Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

slev posted:

Geralt is kind of a dick when it comes to gwent. All these people offer to stake a rare card and he's just like "Sure, and I'll wager nothing."

I'll play you Geralt, but only for a high stakes game in which only I offer high stakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So I finally figured out Gwent

Is there any reason to fight the scholar in White Orchard more than once, or is Zoltran the only thing you get from him?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there any reason to fight the scholar in White Orchard more than once, or is Zoltran the only thing you get from him?

That's where you get Zoltan? Ahh gently caress me. I was wondering if I was going to get that. C'est la vie. I'm wrecking poo poo anyway. Btw the best Gwent strategy is spies and decoys baby. If they throw spies then decoy them and use them for yourself. I played 6 spies one game because I had 3 and he had 3 plus I had 3 decoys. loving destroyed him after that. The Dandelion card is pretty awesome as well. Its a normal card that also acts as a horn for the melee row. You get it from the mini tournament during Triss' quest line.

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.
Goddamn, everything about the Crones and the Crookback Bog is amazing. Feels like you're exploring a slavic folk tale.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Seems interesting that they have so many sources of ingredients then, if you only need to make it once. Unless you can make multiples of the same type and all get refilled, I can only see doing so if making the potion nets your more profit than selling the ingredients separately.

I would imagine that at some point during development they had it so you had to 're craft stuff as you used it, so they built the world with ample sources of materials. Then they changed it to the current system based on playtesting but didn't have the time to change the world, so you end up with literally thousands of sources of herb A that you now only need 5 of in the first 10 mins of the game.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

GreenBuckanneer posted:

As far as I can tell, you only ever get 1 card from every different vendor, and subsequently they award you with random garbage crafting materials. So you want to play every NPC and win exactly once and move on.

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

Mr Beens posted:

I would imagine that at some point during development they had it so you had to 're craft stuff as you used it, so they built the world with ample sources of materials. Then they changed it to the current system based on playtesting but didn't have the time to change the world, so you end up with literally thousands of sources of herb A that you now only need 5 of in the first 10 mins of the game.

You don't even need to gather most herbs, herbalists and alchemists sell almost everything you want

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Will disabling hardware cursor affect my performance at all?

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Really need a dedicated face button to ask every player if they want to play a card game a la FF8. I want to play you for your cards, not buy them idiot merchant.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

I accidentally deleted one of the notes I need for a treasure hunt quest, is there any way to get it back?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Gwent: After beating Vivaldi and then Marquise Serenity, she recommended another player in Novigrad by the name of Rubieri or something, but the quest was marked as finished and I dont know where to find him. Help! I'm a total gwent whore! :angel:

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

PirateBob posted:

Gwent: After beating Vivaldi and then Marquise Serenity, she recommended another player in Novigrad by the name of Rubieri or something, but the quest was marked as finished and I dont know where to find him. Help! I'm a total gwent whore! :angel:

You need to progress further into the main plot.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Radovid and Mages quest Oh god, I can't decide what to do with this megascope crystal! Phillipa sounds like she deserves to burn at the stake, especially since the last game's events. Would giving him Phillipa make Radovid ease off the mage killing? Probably not I would guess. Both for them and the crime bosses are the ones keeping him from taking the city outright and video game logic. Don't know if I should go back on my word for Radovid since I kinda killed his entire witch hunter squad and he probably would know it was me who killed them. Oh Allgod I am stuck in indecision!

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Waltzed into Novigrad for the first time and everyone is sliding around in Da'vinci poses with their heads missing. Unfortunately you can't just start slaughtering all the obviously demon possessed people around you because Novigrad is in serious need of a sharp silver exorcism.

warburg
Jan 9, 2007

How far along am I in the main story line when reach skellige? Am I close to the end?

Ra-amun
Feb 25, 2011

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I don't think I have both slotted, but something else is troubling me: I can't gallop (sprint) with Roach anymore no matter where I am.

I just reloaded a save and it fixed it. Real cool time to realize I had that bug when I was racing to bail someone out of debt.

e. Horse racing is kinda bad. Roach handles like poo poo and comes to a complete stop on the tiniest things, trying to conserve stamina means having to go back to walking first, and you can win races just by bodyblocking the competition while cantering, then speeding off at full stamina.

I did have a funny moment when some peasants ran onto the track right before the race started and completely bugged out the AI's pathfinding. He was still spinning in circles on his horse when I finished the race.

