Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

SquadronROE posted:

I've started getting into Bolt Action - it seems to be the right scale for me. I can actually pull together a French army that would be somewhat competitive (if only vs. Early war opponents). Aside from Warlord's site and Warlord minis, what's a good place to get minis from?

http://yhst-12000246778232.stores.yahoo.net/boacsese.html

This joint has really good prices. I asked about them once and no one seemed to have anything bad to say, although I haven't ordered from them personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
NWS as Flippy said, also you can get some stuff from Architects of War. They're really nice people, just mind the special order classification.

http://www.architectsofwar.com/french-2.aspx

Or order directly from the Perry Brothers.

Dirt Worshipper fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 25, 2015

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Awesome, thanks. I'll check those places out. I also was wondering if there were non-Warlord mini's that you guys knew worked well for the scale. I guess it's just 28mm?

Is the Finnish army in the "French and Other Allies" book? I saw the Norwegians, who are rather badass, but I don't recall the Finns.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Finns were an Axis power, so it's unlikely they'd be in an allied book.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Arquinsiel posted:

Wow, Christ. I need more sleep.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Arquinsiel posted:

I don't think they were, since they never signed the Axis agreement. They did fight alongside the Nazis, though mostly because they hated the Soviets.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

SquadronROE posted:

Wow, Christ. I need more sleep.

To be fair the Finns were allied with the Allies during the Winter War, then with the Axis during the Continuation War, then switched back to the Allies when it became clear the Nazis were getting crushed by the Russians.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Colonial Air Force posted:

I don't think they were, since they never signed the Axis agreement. They did fight alongside the Nazis, though mostly because they hated the Soviets.
Yeah but for the purposes of warmans games they're clearly Axis to save on books.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

SquadronROE posted:

Awesome, thanks. I'll check those places out. I also was wondering if there were non-Warlord mini's that you guys knew worked well for the scale. I guess it's just 28mm?

Is the Finnish army in the "French and Other Allies" book? I saw the Norwegians, who are rather badass, but I don't recall the Finns.

They're in Italy and the Axis.

There are tons of 28mm sources for ww2 soldiers. A source for a list is here:

http://wk.frothersunite.com/sc/pulp/ww2.htm

Some of the best alternatives from WLG: Foundry, 1st Corps, Black tree Design, Offensive Miniatures, Brigade Games, Crusader, Artizan, Perry Miniatures, Wargames Factory, The Assault Group

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

SquadronROE posted:

I've started getting into Bolt Action - it seems to be the right scale for me. I can actually pull together a French army that would be somewhat competitive (if only vs. Early war opponents). Aside from Warlord's site and Warlord minis, what's a good place to get minis from?

You can find some nice resin tanks from Blitzkrieg Miniatures, and they have both 1/48 and 1/56. 1/56 is closer to "heroic 28mm" and is what Warlord use for their tanks.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
How OP are the Americans really in Bolt Action? People call them "easy mode" on forums and in podcasts. Why is this, and is it really that bad?

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
Their chief advantage is that their riflemen, BARs and veteran tanks suffer no penalty for moving and firing.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Throbbing blob posted:

How OP are the Americans really in Bolt Action? People call them "easy mode" on forums and in podcasts. Why is this, and is it really that bad?

I've played a lot of games, albeit in a short period of time, but I don't think they're any more "broken" than the other major armies.

American troops ignore the -1 penalty for moving and shooting, which is incredibly useful during the first half of a game when everyone's moving into position. Sixes to hit are much more manageable than sevens. The Germans get this too, sort of - their assault rifles have the assault rule, which means they also don't suffer that -1 penalty. It's 6" less range than the American BAR, but also gives two attacks in close combat and they can give it to every man in most veteran units. The Americans' greatest strength is their Forward Air Observer. Most armies can take them and do one airstrike per game; the American one can call down two planes. It's devastating if you roll a 1 and your opponent gets to put it on your dudes, but you have a 5/6 chance of putting whatever you hit out of commission for one or two turns, if you don't wipe them outright. The ground attack aircraft, which you get on a 4+, can easily wipe out a unit and automatically evaporates tanks. If I'm playing against Americans, the first thing I do is use my sniper to take out the observer.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

I had to permanently retire my air force guy due to his persistent habit of calling in strikes on his own dudes, crippling half my army in one go.

