Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I'm thinking Oliver, basically saying "I'll get my boy to repent his confession."

That's... a pretty good theory. Well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

JT Jag posted:

He gives Robert "fortified wine", the real world equivalent being port, which typically has twice the ABV of normal wine.

Still, that's a piss weak murder plot, and one that is basically bulletproof - so what that Robert was given strong drink, he was a hedonist and a boozer, he could have plausibly preferred stronger wine than his courtiers.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

zoux posted:

Er actually most of the reaction to this episode has been positive so I don't know what you are talking about.

And rating from who?

Yeah, most people are pretty taken with the perfect boobs. But not everybody

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
As it was mentioned, I'd be all for seeing the Faith Militant (and its leader in particular) as defending the interests of the smallfolk and fighting back against the nobles that keep throwing poo poo at them and sending them to die, but so far the main concerns that the FM has shown are:

1. Did you have smoking hot dude sex
2. Did you witness smoking hot dude sex and fail to alert the proper authorities
3. Did you have any other kind of sex, apparently
4. Do you have access to booze, brothels, or R'hllor action figurines

None of these seem to address the main concerns of the smallfolk (i.e. not starving and/or getting sworded up for bullshit political reasons). If we were truly meant to believe they have the interests of the common people at heart, we would have seen their goons doing something other than gay bashing.

As a previous poster said, the FM does serve as a clear signal that the smallfolk are getting fed up with this poo poo, but they ain't exactly the champions of the people.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Blazing Ownager posted:

If your empire had horribly lethal poisons that could be slapped on any blade to effectively kill their enemies even if they're scratched, wouldn't you be encouraging just about everyone in your military be versed in it?

No, because that would be wholly impractical for armies fighting in formation, shoulder to shoulder.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
I hope Cersei has a trial exactly like the final episode of Seinfeld. Just a parade of former cast members and extras detailing everything from regicide to baby murder to loving her brother to ordering the death of a puppy to keeping a mad scientist in the basement making Frankensteins while she just sort of grimaces and shrugs.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I'd love to lay you down.
So are Brienne and Pod just chillin outside Winterfell for months going nope, no candle today.

Sad Rhino
Aug 23, 2014

pigdog posted:

It was venison. Which Cersei had had a day earlier (i.e. table scraps).
The line 'It really is good, I had it yesterday' made me think Cersei had poo poo into the pot.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

I hope Cersei has a trial exactly like the final episode of Seinfeld. Just a parade of former cast members and extras detailing everything from regicide to baby murder to loving her brother to ordering the death of a puppy to keeping a mad scientist in the basement making Frankensteins while she just sort of grimaces and shrugs.

To be fair, most of those are either dead, presumed dead, or whereabouts unknown. However, if Pycelle got called as a witness and just unloaded every little bit of dirt he had on her after all these years, that would be pretty amazing.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I'm thinking Oliver, basically saying "I'll get my boy to repent his confession."

If you think about it, Oliver rolled over like a wet biscuit on some high profile clients. Super amateur, unless its all part of the plan to say he was coerced by Cersei and she is the only guilty party in the whole situation.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

regicide to baby murder to loving her brother to ordering the death of a puppy to keeping a mad scientist in the basement making Frankensteins
I had forgotten about that lol Cersei

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Holy poo poo. Littlefinger pays him to turn Loras in, and then gets paid to get Loras out. While he wasn't even around. Dude's crazy good.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Bobo the Red posted:

Holy poo poo. Littlefinger pays him to turn Loras in, and then gets paid to get Loras out. While he wasn't even around. Dude's crazy good.

So if he's been paid to get Loras out, what has happened? He's gotten paid twice to get Loras and Margaery into and out of prison, now Cersei - who has been running the realm into the ground - goes into jail, giving the Tyrells who actually seem competent more control over the crown. He may be setting the Tyrells up for a fall by letting them bleed to keep Tommen on the throne while he's happily building strength, but still he wants chaos and Cersei was good at promoting that.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Hexel posted:

If you think about it, Oliver rolled over like a wet biscuit on some high profile clients. Super amateur, unless its all part of the plan to say he was coerced by Cersei and she is the only guilty party in the whole situation.

I so hope that's what happens. If Littlefinger's current masterstroke is to wreck Cersei's poo poo that way, it'd be hilarious.

Actually, this seems like quite a likely outcome. Oliver probably trusts Littlefinger, who knows all Cersei's secrets including the Lannisters being in extreme debt they cannot pay back (a situation he put them in.) Also, Littlefinger's alliance to the Tyrells is still intensely valuable, since they're the de facto wealthiest House. He has every incentive to help them and crush Cersei. And manipulating this situation is an elegant way to do it.

He didn't actually go back to King's Landing to rat out Sansa. I forget, did he go back before or after she armed the Faith Militant?

