Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Augus posted:

I'm pretty sure you'd have to be Hitler to look at Yoshi's Wooly World and not want it. Don't be a Hitler

Said someone who has never played a Yoshi game past the only good one on SNES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

This is the good one

It has to be

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Taint Reaper, why don't you reap the taints of your enemies, not your allies

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

The Taint Reaper posted:

I still think Xenoblade is going to wind up being my only Wii-U purchase for 2015. Everything since Bayonetta 2 has been pretty garbage exclusives.

Game looks good, but i am hoping star fox is not some strange experiment like command and assault. I don't care if it's a clone of star fox 64 at least that game was good.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

yoshi's cantoloupe run for n64 was fun. it was a fun game

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

10 minutes of Yoshi and Poochy

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Oops, they forgot to put in enemies!

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

The first collectable is hidden behind an invisible wall. This does not bode well for completionists. On the other hand, Poochy now fetches collectables, making it the best collectathon.

Also, Nintendo games have the best graphics.

Tengames fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 25, 2015

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Yes yes yes, well into that Yoshi game.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

So far Good-Feel has made Wario Land: Shake It! and Kirby's Epic Yarn, which were both excellent. I doubt Woolly World will be any different

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Looks okay but after the last 4 Yoshi games I'm not actually going to get it for more than ten bucks.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Heran Bago posted:

Looks okay but after the last 4 Yoshi games I'm not actually going to get it for more than ten bucks.

This one looks like a note-for-note redux of Island minus Baby Mario and plus the yarn art. Not sure if that's a minus or a plus.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

A Big... Dog posted:

Yes yes yes, well into that Yoshi game.

I snagged a preorder for the version that comes with a Wool Yoshi Amiibo. I dont really care either way that it's an amiibo, just that its an actual wool Yoshi :allears:.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Poochy Ain't Stupid

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Yooooo this video looks sick. Bit on the easy side so far but still looks fun as hell.
e: and you can aim while you're moving, for that guy that was doubting

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 25, 2015

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Last night, I decided to be weird.

My son is 6, and we put an old tube tv in his room and a Wii so he can watch Netflix from time to time. I took a classic controller, wrapped it on gold foil that we had from some chocolates purchased on Mother's Day, I put on a ratty robe that I had and went into his room before he had to go to bed. All of the lights were off. I sat in front of his tv, purchased the first Zelda game, and downloaded it. He said nothing, just stared at the screen. I started the game, and motioned for him to sit near me. I read the story text crawl in an ominous voice and pointed at the controller.

"You must find the Triforce and save the princess," I said. He unwrapped the controller and gasped. As he started to play, he asked me questions. "Where do I go?", I said, "Go where you must." "Where is the princesss?", I said, "That is up to you, hero." He found the first sword, wandered into the spooky tree castle, and I helped him defeat the dragon there. I turned off the tv, wrapped the controller again, put it on the shelf and said, "more tomorrow."

It owned.

E: Also, he has said nothing about it to his mother this morning.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 25, 2015

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Firstborn posted:

My son is 6, and we put an old tube tv in his room and a Wii so he can watch Netflix from time to time. I took a classic controller, wrapped it on gold foil that we had from some chocolates purchased on Mother's Day, I put on a ratty robe that I had and went into his room before he had to go to bed. All of the lights were off. I sat in front of his tv, purchased the first Zelda game, and downloaded it. He said nothing, just stared at the screen. I started the game, and motioned for him to sit near me. I read the story text crawl in an ominous voice and pointed at the controller.

"You must find the Triforce and save the princess," I said. He unwrapped the controller and gasped. As he started to play, he asked me questions. "Where do I go?", I said, "Go where you must." "Where is the princesss?", I said, "That is up to you, hero." He found the first sword, wandered into the spooky tree castle, and I helped him defeat the dragon there. I turned off the tv, wrapped the controller again, put it on the shelf and said, "more tomorrow."

It owned.

just wanna quote this before you realize how loving creepy that is and edit it out

like, I get that you're trying to be a Good Dad here but the way you wrote it just sounds...off

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'm not going to edit it. It was fun, all I did was play Legend of Zelda for the first time with my son. If it sounds creepy, that's on you. Don't project your dad touching your little peter onto my family, tia. Sorry you had a dumb gay dad.

E: He has played Pokemon Y on my 3DS and I didn't think he'd get into the 2D sprites. Everything was intuitive for him, and he started yelling and getting visibly tense dodging skeletons in the first dungeon.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 25, 2015

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

MinibarMatchman posted:

hahaha this is loving amazing

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ouncement_at_e3

Project CARS at 23 FPS on Wiiu, developer pretty much bullshitted everyone. Never gonna come out now for the console. I wasn't gonna buy it on WiiU as is but still sucks for some people

Came as no surprise. Even PS4/XBone had a hard time running the photorealistic car simulator smoothly.

