Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Pesterchum posted:

The gameplay isn't very good, every other part of the game is real, real good. I really wish the game was more fun to play because I can still remember almost all the characters, story, zones and things like that when I can't remember the name of a single NPC from almost any other MMO.

Exactly, even the music from TSW is perfect, each tune has a sense of dread to it that paints such a cleak picture, they even temper the moments when you "win" to make you feel like you're loving up. The only characters that don't seem to be giving off the vibe of "We're all going to die, and then death will be worse" are Saïd, Geary and Daimon, making dealing with all three kind of refreshing because they don't even lay what little positivity they have too hard. But the game play is just just circle strafe, smash buttons, try not to strafe in to fire/filth/etc and hope yourr build/gear gives you enough durability to last the fight or handle the poo poo you accidentally aggro from respawn timers set for a game that would have 5 times the amount of active players

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010
I recently picked up this game and am enjoying the story, but am struggling with the builds. Honestly I don't care enough to do a ton of research to figure out how to put one together by myself for a combat system that is kind of meh. Before I abandon the game, I thought I'd check here and see if someone could point me in the right direction.

Basically, I would prefer a gun/magic ranged build of some kind that would let me get through content quickly. If I have to do melee to solo stuff, then fine, whatever. I'm still in the first zombie town and am using shotgun/blood magic, but if I need to switch to something completely different, that's fine.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Grab the 1-point healing passives from Blade & Fists (Immortal Spirit & Lick Your Wounds, IIRC), as well as the one from Shotgun that does AoE damage whenever you kill something that had 1+ Shotgun resources on it. After that, it's a matter of using Shotgun's cone attacks to weaken and build resources on enemies, then dropping one with a finisher from your other weapon. Blood Magic's 7-point active elite (Cardiac Arrest?) can be worked into the mix to get an early blast from the Shotgun passive.

At work now, but I can throw together a BM/SG rotation when I get home tonight, if it's still not clicking for you.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Geburan posted:

I recently picked up this game and am enjoying the story, but am struggling with the builds. Honestly I don't care enough to do a ton of research to figure out how to put one together by myself for a combat system that is kind of meh. Before I abandon the game, I thought I'd check here and see if someone could point me in the right direction.

Basically, I would prefer a gun/magic ranged build of some kind that would let me get through content quickly. If I have to do melee to solo stuff, then fine, whatever. I'm still in the first zombie town and am using shotgun/blood magic, but if I need to switch to something completely different, that's fine.

If you're aiming to solo, tanky builds (Chaos, blade, or hammer) are generally easier than DPS or healing based ones. Chaos/Blade in particular synergizes well and gives you a lot of both damage and survivability.

That said it's entirely possible to do the solo content with anything; it's just you may find yourself kind of sitting on the edge of death more often with a ranged build since you don't really have a lot of options to actually keep enemies away from you for very long (hinders/impairs are just not very good - more for setting up a special attack than anything else).

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Geburan posted:

TSW is one of the very few MMOs where the official forums are pretty helpful, if you ask for help there normally a few people will reply with reasonable and well worded answers. A few people there helped me figure out a good solo build for Tokyo when I was getting reamed left and right

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

If he wants gun/magic and survivable, he could leech. Take AR and Blood Magic, then skills like Anima Shot. It's slow but steady.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
I just finished issue 11 and I must say I'm pretty happy with it. But f' me if I can remember story elements from 3 years ago (or however long this game came out when I powered through the story mode the first time). I need a TSW story arc timeline which contains pictures or embedded video for filthy casuals who only play once every 3-4 months.

Are blue wings good, are they bad, whats going on...

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

TracerM17 posted:

Are blue wings good, are they bad, whats going on...

As I understand it, the three possible results aren't supposed to make much of a difference, gameplay-wise. However, there's talk that your version was subject to Funcompetence and I don't know if it's been fixed.

Results come in gold, blue, and purple flavors and are based upon how many (none, some, all) of the Filth's gifts you accepted in the dream sequences that end the first three storyline missions.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

The Orochi tower floor where they're repeatedly harvesting organs out of a Bee to put in robots so the robots can access Agartha is really disgusting and a fine example of classic TSW.

