Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I'm about halfway through the latest series of PoI and given I found a good part of Season 1 a slog, it's impressive how it manages to change the status quo and keep advancing, but not in a way that suggests they're out of ideas. It doesn't always work successfully, but it impressively doesn't just spin wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
What's that new crime show with Matt Dillon? Sounds like Twin Peaks. Worth a try?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

midnightclimax posted:

What's that new crime show with Matt Dillon? Sounds like Twin Peaks. Worth a try?

gently caress no

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
huh really? pfft. I always though Matt Dillon is a fun actor, was hoping for some interim true detective.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

midnightclimax posted:

Wayward Pines and maybe try getting more than one opinion because others have said they like it.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

midnightclimax posted:

huh really? pfft. I always though Matt Dillon is a fun actor, was hoping for some interim true detective.

It's nowhere close to TD in quality, but it's an interesting show in the Twin Peaks vein. I've been enjoying it. Give the first couple a shot, see what you think.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah also don't listen to anything corn in the bible says concerning tv.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
corn in the bible, I trusted you.

Dogeatdog
Jun 17, 2005
While looking for information about Twin Peaks because I've never seen it, I stumbled across this place

http://www.twinpeaksrestaurant.com/

I first thought it was some fake website tie-in because it was so crazy ridiculous. I was shocked to realize it is a real restaurant with over 50 locations (with a shocking amount in Dallas). Has anybody been to one of these things and is it as uncomfortable to eat there as I imagine it to be?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dogeatdog posted:

While looking for information about Twin Peaks because I've never seen it, I stumbled across this place

I first thought it was some fake website tie-in because it was so crazy ridiculous. I was shocked to realize it is a real restaurant with over 50 locations (with a shocking amount in Dallas). Has anybody been to one of these things and is it as uncomfortable to eat there as I imagine it to be?

Er, not been watching the news lately huh?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wayward Pines is fun so far, good actors doing their best overperforming and some good direction from M. Night. It's goofy but seems to be aware of it. I almost stopped watching after I read what the big twist is but if they roll with it it could work.

Dogeatdog
Jun 17, 2005
I've had finals and no, really haven't. I was flabbergasted just by the website.

Now after reading about the shootings, it's even more crazy....

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Dogeatdog posted:

It just looks like a rustic outdoorsy version of Hooters to me.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

hcreight posted:

It just looks like a rustic outdoorsy version of Hooters to me.

Biker gangs have massive shootouts there over bathroom altercations so it's probably slightly more classy than Hooters.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

GreenNight posted:

Yeah also don't listen to anything corn in the bible says concerning tv.

If you had read the books you wouldn't recommend Wayward Pines

also the gently caress is your problem, do you even know what tv shows I like

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I read the books and I'm liking the series of Wayward Pines.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I'm watching Maron. Episode 9, Season 1. Did Maron take the movie role or not?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DrVenkman posted:

I'm about halfway through the latest series of PoI and given I found a good part of Season 1 a slog, it's impressive how it manages to change the status quo and keep advancing, but not in a way that suggests they're out of ideas. It doesn't always work successfully, but it impressively doesn't just spin wheels.

PoI slogs a bit with the random case of the week sometimes, but usually the banter between the cast is enough to make up for it. Plus, Bear shows up in the season 2 premiere and easily becomes the best cast member by far.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

BigRed0427 posted:

I'm watching Maron. Episode 9, Season 1. Did Maron take the movie role or not?

My read is that no, he did not. The scene where he's acting and then having a genial time with the director/his old friend afterwards on the podcast was him ideating the best case scenario, followed by deciding it wasn't for him. That just happened to be the last ep I watched yesterday so cool timing.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Daniel Fienberg posted:

Nothing you watch on TV this summer is likely to be as confounding and expectation-shattering as Andy and Lana Wachowski's new Netflix drama created with J. Michael Straczynski. "Sense8" is a globe-spanning sci-fi drama about eight strangers tied together in ways that relate to an evolutionary leap in technology, but it really can't be adequately explained after the couple episodes I've watched. Less "Matrix"-style Wachowskis and more "Cloud Atlas"-y -- Tom Tykwer is also a director here -- "Sense8" will cause some viewers to tune out immediately and others to binge every second trying to get even a modicum of understanding. And if, along the way, those viewers get an interesting discourse on gender, sexuality and 21st Century globalism? Well, that's just a bonus, maybe.
Read more at http://m.hitfix.com/galleries/20-intriguing-2015-new-summer-tv-premieres/6#BwJqbGilrXgPdXWs.99

I'm going to devour every drat second of this.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

DivisionPost posted:

ohboyohboyohboy

Sweet. I always wondered what a Killer7 TV show would look like.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Man every Memorial Day I get reminded of why Band of Brothers is one of the greatest things ever created, such a good show. God episode 7 is such a punch to the gut :cry:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DivisionPost posted:

I'm going to devour every drat second of this.

