Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Any of the tall mountains near you will give a good view. The view from Kosciusko is pretty cool and its just a 2300m pimple compared to what you see elsewhere in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_ultra_prominent_peaks

Ultras aren't the tallest, they're the most prominent in their area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Wasabi the J posted:

Cool link, thank you!

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Jeza posted:

Still waiting for people to climb the real highest peak on Earth, Mauna Kea. Tourists in total pitch darkness with special deep-dive submersible suits where one chink in the armour causes you to implode like crushing a can of coke. Also death by giant squid. The sherpas are some kind of mermen.

I'm waiting for Olympus Mons on Mars

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Fluo posted:

I'm waiting for Olympus Mons on Mars

whoa, what's that?!? there's no mountain that big!! no weay! ur foolin! tell me more about this "mons" i have never heard of this. man, this is cool, i'm glad someone brought this up. is this real? nobody's ever said anything about this in this thread!!

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Wasabi the J posted:

Mt Kosciusko wouldnt even be close to that list but you still get a cool view. Its that close to the second tallest (Mt Townsend) in Australia that they originally thought Townsend was the tallest. Something similar probably exists in every country

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Warning

Even this gives a pretty good view and its only 900m tall.

E: Mt Warning is kinda off though cause its at the middle of the 23 million old Tweed volcano that was twice as tall as Warning and 100 km wide. Standing from Warning, you can see for a very long way, you can see the rim of the Tweed volcano (the 100km wide one) with nothing in between because Warning stands alone.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 25, 2015

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Paramemetic posted:

The first part there about stopping the bleeding is super important though. I've heard stories of medics accidentally embalming patients by pressure bagging saline in and displacing all the blood.

:dogbutton: Welp, I'm never sleeping again.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

OMGVBFLOL posted:

whoa, what's that?!? there's no mountain that big!! no weay! ur foolin! tell me more about this "mons" i have never heard of this. man, this is cool, i'm glad someone brought this up. is this real? nobody's ever said anything about this in this thread!!

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

prinneh posted:

So besides kilimanjaro, mt fuji and Mount Kinabalu what are some reasonable mountains to climb/hike that aren't dangerous, but still pretty spectacular for someone with no real climbing experience? Preferably something not in the usa as I'm in Europe.

All mountains can be dangerous without hiking/climbing experience. For a day hike you could for example hike to the top of the Zugspitze starting in Ehrwald Austria, crossing into Germany during the hike and ending up on top at roughly 3000m. It's a 14km hike with nice views and you can get back down by cable car. The top is tourist central though. There are several cable cars that take tourist there. You can also do it in 1 or 2 days from Garmisch-Partenkirchen on a 23k hike sleeping in a hut, or with a bit of climbing and via ferrata on the Höllentalroute. in a day. The first two tours can be done without guides, experience or special equipment. For the last one I would recommend a guide if you've never climbed/ went hiking in the alps before. A guided tour should set you back around 125 € plus 50ish for equipment rental.

First two are from the climbing option, last one from the hike.

elwood fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 25, 2015

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

All I can see in this picture is someone exploiting a game mechanic using a rail gun.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Ursine Asylum posted:

All I can see in this picture is someone exploiting a game mechanic using a rail gun.

If you tilt your head to the right, he's just falling down in some dude's rocky field.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Minrad posted:

If you tilt your head to the right, he's just falling down in some dude's rocky field.
:eyepop:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
That actually looks more realistic than the original.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OSHA would be pretty upset about that impalement hazard. Gotta put caps on all that exposed rebar.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
ITT we rotate (and crop a bit) mountain climbers to instead make them very clumsy people

I hope he finds what he's looking for

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

prinneh posted:

So besides kilimanjaro, mt fuji and Mount Kinabalu what are some reasonable mountains to climb/hike that aren't dangerous, but still pretty spectacular for someone with no real climbing experience? Preferably something not in the usa as I'm in Europe.

Kinabalu! I love that mountain! I got to see it while on a field school a couple years ago. It's ridiculous.

This was from 30km/19 miles away. I was standing at an elevation of 1400' at a place called Sabah Tea Garden, and it's summit is 13,435'. It's loving massive.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
one last one. sorry, i was bored

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Madcosby posted:

I approve.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

elwood posted:

All mountains can be dangerous without hiking/climbing experience. For a day hike you could for example hike to the top of the Zugspitze starting in Ehrwald Austria, crossing into Germany during the hike and ending up on top at roughly 3000m. It's a 14km hike with nice views and you can get back down by cable car. The top is tourist central though. There are several cable cars that take tourist there. You can also do it in 1 or 2 days from Garmisch-Partenkirchen on a 23k hike sleeping in a hut, or with a bit of climbing and via ferrata on the Höllentalroute. in a day. The first two tours can be done without guides, experience or special equipment. For the last one I would recommend a guide if you've never climbed/ went hiking in the alps before. A guided tour should set you back around 125 € plus 50ish for equipment rental.