Katana Gomai posted:

just wanna quote this before you realize how loving creepy that is and edit it out

like, I get that you're trying to be a Good Dad here but the way you wrote it just sounds...off

Sounds like someone is sour he didn't have the coolest dad in the world.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I guess I failed in trying to write it like some adventure or something, but it was fun and 0% creepy, I promise. :shrug: He woke up early this morning and was searching for the controller, but when I told him it was something we'll get through together, he kind of grinned and nodded. Maybe I should've started with Ocarina of Time? I don't know.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Maybe don't push old gay poo poo games on your son?

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Firstborn posted:

I'm not going to edit it. It was fun, all I did was play Legend of Zelda for the first time with my son. If it sounds creepy, that's on you. Don't project your dad touching your little peter onto my family, tia. Sorry you had a dumb gay dad.

E: He has played Pokemon Y on my 3DS and I didn't think he'd get into the 2D sprites. Everything was intuitive for him, and he started yelling and getting visibly tense dodging skeletons in the first dungeon.

Well I thought it was a very cool Dad thing to do Firstborn, though I might be biased because my parents never played games with me or anything.

Lately I've been seeing more about kids playing video games, like Red Letter Media's review of Shovel Knight and looking up Splatoon videos I found Family Gamer TV. It's been really neat to hear the parents talk about how excited their kids were when they figured out something on their own in games like Zelda. I don't have kids myself so I don't have any real perspective on the situation, but I hope that games would teach kids to try things on their own and figure things out, rather than just being colors and noise to keep them quiet. I'm glad Nintendo still makes games like that.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

and you can aim while you're moving, for that guy that was doubting

excellent. i wasn't completely sold before but now i know this is gonna own

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Maybe don't push old gay poo poo games on your son?

I'm open to suggestions. I think I'm partial to the Zelda games on NES because when I was his age/a little older, my grandmother would play the Zelda games and I'd watch. She wouldn't want me messing up her file and I wasn't very good at it, and also she has a lot of grandchildren. It became a thing just us. I asked her one time why she picked Zelda, and she tapped a finger on the cartridge with a picture of a jeweled sword and said, "I like the sword!" My grandmother didn't like fantasy stuff at all, so I thought it was adorable.

RE: RLM's Shovel Knight review - I saw that, too. Maybe that's where I got the idea. My son has watched me play like Dark Souls and stuff before and seemed excited, but I wanted a game that easy enough to where he could play it himself. I have Shovel Knight, but I think some of the precise jumps would actually give him trouble.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 25, 2015

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

CatsPajamas posted:

but I hope that games would teach kids to try things on their own and figure things out, rather than just being colors and noise to keep them quiet. I'm glad Nintendo still makes games like that.

have you heard of Minecraft

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Firstborn posted:

I'm open to suggestions.

RE: RLM's Shovel Knight review - I saw that, too. Maybe that's where I got the idea. My son has watched me play like Dark Souls and stuff before and seemed excited, but I wanted a game that easy enough to where he could play it himself. I have Shovel Knight, but I think some of the precise jumps would actually give him trouble.

Yeah, Jack in RLM's review said his son had trouble with the precise jumps too, but was happy when he finally managed it. If your son likes the first Zelda, A Link to the Past would be good for being familiar mechanics-wise but still being a new experience. And you mentioned OOT so of course there's all the 3D Zeldas, but those are more complex than the 2D ones of course.

I'd think pretty much all the VC games would be okay for kids since they're the games our generation grew up with, but they might be frustrating because the standards were different then. It seems like the newer multiplayer games for the Wii U like NSMBU, 3D World, Hyrule Warriors, etc. might be good games to play with kids that have less of a frustration factor (at least until the latter levels).

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

The Taint Reaper posted:

Nintendo must have gotten 343 to run the Splatoon Servers

Why Nintendo? Why did you pick the wrong Microsoft owned company?

You clearly didn't play MCC. Splatoon worked before release with one hiccup. MCC almost works 100% after 6 months.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Why didn't I think of Link to the Past? What a great idea!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
TV in a kids bedroom is a bad idea generally.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Yooooo this video looks sick. Bit on the easy side so far but still looks fun as hell.

Didn't they say they were going to have a hard mode?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Thank the lord, for the Second Coming of Yoshi is upon us.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

smdh at the guy who buys 3DS games without checking the genre and thinks the original Zelda is somehow a homosexual

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
NES games are good. The new Yoshi game looks good. Nintendo is good. Protecting your taint is good.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Firstborn posted:

extremely rude, please post respectfully

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Katana Gomai posted:

Nah, it's fine.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Firstborn posted:

It owned.

"mom, dad is weird as gently caress"

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

greatn posted:

TV in a kids bedroom is a bad idea generally.

Wii U General Discussion - Parenting Advice

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

noirstronaut posted:

"mom, dad is weird as gently caress"

I'd be fine with this. Also I somewhat agree on the tv in the kid's room, but he isn't allowed to watch it unless we'd be watching tv anyway, and he gets a special little pride of being the host because it's in his room.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

majormonotone posted:

Wii U General Discussion - Bad Parenting Advice

Fixed that up. Except for this Firstborn guy, he seems cool and probably not a pedophile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Dads are goof balls, news at 11

• Locked thread