Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Why is there apparently a "combat mode" that Gerald engages/disengages according to completely opaque rules? Why can I not parry as soon as I take my sword out? Why do I first need to get up into people's faces before I actually start parrying and not using witcher sense? Hey Gerald, I want to deflect those arrow, you fucker. Gerald, why do you keep putting your sword away? gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Got almost 30 hours into this game and I haven't even been to Novigrad yet, there's just so much to do and it's all just so detailed. GOTY all years. Few things though that some people may or may not have mentioned already:

-would love to see a storage to hold extra items
-is there any point to hold onto the million notes and journals in the usable items tab, or can I just toss them out with impunity? Kinda wish they went into a notes tab in your glossary instead of clogging the inventory
-game has frozen in the middle of cutscenes about 3 times since I started playing, end up having to restart my computer. Hasn't happened often but still kinda annoying. Anyone else have a similar problem and did 1.04 fix it?
-wish there was a separate option for aiming x and y axis controls. I play with the camera x axis inverted and that's fine normally but it just feels slow and awkward to aim the crossbow manually with inverted x

Edit: also is there a point to Gwent or is it just a fun diversion with no real rewards (read: sweet rear end gear) that is separate from the rest of the game? Haven't played it since the tutorial of it in White Orchard.

Mr. Funktastic fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 25, 2015

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
There's an easter egg in the graveyard where you get a monster contract for a grave hag and witcher impersonator forgot the towns name, its more northern and the site has a singular crypt with a chest at it's back inside. Angel statues appear, change orientation to face you whenever your camera goes off them. I chortled a bit.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Manatee Cannon posted:

You misunderstand my meaning. You can't fast travel from anywhere, as in you have to find the fast travel markers. If you have a lot of stuff but are out in the middle of nowhere, you just have to suck it up and head back to town or the nearest marker. This can suck a lot when you're exploring the islands in Skellige by boat.

You can fast travel in the boat to ports.

Badly Jester posted:

loving hell, Whoreson. Did anyone not kill him? It felt wrong killing him in cold blood, but he was such a degenerate piece of poo poo, he simply had to go.

After seeing him, how could you have no reason? That's not cold blood.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
That first level alchemy skill that increases max toxicity based on how many formulas you know is great. It gave me like +76 max toxicity with one point invested and now I can use decoctions without any downside.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Pole-ish fantasy.

Now to go back to not reading the thread 'til I finish.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Magical Zero posted:

Is anyone else really struggling with the soft target lock with mouse/keyboard? It seems like the smallest of camera movements will change the target you're attacking, even if the new target is outside your POV. And since every attack has these massively long animations I often find myself jumping in the wrong direction during combat with groups of enemies. It's ridiculously annoying. The hard target lock limits camera movement and visibility too much so I can't get comfortable with it either.

Yeah, I was complaining about that earlier in the thread.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Went looking for sidequests this morning, ended up wandering down the coast in a beautiful sunset light while it rained and soothing music played, killing "bandits" (wink) from horseback and looting the shipwrecks they had claimed, and watching drowners swim gracefully through calm seas.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

I love forest of rain.Foevar...

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Riso posted:

You can fast travel in the boat to ports.

I never knew that, thanks for the heads up

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Magical Zero posted:

Is anyone else really struggling with the soft target lock with mouse/keyboard? It seems like the smallest of camera movements will change the target you're attacking, even if the new target is outside your POV. And since every attack has these massively long animations I often find myself jumping in the wrong direction during combat with groups of enemies. It's ridiculously annoying. The hard target lock limits camera movement and visibility too much so I can't get comfortable with it either.

It looks like it's the softest of soft locks. Like, you have to aim into the direction of the enemy with WASD on top of being locked on to it. I've thrown many a igni into the opposite direction from the enemy because I was running that way.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

I sell just about everything and it works well. I keep at least five of every crafting mat and sell the excess and all junk every chance I get. Shopkeeper has gold? Better sell stuff.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
This game is utterly amazing how it all connects together sometimes. I discovered and killed a monster on an Island/peninsula thing on Skellige without looking at any notice boards, got the mission to go turn it in to a town I haven't been to before, so I head over. I walk into the tavern and get accosted by some xenophobes, manage to turn in the contract, then all of a sudden (side quest spoilers)the xenophobes attack me, I kill them in self defense. Because of this I'm then sent to ANOTHER place I haven't been to before and put in jail, manage to speak to the Jarl who says he'll give me my freedom if I go help his son out on some sort of quest. One thing leads to another and I'm in a cave taking a shitload of hallucinogens and facing Geralt's greatest fear.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Yeah maybe Geralt should look into finally canceling his David Hayter's Metal Gear Solid School of Voice Acting membership.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I really wish Geralt didn't have such weird collision detection, especially around his feet/legs.

