Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Squinty Applebottom posted:

replying to a quote that says [insert qirex's failing upwards post here] you idiot shitfuck

couldnt be bothered to change "flash and 4g" to something relevant

1/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
do the anroid watches have 2-4 timers/clocks on their faces at all times like the phones?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Beast of Bourbon posted:

do the anroid watches have 2-4 timers/clocks on their faces at all times like the phones?

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Beast of Bourbon posted:

thats the beauty of a smartwatch, you can make the face into whatever config you want

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

when i bought my first smartphone, i almost bought an htc evo instead of an iphone

can you even imagine

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Puppy Galaxy posted:

when i bought my first smartphone, i almost bought an htc evo instead of an iphone

can you even imagine

i didnt think the iphone was available on sprint when the evo came out

but lol @ using sprint for anything

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Squinty Applebottom posted:

I'm going to map this out

- Exec is lured into said position with huge signing bonus. Bonus Count: 1
- Executive's bonus criteria are to ship an Watch competitor and "build" watch business
- Exec spends hundreds of millions doing just that with full knowledge that it's not competitive but he's meeting his written goals
- The first year passes before the product is out or has pricing or final details, exec gets giant bonus for doing a good job even if that's not true because board is full of people who don't know poo poo. Bonus Count: 2
- watch ships right before exec gets next bonus, probably for hitting arbitrary quarterly deadline. Do you really think it wouldn't be better for them to have waited 2 months for Flash and 4G to work? There's only one reason to release it now and that's so it can be "Q1". Bonus Count: 3
- Thing craters in the market but blame is placed on Apple, exec vows that follow-up version will be the best thing ever
- Follow-up version takes longer than expected to deliver, annual bonus for working hard in challenging conditions. Bonus Count: 4
- Follow-up ships suspiciously close to the end of a financial quarter. Bonus Count: 5
- Follow-up craters in market, board decides it's time for said executive to send more time with the family. Massive severance package ensues. Bonus Count: 6

So that's how you can make 8 figures in 3 years while failing every step of the way.
i'm the Watch

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

anthonypants posted:

i'm the Watch

Text me

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
The researchers tested the factory reset of 21 Android smartphones that ran versions 2.3.x to 4.3 of the mobile OS and were sold by five manufacturers. All of the phones retained at least some fragments of old data, including contact data stored in the phone app and third-party apps such as Facebook and What'sApp, images and video from the camera, and text-based conversations from SMS and e-mail apps. In 80 percent of phones, the researchers were able to extract the master token Android uses to give access to most Google user data, such as Gmail and Google calendar.

As an experiment, the researchers recovered a master token from a reset phone and restored the credential file.

"After the reboot, the phone successfully re-synchronised contacts, emails, and so on," they reported. "We recovered Google tokens in all devices with flawed Factory Reset, and the master token 80% of the time. Tokens for other apps such as Facebook can be recovered similarly. We stress that we have never attempted to use those tokens to access anyone's account."

There were multiple reasons for the reset failures. In some cases, manufacturers didn't include the software drivers necessary to fully wipe flash chips that the smartphones used for non-volatile memory storage. More generally, and as researchers demonstrated more than four years ago, the composition of flash drives make them dangerously hard to erase. Drives are usually over-provisioned to accommodate for portions that are faulty from the beginning or wear out over time. As a result, they have more internal space than indicated by the operating system. As a researcher known as Bunnie observed during a presentation at the 2013 Chaos Communication Congress, when using Flash drives, "you are not storing data, you are storing a probabilistic approximation of your data." Deleting all of it with certainty, it seems, is exceedingly hard.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Beyond encrypting the phone with a strong password, the researchers said end users can perform a factory reset and then fill up a partition of interest with random-byte files, with the aim of overwriting all unallocated space. Still, the third-party app that would fill the partition with random-byte files would have to be installed manually to prevent a Google token from residing on the wiped phone.

lol @ having to janitor your phone even when you are trying to get rid of it

and if you dont janitor it

One of the only other avenues left for end users is to destroy devices rather than sell or recycle them. That advice, however, doesn't apply to people who lose a device and use Android's remote wipe feature. The researchers went on to recommend a variety of technical changes that Google or device manufacturers can make to improve the reliability of Android's factory reset process.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
oh cool lemme just get some anroid user's info so i can steal all 37 cents out of their bank account

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
just go on craiglist in a rich area and youll be set

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
danza mate

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

heartbeat share me

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

LastInLine posted:

i didnt think the iphone was available on sprint when the evo came out

but lol @ using sprint for anything

it was when I was getting off my parents plan so the world was my oyster

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Where does a company get so many bad ESN brand new phones