I also liked the non-traditional floors, e.g. the QBL one where you just trip over traps in various TV sets while a demonic laugh track plays, or the Faust one where the accountants have become so passive and zombified that they literally don't notice their coworkers are dead beside them.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
I haven't played since launch. I booted up and played yesterday, and all of a sudden it was 9 hours later.

It doesn't seem like its changed that much, but i didn't have this much fun last time.

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice

HardKase posted:

I haven't played since launch. I booted up and played yesterday, and all of a sudden it was 9 hours later.

It doesn't seem like its changed that much, but i didn't have this much fun last time.

Came back to do all the Tokyo stuff and I'd forgotten how engaging the game is. All I want to do today is go home and finish everything in Tokyo.

They did make leveling less obnoxious by lowering enemy health I think, so that could be at play.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Kessel posted:

The Orochi tower floor where they're repeatedly harvesting organs out of a Bee to put in robots so the robots can access Agartha is really disgusting and a fine example of classic TSW.

I also liked the non-traditional floors, e.g. the QBL one where you just trip over traps in various TV sets while a demonic laugh track plays, or the Faust one where the accountants have become so passive and zombified that they literally don't notice their coworkers are dead beside them.

For me, the first Anasi floor contained the most shocking TSW twist of all-- an area full of living people who were happy to see you.

The second Anasi floor was also pretty great-- the one-two punch of going through all of those long, dark corridors and finding yourself standing in a scenario room, and then seeing just what scenario you were getting into was hilarious.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I remember that second one. "oh god please don't make me do a scenario please don't make me do a... what"

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'm apparently going to have to get to Tokyo one of these days. :mad:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

So mounts are a thing now.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
How soon until I can get my very own flappy flying mount?

Edit: I log in and I'm immediately greeted by biker gangs roaming Agartha.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

TracerM17 posted:

How soon until I can get my very own flappy flying mount?

Edit: I log in and I'm immediately greeted by biker gangs roaming Agartha.

Soon as I get to a computer I'm buying one. gently caress it. What else are my funbux for?

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike
So, I haven't played since they revamped combat and apparently AOE isn't what it used to be? What's a good solo build now?

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

thegodofchuck posted:

So, I haven't played since they revamped combat and apparently AOE isn't what it used to be? What's a good solo build now?

It's not that far off what it was before if you ask me. Instead of being 2/3rds the strength of a single attack ability, it's 1/2. Worse against 1 target, same against 2, but better against 3 or more. where-as before it was better against 2 or more. I still use an AOE builder, but have switched to single strike consumers, with some AOE consumers on standby just in case I get swarmed.

Regarding the bike, I bought it... and immediately cheesed the speedhax achieves with the nitro boost. I don't know if that was an oversight on funcom's part of just them recognizing you spent 20 bucks might as well let you put it to use.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Len posted:

Soon as I get to a computer I'm buying one. gently caress it. What else are my funbux for?

Indeed, bought it together with the last issue's "collector's edition" because why not, it's not like they're putting clothes/outfits worth buying in their store anymore.

orcane fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jun 4, 2015

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I got a SSD over the weekend and put TSW on it. Holy poo poo night and day loading difference. I'm not stuck at Tokyo loading screens for 5 minutes anymore. Now it loads in under a minute. I also signed in and BOOM that bridge spawn that drops the black lore just dropped right down. I didn't do anything different from when it was "working as intended you're just doing it wrong" either.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Len posted:

I got a SSD over the weekend and put TSW on it. Holy poo poo night and day loading difference. I'm not stuck at Tokyo loading screens for 5 minutes anymore. Now it loads in under a minute. I also signed in and BOOM that bridge spawn that drops the black lore just dropped right down. I didn't do anything different from when it was "working as intended you're just doing it wrong" either.
Neat. I might have to fire TSW back up since I think that's the only thing I'm missing from my sashimoto.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How come the PvP queues can be so unbearably long? Even during the TSW's most populated hours, sometimes the two battlegrounds just never pop.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

They're the least popular games I think. I know I have zero problem getting into Fusang*, which gets me my black marks just fine.

edit: Even at non-peak times.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Anyone resub and have issues with their time accelerator not working?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Warmachine posted:

They're the least popular games I think. I know I have zero problem getting into Fusang*, which gets me my black marks just fine.

edit: Even at non-peak times.

