Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:

graph posted:

the storm ads were just great

:pushes clickyscreen: WHOA. DID YOU SEE THAT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG2xmyLE528

feels so... right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

ugh UGH

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
how is that book going to make any sales when it's giving away the best part for free

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0SBdtsD4vk

im the guy in the video about a mobile os looking at his watch to find out what time it is

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

the leader of the official opposition has a new ad, mostly notable for his blackberry from 0:21

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGnrZqIk2fI&t=21s

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Management posted:

yeah, those palm phones, the Moto razr, and the samsung blackjack were really kicking blackberry's rear end

A shitload more people had razrs than all blackberries ever.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Nintendo Kid posted:

A shitload more people had razrs than all blackberries ever.

which is why Motorola was so successful

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Management posted:

which is why Motorola was so successful

Motorola still can sell more than 8000 phones in a year.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Nintendo Kid posted:

Motorola still can sell more than 8000 phones in a year.

:boom:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
this is apparently from last friday, but i only just saw it on the facebook trending thing and didn't see it posted here, so... blackberry is laying off an unspecified number of employees worldwide, apparently affecting their hardware and software teams.

CBC News posted:

"As the company moves into its next stage of the turnaround, our intention is to re-allocate resources in ways that will best enable us to capitalize on growth opportunities while driving toward sustainable profitability across all facets of our business," the company said in an emailed statement.

BlackBerry had about 7,000 global employees as of September 2014. About half worked in Canada, with most of them in the Waterloo region.

BlackBerry said it plans to boost sales and marketing activity in the coming months, as well as secure strategic partnerships with other businesses and hire more employees focused both on sales and "high growth" areas of its business.

The latest round of job cuts comes after chief executive John Chen said last August that BlackBerry had come to the end of three years of layoffs.

Chen has been focused on shifting BlackBerry's priorities since he joined the company in November 2013. However, he has faced an onslaught of competition from other phone manufacturers including Apple, which first wanted a slice of the consumer market but is now aggressively pursuing large corporate clients.

Instead of making smartphones a priority, Chen has pivoted BlackBerry's strategy towards mobile software services that emphasize higher security levels and are aimed squarely at the business community and government.

BlackBerry began to turn a small profit last year, but the overall revenues of its phones and software services continue to decline.

Last month, the company said it was in negotiations to close its offices in Sweden, which employed about 100 people, but at the time said it needed to work out details with a local union. The company declined to say whether the latest cuts included those offices.

At the peak of its success, the company had about 20,000 employees around the world before making dramatic cuts in recent years.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it's just kind of depressing now. if they were smart they would have bought Good a few years ago, but why start making smart decisions now?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

The Management posted:

it's just kind of depressing now. if they were smart they would have bought Good a few years ago, but why start making smart decisions now?

They are also wanting to do a stock buyback.

http://business.financialpost.com/investing/blackberry-ltd-planning-share-buyback-to-offset-employee-incentives

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Probably nothing but the latest "reports" are that MS is "looking to bid" $7 billion for BB.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

pretty sure they wouldn't need to bid that much

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
blackberry: worth exactly 2.8 minecrafts

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Wheany posted:

way overvalued.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

didnt they have like 2 instagrams of cash on hand?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
tbh it would have made a lot more sense than the Nokia purchase. but it's too late now

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Wheany posted:

LastInLine posted:

making everything relative is not helping

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

LastInLine posted:

i remember when microsoft had like 20 or 40 billion in cash on hand but that was several years ago. dunno what they've got lying around these days.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

nonono, blackberry has three instagrams of coh, implausibly.

(though they also have two instagrams of debt, so they're net one instagram, which isn't bad at all)

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

microsoft has more like two ubers of cash on hand.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

nonono, blackberry has three instagrams of coh, implausibly.

