Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
The fact that Brienne was in this episode for that one forlorn look at the tower is kinda funny. Reek continues to be garbage and I hope Sansa stabs him right after he tells her Bran and Rickon are alive

Dorne was less lovely this time! Why 3 Sand Snakes get what looked like a 2 bed cell is beyond me, and it's weird to give Jaime a fancy cell but not even bother to treat his bro. I hope Dr Bashir calls them o using poisoned weapons on a mission where they'd only be fighting loyal Dornishmen

This episode will endure forever in the records as the episode where Stannis proves he is just a hypocritical rear end in a top hat. Hooray!

I wonder who Littlefinger is offering to the Queen of Thorns. Robin? Uniting the North (once he claims it and marries Sansa), Vale and the Reach?

Neorxenawang posted:

That's all there is to his character, though. He's basically Joffrey with the evil amped up and the nuance turned down. Iwan Rheon is great and is doing an awesome performance, but Ramsay is just about the least interesting important character in the series.

He's like Joffrey, but older and smarter. Psychopaths can and do succeed and achieve positions of power even to this day in our world. It's not weird that in a setting as brutal as Westeros, one as sadistic as Ramsay would be thriving.

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW

steinrokkan posted:

I don't like the Sparrows, but I love the High Sparrow. :swoon:
Jonathan Pryce is marvelous and probably my fave character at the moment. He's frightening and inspiring in equal measure. Like a rogue AI that logically decides that the most efficient way to eradicate corruption is to wipe the slate clean.

I also like the Sparrows and think the inclusion of Inquisition-like maniacs to the story (and the suggestion of impending revolution by the people tired of all this bullshit) is one of the few highlights of this season.

Although I really wish they'd sown some of the following in past seasons, the image of villagers being herded by monks with clubs is great:

Anonymous Zebra posted:

The Faith Militant makes more sense in the books because there is this kind of slow lead-up to the "small folk" eventually outright rebelling against the crown. Recall that the first three books spend a lot of time focusing on the grand schemes of all these nobles and kings while the kingdoms get more and more hosed up. There are tiny hints that things are going wrong though, as seen from the POVs of characters on the road (Arya, Jaime, Brienne). First you see the way that peasants are being brutalized by an unleashed Gregor Clegane from the POV of Arya (the show actually skipped past a lot of the brutal poo poo from those chapters), culminating in her meeting the Brotherhood without Banners which is actively fighting against all the war criminals that are roaming the lands. By the time Jaime is on his way back to Kings Landing, there are roaming bands of former Stark men and Lannister men moving around the countryside, preying on people and disrupting the king's peace.

By the time Brienne begins her journey to find Sansa, the remnants of the Stark army, Lannister army, Tully army, and Baratheon army have formed roving gangs of bandits (often made up of men from all those different factions), and the roads are completely unsafe to travel. All the inns have been sacked or are being used as bandit bases, and all the septs and religious sites have been looted and burnt. Even worse, the major houses that used to keep order in their respective lands have been gutted and killed basically causing a complete breakdown in the social order and making most of the countryside unlivable. Early in book 4 Brienne actually starts to see these large roving gangs of pilgrims that are being protected by religious men with cudgels. Eventually they all arrive in Kings Landing, and the High Sparrow is amongst them. Essentially the Faith Militant is the direct response to all the poo poo that has been happening since the story began, and it actually makes organic sense within the story.

EDIT: And then this plot collides directly with Cersei, who doesn't understand the nuance of what is happening and completely fucks up in handling it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Al Nipper posted:

Although I really wish they'd sown some of the following in past seasons, the image of villagers being herded by monks with clubs is great:

They seem to have no money for crowds these days, really. No money to show anything in Dorne but empty rooms. And in Essos the fighting pit scene had an audience of like ten people

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They have huge crowds in the outdoor shots of Meereen.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

They seem to have no money for crowds these days, really. No money to show anything in Dorne but empty rooms. And in Essos the fighting pit scene had an audience of like ten people

Hopefully they're saving the extras budget for the battle at the end.

I think the Water Gardens are supposed to be fairly empty though, it's like a summer palace. Probably just those guards and some servants around

What happened to the paramour lady?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Bobo the Red posted:

What happened to the paramour lady?

