Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
For everyone enjoying AccountingNightmare's glorious return, you might also enjoy Wugga's ongoing LP of Rayman Origins as it is also a hyperskilled and extremely thorough run of a very difficult yet well-designed game. It provides a sharp contrast to DMC4, showing how a character with only two moves on a 2D plane can also provide a world of depth and challenge, but I think it's an excellent way to fill the gaps between her updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hey folks, Lt. Danger's Mass Effect 3 thread is back with a vengeance. He's going for an analytical commentary of the themes present in the game and apparently maintains that the ending that pissed everyone off was a good thing - either way, he's got some really great insights into it. Recommended viewing or rather listening to anyone with the slightest interest in the ideas behind storytelling.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Fiendly posted:

For everyone enjoying AccountingNightmare's glorious return, you might also enjoy Wugga's ongoing LP of Rayman Origins as it is also a hyperskilled and extremely thorough run of a very difficult yet well-designed game. It provides a sharp contrast to DMC4, showing how a character with only two moves on a 2D plane can also provide a world of depth and challenge, but I think it's an excellent way to fill the gaps between her updates.

Thanks for pointing out that one, I've been using it to successfully procrastinate for about 2 hours in a row now. It's a very happy game with great music and it's a joy to watch him play.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

anilEhilated posted:

Hey folks, Lt. Danger's Mass Effect 3 thread is back with a vengeance. He's going for an analytical commentary of the themes present in the game and apparently maintains that the ending that pissed everyone off was a good thing - either way, he's got some really great insights into it. Recommended viewing or rather listening to anyone with the slightest interest in the ideas behind storytelling.

Just be aware that the thread and the video series within are decidedly about said themes in the game and not about the game itself. Do not expect to see the game.

E: \/ \/ \/ True. A few episodes into the thread there was a video in which Lt. Danger had muted the game conversation and was just talking over it all, in addition to edits confusing the continuity and making the game's ordinary sequence of events rather unclear. I am uncertain if I agree with the ideas expressed, but there is certainly a lot of thought and effort into the work. I somewhat hesitate to even call it an LP as playing the game yourself is absolutely required. The thread is not for people who want to see ME3.

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 21, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, you'll see it, just not get any explanation for it.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...
Are From Earth's Silent Hill LPs available anywhere?

AmadeusVonBlastoise
Jul 4, 2008

AMADEUS AMADEUS
~DO~DO~
~DO~DO~
Would anyone be able to recommend an LP of The Witcher 1? I'm planning on playing the second game and maybe buying the third, but I'm interested in seeing how the first one goes since I got stuck and stopped playing it.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

AmadeusVonBlastoise posted:

Would anyone be able to recommend an LP of The Witcher 1? I'm planning on playing the second game and maybe buying the third, but I'm interested in seeing how the first one goes since I got stuck and stopped playing it.

I was in the same spot you were, and ended up watching Mr. Odd's run of the game. It's not a ridiculously comprehensive LP as he goes in blind; he misses some stuff here and there (like the "best" resolution to a quest, and pretty sure some other stuff I didn't know existed), but I think it's worth recommending if you just want to see how the story goes.
I usually shy away from blind LPs, but I like this guy's style and I think most of his stuff is quite good in a "guy figuring out a game" way without being obnoxious.

AmadeusVonBlastoise
Jul 4, 2008

AMADEUS AMADEUS
~DO~DO~
~DO~DO~
I'll check it out, thanks.

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.

Copernic posted:

Are From Earth's Silent Hill LPs available anywhere?

https://web.archive.org/web/20110304182825/http://lparchive.org/Silent-Hill-1/

https://web.archive.org/web/20120104231918/http://lparchive.org/Silent-Hill-2/

https://web.archive.org/web/20110123014837/http://lparchive.org/Silent-Hill-3/

https://web.archive.org/web/20110123014841/http://lparchive.org/Silent-Hill-4/

These seem to work, but I haven't checked beyond the first update. I'm surprised that they got purged though, I loved those LPs.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I can really tell why people want to retain this humor:

VVVVVV
Yes, homophobic slurs are slighty off-color.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 23, 2015

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.

Niggurath posted:

I can really tell why people want to retain this humor:

Oh no, a slightly off-color joke. The horror.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!
Anyone have any good streams or VLPs of GalCiv 3 and/or Elite: Dangerous going on? I don't really have a mind for strategy, but those games look awesome, and I want someone who knows what they're doing play those games.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

mkob is doing God Hand, which you should watch for two reasons:
  1. It's God Hand.
  2. He's insanely good at it.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

mkob is doing God Hand, which you should watch for two reasons:
  1. It's God Hand.
  2. He's insanely good at it.

Allow me to echo this and simplify your list
  1. He is God Hand

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

Allow me to echo this and simplify your list
  1. He is God Hand

His right arm is the god hand.
(god hand!)

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

No but seriously he is hands-down the best. Like did you think KFJ was good in his LP of it? Because this guy is doing a fresh Hard Mode playthrough with a kick-me sign. No roulettes, no God Hand usages, and he doesn't have the full movelist pre-unlocked. He is insane (and insanely good at the game)

It's like playing Nightmare Diablo II with an unleveled hardcore character.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Oh, come on, noone is that goo...

:stare:

He is Alexander.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I've never seen godhand before. I mean I'd heard of it and an ex-girlfriend of mine liked to play it so I had watched her a bit, but I've never sen much of the game.

