Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Republicans posted:

I miss going to Restaurant Depot because I'd always pick something up for myself while getting poo poo for the restaurant. Cheap ribs from the clearance rack were my favorite. I should ask one of the managers if they have a membership and if they do to get me a card. They're pretty married to Sysco, though, because the ownership also has a production kitchen that sells stuff via Sysco.

Restaurant Depot requires a card where you are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Restaurant Depot requires a card where you are?

The Philly one requires a card or a tax ID number iirc.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Splizwarf posted:

The Philly one requires a card or a tax ID number iirc.

Tell them you need a one use pass and give them the name of your old restaurant. Hell give them my restaurant name I don't care.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Wroughtirony posted:

Breaks: I'm of the opinion that people fought and in some cases actually died so that workers in the US could have things like mandated breaks. Now, in kitchens it's not ALWAYS possible to take your breaks exactly as the state has mandated, but guess what? If you manage your time and your projects properly, you too can make space in your schedule for a 15 min smoke break every 4 hours! In the job I have now, I have to manage 20 other people's time and workload so that I can GIVE them their state-mandated breaks exactly as they're written into law. If I can do that for twenty people at a time, you can do that for yourself. And "My chef won't let me" is a lame excuse. Sometimes humane and sane working conditions are something you have to insist upon for yourself. It's possible to insist without being a whiny bitch. Plus, you're more effective when you give your brain and body a quick reset every few hours.

When did Simoom graduate from being a whiny entitled dishwasher to making a few good points now and then? I actually agreed with you like three times in the last two pages. You're giving me hope for the next generation. Stop it.

Hard work: is good for you. Dumb work: is dumb.

Thing is, Wrought? Most states don't mandate breaks. At all, and neither do the Feds. In fact, only 8 states do mandate breaks.

The only federal standard is that employers have to pay for any breaks less than 20 minutes, and can only declare an unpaid lunch break if it is both longer than 20 minutes and the employee is relieved of all job duties while on it.

It sucks, but it is what it is. Totally legal for, say, my old bar to run me 4am-10pm without a break.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
I don't know where your employee rights posters are, but in Illinois if your shift is 7 1/2 hours or longer, your employer is mandated to give you a minimum 20 minute meal period beginning no later than the fifth hour of work. That's a direct quote from the poster. They don't have to pay you for those 20 minutes, but you're supposed to have complete cessation of work duties.

Hutla fucked around with this message at 05:01 on May 26, 2015

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Illinois is one of the 8 with mandatory lunch breaks, Hutla.

The others are California, Colorado, Kentucky, Minnesota, Nevada, Oregon, Vermont, and Washington.

JERFit
Dec 25, 2007

if someone said they'd give me money to play music + not have a job anymore I'd say NO

Liquid Communism posted:

Thing is, Wrought? Most states don't mandate breaks. At all, and neither do the Feds. In fact, only 8 states do mandate breaks.

The only federal standard is that employers have to pay for any breaks less than 20 minutes, and can only declare an unpaid lunch break if it is both longer than 20 minutes and the employee is relieved of all job duties while on it.

It sucks, but it is what it is. Totally legal for, say, my old bar to run me 4am-10pm without a break.

That link is so hosed up. Growing up and living in California, and working for years in food service, I literally had no idea that that was a thing. Labor laws are so lovely in this country.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

JERFit posted:

That link is so hosed up. Growing up and living in California, and working for years in food service, I literally had no idea that that was a thing. Labor laws are so lovely in this country.

I think the only real law is your boss can't literally kill you with his hands or an object on purpose.

Otherwise WHHHHEEEEEEE!!!!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

We don't even have it worst. You want really bad, look into the agricultural labor laws. Errant Gin Monks is substantially correct there. Anything short of literally beating your workers to make them go faster or killing them where they stand is pretty much kosher in a lot of places.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Liquid Communism posted:

The others are California, Colorado, Kentucky, Minnesota, Nevada, Oregon, Vermont, and Washington.

CO and WSH once again showing what great states they are.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

As a current Washington resident though, I can tell you you're only going to get that mandated break in corporate places and the like, legally mandated or not.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Thoht posted:

As a current Washington resident though, I can tell you you're only going to get that mandated break in corporate places and the like, legally mandated or not.

"Hey boss, I'm gonna take a break. It's my legal right to do so!"

"It's also my legal right to fire you at any time. Or I can just make your life miserable so you quit and don't qualify for unemployment."

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

People literally died in the streets for what labor protections (minimum wage, overtime, etc.) we have. And also, just because certain states don't afford certain rights to their workers doesn't make it acceptable.

Any time you talk down a fellow worker for wanting breaks or reasonable schedules or proper pay you're doing the work of the owners for them. You're helping them make more money off of an employee and worsening your own situation too.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
This all over me wanting to take a 10 min smoke break after 6 hours of non stop walking labor. Lamo

:downsgun:

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Six hour of non stop reading on your cellphone. LAMO

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Lmao sorry I just worked 48 hours in 4 days may I please take 10 mins outside to run my actual outside life emperor?

No! More work!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

A Man and his dog posted:

Lmao sorry I just worked 48 hours in 4 days may I please take 10 mins outside to run my actual outside life emperor?

No! More work!

Get a new job. They clearly don't like you and you are not good at it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

goodness posted:

Get a new job. They clearly don't like you and you are not good at it.

People literally fought and died in the streets to protect A Man and his dog's right to shitpost! Any time you try to talk him out of shitposting, you're doing all of us a disservice!

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

No! More work!

Come work for me so I can fire you, TIA.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

It sucks when your patio is the biggest in the area but it's also adjacent to one of the bigger roadwork projects in the area. I can't even make it 30s out there before asphalt smell starts making me want to barf. I'm gonna try reaching out to our ward's city council chair just to see if we can get a project timeline for morale's sake, I think.

