Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Prav posted:

You could probably convince me that it was better than the current IS-4, even with 710 missing HP and short VR.

The IS-4 has no armor at all so the extra HP would be counteracted by being able to bounce 200 pen shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

8° depression, man.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Bat chat arty shotguns will never get old. I really need to make a gif of some of these. I just ruined a t57 heavy's day when catching him in reload, coming up to his side and unloading the last shell in my clip which penned and killed him.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
I was just looking at the IS-8 vs the IS7. It looks like the IS-8's gun actually has more penetration, better accuracy, better aim time and better DPM (but negligible). Is there any other tier 9/10 combo where this is the case? It looks like the 122mm M62-T2 is better in every regard except alpha than the 130mm S-70. Obviously alpha is important, and the IS-7 is better in pretty much every other appreciable way, but I just thought this was kinda weird.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Definitely super OP. Glad they're nerfing this thing.

I don't get it. This tank went so well on the test server and it seemed to do enough that I wanted. Reasonable gun combined with "outstanding for a medium" armour and decent speed. I play it on live and T57's beat me for acceleration. A loving T57 will outrun a 113 except on rather long flat stretches. What the gently caress? :psyboom: I swear it was fast on the test server. I swear. :tinfoil: The modules make me think it's actually just an oversized A-44 with how many things break or die.

The teams have been unbelievably poo poo so don't read too much into the winrate or survival rate, though two or three of those games were completely my fault. It's not just the teams though, the 113 just isn't performing.

The weirder thing is that it's a complete beast at sidescraping. I guess I can see why with those flat, semi-respectable sides with thick tracks, but that's about all it can do. For some reason the bar for mastery is actually decently high, which meant my 7400 damage 5 kills game (all within my own spotting range) didn't count for anything.

This might be the first t10 tank I sell, but I'll have to give it another try when I'm less mad or platooned.]

e: Still better than the A-44 though. gently caress that thing.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The IS-7 is getting some buffs to it's gun in 9.8 if I remember correctly. I think it was purely on handling though. The IS-8 is getting something as well.

But yeah, it was a bit of a disappointment to unlock the 7 and find the gun so unwieldy.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

M.C. McMic posted:

I was just looking at the IS-8 vs the IS7. It looks like the IS-8's gun actually has more penetration, better accuracy, better aim time and better DPM (but negligible). Is there any other tier 9/10 combo where this is the case? It looks like the 122mm M62-T2 is better in every regard except alpha than the 130mm S-70. Obviously alpha is important, and the IS-7 is better in pretty much every other appreciable way, but I just thought this was kinda weird.

There's room to argue that the IS-7 has the better gold shell. Anyway, the WZ-111 1-4 and 113 does the same gun swap but the other way around (in case the 113 just wasn't disappointing enough) and there's also the E-75/E-100 that does it with a much larger alpha difference.

Comedy answer M41/T49.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Hellsau posted:

Don't worry - in my STB-1 tonight I shot 22 times, hit 18, penned 7. It was in Clan Wars and we lost. I am loving terrible. I did hit 3 enemy guns though - for no actual critical damage.

Also the LTTB is hilariously better than the WZ-132 in every single way except a very slight decrease in HP and camo. The WZ-132 is such a lovely tank that it's worse than at least three tier 7 lights - the T71 and M41 are obviously nuts, and the LTTB goes super fast and has an extremely good gun. 950 HP on a tier 7 light is bananas and a 4.3 second reload and great pen makes the gun great. I hope the T-54 Light is as good as people seem to be claiming, but I'm not sure how it can be better than the RU251.

The only downside to the LTTB is its awful gun depression, I'm probably just spoiled from the Ru 251 and M41, but I've missed out on a ton of shots because of its lack of depression.

Magres posted:

I'm done, a T49 full penned me with derp HE from across the map while I was in my M103. He scraped along my rear engine deck and hit one of the tiny bumps in the deck to full pen me for 1049 damage.

I'm free! Is talking about selling game accounts against the rules here? Ideally I can pawn my account, recoup some of my losses, and be permanently done instead of letting this loving awful game drag me back in yet again.

The T49 is pretty much bullshit incarante with its gun. The amount of poo poo I've seen one pull is beyond compare.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
The IS8 used to be better than the IS7 before its armor was nerfed. It used to have like 500 pen HEAT too. It was quite a hoot penning anything everywhere.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Prav posted:

There's room to argue that the IS-7 has the better gold shell.