Ra-amun fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 26, 2015

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does this game have snow in it?

Edit: also, I have some gold rings (blue) junk items I've been holding on to that say "can be sold for a significant sum" but vendors only offer 2 gold for them. Is there a special vendor I need to go to to get more than a broken ore for them?

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 26, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

NESguerilla posted:

Does this game have snow in it?

Edit: also, I have some gold rings (blue) junk items I've been holding on to that say "can be sold for a significant sum" but vendors only offer 2 gold for them. Is there a special vendor I need to go to to get more than a broken ore for them?

Plenty of snow in Skellige

Items sell more to venders that specialize in whatever they are. Smiths give more for weapons and armor, for instance.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

david... posted:

A moon dust bomb was the difference between hideous repeated defeats and glorious success with 'Jenny from da Woods'

How on earth do you have Moon Dust bombs that early? I cleared out every ? in White Orchard and still don't have them, 15-odd hours in and just finished up the Ladies of the Wood quest. Oh actually I didn't do the Spoils of War node near the garrison in White Orchard because I didn't know that the crossbow one-shots everything swimming. It also knocks harpies out of the sky, and if you're close to them you can just wander up and impale them for an insta-kill.

Also,

Magical Zero posted:

Goddamn, everything about the Crones and the Crookback Bog is amazing. Feels like you're exploring a slavic folk tale.

All I know about those ugly sows is that Good People don't collect human ears and thread them onto some twine and wear them as a necklace. Really wanted to do some cleaning up in that abandoned village. I went and Igni'd the tapestry after they'd waggled their arses at me and flown off, but unfortunately it did nothing. Hoping I get a chance to skewer them later on.

Also on spoilers for that part of the world, Axii trivialises the Ignis Fatuus fight. gently caress that foglet forever, took me about eight tries to kill him before I figured out this one simple trick. Stun him, hit three times, dodge until stam is back, rinse and repeat.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

:doh: figures. I just sold my whole excess inventory for pennies right before reading that.

I kind of like that money is a precious resource at least early in the game. Makes me feel like I should use it wisely instead of just buying everything I come across. If it's anything like most games you probably end up with more gold than you could ever use sooner than later though.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Speaking of item rarities, what is the significance of master/etc. items?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

NESguerilla posted:

If it's anything like most games you probably end up with more gold than you could ever use sooner than later though.

I've just finished up in Novigrad and I have fifteen thousand crowns.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Lel there is a bounty hunter named Djenge Frett in Skellige, that is all.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Elysiume posted:

Speaking of item rarities, what is the significance of master/etc. items?

Someone who has played more might know better, but I think master is blue and is one tier rarer than common and it goes, no color, blue, green, yellow, brown. That might not be exactly right but I think it's pretty much the same color scheme as Diablo.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Autonomous Monster posted:

I've just finished up in Novigrad and I have fifteen thousand crowns.

Yeah I assume that where I am, in the middle of Peasant Misery Simulator 2k15, that because no one has any money, I also will not have any money.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

NESguerilla posted:

Someone who has played more might know better, but I think master is blue and is one tier rarer than common and it goes, no color, blue, green, yellow, brown. That might not be exactly right but I think it's pretty much the same color scheme as Diablo.
I see, thanks.

I just restarted after blowing through W2, and I'm having second thoughts about having killed Sile. How significantly does it affect W3? I know she shows up if you didn't kill her, and I could just re-restart, doing the thing where you talk to the Nilfgaardians.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Does this game really expect me to beat seven drowners all at the same time? What difficulty was this intended to be played on? Even using thunderbolt and necrophage oil, I can't stop rolling for one second because I get stunlocked by one and dogpiled by the rest. I guess I could dodge around and use igni repeatedly but that will take forever and be incredibly boring and I still might lose. What a lovely game.

Edit: Got the number wrong. Six. Still poo poo game.

Darth Windu fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 26, 2015

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Bloody Baron aftermath spoilers:

I came back and there were two scenes with the Baron's guards intimidating the citizens, one with a straight up robbing and the other with an attempted rape. Are there any more and is there any outcome to these events?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Elysiume posted:

I see, thanks.