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

Al Nipper posted:

Jonathan Pryce is marvelous and probably my fave character at the moment. He's frightening and inspiring in equal measure. Like a rogue AI that logically decides that the most efficient way to eradicate corruption is to wipe the slate clean.

He and the rest of the Sparrows remind me of your typical radical protestant reformists back in the 16th century, Take your pick, Anabaptism and Melchior Hoffman are excellent examples. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melchior_Hoffman

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
so, guys, how'd you like this last episode. i enjoyed it, personally.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Wizard Master posted:

I thought this episode was garbage personally.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I know that the trial is still to come, but it did strike me as odd that the High Sparrow was willing to take the word of this one guy over both Loras and Margaery's as strong enough proof to imprison them both ahead of a formal trial. I mean, WE know what he is saying is true, but he offered no evidence beyond saying,"I had sex with Loras and the Queen knew about it." The Sparrows know he ran Littlefinger's brothel so in their mind he'd already be a known flesh-peddler and thus not somebody whose word they should trust, and Loras has just as much a public history of making eyes at pretty ladies (like giving the flower to Sansa) while Margaery has a proven history of caring for the common people and helping to feed the poor/look after orphans.

I mean, it's likely all this is gonna come out/be referenced at the trials anyway, and it would be pretty hilarious to see Margaery at least get off completely and be present to watch Cersei's trial, but it still struck me as weird how willing the High Sparrow was to believe Oliver's word.

I think the actual guilt or innocence of Loras and Margaery are ancillary considerations to the High Sparrow. He's interested in hooking the biggest corrupt fish he can find in King's Landing, and making a high-profile example of them. That's why he's only too happy to have Cersei now.:getin:

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I still just find it hard to believe that Cersei did not see this coming at all, knowing the Sparrows are undiscriminating in their religious justice and she hosed Lancel who is one of them. I know it's part of her character that she isn't as smart as she thinks she is but surely that connection would have crossed her mind. Is the idea just that she's so caught up in the fever of having cornered Margaery?

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I still just find it hard to believe that Cersei did not see this coming at all, knowing the Sparrows are undiscriminating in their religious justice and she hosed Lancel who is one of them. I know it's part of her character that she isn't as smart as she thinks she is but surely that connection would have crossed her mind. Is the idea just that she's so caught up in the fever of having cornered Margaery?

Maybe she straight up can't understand that Lancel would genuinely want to atone for what he did instead of sorta blackmail her into beefing up his silly little cult. Same goes for the Sparrow - "Oh, what does this unwashed charlatan want? Probably to be the new High Septon and to play with the big dogs, that's why he does the whole 'justice for everyone' schtick. Fine, he needs me for that."

It would be a reasonable mistake to make since Olenna did the same thing. Then again, she didn't arm them.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

So in terms of comeuppance to loathsome characters, we have Theon, whose dragged-out torture, mutilation, and psychological destruction has probably made people regret wishing ill on him; and we have Joffrey, who I'm assuming most people think that the little poo poo had it coming and poison was even too quick for him.

I wonder where Cersei will fall on that continuum

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

an skeleton posted:

so, guys, how'd you like this last episode. i enjoyed it, personally.

Seven blessings

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
#1 HBO-boob of all time GoT S05E07 :nws: http://i.imgur.com/hByK3ai.jpg

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I'd say Cersei simply doesn't entertain the idea of things not going her way. She's the rich trophy wife who solves all her issues by throwing her husband's/family's clout around and does it for so long she genuinely believes she's a master schemer and manipulator.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Capilarean posted:

I'd say Cersei simply doesn't entertain the idea of things not going her way. She's the rich trophy wife who solves all her issues by throwing her husband's/family's clout around and does it for so long she genuinely believes she's a master schemer and manipulator.

I agree. Even as she is being thrown into a cell having just seen how Margery is holding up, Cersei is still threatening them with death.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
The notion that her subjects don't respect or fear her is too alien to accept.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Capilarean posted:

I'd say Cersei simply doesn't entertain the idea of things not going her way.

I see this very similarly. Her main problem is that all of her schemes don't include her. Her schemes would all be great if she were locked in a saferoom with infinite food, but she doesn't realize that she's out in the open just like the people she's attacking.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
In a show of nice ladies' chests that snake's thorax stood out. Fantastic.
Love the high priest sparrow dude too. If he's not full of BS he's a rare breed in this world.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Vegetable posted:

The latest episode was also a glimpse into an unglamorous side of Margaery. Her hair was awful.