How's that? The IS-8's gold shell has 37mm more penetration. It looks significantly better. Is it some sort of difference between HEAT and APCR? Do they have different characteristics?

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
HEAT doesn't normalize, and gets royally hosed over by spaced armor and tracks. All else being equal APCR is vastly better, and even APCR with less pen can be more reliably useful than high-pen HEAT.

e: Does HEAT get any benefit from overmatching?

Steelion fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 26, 2015

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Steelion posted:

e: Does HEAT get any benefit from overmatching?

Overmatching is a multiplicative benefit, so no. The biggest HEAT shell in the game will still bounce off of thin armor if you can hit at an autobounce angle.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Rorac posted:

Overmatching is a multiplicative benefit, so no. The biggest HEAT shell in the game will still bounce off of thin armor if you can hit at an autobounce angle.
this and the problem with spaced armor/tracks makes HEAT pretty lovely compared to APCR

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

APCR doesn't make that sweet sweet troll hiss when it pens though.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
Speaking of APCR and pen, I just lobbed half a dozen APCR shots from my Type 59 at an ST-I and didn't pen once. He was at a bit of range and angled pretty well, but gently caress. I thought I'd get lucky once or twice. He only has 140mm of armor for fucks sake. :saddowns:

frood
Aug 26, 2000
Nevermind.

Desuwa posted:

For some reason the bar for mastery is actually decently high, which meant my 7400 damage 5 kills game (all within my own spotting range) didn't count for anything.

The bar for mastery is high because it's an unpopular tank which is probably only played by people who really like it's style and have become decent with it.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

M.C. McMic posted:

I am sort of thinking about getting the IS-4, since that gun on a mobile and reasonably armoured chassis. And then I realised I have to play through the rest of that line starting from the KV-3 and just goes, nah, not worth.
The ST-I looks fun, but ultimately not worth it. I would probably rather go the Chinese heavy line where the WZ-111-4 looks fun.

Hellsau posted:

You can technically get LT-15 from east spawn on Swamp, north spawn on Redshire, south spawn on Highway, and sometimes on Malinovka if the teams work out just right. Otherwise it's all Prok all the time.

How much spotting was that? It's hard to get enough HP to walk into your team's snipers for the higher missions on that Redshire spot or the Swamp one, but pubbies are always terrible so sometimes you get lucky.

4.8k spotting damage.
I was kinda lucky that the Protos decided to go east as well as that T32 suiciding, as well as having 2 toon mates sitting on the hill shooting what I spotted.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Cardiac posted:

I am sort of thinking about getting the IS-4, since that gun on a mobile and reasonably armoured chassis. And then I realised I have to play through the rest of that line starting from the KV-3 and just goes, nah, not worth.
The ST-I looks fun, but ultimately not worth it. I would probably rather go the Chinese heavy line where the WZ-111-4 looks fun.

The kv-4 is much fun though. Even though the 107 is unique to the tank, it still works well. Also, the tank itself is pretty good at being a brick wall at a more reasonable tier (I've made bad e-75s panic and bounce all their shells before, but that was shortly after the line came out). If you have the is-8 fully researched already, then the st-i's pain is already covered as you'll have it available to grab. If you had gone that line first, you would have had to use the d-25t at tier 9 till you could unlock the bl-9. And then that gun till the fun 122.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

subhelios posted:

He didn't even loving read the ticket did he.

They usually don't read the tickets. I had to go through this with some WGNA retard who was clearly not reading what I was typing. WGNA CS is as incompetent as the playerbase.

Missing Name posted:

:siren: PSEUDOEFFORT POST INCOMING :siren:

It effectively changes your minimum and maximum depression angles, which in turn will effect your minimum firing range. Have a sleep-deprived, somewhat alcohol-induced MS paint drawing:

In both figures, θ1 is the same angle - bound by the maximum gun elevation (in most arty, signifying the greatest possible range) and minimum gun depression (this is the shortest possible range.) To further simplify this, we'll assume that the SPG can only elevate to θ1, not strait up. And the minimum angle is 0 - the x-axis. PHYSICS.