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Gal...utorefresh=true

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
You know when a truck goes missing some time between the dock and a warehouse?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

Where does a company get so many bad ESN brand new phones

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Gal...utorefresh=true

you wouldnt think thered be that many mass thefts of us cellular cellphones in des moines to track down tbqh

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

not android but lol the Sarnsung janitoring

http://liliputing.com/2015/05/replacing-the-battery-on-a-samsung-series-9-ultrabook.html

carry on then posted:

samsung® galaxy tab™ 4 7.0
samsung® galaxy tab™ 4 8.0
samsung® galaxy tab™ 4 10.1
samsung® galaxy tab™ pro 8.4
samsung® galaxy tab™ pro 10.1
samsung® galaxy tab™ pro 12.2
samsung® galaxy tab™ s 8.4
samsung® galaxy tab™ s 10.5
samsung® galaxy tab™ a 8.0
samsung® galaxy tab™ a 9.7
samsung® galaxy tab™ active
samsung® galaxy note™ 10.1
samsung® galaxy note™ pro 12.2

apple 5 years from now tbh

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

DaNzA posted:

The researchers tested the factory reset of 21 Android smartphones that ran versions 2.3.x to 4.3 of the mobile OS and were sold by five manufacturers. All of the phones retained at least some fragments of old data, including contact data stored in the phone app and third-party apps such as Facebook and What'sApp, images and video from the camera, and text-based conversations from SMS and e-mail apps. In 80 percent of phones, the researchers were able to extract the master token Android uses to give access to most Google user data, such as Gmail and Google calendar.

As an experiment, the researchers recovered a master token from a reset phone and restored the credential file.

"After the reboot, the phone successfully re-synchronised contacts, emails, and so on," they reported. "We recovered Google tokens in all devices with flawed Factory Reset, and the master token 80% of the time. Tokens for other apps such as Facebook can be recovered similarly. We stress that we have never attempted to use those tokens to access anyone's account."

There were multiple reasons for the reset failures. In some cases, manufacturers didn't include the software drivers necessary to fully wipe flash chips that the smartphones used for non-volatile memory storage. More generally, and as researchers demonstrated more than four years ago, the composition of flash drives make them dangerously hard to erase. Drives are usually over-provisioned to accommodate for portions that are faulty from the beginning or wear out over time. As a result, they have more internal space than indicated by the operating system. As a researcher known as Bunnie observed during a presentation at the 2013 Chaos Communication Congress, when using Flash drives, "you are not storing data, you are storing a probabilistic approximation of your data." Deleting all of it with certainty, it seems, is exceedingly hard.

apple just wipes the drive encryption key and your data is unrecoverable. of course android phones don't encrypt user data because somehow that's too slow when they do it

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I bought a Nexus 7 less than a year and a half ago and barely used it. it doesn't charge anymore. what a piece of poo poo.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Citizen Tayne posted:

I bought a Nexus 7 less than a year and a half ago and barely used it. it doesn't charge anymore. what a piece of poo poo.

i like my nexus 7 but only because it was $130

its certainly not worth more than that

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Management posted:

apple just wipes the drive encryption key and your data is unrecoverable. of course android phones don't encrypt user data because somehow that's too slow when they do it
it's because no android phones until late last year have dedicated crypto hardware like every iphone since the 3gs has had, so they have to use software encryption which is obviously not as fast.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Are there any 10" tablets for under $100 which are worthwhile? I want a big screen but I also would like more than 1GB of internal memory, and the ability to play most games that are NOT things like HL2 where it requires an NVIDIA Shield.

Maybe as well the ability to root it, couple nice apps I like require rooting.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB6MId15cpo
they managed to make it look worse

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
:jackbud:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

:barf:

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

there is no part of this design that is not trash

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

hmm yes, that "now playing" won't be out of date in about a month, no sir

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

i can't believe some third rate carrier + samsung hasn't tried the "ads on lock screen for discount" that amazon did with kindle

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

that's already android tho

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

how the gently caress is a company going to make a video of an unboxing of its own goddamn product argh

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Jesus

pram
Jun 10, 2001

lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
do u thnk teh ppl who make these skins made winamp and sonique skins in highschool?

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

https://www.theunboxing.com

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Smythe posted:

do u thnk teh ppl who make these skins made winamp and sonique skins in highschool?

more like last week lmao

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lol phone comes with a case

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
would be cool if there was a captain america version and the wireless charger looked like his shield

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

smfh

• Locked thread