Probably getting a stern talking-to from Professor Javier.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Which is weird, since the show is shot in places with significant-to-massive unemployment. Free hot dogs and some spare costumes would be all that's needed to fill out the background.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

To be fair, the fighting pit scene was supposed to be a preliminary fight that they didn't seem to be expecting many people to go to (least of all Daenerys).

Very, very glad we didn't see any fat pink masts with this latest episode!

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
The fighting pit we saw the episode was the equivalent of a community basketball court. Hizdahr mentions that the rulers traditionally visited these lower pits to 'honour the the fighters' or something.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
The only good guys on this show are The Faith Militant and Stannis but that's pretty much it.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Bobo the Red posted:

Psychopaths can and do succeed and achieve positions of power even to this day in our world. It's not weird that in a setting as brutal as Westeros, one as sadistic as Ramsay would be thriving.

I think that's the most important aspect of Ramsay on this show. He's not particularly nuanced, and his psychopathic tendencies are absurdly extreme. But the point is: the system rewards him for this. People with rigid codes of honor and baseline senses of decency tend to find themselves stepped on (particularly the Starks), while the blatantly monstrous and dishonorable ones (Littlefinger or the Boltons) secure power and keep it easily. Dany's plotline is also very centrally concerned with this dilemma.

midnightclimax posted:

No, worrying about smelling bad as a marketing invention. Don't make me fact check it, a university lecturer dropped it once.

That's...only sort of true. The inventions of things like deodorant and Listerine fabricated new insecurity over those specific aspects of personal hygiene. Within the last ~150 or so years.

But it's not entirely accurate that nobody bathed in the medieval era and that was totally accepted. Public bathhouses, as a cultural institution dating back to Rome, remained popular well into the medieval period. They did eventually fall out of fashion in much of Europe, due to Catholic insecurities over sexuality and the general public health fear of disease. But saunas as a source of cleanliness in Scandinavia pretty much never went away. And bathhouses in general resurged following the Crusades, after Europeans were exposed to them in the Middle East.

The idea that everyone in Medieval Europe was a revolting, poo poo-covered slob who literally never bathed was really only true at certain points in time. I wouldn't be surprised if something like Castle Black had some sort of sauna / bath that people used, if for no other reasons because it's below freezing all day, every day, and the North of Westeros seems heavily influenced by Scandinavian culture.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Junkfist posted:

The only good guys on this show are The Faith Militant and Stannis but that's pretty much it.

I think they're playing up the Faith Militant's homophobia/puritanism this season specifically because otherwise the audience would think "why exactly shouldn't I want these guys to win again?"

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
Wait, whats Cersei's crime? Shagging cousins is fair game, and she is a widow, so she can't be an adulterer. Did she tell Lancel about Jaime? Or is it a sex outside marriage thing?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

meatbag posted:

Wait, whats Cersei's crime? Shagging cousins is fair game, and she is a widow, so she can't be an adulterer. Did she tell Lancel about Jaime? Or is it a sex outside marriage thing?
In the season premiere, Lancel mentioned something about Robert's wine and the boar hunt.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

meatbag posted:

she was sleeping with lancel before robert died, as i recall

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

meatbag posted:

I am pretty sure the loving happened while married to King Robert assuming she was a virgin when married and did't gently caress Lancel when he was an infant, which is instant execution under Kings law and just adultery under the seven.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Junkfist posted:

The Faith Militant themselves are annoying with their whole robotic emotionlessness thing, but the High Sparrow is great and basically redeems the whole faction. It's ironic how in a universe full of schemers and lords and many-faced characters, a simple man with a simple, pure motive laid bare for all to see is so dangerous. You simply can't sway him, which makes all of the most powerful characters in Kings Landing powerless. Littlefinger better gtfo of dodge, or he's probably slated to be up on the chopping block soon too.

