Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

How is milling an rear end in a top hat move?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Bloom Titan, Twin and Infect top 8 all the time.

I like games that go past turn 4. Call me crazy but actually playing the game is fun. Draw go control is boring to me. Combo is boring to me. Playing spells and creatures is fun to me.

There are a ton of creature decks that can kill on turn 4, and with exceptional draws turn 3 in modern. Turn 4 isn't solely a restriction on combo decks.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

akulanization posted:

People like milling cause it's an rear end in a top hat move and this card is really good in the mill decks that assholes like to play. I am the flavor of rear end in a top hat who likes prison and aggro though, so I probably shouldn't throw stones.

EDIT: Not that I think that mill is that good, just that this is a good mill card.

Basically this, with the caveat it's only been printed that once.

Look we can fix modern in one go.

Fixing twin: Instant if your opponent has more than 4 of a creature in play with the same name it is free to cast and cannot be countered. Opponent takes 5 damage for each copy of the creature past 4 they have in play.

Fixing control: enchantment, indestructible, cannot be countered, you may discard a card instead of paying the cost for is spell, if you do pay 3 or exile this spell. if an opponent ends their turn without playing a spell they lose 4 life.

Fixing infect: meliera

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 25, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I once was reading a thread of people trying to make Modern mill competitive. It was really funny seeing the absurd strategies they had planned to not scoop to a single Emrakul existing in a deck.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Elyv posted:

How is milling an rear end in a top hat move?

Some people really dislike non-interactive magic, some people really dislike slow magic; mill is often both pretty low interaction and pretty slow.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Fixing control: enchantment, indestructible, cannot be countered, you may discard a card instead of paying the cost for is spell, if you do pay 3 or exile this spell. if an opponent ends their turn without playing a spell they lose 4 life.

I would begrudgingly play this alongside Keranos because they aren't creatures and I'm not turning anything sideways.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Someone brought Mill to last weeks Modern tournament

He played against Dredgevine. :getin:

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Here's my solution to fixing modern:

Stop being a baby about losing to some card you hate and have fun playing magic.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Here's my solution to fixing modern:

Stop being a baby about losing to some card you hate and have fun playing magic.

I keep saying this for divining top but people whine about it for some dumb reason. Modern miracles would be rad.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
We can't have Top. Every store has that one guy who always plays U/x control in every format and goes into the tank on every decision even when he has no cards in hand, and if you let him have Top every round would go to time.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Basically this, with the caveat it's only been printed that once.

Look we can fix modern in one go.

Fixing twin: Instant if your opponent has more than 4 of a creature in play with the same name it is free to cast and cannot be countered. Opponent takes 5 damage for each copy of the creature past 4 they have in play.

Fixing infect: meliera

Control is fixed in Modern by being poo poo dude

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Entropic posted:

We can't have Top. Every store has that one guy who always plays U/x control in every format and goes into the tank on every decision even when he has no cards in hand, and if you let him have Top every round would go to time.

New rule just for top, if your match ends in a draw and you are playing top, if your opponent is not he wins the match and you lose. If you are both playing top you both lose.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It's almost as if magic could use a secondary system of tie breaking and not rely on an increasingly ineffective pool of judges (by pure number:player ratio) to make sure people aren't playing to time. Cards played over course of game, cards left in deck, whatever. But I'd be glad to hear why magic is a special snowflake that can't use such a system. :allears:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Chill la Chill posted:

It's almost as if magic could use a secondary system of tie breaking and not rely on an increasingly ineffective pool of judges (by pure number:player ratio) to make sure people aren't playing to time. Cards played over course of game, cards left in deck, whatever. But I'd be glad to hear why magic is a special snowflake that can't use such a system. :allears:

I, for one, have always advocated that ties be resolved by fist fight.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Because who cares. Sometimes people draw and that's fine. Trying to find some weird other metric to determine a winner is unnecessary.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Angry Grimace posted:

I would win so many more magic games if this were the case. I'd say this would make for a better spectator sport but then you'll just have Mayweather hugging in two sports.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Chill la Chill posted:

I know you play a lot of X-Wing and it uses a points system, basically if you have more ship value on the board you were winning. Which makes sense in a game like X-Wing more than what would be equivalent to Magic which is life totals. However unlike X-Wing life is as resource in magic, one which you can easily and happily trade for other resources such as drawing extra cards etc. The life totals at the moment a round timer ends doesn't convey what the actual state of the game is unlike X-Wing where killing all opponent ships is the goal, and we just measure who was closer to that goal. X-Wing was designed to essentially not use the points value of matches as a resource in the game itself, so it is a reasonable measurement of who is winning.