It's always really annoying when you bust down a door but get stuck because there's like, a wooden plank on the floor.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Baron Bifford posted:

I have found out how to do this. Go to C:\User\You\Documents\The Witcher 3\ and edit the input.settings file. Find IK_Space=(Action=CbtRoll) and change it to IK_Space=(Action=Dodge), then find IK_Alt=(Action=Dodge) and change that to IK_Alt=(Action=CbtRoll).

A couple of warnings:
1) Make a backup of the original file before you start messing with it in case things go wrong.
2) Make a different backup of your changed file...supposedly the new patch can screw things up? (I haven't verified this personally.)
3) If you don't use find/replace while messing with input.settings, you may not get everything; keys can be bound in multiple places.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Broose posted:

There's an easter egg in the graveyard where you get a monster contract for a grave hag and witcher impersonator forgot the towns name, its more northern and the site has a singular crypt with a chest at it's back inside. Angel statues appear, change orientation to face you whenever your camera goes off them. I chortled a bit.

Which town is this? I did the first quest you mentioned, but haven't seen the second one at all.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT3BbmGf9Ag

Guess what weapon I just got.

bobthethurd
Dec 27, 2007
Lovable Bob.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Pole-ish fantasy.

Now to go back to not reading the thread 'til I finish.

Skellige gambeson bro-five. :hfive:

Just crafted that thing in bloody baron's place.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Turned the difficulty down to medium. I don't mind a hard game, but repeated dying + 60 second load times is getting reeeaally tiresome.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I'm starting to believe this game is never going to end, I'm still getting new quests after doing those two missions that felt like an ending, so much content

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003
So, I've been playing the hell out of this game so far and loving it -- especially the Baron quest-line. Then I got to Novigrad and started doing the main quests there.

Now I'm bored as hell. It's just a long series of "go here" quests followed by long scenes of dialogue. And compared to the Baron quests, it's all just really boring, monotonous stuff. It's just "Get quest, go to marker, hit 'next' to plough through bad dialogue, get quest' over and over. It's kind of picked up a bit with some big fights (which, to be honest, I think I get myself into because I'm not bothering to try to work out the less brutish way to solve problems), but there's no exploring, no monsters, no adventure.

I was really excited to play last night, and I spent the whole evening just trying to get past this part. I'm getting kind of worried that I've just burnt myself out on the game. I've done so many of the quests outside the main story line that I'm way over-levelled for the main quest-line.

Do I get to get back to adventuring soon? Because I don't know if I can deal with another evening of Novigrad politics....

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~

Novigrad Map with all marked locations. I had no idea there were more than 2 armorers.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

So that's where Vivaldi's bank was. I'd never looked very hard for it but it'd be nice to trade these useless coins in for real money.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Really bummed (save import)Letho didn't show up during that one side quest. I chose the save just before the final confrontation with him in Witcher 2 since after that the game just ends. Oh well, I'll figure out something on my second playthrough.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

This game just drains hours away. It's a little frightening.

I don't think there's too much in Novigrad that gets failed if you bumrush a few main plot quests. You can go right to Skellige if Novigrad/Velen are starting to feel stale. After a little change of scenery I was ready to go back and mop up some of the overwhelming mass of city quests.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Bort Bortles posted:

I have been trying to do it before I move on to Novigrad now that I finished the Bloody Baron/Crones storyline. The thing is, I usually get my rear end kicked or barely win a game and earn a lovely card. I have no heroes, a catapult worth 8 points, two other siege engines worth six, one Dun Banner Medic, two Crinfried(spelling?) Reavers, two Blue Stripes Commandos, a bunch of 5 power Ranged types, two decoys, a Dethmold, and a bunch of poo poo.

If you have two commander's horns and a clear weather (that's probably default) in the deck you should be pretty powerful. Spies are some of the best cards too since you can use them on the round you're planning to flop and load your deck with cards. If the enemy plays a spy on you remember to decoy it or take it with Dun Banner and use it on them. Gwent is mostly about never missing a strategic advantage because if you do something pointless even once it could cost you.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

theDOWmustflow posted:

Novigrad Map with all marked locations. I had no idea there were more than 2 armorers.
The alchemist just outside the city gates there actually pays a lot for trophies (350-500 each), so if you're in need of some cash, he's great. He only seems to be available during the morning hours, though.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So how do you know what act your in? Does something pop up telling you?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

JasonV posted:

So, I've been playing the hell out of this game so far and loving it -- especially the Baron quest-line. Then I got to Novigrad and started doing the main quests there.

Now I'm bored as hell. It's just a long series of "go here" quests followed by long scenes of dialogue. And compared to the Baron quests, it's all just really boring, monotonous stuff. It's just "Get quest, go to marker, hit 'next' to plough through bad dialogue, get quest' over and over. It's kind of picked up a bit with some big fights (which, to be honest, I think I get myself into because I'm not bothering to try to work out the less brutish way to solve problems), but there's no exploring, no monsters, no adventure.