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
She was shagging Lancel while she was was married to Robert. Maybe shagging anyone other than your legal spouse is against the faith? She also had Lancel drug Robert's wine and murder is probably against the faith.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I think the reason this season feels like it's dragging is because it has to do with effects, not causes. The previous seasons were about big bombastic events and the lead up to them, like the Red Wedding or Tywin getting shot on the shitter. This season though hasn't really had any of those, instead it's focused on the aftermath of all those big events, and how that aftermath sucks for Westeros. Things we've explored this season:

-The battle at The Wall left the Night's Watch undermanned and with John in charge, and the result is he needs to piss off the entire watch by going and bringing south the very wildling they just got decimated by fighting against.
-Tywin's death left Cersei as the defacto leader of the throne. She proceeded to run it directly into the ground, and put power in the hands of religious fanatics who immediately turned on important nobles including herself. It's also let Tommen as little more than a puppet king hated by his people and without the man power to take back his own city.
-The Bolton's have secured their iron grip on the North, including securing Sansa as Ramsey's bride. The only force that can oppose them is Stannis, but...
-Stannis' decision to hit the Wall first and then march south ended up catching his men in a Blizzard, and now he's staring down the barrel of sacrificing his daughter or losing everything.
-Doure is poised on the edge of incurring the crown's wrath if the Sand Snakes are able to take revenge for Oberyn. Dr. Bashir has also spoken out vocally against the Sand Snakes, so if they get free it's very possible they may be looking at the death of their leader as well.
-Danny's poo poo rule has essentially put her city in open revolt, and ended up getting Selmey killed.

If HBO is aiming or 7-8 seasons like they said, then this is basically the tail end of Act II/beginning of Act III. Everybody is at their lowest point, and this season has mostly been about exploring that.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Cute n Popular posted:

She was shagging Lancel while she was was married to Robert. Maybe shagging anyone other than your legal spouse is against the faith? She also had Lancel drug Robert's wine and murder is probably against the faith.

You mean Jamie right? Cause I always assumed she was only shagging Jamie while married to Robert and when he got captured she turned to Lancel as a next best thing kinda thing.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Cersei is going to be charged with public drunkenness and generally rude behavior.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

meatbag posted:

They're first cousins. That's fair game in much of the real world but I wouldn't assume that's the case in Westeros.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

thebardyspoon posted:

You mean Jamie right? Cause I always assumed she was only shagging Jamie while married to Robert and when he got captured she turned to Lancel as a next best thing kinda thing.

Lancel was Robert's squire. On the hunt that Robert was killed Vary's or Tyrion I forget who implied Robert was given a large amount of wine so he would be drunk and killed by a boar. Lancel was the guy that was serving Robert the wine on the hunt.

The implication is that Cersei put him up to it to kill Robert. That's why Lancel is guilty about serving Robert the wine at the start of the season when he is talking to Cersei.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yall, I don't think the militant fundamentalist reactionary religious sect is necessarily adhering to the precepts of impartial and fair justice.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The latest episode was also a glimpse into an unglamorous side of Margaery. Her hair was awful.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

zoux posted:

Yall, I don't think the militant fundamentalist reactionary religious sect is necessarily adhering to the precepts of impartial and fair justice.
*Cool guy takes care of some noblemen* "Boohoo, why is he so mean to these people? No nobleman has ever done anything bad."
*The common people rise up against their oppressors* "Look at these crazy people, not respecting the proper way of things!"

This thread is more reactionary than the Tsars' court.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

AKA Pseudonym posted:

They're first cousins. That's fair game in much of the real world but I wouldn't assume that's the case in Westeros.

Nah, you can gently caress first cousins all you want. Cersei's mom was Tywin's first cousin, and Ned's parents were cousins too. CerseiXLancel is a crime because it was adultery.

e: oh and the conspiring to murder Robert

Lloyd Boner fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 25, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
The High Sparrow seems like he might be a legitimately cool dude, but it's easy to see how a regime he creates could swiftly devolve into a fascistic theocracy immediately after he died and a more power hungry, puritanical High Septon takes his place.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Vegetable posted:

The latest episode was also a glimpse into an unglamorous side of Margaery. Her hair was awful.

I think her throwing a bucket of urine may have been slightly less glamorous

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think her throwing a bucket of urine may have been slightly less glamorous

It was venison. Which Cersei had had a day earlier (i.e. table scraps).

Dancer
May 23, 2011

axelord posted:

Lancel was Robert's squire. On the hunt that Robert was killed Vary's or Tyrion I forget who implied Robert was given a large amount of wine so he would be drunk and killed by a boar. Lancel was the guy that was serving Robert the wine on the hunt.

The implication is that Cersei put him up to it to kill Robert. That's why Lancel is guilty about serving Robert the wine at the start of the season when he is talking to Cersei.