What measurement makes sense in magic? Cards in hand, library, graveyard, exile zone? Nope. Those are all variables that don't really tell you much about how the game is going. Life totals? As stated before, can't because game was designed to use life as an in game resource. Board state? Often 100% irrelevant, like if your playing zoo and I'm playing storm, I may have nothing but land and you have a nice built up board and I'm going to kill you next turn, assuming there would be a next turn.

I can't think of any reasonable metric you could decide who should win or lose in magic. You can usually figure it out but only by understanding each deck and seeing who has what in hand on board etc. can you make a determination of who would likely win, and even then you'd probably have to check the next few draws to be close to 100% certain. And that all assumes that both players play optimally, which given that magic has hidden information and what amounts to bluffing, you can't assume that ever.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
all this stupid arguing is just further reasons why you nobody should play modern

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I mean you could just play a deck that's designed to go to time while manipulating whatever the tiebreaker is (eg a deck with a tonne of lifegain and shuffle effects or whatever).

Self-Destruct Button never forget

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jassi, if life totals were the metric you could easily re-flavor/mechanize all existing life payments as gambling for a possible win before the universe ends (time is called). Shot clocks would work but people never like that idea.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

all this stupid arguing is just further reasons why you nobody should play modern

When ever Modern argument here just turns into "I don't like Azban and Twin, give me better blue card draw" is gets loving repetitive

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

I would win so many more magic games if this were the case. I'd say this would make for a better spectator sport but then you'll just have Mayweather hugging in two sports.

It would make the "durdle with Top as long as possible" deck the most popular choice among big dudes.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Chill la Chill posted:

Jassi, if life totals were the metric you could easily re-flavor/mechanize all existing life payments as gambling for a possible win before the universe ends (time is called). Shot clocks would work but people never like that idea.

You could but you know that is nonsense, it makes many black cards like dark confidant, thoughtseize absolute garbage. Black would essentially need a overhaul which is not going to happen in a 20+ year old game. I'm not saying this because I don't think your core idea is wrong, Magic needs a better slow play deterrent than judges, but a tie breaker mechanic isn't it, or at least life total is not it. I think that just making unintentional draws worth 0 or negative points is sufficient, if you play a deck that goes long and you get -1 point per UID you will not win events. It does punish your opponent unfairly to some extent, but if people playing durdle decks or slow playing suddenly can not win events the whole behaviour will get fixed pretty quickly right?

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
One of my favorite magic things is burgeoning rules lawyers who learn that if the match is 1-0 in your favor at the end of turns you win the whole shebang. We had a rash of them locally a couple months back, most of them were slick enough to not say it was their plan so it took some time to sort them out but one boy genius was dumb enough to tell us that was his plan when he came up to ask if he could run across the street to buy some snacks with 10 minutes left in the round.

Also, I would be totally be in favor of chess clocks at regular REL or better, slow play is so hard to determine objectively even though it's almost always the usual suspects still playing when the round goes to time.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

BXCX posted:

One of my favorite magic things is burgeoning rules lawyers who learn that if the match is 1-0 in your favor at the end of turns you win the whole shebang. We had a rash of them locally a couple months back, most of them were slick enough to not say it was their plan so it took some time to sort them out but one boy genius was dumb enough to tell us that was his plan when he came up to ask if he could run across the street to buy some snacks with 10 minutes left in the round.

Also, I would be totally be in favor of chess clocks at regular REL or better, slow play is so hard to determine objectively even though it's almost always the usual suspects still playing when the round goes to time.

My local judges would get around that by handing out slow play penalties like candy if anyone tried it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_boxing

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

What :stare:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

It's actually quite engaging and interesting. It fully requires that you both think about the game from two angles as well as keep your body in shape and capable. So while it seems like a random mish mash (and it is), it's actually very challenging.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Ramos posted:

It's actually quite engaging and interesting. It fully requires that you both think about the game from two angles as well as keep your body in shape and capable. So while it seems like a random mish mash (and it is), it's actually very challenging.

Look at this guy pretending that he has actually chessboxed.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Maybe it should be called Boxchessing.

That sounds much nerdier.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I got to live the dream today playing Naya dragons.

