Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Aru is struggling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Attacking the maglia rosa on a descent when hes had a mechanical. Shameful stuff.

Contador is beasting this climb. Aru is about to crack.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

He can see Aru just up the road now. That's some impressive stuff.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Wasn't it Contador that attacked when Schleck dropped his chain a few years ago?

Contador is a loving machine right now.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

vikingstrike posted:

Wasn't it Contador that attacked when Schleck dropped his chain a few years ago?

Contador is a loving machine right now.

Everyone remembers Contador attacking Schleck, but that was after he'd attacked Contador earlier in the race when the situations were reversed.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Seems like Kruiswijk is riding for a contract at Tinkoff next season.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Seems like Landa is now Astanas main man.

Contador has put in a nearly 2 minute swing on this climb. Hes insane today.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Is Landa the new Astana captain?

e: drat you, gaylord!

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Starting to feel sorry lil' Aru.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I'm expecting Contador to blitz the final climb as a gently caress you to Astana for attacking him with a puncture. Aru might be down in 3rd by the end of today.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Xabi posted:

Starting to feel sorry lil' Aru.

When it's come down to it over the last week, he just hasn't looked like a guy with the legs to win. Landa looked to be in better form going into the rest day.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

vikingstrike posted:

When it's come down to it over the last week, he just hasn't looked like a guy with the legs to win. Landa looked to be in better form going into the rest day.

Aru made the mistake of having his team brutally destroy the race every time its gone uphill and attacking pointlessly. Until today Contador has never looked troubled by him. Should have saved his legs for one big push.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Is Aru planning to ride the TdF in support of Nibai this year?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Aru had a 'mechanical' and had to change his bike, but forgot to take his bottle with him so has no drink for the next 20km's where hes desperately chasing back.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Landa looks like he's having a very easy time of it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
They want to xray his bike imo.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

serious gaylord posted:

Aru had a 'mechanical' and had to change his bike, but forgot to take his bottle with him so has no drink for the next 20km's where hes desperately chasing back.

Looks like they'll take the hit for late feeding. He has a bottle now.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

serious gaylord posted:

They want to xray his bike imo.

With how he rode away there they should be looking for a V8, christ.

carborexic
Nov 9, 2008

Landa too, and what a bottle. He just walked away.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I know Contadors had to chase down this group and has been putting effort in to drop Aru, but Landa has 30 seconds on them now. Vroom vroom.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

That was evidently the best gel Landa had ever tasted, holy crap.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Trust me to be busy this afternoon.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Aruface

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure those chaps appreciate a nice lungful of smoke.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

serious gaylord posted:

Everyone remembers Contador attacking Schleck, but that was after he'd attacked Contador earlier in the race when the situations were reversed.

When was this? I don't remember that ever happening. I think it was pre Sky so before you were aware of cycling?

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

I don't remember anyone trying to justify chaingate with it being tit for tat.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Pocket posted:

I don't remember anyone trying to justify chaingate with it being tit for tat.

He's fabricated it for sure. Our Bertie would never do such a thing.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
This absolutely did not happen.

carborexic
Nov 9, 2008

El Pistolero Shot First.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

African AIDS cum posted:

When was this? I don't remember that ever happening. I think it was pre Sky so before you were aware of cycling?

Stage 3. Schleck had gotten a massive favour when he hit the deck the day before on the way to spa and the peloton neutralised it to let everyone catch up again. Didn't stop him from pushing on when a crash held all his rivals up did it?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

African AIDS cum posted:

I agree with this post. Dude probably claims he was there for Armstrong pantani in 2000 too

serious gaylord posted:

Stage 3. Schleck had gotten a massive favour when he hit the deck the day before on the way to spa and the peloton neutralised it to let everyone catch up again. Didn't stop him from pushing on when a crash held all his rivals up did it?

Welcome back from Wikipedia

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

Lol the cobbled stage. Get real. Schleck was getting towed by Cancellara at the pointy end of the race. His own brother crashed out there. Nobody would slow or stop for a racing incident like that.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Lol

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

I agree with this post. Dude probably claims he was there for Armstrong pantani in 2000 too

I on the other hand was there for Indurain/Fignon/Virenque/Chiappucci so everyone must listen to me

even though I was a tiny child and only remember names and vague events

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Or since I didn't get into cycling until that long ago, I've used the magic of video to watch them since? Thanks for showing how superior you all are for watching it for longer though.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Either way the "Schleck shot first" thing is still bollocks

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

I cbf to wikipedia but I'm pretty sure Contador was not in yellow the day they went over the cobbles. The convention is for rivals not to attack the maillot jaune on a mechanical.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Pocket posted:

I cbf to wikipedia but I'm pretty sure Contador was not in yellow the day they went over the cobbles. The convention is for rivals not to attack the maillot jaune on a mechanical.

Yeah but Schleck is a kind of a douchebag so.

GrimSqueaker
Sep 26, 2011
Also Schleck was attacking when he hosed up his chain. He started the fight, but couldn't continue because his own fuckups. I think it was Hesjedal who said 'If you draw your sword and you drop it, you die.' The reaction on the road from Contador was perfectly normal. The reaction afterwards in the press was a bit dodgy, but it was influenced by contract negotiations with Riis which were still secret.

Pocket posted:

Also, that has never been a hard rule. A bit of a guideline, depending on circumstances.

GrimSqueaker fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 27, 2015

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

When is the queen stage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
The UCI classified stage race "Tour des Fjords" started in my home town today, i went by with my camera. As an cycling enthusiast this was a great stop gap until we host the Worlds in 2017.

I am so gay for Fabian Cancellara

rest of the set if anyone is interested in seeing cold pros

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131090378@N08/sets/72157651225788834