I was really excited to play last night, and I spent the whole evening just trying to get past this part. I'm getting kind of worried that I've just burnt myself out on the game. I've done so many of the quests outside the main story line that I'm way over-levelled for the main quest-line.

Do I get to get back to adventuring soon? Because I don't know if I can deal with another evening of Novigrad politics....

I do think that Novigrad was kind of a change of pace - the story revolves more around intrigue and "human monsters" once you're there. I still found it enjoyable (I like the "heist" storyline, for example) but appreciation for the writing is entirely a taste thing. I would say that if you haven't, break up some of that part by doing a few of the contracts that you pick up in the area, head back out into Velen and do POI's, and do some of the treasure hunts for witcher gear. There really is a variety of types of content you can take on, and I think that the experience is enriched by moving between activities instead of grinding through one type at a time. For example, I decided to take a break from the city today to go on a treasure hunt for the upgraded Griffin School patterns and had a blast - took me all over the Velen map.

On top of that, know that the game switches back to a more Velen/White Orchard-like vibe once you head over to Skellige. Well, that vibe mashed with Skyrim's aesthetic and a shitload of Irish/Scottish accents.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

JasonV posted:

You can always head to Skellige, nothing but adventure there.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

GhostDog posted:

Why is there apparently a "combat mode" that Gerald engages/disengages according to completely opaque rules? Why can I not parry as soon as I take my sword out? Why do I first need to get up into people's faces before I actually start parrying and not using witcher sense? Hey Gerald, I want to deflect those arrow, you fucker. Gerald, why do you keep putting your sword away? gently caress.
This is pissing me off to no end. It is really loving infuriating.

Spiky Ooze posted:

If you have two commander's horns and a clear weather (that's probably default) in the deck you should be pretty powerful. Spies are some of the best cards too since you can use them on the round you're planning to flop and load your deck with cards. If the enemy plays a spy on you remember to decoy it or take it with Dun Banner and use it on them. Gwent is mostly about never missing a strategic advantage because if you do something pointless even once it could cost you.
I have one lovely spy and no Commander's horns. I've never even seen a Commander's Horn played or for sale. I am so down on Gwent I did not play the Baron before I finished his questline so I failed that part of the one Gwent mission and now I really dont feel like playing the game (the game being Gwent, not W3; other than the above issue and inventory being a nightmare the game is fantastic) anymore. It is neat but if you have bad luck and are stuck with lovely cards it is just no fun.

edit2: I swear I've spent more time in this game looking at a loading screen than I have playing simply because fighting drowners and rotfiends is such a loving pain and because any fight where the enemies have archers I have to reload a dozen times because I lose half my health before the fight starts.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 25, 2015

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Baron Bifford posted:

I have found out how to do this. Go to C:\User\You\Documents\The Witcher 3\ and edit the input.settings file. Find IK_Space=(Action=CbtRoll) and change it to IK_Space=(Action=Dodge), then find IK_Alt=(Action=Dodge) and change that to IK_Alt=(Action=CbtRoll).
Well, thanks a lot but i just updated to 1.04 and it fixed that key binding menu problem. :v:

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~

VanillaGorilla posted:

On top of that, know that the game switches back to a more Velen/White Orchard-like vibe once you head over to Skellige. Well, that vibe mashed with Skyrim's aesthetic and a shitload of Irish/Scottish accents.

I like that the devs decided to use the Norse-Gaelic backdrop which I didn't even know was a thing until I played Crusader Kings 2. Many of the locations are named after British Isles islands, like Skellig itself.

E: oops Faroe is scandinavian

theDOWmustflow fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 25, 2015

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

Failing the Baron's objective in Gwent is not a problem. Sooner or later the quest updates and tells you where to get his card and a note telling you where the next opponents are. Play some lovely no-name merchants in west bumblefuck parts of Velen and get slightly better cards, play rural innkeeps, skip oxenfurt until you've at least finished the Velen gwent quest which gives you a useful hero among other things.

It goes from hopeless to easy very fast.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

theDOWmustflow posted:

I like that the devs decided to use the Norse-Gaelic backdrop which I didn't even know was a thing until I played Crusader Kings 2. Many of the locations are named after British Isles islands, like Faroe and Skellig itself.

It's Norse names, there's a few locations that are directly named after Norwegian places, like Larvik, Fyresdal and Lofoten.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So griffin gear quest, how am I supposed to get it with the wyvern breathing down my neck

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Some free dlc is dropping this week?

:confuoot:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
By killing the wyvern?

I mean you can try cheesing the hell out of his aggro range or movement pattern I guess, but 'how do I get past this monster in my way?' seems like a bizarre question to ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

JasonV posted:

Things get extremely and immediately awesome the second you wrap up the main quest in Novigrad.