telling me about shin guards with this support built in too, but I haven't seen them.

I'm in my 30's and have a lot of the same issues that other people here mention - previous knee surgery, relatively out of shape, fear of injury, but still want to play. I don't know if futsal is a thing outside of Portland, but if you have a nearby facility, I'd recommend trying it out. The longer I'm playing it the less desire I have to play outdoor/arena soccer. Smaller pitch/court, less of an aerial game, more touches and goalkeeper being less of a pariah. It's not risk free obviously, but there's way less long, full-speed runs and fewer of those 50/50 balls where people build up some momentum and you're just cringing waiting for the collision.

Also unrelated to the game part, I like how indoor facilities/leagues are at the same place every week. Some of the outdoor leagues here (and in Seattle) sending you to pitches an hour away during rush hour traffic is annoying as poo poo. Indoor does suck in summer when it's like 90 degrees with no air conditioning though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Yeah I need to get it sorted out because I want to start training for 10k etc soon and the thing swells up way too much for an injury that should be healed.

Easy to put things like physio off for a niggling injury though.