No way she was still hot

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I know that the trial is still to come, but it did strike me as odd that the High Sparrow was willing to take the word of this one guy over both Loras and Margaery's as strong enough proof to imprison them both ahead of a formal trial. I mean, WE know what he is saying is true, but he offered no evidence beyond saying,"I had sex with Loras and the Queen knew about it." The Sparrows know he ran Littlefinger's brothel so in their mind he'd already be a known flesh-peddler and thus not somebody whose word they should trust, and Loras has just as much a public history of making eyes at pretty ladies (like giving the flower to Sansa) while Margaery has a proven history of caring for the common people and helping to feed the poor/look after orphans.

I mean, it's likely all this is gonna come out/be referenced at the trials anyway, and it would be pretty hilarious to see Margaery at least get off completely and be present to watch Cersei's trial, but it still struck me as weird how willing the High Sparrow was to believe Oliver's word.

No one's saying the penalty for buggery or perjury is death, especially if they confess and are contrite about it.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I don't know if I would be that harsh. When it to manipulation and scheming, Cersei is usually pretty successful. Whether it be launching a coup against the Iron Throne or displacing a new young rival, Cersei has excelled at conniving her way into a position of power. Her methods might be extreme, but you cannot deny that she almost always accomplishes her short-term goals. Cersei's main problem is that she doesn't know when to stop. Tywin understood that scheming was a means to an end, but for Cersei one successful plot necessarily leads to another. There is always some enemy that must be destroyed, regardless of the cost. When that enemy is gone, she can focus her efforts on destroying that rival that she has just created.

I see Cersei as a good rebel but an awful ruler. She can scheme her way into power but has no idea what to do with her authority once she attains it.

The Human Crouton posted:

I see this very similarly. Her main problem is that all of her schemes don't include her. Her schemes would all be great if she were locked in a saferoom with infinite food, but she doesn't realize that she's out in the open just like the people she's attacking.

This might actually be a better way of viewing Cersei. She was really exceptional at the Game when people underestimated and ignored her. She could afford to do extreme options because the blowback wouldn't affect her directly. When the situation changed and Cersei became the most powerful person in Westeros, that mindset no longer worked. Any scheme would necessarily involve her and she still sees herself as untouchable.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 26, 2015

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Super.Jesus posted:

No one's saying the penalty for buggery or perjury is death, especially if they confess and are contrite about it.

That would be the funniest thing. Margery and Loras confess and the High Septon is just, "4 Hail Marys, 2 Our Father's" and you're good to go.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

The Human Crouton posted:

Aegon the Conqueror is famously quoted as saying "Speak softly and ride a dragon." While the statement was in reference to diplomacy in his newly forged Seven Kingdoms, it is equally applicable to courtly politics and intrigue. Cersei's family name, royal title and authority are the dragon she rides, and she rides them masterfully, removing any number of obstacles from her way.

She fails at speaking softly, however. She doesn't even try. If Cersei Lannister doesn't like you, everyone in King's Landing will know within the week. This combination of traits is a great way to make an insurmountable amount of enemies.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Targaryen diplomacy has always been spotty though. During the Dance of Dragons, Daemon Targaryen declared "Give us the dragons, and we will finish the job." He died kickflipping off one dragon onto another in order to plunge a sword through his opponent's eye.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

Sheep-Goats posted:

Somebody hasn't seen True Detective S01E02

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
Was interesting how some characters like Dany, Gilly, Myrcella all had men interfering on their behalf when they never needed or asked for help

Meanwhile characters who ARE begging men for help get nothing (Margaery) or worse (Sansa)

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
last week on GoT: god-tier tits

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I wanted that fat pink mast, drat it.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sheep-Goats posted:

I honestly kind of hope Bron decides to stay in Dorn with her and just say screw it to the rest of Westeros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SexyBlindfold posted:

As it was mentioned, I'd be all for seeing the Faith Militant (and its leader in particular) as defending the interests of the smallfolk and fighting back against the nobles that keep throwing poo poo at them and sending them to die, but so far the main concerns that the FM has shown are:

1. Did you have smoking hot dude sex
2. Did you witness smoking hot dude sex and fail to alert the proper authorities
3. Did you have any other kind of sex, apparently
4. Do you have access to booze, brothels, or R'hllor action figurines

None of these seem to address the main concerns of the smallfolk (i.e. not starving and/or getting sworded up for bullshit political reasons). If we were truly meant to believe they have the interests of the common people at heart, we would have seen their goons doing something other than gay bashing.

As a previous poster said, the FM does serve as a clear signal that the smallfolk are getting fed up with this poo poo, but they ain't exactly the champions of the people.

Just saying, that you pretty much described the fantasy Taliban / ISIS.

Clearly the reaction from being curb stomped by bigger powers, but the first things they are concerned about is being morality police for their own religion.

Junkfist posted:

The only good guys on this show are The Faith Militant and Stannis but that's pretty much it.

So militant puritans and a guy who is seriously considering burning his daughter alive are the good guys? Well gently caress.

Honestly Brienne and Podrick are the only really good people.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 26, 2015

• Locked thread