This hike looks wunderbar, I'll look into it. Thank you!
I have alpine hiking experience and a lot of hiking experience in general, I just don't want to be in any sort of place where I'll need to be strapped into a harness in order not to die. My friends are climbers but I am not and will never be, but I do love a good "walk-up" mountain for the views. Again, thank you for the suggestion, that whole area looks nice.

Picnic Princess posted:

Kinabalu! I love that mountain! I got to see it while on a field school a couple years ago. It's ridiculous.

This was from 30km/19 miles away. I was standing at an elevation of 1400' at a place called Sabah Tea Garden, and it's summit is 13,435'. It's loving massive.

Your pictures are great and makes me wish I'd gone to that teashop when I was there :)

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Mt Kosciusko wouldnt even be close to that list but you still get a cool view. Its that close to the second tallest (Mt Townsend) in Australia that they originally thought Townsend was the tallest. Something similar probably exists in every country

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Warning

Even this gives a pretty good view and its only 900m tall.

E: Mt Warning is kinda off though cause its at the middle of the 23 million old Tweed volcano that was twice as tall as Warning and 100 km wide. Standing from Warning, you can see for a very long way, you can see the rim of the Tweed volcano (the 100km wide one) with nothing in between because Warning stands alone.

These look great too, but I doubt I'll ever make it to Australia. It's on the complete opposite side of the planet from me and there are so many other beautiful places in between I'd rather visit. Hopefully someone else will see these suggestions and go up one or the other when they're there :)

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

prinneh posted:

This hike looks wunderbar, I'll look into it. Thank you!
I have alpine hiking experience and a lot of hiking experience in general, I just don't want to be in any sort of place where I'll need to be strapped into a harness in order not to die. My friends are climbers but I am not and will never be, but I do love a good "walk-up" mountain for the views. Again, thank you for the suggestion, that whole area looks nice.

It's a pretty easy hike. I've done it as part of a mountain running race. If you take your time the austrian route should take about 6-7 hours.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
It's the parts where you wish you were strapped into a harness that are best.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Madcosby posted:

Operation Hump the Peak is Go, I say again Go

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Just find big hills in your country and walk up them, was the point

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Rondette posted:

I think it must be this one....
http://www.lamrt.org.uk/incidents/2001/incident/24 Story about selfish people who wouldn't share their pringles

My uncle used to roll with these rescue guys. The bit he added on to this story was that both victims were in the 20 stone + category, and that the man's geriatric mother had been left in the car, parked outside the pub at the bottom. She'd watched night fall and gone to sleep, without thinking to raise the alarm when they didn't come back from their afternoon hike.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

George Mallory? Totally not straight.

He wrote to Lytton Strachey about his own impending marriage:

quote:

“It can hardly be a shock to you that I desert the ranks of the fashionable homosexualists (and yet I am still in part of that persuasion) unless you think I have turned monogamist. But you may be assured that this last catastrophe has not happened.

“This sentiment shocks me deeply – considering that I really am to be tied by the conjugal knot & actually to be blessed by the Church of England: but then the truth always is so shocking and probably nobody is monogamous.”

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
If you want to know about Mallory's sexploits, read "Into the Silence". It goes into extreme detail about all of his relationships, including with men.

Seriously, it's impressive how much that book stretched even the tiniest facets of this man's life into multiple pages of rambling.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Yessss, Mallory being a dandy makes him even cooler. RIP you majestic man.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Fluo
May 25, 2007

How long has that been there to get like that? :wtc:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Fluo posted:

How long has that been there to get like that? :wtc:

well, since 1924

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Pick posted:

well, since 1924

Ah ok so it's a Sherpa

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
wahat da

ti

thei joke

you

wh

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Pick posted:

wahat da

ti

thei joke

you

wh

Well 7 people died in 1922, but only 1 person died 1924. :o

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Fluo posted:

Well 7 people died in 1922, but only 1 person died 1924. :o
Everest claimed four lives in 1924, two sherpas and two brits. The picture is of George Mallory, he disappeared trying to reach the top; an expedition found his body like so in 1999,

Fluo
May 25, 2007

tentative8e8op posted:

Everest claimed four lives in 1924, two sherpas and two brits. The picture is of George Mallory, he disappeared trying to reach the top; an expedition found his body like so in 1999,

Ah I misread the infograph :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFr1KdY6aiw

Fluo fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 27, 2015

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

He doesn't look like that anymore, though. After their investigation and documentation of his final resting place, they piled a cairn over the body.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I would honestly rather lead an expedition to find Irvine's body than actually summit the mountain.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

his mummy has holes in his butt. that video was gross as hell.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Necros posted:

his mummy has holes in his butt. that video was gross as hell.

Dude was hollow. Probably died when the change in air pressure blew out his butt.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Angela Christine posted:

Dude was hollow. Probably died when the change in air pressure blew out his butt.

After HAPE/HACE and avalanche, butt blow is Everest's biggest killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
You guys tell me how your butts will look in 90 years. :colbert:

• Locked thread