Tanks moving and shooting without the penalty is nice enough but is it Vet only and vet tanks are just too many points IMO. My Sherman normally ends up using the MGs instead of the main gun to get the kills.

One of the nice American bonuses that I somehow had overlooked is the ability to take 3 MGs per slot.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

I can't believe Bolt Action is making a Fighting Jack Churchill model with special rules. He's one of my favourite people/stories from the Second World War http://www.warlordgames.com/rules-legends-of-great-britain-mad-jack-churchill/ I'm going to be droppin' Nazis with a longbow all day every day now :woop:

Do they have special rules for Simo Hayha yet?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Commissar Canuck posted:

I can't believe Bolt Action is making a Fighting Jack Churchill model with special rules. He's one of my favourite people/stories from the Second World War http://www.warlordgames.com/rules-legends-of-great-britain-mad-jack-churchill/ I'm going to be droppin' Nazis with a longbow all day every day now :woop:

Do they have special rules for Simo Hayha yet?

The only thing I hate about Warlord Games right now is that I have to use my VPN in order to access their website. Come on, Warlord! I live in the RoC! They fought in WWII! Why no love?

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
I'm going to do a whole blog post, but I wanted to share this here: http://imgur.com/a/PU5Q3

I painted up two squadrons of Societ tanks for our Rostov 1942 scenario tomorrow. I experimented with color modulation, weathering with MIG washes, streaking grime, and oil spots. I really really like how they came out =D

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Those tanks are looking nice and crisp. The streaking and oil spots are hard to see in the pics, but the chipping and colour modulation looks sharp.

Also, holy crap that's a lot of 28mm tanks! Now we'll be expecting a ton of pics from your game too.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

muggins posted:

I'm going to do a whole blog post, but I wanted to share this here: http://imgur.com/a/PU5Q3

I painted up two squadrons of Societ tanks for our Rostov 1942 scenario tomorrow. I experimented with color modulation, weathering with MIG washes, streaking grime, and oil spots. I really really like how they came out =D

drat dude, good job. Post pics from your battle, looks like it'll be awesome.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Throbbing blob posted:

Those tanks are looking nice and crisp. The streaking and oil spots are hard to see in the pics, but the chipping and colour modulation looks sharp.

Also, holy crap that's a lot of 28mm tanks! Now we'll be expecting a ton of pics from your game too.

Thanks! The streaks are pretty well mixed in - I used methods from "painting wargame tanks" by ammo of mig and it worked really well.

Flippycunt posted:

drat dude, good job. Post pics from your battle, looks like it'll be awesome.

Thanks, I will for sure post pics!

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Finally got some models! I have all the infantry for this list and really want the Panzer IV J tanks, but I haven't bought any of the artillery or armour so I'm open to suggestions for any changes.

code:
Lapin Sota Jääkärikomppania 1500pts
Late War Infantry Company

Company HQ (40)- 90pts
+Anti-Tank Sections (30)
+Panzerschrecks (20)

Jääkäri Platoon 1 -275pts [total 365]
Four squads (145)
+Command Panzerfaust (10)
+SMG upgrade (60)
+Recon upgrade (60) 

Jääkäri Platoon 2 -155pts [total 520]
Four squads (145)
+Command Panzerfaust (10)

Jääkäri HMG platoon - 135pts [total 655]
2 Machine-gun sections 

Jääkäri Mortar platoon - 85pts [total 740]
Tampella 81mm upgrade (10)

Panssari Platoon - 430pts [total 1170]
5 Panzer IV J 

Artillery Battery -210pts [total 1380]
4 105 H/33 howitzers
Reindeer-drawn wagon upgrade 

Self-propelled anti-aircraft platoon -110pts [total 1490]
2 Landsverk Anti II

Karandras fucked around with this message at 11:47 on May 30, 2015

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

muggins posted:

Great looking tanks! One comment about inscriptions: a tank would have either a proper name or a slogan on it, not both like your KV-2. Also no KV-2s ever had such markings, vehicles in the immediate pre-war period were plain green to preserve secrecy. The inscriptions came later, for morale and identification reasons. For instance, "For Soviet Moldavia" (the slogan you have on the KV-2) was a fairly well known T-34 column bought with donations in 1942.