The top figure shows what level ground can do. Since the minimum gun depression will launch a shell with no upward momentum, it will soon fall to the earth due to gravity. Any FASCIST SCUM in this zone can be struck, likely hitting the sides of the target. This is called "shotgun range" in the scientific community. It WILL be more difficult to you know, hit the ground. Anything in the green zone can be struck from a nosediving round, penetrating the top armor (elytra) and and destroying the abdomen. Beetle guts will go flying in a glorious explosion called "ammo racking." This is usually where you want to shoot.

Also, my framerate has nosedived recently. No clue why.

You're kind of on the right track. Note that just because your effective maximum angle increases on the backside of a hill doesn't mean your shell's range will increase (if the rest of the terrain is level.) The shell doesn't magically have more propellant, and is still affected by gravity. It will actually have a shorter range than on level ground because it's being fired up at a higher angle; the effect is exactly the same as if you could elevate the gun higher than in the first setup. Greater angle, steeper descent, but shorter range, maximum range being at 45°. Remember, g = 9.8 m/s². It's been a long time since I last studied physics, but these are the basics I remember. Your angles are right but the X values are off.

Magres posted:

I'm done, a T49 full penned me with derp HE from across the map while I was in my M103. He scraped along my rear engine deck and hit one of the tiny bumps in the deck to full pen me for 1049 damage.

I'm free! Is talking about selling game accounts against the rules here? Ideally I can pawn my account, recoup some of my losses, and be permanently done instead of letting this loving awful game drag me back in yet again.

I don't think it's against the rules (but can't be bothered to check for sure.) IDDQD listed his in SA-mart but it doesn't appear to have sold.

M.C. McMic posted:

I have both the IS-7 & IS-4 and I can tell you I strongly prefer the M62 over the S-70. Part of it is the soft stats, but the latter is still a relic (like the Maus' gun) from the early days that suffers from power creep. (Compare it to the E5 or FV215 120 mm guns for example.)

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
What I like/hate about the IS8 gun, is that the HEAT rounds are able to penetrate the VK 45 frontally.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

CitizenKain posted:

The T49 is pretty much bullshit incarante with its gun. The amount of poo poo I've seen one pull is beyond compare.

T49 has joined the (I)SU-152 in the tanks that make me instantly start praying for RNG jebus to save me when one decloaks with it's barrel pointed right at me.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Incidentally the T49 is also praying.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

M.C. McMic posted:

Speaking of APCR and pen, I just lobbed half a dozen APCR shots from my Type 59 at an ST-I and didn't pen once. He was at a bit of range and angled pretty well, but gently caress. I thought I'd get lucky once or twice. He only has 140mm of armor for fucks sake. :saddowns:

I've taken to almost solely firing APCR out of my IS and it's been met with some amazing reactions, especially from tier 9 tanks that think I can't pen them (and the angle/pen xvm mod helping me shoot them). Had a Cent 7/1 last night telling me to learn to aim instead of "making GBS threads gold" when I was shooting through his suspension and striking his LFP.

Rothmog
Jul 26, 2011
Managed to grind out the last 30k on the AT-15, 50k on the T-34-2, and 45k on the A-44 yesterday. This one holiday made it possible for the me to get rid of three of my most hated tanks. I am so happy the founding fathers had internet tanks in mind when they established Labor Day. :911:

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I'm an Xbox player but didn't get an answer in that thread so hopefully these questions are general enough to get a relevant reply here.

What do I need to do to get the most from the Bishop tier V British artillery? I loved the Birch Gun and might repurchase it but I just can't get my head around the Bishop at all.
Also any pre-purchase advice for the AMX 12t?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

The most-get: ridding yourself of the 25pdr. Your range is now rather short, but the shot trajectory is almost vertical. Enjoy your circular aim zone for roof penetrations erryday.

(they didn't change it after 9.0, right?)

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Haquer posted:

I've taken to almost solely firing APCR out of my IS and it's been met with some amazing reactions, especially from tier 9 tanks that think I can't pen them (and the angle/pen xvm mod helping me shoot them). Had a Cent 7/1 last night telling me to learn to aim instead of "making GBS threads gold" when I was shooting through his suspension and striking his LFP.

I use the same enhanced penetration mod, and I couldn't pen that ST-I to save my life. I guess it was either really terrible luck or I was picking bad spots to shoot on his hull given his angle to me (or both). But, given that my penetration with APCR in the Type 59 is something like 250 and the fact that his hull armor is 140, I figured my chances were better than 0/6.