That said, construction equipment is getting pretty future-metal looking.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Kenning posted:

People literally died in the streets for what labor protections (minimum wage, overtime, etc.) we have. And also, just because certain states don't afford certain rights to their workers doesn't make it acceptable.

Any time you talk down a fellow worker for wanting breaks or reasonable schedules or proper pay you're doing the work of the owners for them. You're helping them make more money off of an employee and worsening your own situation too.

Hey, I'm not talking down anybody. This poo poo makes me furious, but there's gently caress-all I can do about it other than treating the guys I manage better than that.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Yeah, I definitely wasn't trying to imply that people should poopoo those rights and I hate the hyper-tough-guy/masochism culture that flourishes in kitchens in general. I was just trying to say that just because something is legally required it doesn't mean that's what actually happens in a lot of real-world situations.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

No! More work!

That means you got 12 hours off a day. loving cake job.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Liquid Communism posted:

What's your source for that?

NY - https://labor.ny.gov/workerprotection/laborstandards/employer/meals.shtm
MA - http://www.mass.gov/ago/doing-business-in-massachusetts/labor-laws-and-public-construction/wage-and-hour/meal-breaks.html
NH - http://corporate.findlaw.com/human-resources/requirements-for-rest-and-meal-breaks-for-a-new-hampshire.html
CT - https://www.ctdol.state.ct.us/wgwkstnd/laws-regs/statute31-51ii.html
RI - http://www.dlt.ri.gov/ls/lsfaqs.htm

I'm not googling all 50 states but you get the idea. Bring on the lunch breaks

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
hey so restaurant depot chat

I haven't ever been to one because I've never been the one purchasing anything for a restaurant.

I have a sales tax ID (I sell servers and computer poo poo) - can I roll up and open an account for my computer business with my tax ID number? or is there some special foodservice poo poo you have to provide proof of? (GA)

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
"mindphlux computer networks" : the finest clearance ribs-nyo in all the lands

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
2nd 15 hr day running prepping the new restaurant to open. Soft open tomorrow night, full speed ahead on Saturday. It's been a mix of engaging/fun and challenging/somewhat frustrating. Co-workers are really cool, everyone actively wants to be in the kitchen doing what they're doing, which is huge. I like it. I'm going to sleep now.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

2nd 15 hr day running prepping the new restaurant to open. Soft open tomorrow night, full speed ahead on Saturday. It's been a mix of engaging/fun and challenging/somewhat frustrating. Co-workers are really cool, everyone actively wants to be in the kitchen doing what they're doing, which is huge. I like it. I'm going to sleep now.

I'm there with you. Second soft-open service was tonight. Things were kind of crazy, but I can see the foundation of our kitchen really laying down now. For some reason though we're doing a limited dinner service during lunch tomorrow, and again in the evening, so I have to be back in 8.5 hrs

don't give a gently caress because great coastal italian food is amazing and money is almost as good.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

mindphlux posted:

I haven't ever been to one because I've never been the one purchasing anything for a restaurant.

I have a sales tax ID (I sell servers and computer poo poo) - can I roll up and open an account for my computer business with my tax ID number? or is there some special foodservice poo poo you have to provide proof of? (GA)

You can certainly try.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

mindphlux posted:

You just need a sales tax ID. If you want to use my corporation name though to check it out with a day pass let me know I can PM you the info.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

DoL, reading is fundamental, I linked it in the same post I quoted them in.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/rest.htm

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Also, if you do go to restaurant depot always take a look at their halal beef. It's ungraded but it's sometimes more well-marbled than standard choice. You may even be lucky enough to find a strip loin that looks like this:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Liquid Communism posted:

DoL, reading is fundamental, I linked it in the same post I quoted them in.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/rest.htm
I was giving you the benefit of the doubt. That page lists states with paid breaks. Not all the states with mandatory (even if unpaid) breaks.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Republicans posted:

Also, if you do go to restaurant depot always take a look at their halal beef. It's ungraded but it's sometimes more well-marbled than standard choice. You may even be lucky enough to find a strip loin that looks like this:

Sweet Jesus that's beautiful

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Here's the Department of Labor page that lists all the states that mandate meal breaks, whether paid or not, in case anyone cares: http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/meal.htm

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Sweet Jesus that's beautiful

$4.13/lb

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Day was going smooth. Till GM/HC showed up coked the gently caress up. And was just raging at everyone.

I just tune him out when he's like this and does what he ask over and over. Whatever he's just a dick when he pulls it.

Going back to last Friday. I'm 85% sure he pulled a fast one at the end of the night to steal that $100 that just disappeared to fuel his addiction...

I'm sure the blame got thrown on me and the other server(we didn't do it) for too many hands in the register.

Since he's GM he has hired two BOH guys who are heavily into coke and his good friends.

The whole BOH is just drug addicts that know they can get by. And they rarely do that. Who knows how much longer this place will last. Last inspection 95%

:suicide:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
This poo poo can't be real. I think you're just making it up now.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

You're right, I am exaggerating a bit. I actually paid $4.16/lb for it.

Boy those were good steaks. There's a picture of one of them cooked down a bit further in that thread. Did you know steak can glisten?

I choose to believe you were talking about my steaks and not that claptrap above you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
No I'm not. Since are REAL GM left for New York it's been spiraling.

The HC who was in charge got promoted to GM. He has hence hired all his bar friend cronies. Yeah we are getting by(thank god for my two Latino amigos who get poo poo done)...

It's a long story. And I know it has to deal with coke.

Like seriously I just watched one of my best friends lose a 4 year relationship because she went down the coke drain.

I doubt people who work in a turn and burn could give a gently caress less what drugs they do at night.

Sigh.

• Locked thread