This LP is pretty incredible. I had to watch the tutorial videos he posted so that I could really understand what he was doing in detail but even as a complete newbie to the series it's pretty amazing what he can do.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I was probably going to try out God Hand after I finished up the one I'm on but yeah this dude's quite legit. He's really good and he's not using cheesy moves either. Basically anything I would put up as far as gameplay goes pales in comparison to a huge extent. poo poo. My defense is pregnable and my style is quite petuous.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
I'm a big fan of narrative in Let's Play - does anyone have any good recommendations for Let's Plays where the LP writer writes their own dialogue for the characters? I know a few years back [before I even signed up for the forums!] I read a pretty good one about Animal Crossing, although that one, let's just say, went sort of... off the rails :o:. I'm looking for something that's a little more traditionally an LP... preferably something ongoing too, because I like being able to look forward to updates. Cheers!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

no they will not posted:

I'm a big fan of narrative in Let's Play - does anyone have any good recommendations for Let's Plays where the LP writer writes their own dialogue for the characters? I know a few years back [before I even signed up for the forums!] I read a pretty good one about Animal Crossing, although that one, let's just say, went sort of... off the rails :o:. I'm looking for something that's a little more traditionally an LP... preferably something ongoing too, because I like being able to look forward to updates. Cheers!

Nakar's Ultima LP's on the Archive are a joy to behold, as is The Terrible Secret of Animal Crossing. But they're both finished.

For current ones, I don't really see much on the boards right now, so I'll let someone else suggest something for you.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

no they will not posted:

I seem to remember a Gordon Freeman in Fallout one.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

no they will not posted:

This one is probably my favorite "Narrative" style LP: http://lparchive.org/Grand-Theft-Auto-San-Andreas-%28Screenshot%29/
It's GTA:SA with additions to explain most of the random stuff in it and to improve the flow.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

no they will not posted:

The Dark Id's stuff is pretty good. He does that for most games, with the exception of Nier, which he liked too much to bother editing in new dialogue.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

no they will not posted:

Chokes's LP of Final Fantasy Legend 2 sounds pretty close to what you want. It's a fun romp through a goofy game with some of the most obtuse mechanics ever seen. He rewrites pretty much all of the dialog (and it's a Gameboy game, so there wasn't much to begin with). His LP of the first FFL is on the archive as well; he makes some callbacks to it in the current thread, but it's not required reading (though it's also quite good).

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The Dark Id's stuff is pretty good. He does that for most games, with the exception of Nier, which he liked too much to bother editing in new dialogue.

Are you sure about that? I read it a little bit ago and I could have sworn I saw some of his trademark edits in there.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

ChaosArgate posted:

Are you sure about that? I read it a little bit ago and I could have sworn I saw some of his trademark edits in there.

I think there were a few, but not as many as usual.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Planescape: Torment is by far the best narrative LP ive read. Its on the LPArchive, but it is long as gently caress. It really picks up when the skull's origins come into play, but that's just the hook which snags you to binge the last half of the LP in one sitting. The rest is drat good, just not binge-in-one-sitting good.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The Torment LP is good, really good, but it is literally 400,000+ words long and I feel like that's something you should warn people about beforehand

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I said it was long as gently caress :v:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Another exception is his ongoing Drakengard 3 LP, because Drakengard 3 is doing it for him.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Didja Redo's LPs do this: Riviera is cute but Avalon Code turns a largely crummy game into something surprisingly affecting.

Bobbin Threadbare does it too. The Quest For Glory games aren't hugely changed but the games themselves are charming as hell and Bobbin's a fun writer so it works. Academagia's fun too. Realms of Arkania III and Temple of Elemental Evil are great reads if you're enough of a nerd to enjoy the 'D&D session' gimmick.

I second Chokes McGee's Final Fantasy Legend Legend LPs, but more vehemently recommend the first one which is just great as hell.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
berryjon's finished Exile 1 is pretty good. There's also his currently ongoing Exile 2 thread as well.

Edit: It's worth mentioning that berryjon carries a character from the first LP into the second and ties some things between the two games together, so it's worth reading the first before the second.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
I've making my way through the Lunar Dragon Song LP, and can't look away from the trainwreck. What are some other excellent SSLPs of terrible, terrible games?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ProfessorProf posted:

I've making my way through the Lunar Dragon Song LP, and can't look away from the trainwreck. What are some other excellent SSLPs of terrible, terrible games?

My LP buddy Nine-Gear Crow made a hilarious series on cult classic terrible game White Knight Chronicles. He put a hell of a lot of effort into showing off pretty much every aspect of the game and even though he emphasizes many times that the game itself can be skull-numbingly boring to actually play, the LP's fat is trimmed so that it isn't that way to read. I highly recommend it if you like RPG logic, easy to make fun of "protagonist"s, and JAPAN :argh:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Yeah, WKC is a good choice. It's not as bad as Lunar: Dragon Song, but that's a pretty high bar to clear.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

ProfessorProf posted:

I have laughed really, really hard at slowbeef's two LPs (one for each playable character) of Sprung:
http://lparchive.org/Sprung-(Brett)/
http://lparchive.org/Sprung-(Becky)/
(in that order)

They've been kicking around a while so you may have already seen them. But man.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

no they will not posted:

Gazillionaire Deluxe by Didja Redo is, straight up, my favorite narrative LP. It simply oozes charm, and he had the whole thread captivated. I would recommend reading the thread for it, but the whole thing is on the LP Archive. It even has an introductory hook before you even click on the first chapter!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balqis
Sep 5, 2011

I've been really enjoying Miki's LP of the Grailquest Gamebooks . I generally enjoy thread participation, CYOA games, but what I really love about this is how charming and witty the writing is. It's a pretty self aware romp through through the world of King Arthur, slaying monsters and the occasional sick poetry throwdown. Currently in progress with the second of the series.