Hey so I've seen people mention this many times, but Ifail to see it? I know the amount of wine the kind drank on the hunt was discussed, but that seemed a perfectly natural thing for Robert. Is there any comment somewhere by GRRM or D&D or anyone else "official" that outright says "Cersei and Lancel conspired to kill him"?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i am a dreaded book reader

lancel and cersei deliberately conspired to kill robert, yes

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Dancer posted:

Hey so I've seen people mention this many times, but Ifail to see it? I know the amount of wine the kind drank on the hunt was discussed, but that seemed a perfectly natural thing for Robert. Is there any comment somewhere by GRRM or D&D or anyone else "official" that outright says "Cersei and Lancel conspired to kill him"?

The first episode of the season, when Lancel meets with Cersei, they talk about it.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Dancer posted:

The wine Robert was drinking was switched with something much stronger, and Lance was the one feeding it to him.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

JT Jag posted:

The High Sparrow seems like he might be a legitimately cool dude, but it's easy to see how a regime he creates could swiftly devolve into a fascistic theocracy immediately after he died and a more power hungry, puritanical High Septon takes his place.

It already is that way, sinners are getting put on the stake (or whatever happens to people who violate thou-shalt-nots in their bible) even though everyone does it, that includes commoners too. The High Sparrow is just wiping out the royal power base to make it easier for him to put forth his social agenda.

Olenna couldn't get anywhere because he really is a true believer who wants to remake the world.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Quabzor posted:

The wine Robert was drinking was switched with something much stronger, and Lance was the one feeding it to him.
He gives Robert "fortified wine", the real world equivalent being port, which typically has twice the ABV of normal wine.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Cake Attack posted:

i am a dreaded book reader

lancel and cersei deliberately conspired to kill robert, yes

Just because they did it in the books doesn't mean they did it in the show.

Lloyd Boner posted:

Nah, you can gently caress first cousins all you want. Cersei's mom was Tywin's first cousin, and Ned's parents were cousins too. CerseiXLancel is a crime because it was adultery.

e: oh and the conspiring to murder Robert

To be fair, both those marriages were under Targaryen rule, when the church was told to forget its dislike for incest. It wouldn't be super unreasonable for them to be against cousinfucking.

Dancer posted:

They definitely conspired to make sure he kept drinking and they probably switched the wine out for stronger stuff. Which Robert would have noticed, and its not like he was forced to drink, or that being drunk would necessarily make him die to a dumb boar, so I dunno.

Elephanthead posted:

I am pretty sure the loving happened while married to King Robert assuming she was a virgin when married and did't gently caress Lancel when he was an infant, which is instant execution under Kings law and just adultery under the seven.

Well, considering she grew up with Jaime, that first bit is a big assumption. Why else would Jaime become a Kingsguard if he wasn't chasing tail?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Bobo the Red posted:

I wonder who Littlefinger is offering to the Queen of Thorns. Robin? Uniting the North (once he claims it and marries Sansa), Vale and the Reach?

I'm thinking Oliver, basically saying "I'll get my boy to repent his confession."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I'm thinking Oliver, basically saying "I'll get my boy to repent his confession."

I know that the trial is still to come, but it did strike me as odd that the High Sparrow was willing to take the word of this one guy over both Loras and Margaery's as strong enough proof to imprison them both ahead of a formal trial. I mean, WE know what he is saying is true, but he offered no evidence beyond saying,"I had sex with Loras and the Queen knew about it." The Sparrows know he ran Littlefinger's brothel so in their mind he'd already be a known flesh-peddler and thus not somebody whose word they should trust, and Loras has just as much a public history of making eyes at pretty ladies (like giving the flower to Sansa) while Margaery has a proven history of caring for the common people and helping to feed the poor/look after orphans.

I mean, it's likely all this is gonna come out/be referenced at the trials anyway, and it would be pretty hilarious to see Margaery at least get off completely and be present to watch Cersei's trial, but it still struck me as weird how willing the High Sparrow was to believe Oliver's word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dallan Invictus posted:

I think they're playing up the Faith Militant's homophobia/puritanism this season specifically because otherwise the audience would think "why exactly shouldn't I want these guys to win again?"

It's pretty obvious they turned them into scarecrows fighting against the IRL issue of the day, compared to the more generic (in a good way) portrayal as a religious order in the source material (because HBO is very progressive when it comes to identity politics, you see, and must remind the audiences about it between softcore porn and pointless gore)

• Locked thread