OTOH the Wachowskis have made one good movie ever, so I'm managing expectations.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

zoux posted:

OTOH the Wachowskis have made one good movie ever, so I'm managing expectations.
Get a load of the Matrix: Revolutions fanboy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The rave scene is soooo good yall

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

zoux posted:

At the *absolute* least, you have to give them Bound and the Matrix.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Jupiter Ascending is pretty good

:)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is there a page somewhere that someone has collected links for the episode threads for LOST? My fiance is watching the whole series which means whenever I'm home there's a pretty good chance it will be on. So I've had some thoughts about it but right now all I can think is that "Catch-22" is the episode when the show starts to hit its stride, peaks with "The Constant", and then slowly slides down in quality until the end (but it never goes back to being worse than anything before "Flashes Before Your Eyes").

Anyway, I'm asking because I wanted to see what people said about that era because I didn't read the threads until S4

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

zoux posted:

I'll defend to the death that Matrix:reloaded is good. The highway scene is one of the best movie car chases ever. Revolutions on the other hand...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Nastier Nate posted:

I'll defend to the death that Matrix:reloaded is good. The highway scene is one of the best movie car chases ever. Revolutions on the other hand...

Reloaded is an entirely passable film. It doesn't matter at all that the story and mythology ended up meaning gently caress-all. poo poo, lots of people have enjoyed Upstream Color while also having literally zero idea what it's about. As a bunch of scenes put together in a package, Reloaded is fine.

Revolutions is the only bad movie they've made, and wow is it bad. How bad is it? So bad that there's hardly even anything to bitch about in it! It's the filmic equivalent of a KMFDM or Eagles album.

British show on Netflix called Residue is wild. Haven't watched much yet but it's stylish as hell, completely mental, and really ominous. Iwan Rheon stars. Most of it so far is incredibly bleak and thoughtful, with occasional scenes of hilarious or loving crazy poo poo.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

Iwan Rheon stars.

If Barry is in it, i'm sold.

Also, they only ever made 1 great movie, the rest are poo poo to middling

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 08:44 on May 26, 2015

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Halt And Catch Fire season 2 starts this Sunday on AMC.

Starring Ronan the Accuser as Patrick Bateman, 80's Computer Salesman.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Gonz posted:

The show definitely comes off as a passion project for Lee Pace. He loving kills every scene he is in and carries the show on his back.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Agents of Shield, Season 2, Episode 22

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Man, he really shot that girl with a gun like a total gansta.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Aatrek posted a lot of random rear end gifs

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Again with the gifs.... this loving guy.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Gonz posted:

The show definitely picked up towards the end of Season 1 but if the promos are to be believed, Season 2 is going to have a lot more of Cameron and she's the worst of the leading trio. At least Not Wozniak's mental breakdowns made him interesting instead of Cameron being a ~*rebel visionary*~ that doesn't play by the rules and is totally in your face. She may also have access to a time machine.

Every other character in the show is more nuanced than her and I hope they give her some sort of depth this season since that character is the albatross around the show's neck, in my opinion.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Vanderdeath posted:

The show definitely picked up towards the end of Season 1 but if the promos are to be believed, Season 2 is going to have a lot more of Cameron and she's the worst of the leading trio. At least Not Wozniak's mental breakdowns made him interesting instead of Cameron being a ~*rebel visionary*~ that doesn't play by the rules and is totally in your face. She may also have access to a time machine.

Every other character in the show is more nuanced than her and I hope they give her some sort of depth this season since that character is the albatross around the show's neck, in my opinion.

Cameron was a terrible character from the start and never did anything other then be the "outsider" and rage against the rules and restrictions of the industry. She seems to exist only to round out the main cast with a woman but even then Kelly Bishe (Not Woz's wife) knocked it out of the park as a strong female character who did more in her limited scenes then Cameron did with 3x the screen time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Kerry Bishe is the coolest.

• Locked thread