I just restarted after blowing through W2, and I'm having second thoughts about having killed Sile. How significantly does it affect W3? I know she shows up if you didn't kill her, and I could just re-restart, doing the thing where you talk to the Nilfgaardians.
Don't sweat it, she doesn't play too big of a role. Some people will mention if you killed her or not, and there is a short scene later on, nothing major.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You can fight a bunch of enemies at once if you'd like but it's not necessary. A well placed bomb would likely kill them all though.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Manatee Cannon posted:

You can fight a bunch of enemies at once if you'd like but it's not necessary. A well placed bomb would likely kill them all though.

Samum just blinds them and I don't have the blueprints to make anything else. Are bombs relaly that powerful?

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Darth Windu posted:

Does this game really expect me to beat seven drowners all at the same time? What difficulty was this intended to be played on? Even using thunderbolt and necrophage oil, I can't stop rolling for one second because I get stunlocked by one and dogpiled by the rest. I guess I could dodge around and use igni repeatedly but that will take forever and be incredibly boring and I still might lose. What a lovely game.

Only use roll against big poo poo, and only then if you have to. Dodge virtually everything. With drowners, a lot of it's about learning their attack patterns and not just going all-out - dodge between different targets and use aard to knock a few of them down to keep them out of the fight.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

Green is actually reserved for "Witcher Gear" which is either a step above or below brown but otherwise correct. Blue is "Masterwork", yellow is "Magic", brown is "Relic" which doesn't really mean it's the strongest, just that it's a unique item. There are at least three full sets of upgradeable green Witcher Gear, each corresponding to a school/skill focus (Cat, Bear, Griphon) and a couple of other random pieces (Warrior's Armor which I think is part of the upgrade tutorial and the Viper Silver/Steal Swords from White Orchard). I think fully upgraded Witcher Gear sets are best in slot but there are also some crazy powerful Relic items out there as well.

Ra-amun
Feb 25, 2011

Memento posted:

Yeah I assume that where I am, in the middle of Peasant Misery Simulator 2k15, that because no one has any money, I also will not have any money.

All it takes to be rich in PMS 2k15 is the ability to murder hundreds of bandits and fence their stolen gear to some merchant. Really, the witcher thing is just a sideshow compared to what selling rusty swords and maces will get you.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Darth Windu posted:

You can either maneuver in a way that won't let them surround you or throw bombs, several of them are pretty much made to deal with tightly packed uh... Packs.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ra-amun posted:

All it takes to be rich in PMS 2k15 is the ability to murder hundreds of bandits and fence their stolen gear to some merchant. Really, the witcher thing is just a sideshow compared to what selling rusty swords and maces will get you.

I'm clearly doing something wrong because even with the massive saddlebags full of Novigard and Velen longswords and the occasional large mace, I still only make enough money from selling them to cover repairs. Like, a sword that has a value of 67 when I mouse over it in my inventory will sell for 8, even to a blacksmith who should be all about swords. Do I need to charm them first to make them pay me full value? Even half value would be a massive step up.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Darth Windu posted:

Samum just blinds them and I don't have the blueprints to make anything else. Are bombs relaly that powerful?

Against a low level drowner? Yeah, grapeshot will ruin their day.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Darth Windu posted:

Edit: Got the number wrong. Six. Still poo poo game.

Thunderbolt is the wrong potion for this. Use Tawny Owl (Always Use Tawny Owl) and Petri's Philter if you have it. Dodge around casting Igni and as soon as one of the Drowners lights up toss a Dragons Dream bomb at him--the burning effect will ignite the gas and do huge damage to the rest of the group. If you have any free skill points, slot the training school skill that lets you cast signs with adrenaline and lets you build adrenaline with signs. These two talents in conjunction with stamina boosters like Tawny Owl will let you maintain Quen while still being able to cast signs in combat. If you've got the whole group attacking you all at once can use Yrden to build space for bomb throwing. Lastly, always short dodge forward after landing a hit on enemies that like to hop around (Ghouls, Drowners, etc.). This will bring you closer to the reeling enemy and farther away from the group so you can continue attacking. If you managed to build up three points of adrenaline later in the fight, then you can pop Quen + Thunderbolt and start the murder party.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yrden makes drowners a lot easier, I've found. Quen is kind of a waste of time (unless you have it upgraded?) because they hit fast and often. I don't have Tawny Owl, though, even after like 30 hours of playing.

Also when you set one on fire with igni, switch to a different target. Attacking the same target again will break the "on fire" effect, which means you've lost the crowd control and heavy damage they take from being on fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Just so you know, most of the drowner camps in the starting area start with a couple of explosive barrels in the middle. Just blow the fuckers up