Also I don't think any T-34 mod. 1941s ever had those kinds of wheels, I think the manufacturer just cheated and reused their T-34-85 hull.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Ensign Expendable posted:

Great looking tanks! One comment about inscriptions: a tank would have either a proper name or a slogan on it, not both like your KV-2. Also no KV-2s ever had such markings, vehicles in the immediate pre-war period were plain green to preserve secrecy. The inscriptions came later, for morale and identification reasons. For instance, "For Soviet Moldavia" (the slogan you have on the KV-2) was a fairly well known T-34 column bought with donations in 1942.

Also I don't think any T-34 mod. 1941s ever had those kinds of wheels, I think the manufacturer just cheated and reused their T-34-85 hull.

drat son, it is I who is owned

Thanks for the advice - if I wanted to put any decals for early deployments of kv2 are there any you've seen? I hate the look of a bare tank

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Sadly your options are plain green and dirty white. The only things written on KV-2s were written by Germans after they were knocked out, claiming the kill or just using them as road markers. Now the KV-1, that one has some kickass artwork.

Yup, that's a perfectly historically accurate exploding Hitler doodle. Not my model, sadly.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Crossposting from the oath thread:

That's from top to bottom: 1 anti-tank rifle, 5 riflemen and a sargeant with SMG, 7 engineers with various poo poo, and 2 MG groups with three men in each. 28mm miniatures from Warlord Games.

Not perfect, but I need to cram out a few more for our campaign, so I'm happy enough with tabletop standard. And smartphone photos without a light-box sucks. :(

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Hey goons, the registration for the MichiganGT just opened - hope it's OK for me to whore our tourney

http://michigangt.com/shop/

The GT is in Lansing, MI and it is run by a great group of gamers. I am running the Bolt Action tournament on Saturday, September 26.

Hotel accommodations are affordable and Lansing is not an expensive town overall. If you're in the Midwest please check it out. This is the first year BA will be offered and the first major Bolt Action event in MI - we want to make it a big one!

Pm me with questions - thanks

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

muggins posted:

Hey goons, the registration for the MichiganGT just opened - hope it's OK for me to whore our tourney

http://michigangt.com/shop/

The GT is in Lansing, MI and it is run by a great group of gamers. I am running the Bolt Action tournament on Saturday, September 26.

Hotel accommodations are affordable and Lansing is not an expensive town overall. If you're in the Midwest please check it out. This is the first year BA will be offered and the first major Bolt Action event in MI - we want to make it a big one!

Pm me with questions - thanks

I've been thinking about getting into BA and this would be a great excuse, but I'll be at grad school in DC at the time :saddowns:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I had a lapse in judgement a few weeks ago, took a gamble, and my SAGA Revenants arrived today. They're actually much better (and bigger!) figures in person - Two each of 24 individually sculpted zombies in Gripping Beast's heroic 30mm scale, plus two sculpted mass grave markers and a Necromancer. The rules sheet emphasizes that they're a non-canon "for funsies" army, but then goes on to give some credibility to how they're at least a little period-appropriate (if you squint) by citing legends where the dead returned to gently caress with heroes. It feels like about six pounds of good-looking pewter, Renedra bases, silly Halloween dice, and rules. I'm glad I picked this up, can't wait to get them on the table.

lilljonas posted:

Crossposting from the oath thread:

Those are great! I'd forgotten we were painting mostly the same stuff this month.

What did you use for your green? I did Vallejo 920 German Uniform, inked black, and then highlighted with base color + P3 Cryx Bane Highlight. But I think I was too conservative with the highlight color and it all came out looking kinda flat.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

moths posted:

Those are great! I'd forgotten we were painting mostly the same stuff this month.

What did you use for your green? I did Vallejo 920 German Uniform, inked black, and then highlighted with base color + P3 Cryx Bane Highlight. But I think I was too conservative with the highlight color and it all came out looking kinda flat.

Thanks! I'll probably paint even more pioneers and infantry this month. I use Vallejo paints as well, both field grey and the german field grey highlight. I'm not sure exactly which field grey it is, I think it from the Panzer Aces which apparently has several different ones.

I do a layer of field grey, then a highlight where I mix in half field grey and half highlight, and finally a layer of just the highlight.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I've been thinking about getting into BA and this would be a great excuse, but I'll be at grad school in DC at the time :saddowns:

Are you here in the mitten?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

muggins posted:

Are you here in the mitten?