(though they also have two instagrams of debt, so they're net one instagram, which isn't bad at all)

i didnt know bb had debt. back when they were teetering on going under at any moment i remember they were valued at less than the actual money they held

like somehow 2b in dollar bills were worth less because it was them who had it

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
this is like the fifth rumored buyout of be in a couple years, who's moving stock this go around

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

LastInLine posted:

like somehow 2b in dollar bills were worth less because it was them who had it

this is exactly what it means when the stock market values you at less than your assets

management is so stupid that shareholders don't think the firm can even be liquidated successfully

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

i got invited to a discussion panel with the co-coes (lizardlips and ballsilly) as well as the authors of that book about how bb underestimated the iphone. free lunch and open bar so why not.

quote:

we are anticipating this to be a lively and spirited discussion

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Mr. Apollo posted:

i got invited to a discussion panel with the co-coes (lizardlips and ballsilly) as well as the authors of that book about how bb underestimated the iphone. free lunch and open bar so why not.
refer to him as "jim silly-balls" just once with a straight face and no further acknowledgment that you have done so

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

take a shot whenever someone says "quantum valley"

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Mr. Apollo posted:

gently caress yes

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
blackberry season starts in a month... looking forward to eating some fresh berries.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
The Inside Story of How the iPhone Crippled BlackBerry

‘Losing the Signal’ examines Research In Motion’s efforts to take on Apple’s game-changing smartphone

Someone with an account post highlights pls

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

RubberJohnny posted:

The Inside Story of How the iPhone Crippled BlackBerry

‘Losing the Signal’ examines Research In Motion’s efforts to take on Apple’s game-changing smartphone

Someone with an account post highlights pls
google the url, wsj lets google referrals view the full article for free :ssh:

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:
this was already posted earlier, but this is a key bit

quote:

Mr. Lazaridis’s solution was Storm, a phone that was little more than a prototype in 2007. Like the iPhone, Storm featured a glass screen. Unlike Apple’s phone, it had a movable screen. Users could activate the phone’s digital keyboard by pressing the screen down, replicating the click and tactile pleasure that made BlackBerry’s physical keyboard so popular.

Verizon officials loved Storm, promising a marketing budget of as much as $100 million to promote Storm in thousands of retail outlets. It was a huge breakthrough in the U.S. market for BlackBerry, and Mr. Lazaridis felt he couldn’t say no even though Verizon set a punishing deadline of launching Storm by the spring of 2008.

The nine-month deadline came and went, and it wasn’t until 15 months later in November 2008 that RIM was able to start shipping Storm phones for the busy Christmas season. Internally, most of RIM’s engineers knew the company was shipping a flawed product.

The browser was painfully slow, the clickable screen didn’t respond well in the corners and the device often froze and reset. Like most tech companies launching a glitchy product, RIM played for time. Verizon stoked sales with heavy subsidies, while RIM’s engineers raced to introduce software upgrades to eliminate Storm’s many bugs. “It was the best-selling initial product we ever had,” says Mr. Lazaridis, with 1 million devices sold in the first two months. “We couldn’t meet demand.”

Storm’s success was fleeting. By the time Mr. Balsillie was summoned to Verizon’s Basking Ridge, N.J., headquarters in the spring of 2009 to review the carrier’s sales data, RIM’s senior executives knew Storm was a wipeout. Virtually every one of the 1 million Storm phones shipped in 2008 needed replacing, Verizon’s chief marketing officer, John Stratton, told Mr. Balsillie. Many of the replacements were being returned as well. Storm was a complete failure, and Mr. Stratton wanted RIM to pay.

[...] Mr. Lazaridis was convinced Storm was the kind of device BlackBerry should continue to improve. RIM would take another stab at a clickable screen with Storm 2. Even though sales were tepid, Mr. Lazaridis persisted with the clickable Storm screen until 2010, when U.S. carriers finally lost interest.
and here's the commercial someone remembered, because it is great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG2xmyLE528

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Apple just announced that you are now use a physical keyboard for iPad

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

it was very boring. lazardis cancelled at the last minute because "it's still difficult to talk about" so it was just silly-balls

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 9, 2015

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mr. Apollo posted:

it was very boring. lazardis cancelled at the last minute because "it's still difficult to talk about" so it was just silly-balls

:laffo:

Balsillie gave a commencement address at a college I know, and was quite possibly high.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Subjunctive posted:

:laffo:

Balsillie gave a commencement address at a college I know, and was quite possibly high.
he still uses a playbook :shobon:

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Mr. Apollo posted:

lol wow.

I wonder how he feels about them getting ready to demolish RIM 8 on Philip street.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Bonzo posted:

Apple just announced that you are now use a physical keyboard for iPad

this has been possible for a long time, possibly since it was it was released.

Mr. Apollo posted:

I just want to know if he understands what went wrong or if he still thinks consumers care about keyboards and data efficiency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I unironically miss my physical blackberry 950 keyboard, but I wouldn't give up the last 15 years of phone improvements to get it back

• Locked thread