I think Fusang is suppose to have a very large pop cap anyways. It's a persistent never ending PvP zone.

Also, how many of you are doing group content together? I am back to playing TSW again and I hope goons are playing this. The last time I came back, I got really hooked because a bunch of you lovely regulars were playing all the time and doing group stuff, but then you all stopped, so I stopped as well. :(

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
There was once a problem with the pvp queues, if too many people attempted to join it would crash the match maker or some such funcompentence. This was big when the first golem event was going on, Fusang had a golem in the center with a super cute golem pet. I think it was fixed, but old bugs have a habit of coming back up.

It could also be that the match maker can not find enough players?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I just wandered around and did some Issue 9 sidestories. The Bank Heist can go eat a dick. "Hey Moonwalk across this. You might need to use it 4 or 5 times and it's going to take your forever."

I'm also not a fan of the "get spotted and immediately sent to jail" mechanics. My character has solved every problem with a giant gently caress off hammer. I can take a robot.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Len posted:

I just wandered around and did some Issue 9 sidestories. The Bank Heist can go eat a dick. "Hey Moonwalk across this. You might need to use it 4 or 5 times and it's going to take your forever."

I'm also not a fan of the "get spotted and immediately sent to jail" mechanics. My character has solved every problem with a giant gently caress off hammer. I can take a robot.

That mission has a lot of cool ideas, but tested my patience more than Scenarios.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cheston posted:

That mission has a lot of cool ideas, but tested my patience more than Scenarios.

I started out really liking it. "Oh cartwheeling through what's obviously lasers. Neat!" "You want me to moonwalk? Okay I guess." And now I just want it to be done and over with. But there's a lore down there somewhere. And I can't even brute force run it since the robots stun you.

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice

Len posted:

That was some bullshit. Like, they could have just made the pressure sensitive areas smaller. Sure, people might be able to jump it, but who cares? The novelty of moonwalking wears off after the first set of pads, I don't understand why they only have one cartwheel section but two moonwalk sections.

The stealth missions are great on paper, but the reality is always disappointing. Its just not built to be a stealth game, so they have to throw in these hard failure conditions to prevent non-stealth cheesing. If you screw up its usually just better to forget it and start over until you complete the sequence exactly as intended. There's none of that fun improvisation that makes stealth games usually so compelling.

I'm doing the Tokyo stuff for the first time and a lot of its pretty great, but I don't get why the Aegis system exists. I understand that they needed more progression, but it just feels like the most hamfisted way of including progression that's still technically horizontal and not vertical. If this continues we're going to end up with a bunch of systems hanging off the game like vestigial organs. The augment system is already the appendix of TSW, useless but still able to cause problems, tricking new players into thinking its important

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Wasn't it basically to add grind and keep people occupied while they scrambled to finish the rest of Tokyo?

I think my biggest problem with the Aegis system is that it purports to add complexity to combat. It does, but it's not interesting complexity - it's busywork. You just match the colours and then it's an extra health bar you have to burn through. The shields are even more poorly thought out, since you can't switch them in combat, making them 100% busywork.

I had a lot more fun in Tokyo once I installed the mod that switches everything for you automatically.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Kessel posted:

Wasn't it basically to add grind and keep people occupied while they scrambled to finish the rest of Tokyo?

I think my biggest problem with the Aegis system is that it purports to add complexity to combat. It does, but it's not interesting complexity - it's busywork. You just match the colours and then it's an extra health bar you have to burn through. The shields are even more poorly thought out, since you can't switch them in combat, making them 100% busywork.

I had a lot more fun in Tokyo once I installed the mod that switches everything for you automatically.
Wait, there's a mod that does that? Link?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

http://www.curse.com/tsw-mods/tsw/autoselect-aegis

Have fun. Works with Topbar Info Overload, so be sure to install that too, and remember to always target the enemy you're about to fight before you engage so the shield switches out.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

I said come in! posted:

I think Fusang is suppose to have a very large pop cap anyways. It's a persistent never ending PvP zone.