Rothmog posted:

I am so happy the founding fathers had internet tanks in mind when they established Labor Day. :911:

Memorial Day.

Rothmog
Jul 26, 2011

M.C. McMic posted:

Memorial Day.

Someone doesn't get sarcasm. You didn't catch that the founding fathers had nothing to do with Memorial Day.....

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Rothmog posted:

Someone doesn't get sarcasm. You didn't catch that the founding fathers had nothing to do with Memorial Day.....

Hey, good one.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

Desuwa posted:

For some reason the bar for mastery is actually decently high, which meant my 7400 damage 5 kills game (all within my own spotting range) didn't count for anything.

that reason is named donkeyhotay, hth

every other time i see him he's in the 113

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

rossmum posted:

that reason is named donkeyhotay, hth

every other time i see him he's in the 113

Sorry.

I don't know why people say the 113 has bad armor when mine has a higher armor utilization than every t10 that isn't a maus, including the e100

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Just saw the HD picture of the 110E5. Looks pretty nice.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

JuffoWup posted:

The kv-4 is much fun though.

At tier VIII, absolutely. At tier X every strength the tank has is nullified and every weakness magnified massively. You're suddenly an incredibly slow and clumsy shitbox with no armour and an inadequate gun for the way you have to play. Tier IX is only marginally better.

I detest the KV-4 because of that. It's a much much harsher experience than any of the other tier VIII tanks I've played. To the point where I've put 91,000 combat experience on it towards the ST-I and I just cannot make myself play it any more. It is by a massive margin my lowest win rate tank,

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
How can the loving Challenger be so awful after the Firefly was so great? I hate this goddamn thing! Someone help me!

Rothmog
Jul 26, 2011

RanKizama posted:

Someone help me!

The Charioteer is worth every second of the pain!

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
The Challenger is more or less literally a tier 7 Firefly/Achilles, with just enough mobility to get yourself into trouble, a slower turret, and literally zero redeeming qualities.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

The 9.8 map changes look really good, for the most part. I think most people already knew about the Karelia and Sand River changes, but Westfield is also getting big changes. The northwest and southeast sections of the map are both getting big changes. You can see them in the imbedded viewers here: http://worldoftanks.com/en/news/pc-browser/17/98-map-change/

Siegfried Line is also getting some changes that are supposed to help the assaulting team in Assault mode, but I don't see how the changes are really going to help. All they did was make the bunkers larger and added some destroyed tanks for additional cover. It might have the opposite effect of encouraging baddies to sit in the field behind the improved hard cover and get pinned down from the very beginning, rather than having them scurry into town ASAP.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Uranium 235 posted:

The 9.8 map changes look really good, for the most part. I think most people already knew about the Karelia and Sand River changes, but Westfield is also getting big changes. The northwest and southeast sections of the map are both getting big changes. You can see them in the imbedded viewers here: http://worldoftanks.com/en/news/pc-browser/17/98-map-change/

Siegfried Line is also getting some changes that are supposed to help the assaulting team in Assault mode, but I don't see how the changes are really going to help. All they did was make the bunkers larger and added some destroyed tanks for additional cover. It might have the opposite effect of encouraging baddies to sit in the field behind the improved hard cover and get pinned down from the very beginning, rather than having them scurry into town ASAP.

Looks good. They really need to release a map-building toolkit and let the player base work up some maps. A few new maps a year would really freshen things up. They also need to revamp their map server so we aren't stuck with ~10 maps a day. Every map should be in the rotation at all times.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Hahaha what? The actual way to help the assaulting team is to not split them up in two different spawn locations since being defense on Siegfried Line is the easiest thing ever - push straight west, kill the northern half of the enemy team, then kill the southern spawning enemies. Or just make the field not worthless and swap where the two teams spawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

http://wotreplays.com/site/1909970?secret=312ed6d0ae528194ecee95d9019072ba
I don't really get on with the M103. I'm not sure why but I can never really get the gun to behave for me and it has probably the worst win rate of any of my tanks. For some reason in this game it tried to make it up to me and just let me pen whatever I wanted to from the edges of render distance. Also props to the t-54 lightweight who did a ridiculously good job of lighting up targets for me, hopefully he was on a LT-15.