Yep, smack-dab in-between Ann Arbor and Detroit. Won't be for much longer though, since I'll be heading out to DC for grad school in a few weeks.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

lilljonas posted:

I use Vallejo paints as well, both field grey and the german field grey highlight. I'm not sure exactly which field grey it is, I think it from the Panzer Aces which apparently has several different ones.

Thanks, I was able to figure out which highlight color you used - the Vallejo highlight is way more green than the grey I was using (also the grey I used for the trousers).

It'll probably look good to mix up the two highlight colors in a unit, subtle variations like that keep things from getting too monotonous.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

moths posted:

Thanks, I was able to figure out which highlight color you used - the Vallejo highlight is way more green than the grey I was using (also the grey I used for the trousers).

It'll probably look good to mix up the two highlight colors in a unit, subtle variations like that keep things from getting too monotonous.

Yes, I solved the mystery, it was the regular vallejo german uniform paint, and the german highlight #1 from their panzer aces range. I've done mine all in the same colour because I wanted to get my army ready for play ASAP, but now I feel like going back and add a few pants or jackets in other blacks or greens. The varied uniform look is great on Germans. We're playing early Blitzkrieg right now which could explain the uniformity, but I might still go back later and add more details and re-paint some pants and jackets.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I got my hands on Grey Wolf and I can't find Otto Carius/Albert Kercher? We're they removed from the revision? I was looking forward to reading about them in detail.

I also finally got my first game in, it was a learning experience. I brought the pdf Pioneerkompanie with compulsory troops and 2 StuG Platoons (one was all StuHs) and I had a Pander Kompanie ally with a KT, 2 Tigers and 5 Pz IVs. We fought an American Armor Co with 76 Sherman's, Stuarts, e8s and a mounted
rifle platoon.It was a learning experience. I squandered my StuGs by moving them too often and misunderstanding how cncealment worked but the Pioneers acquitted themselves with 3 successful assaults. Which is good because their shooting sucked.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
What do you guys use for aerials on tanks? I've tried different types of broomhairs, but they all get ruined during transport.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Throbbing blob posted:

What do you guys use for aerials on tanks? I've tried different types of broomhairs, but they all get ruined during transport.

Guitar wire. Don't cut yourself when you are trimming it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I've been using florist's wire of late. It's pretty strong stuff.

Speaking of what I've been using of late, there's an Early War FoW tournament at Q-con this year and I'm tempted to take my lovely Tommy Tigers list just for the laugh. 1550 points:

quote:

Compulsory Infantry Tank Company HQ - CinC A12 Matilda Senior, 2iC Light Tank Mk VI B (265 pts)

Compulsory A12 Tank Platoon - Command A12 Matilda Senior, 2x A12 Matilda Senior (710 pts)

Compulsory A11 Tank Platoon - Command A11 Matilda (0.5" MG), 2x A11 Matilda (200 pts)

A11 Tank Platoon - Command A11 Matilda (0.5" MG), 2x A11 Matilda (200 pts)

Rifle Platoon (Territorial) - Command Rifle/MG, 6x Rifle/MG, Light Mortar, Anti-tank Rifle (145 pts)

Air Support - Sporadic Hurricane I (25 pts)

Total: 1545, 4 Platoons.

There are probably much better options for that list but none that don't require me buying loads of stuff. Replacing the CinC's A12 with an A11 .50 cal and opening some points for artillery strikes me as the obvious first pick, and the Hurricane is basically wasted points.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I finally finished the AAR for our Rostov game we had last weekend using Bolt Action. Check it out!

http://freshcoastgaming.blogspot.com/2015/06/michigan-bolt-action-league-battle-of.html?m=1

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Gearing up for the Stalino campaign. Not all of them are mine, but enough. I also got around to firing up a website for the campaign, me and my clubmates will try to post stuff about painting, collecting and terrain building there. Hopefully it will be worth a visit for people into WW2 and CoC specifically once we have more material on there: http://krigetkommer.weebly.com/

Oh, and moths, check the oath thread. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

DiHK posted:

I got my hands on Grey Wolf and I can't find Otto Carius/Albert Kercher? We're they removed from the revision? I was looking forward to reading about them in detail.

They're in a separate pdf. Both are horrifying, Carius especially so.