Turn 1 Forest, Mystic
Turn 2 Forest, Mystic, Mystic, Mystic
Turn 3 Mountain, DL Atarka
Turn 4 Xenagod

:v:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Entropic posted:

People are bad at playing with a card. Ban the card!

It should take about 5 seconds the first time you blind spin and maybe 2 every subsequent time. Our resident Miracles player has never had a draw that I know of and spends maybe 2 minutes/match actually Topping.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Plays like that make me miss pre-khans Green Devotion plays of T1 Forest, Mystic, T2 BTE, BTE, BTE, Nykthos, Garruk, minus play Worldspire Wurm.

I miss Big Garruk. :(

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

jassi007 posted:

You could but you know that is nonsense, it makes many black cards like dark confidant, thoughtseize absolute garbage. Black would essentially need a overhaul which is not going to happen in a 20+ year old game. I'm not saying this because I don't think your core idea is wrong, Magic needs a better slow play deterrent than judges, but a tie breaker mechanic isn't it, or at least life total is not it. I think that just making unintentional draws worth 0 or negative points is sufficient, if you play a deck that goes long and you get -1 point per UID you will not win events. It does punish your opponent unfairly to some extent, but if people playing durdle decks or slow playing suddenly can not win events the whole behaviour will get fixed pretty quickly right?

Right. The cure might be worse than the disease. I just enjoy talking about better game mechanics sometimes but typically those are easier to implement for board games that don't have to deal with retroactively change decades' worth of design. I do think there is better merit for a tie breaking mechanic that shows "activity", but tracking down the number of plays/person is also tedious and is more easily implemented in computer games like hearth stone. And I say all this as a UWR control (modern, I don't think there was ever a nice name for it?) and miracles player.

I want to get into this but I need to get way better at chess first. And boxing, not gonna kid myself. :3:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Skyl3lazer posted:

I got to live the dream today playing Naya dragons.

Turn 1 Forest, Mystic
Turn 2 Forest, Mystic, Mystic, Mystic

This is the part where your Bile Blight-playing opponent gets to live the dream, yeah?

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Chill la Chill posted:

I want to get into this but I need to get way better at chess first. And boxing, not gonna kid myself. :3:

After seeing what Gin monks looks like IRL I no longer assume you are all pasty nerds. I feel like there are prob more than a few of us whose boxing could carry their chess skills while chess boxing.

Speaking of excellent mash-up's, if you love booze and cubing you should give the Booze Cube a shot. We had a great afternoon/evening/late night with 8 ppl but make sure you have your couches and spare rooms ready, you will get wasted.

PleasantDirge fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 26, 2015

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Jabor posted:

This is the part where your Bile Blight-playing opponent gets to live the dream, yeah?

I did exactly that with a Golgari Charm in last year's standard. It was my favorite moment of my 3-month long standard career.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Warmachine tournaments were making the switch to mandatory chess clocks on every game a few years ago when I quit. They should just make them mandatory for any sanctioned event once things get pared down to top 16 or so.

I prefer MODO to paper for a lot of reasons, and getting rewarded for zippy play and running the clock to win stalled games is one of the biggest.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Chill la Chill posted:

That doesn't solve the problem. The problem is that a match with Top takes too long not that it's a tie.

Second Sunrise is banned for a similar reason, even though a match with Sunrise generally ends with the Sunrise player winning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

fadam posted:

Warmachine tournaments were making the switch to mandatory chess clocks on every game a few years ago when I quit. They should just make them mandatory for any sanctioned event once things get pared down to top 16 or so.

I prefer MODO to paper for a lot of reasons, and getting rewarded for zippy play and running the clock to win stalled games is one of the biggest.

Unrealistic in magic. Here is how a turn goes in paper magic with a chess clock. I am going first in the game.

hit clock. upkeep, hit clock opponent hits clock
draw card, hit click, opponent hits clock
main phase play fetch, hit clock, opponent has no response, hits clock, get land put it in play.
play spell, hit clock, opponent has no response, hits clock, spell resolves
hit clock, opponent has nothing he wants to do in main 1, hit clock.
Combat, hit clock, opponent has no response, hit clock, skip to main 2 no attackers to declare.
main 2 hit clock, opponent hits clock
end step hit clock, opponent hits clock, now his turn.

That is a stupid amount of actual interaction with the chess clock device for one very simple turn. It isn't feasible. Then we get into the even better idea, what happens when someone forgets to hit the clock for priority? What level of penalty is appropriate?

• Locked thread