Also, how many of you are doing group content together? I am back to playing TSW again and I hope goons are playing this. The last time I came back, I got really hooked because a bunch of you lovely regulars were playing all the time and doing group stuff, but then you all stopped, so I stopped as well. :(

Im in as Verianna or Exmond in steam. I sometimes join the awful channel.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

I said come in! posted:

Fusang is capped at 75 players per side, technically. I say technically because that's the highest it goes, but below that each side is capped to no more than 10 more people than the side with the fewest people. So if, say, there's only a single Dragon in Fusang (Which happens depressingly often, at least on Arcadia) then there can be at most 11 Templars or Illuminati in the zone at the same time.

Pinely posted:

That was some bullshit. Like, they could have just made the pressure sensitive areas smaller. Sure, people might be able to jump it, but who cares? The novelty of moonwalking wears off after the first set of pads, I don't understand why they only have one cartwheel section but two moonwalk sections.

As it happens, you can actually still jump it. Just not by actually jumping. Use either Flicker from Elementalism or Death From Above from the Rocket Launcher from right next to it and you'll go right over without tripping it. Possibly not Death From Above with the bank heist ones, I know Flicker works for them though and DFA definitely works for the ones in the first Issue 11 mission so it should work in the bank heist too but I haven't tested that personally.

Kessel posted:

Have fun. Works with Topbar Info Overload, so be sure to install that too, and remember to always target the enemy you're about to fight before you engage so the shield switches out.

Personally I use a different one, which also modifies the UI aegis buttons to show all three equipped capacitors and the progress percentage for each one in addition to the auto swap. Which I find helpful, cause I can see at a glance whether I should swap capacitors before opening biohazard containers for experience. Because opening my character sheet and looking at them is effort and I'm lazy.

Can be gotten here: http://www.curse.com/tsw-mods/tsw/eltorqiro_aegishud Be aware it tends to break with every major patch though, something about hotkey IDs changing internally. It's pretty much always updated before the patch is even live though.

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice

General Maximus posted:

Kessel posted:

Personally I use a different one, which also modifies the UI aegis buttons to show all three equipped capacitors and the progress percentage for each one in addition to the auto swap. Which I find helpful, cause I can see at a glance whether I should swap capacitors before opening biohazard containers for experience. Because opening my character sheet and looking at them is effort and I'm lazy.

Can be gotten here: http://www.curse.com/tsw-mods/tsw/eltorqiro_aegishud Be aware it tends to break with every major patch though, something about hotkey IDs changing internally. It's pretty much always updated before the patch is even live though.

Thanks for these, AEGIS is much less annoying now. Also helped that I got some more levels, now the shields basically disintegrate on the first attack.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
So I found myself pining over this game with some of my co-workers, even though I've not played it since roughly since the F2P launch. One of the main things that pushed me away from the game was the feel of combat; have they made any substantial strides here in the subsequent years compared to where things were at at launch? I'm sure the balance of things is much better, but have there been any substantial changes to the core combat loop beyond skill tweaking? If so I may consider coming back.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Brackhar posted:

So I found myself pining over this game with some of my co-workers, even though I've not played it since roughly since the F2P launch. One of the main things that pushed me away from the game was the feel of combat; have they made any substantial strides here in the subsequent years compared to where things were at at launch? I'm sure the balance of things is much better, but have there been any substantial changes to the core combat loop beyond skill tweaking? If so I may consider coming back.

The meta's shifted five or six times, and the new-player/overall story experience, in terms of enemy health, is balanced much more towards briefer, "punchier" encounters, but I don't think they've had the resources or desire to change anything major about the core combat. There have been enough quality-of-life improvements that I completely forget what's actually changed, so I do recommend popping in and shooting a few things to see how it feels.

The dungeons are still easily the best group content I've ever played, so definitely try them if you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Cheston posted:

The dungeons are still easily the best group content I've ever played, so definitely try them if you can.

Good content that is made great by serenades and alcohol. I do miss the good old days of running around in this game with goons.

• Locked thread