Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.
Interesting mmo facts-

1- The GCD in ff14 is half a second longer than every form of stun or knockdown in gw2.*

2- You can simulate playing ff14 in other games by using VPNs to bog down your latency to 2500.

*I would have said "all CC" but a necro with +fear duration traits can rock a 3 second fear and I didnt wanna get called out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

anime fans are kinda slow, huh

who woulda thought

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm sorry you all have such bad opinions on the subject of MMORPGs.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Verranicus posted:

I'm sorry you all have such bad opinions on the subject of MMORPGs.

The only bad opinion about mmorpgs is thinking there is a good one

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Byolante posted:

sadly true

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Byolante posted:

I want to frame this quote.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Byolante posted:

not emptyquoting this

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Double Monocle posted:

Interesting mmo facts-

1- The GCD in ff14 is half a second longer than every form of stun or knockdown in gw2.*

2- You can simulate playing ff14 in other games by using VPNs to bog down your latency to 2500.

*I would have said "all CC" but a necro with +fear duration traits can rock a 3 second fear and I didnt wanna get called out.

did a gang of long gcds kill your dog

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

i can't believe the duration of GCD in final fantasy xiv

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

is this thread meant to be worse than the game its about?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Smart Car posted:

that's impossible

doesn't mean that we aren't trying though

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
Regarding housing in XIV: The original plan, implemented in patch 2.1, was that housing was strictly for free companies (guilds). Patch 2.3 added private chambers, individual rooms in a free company's house for each member. Since the system was implemented with the expectation that it'd be one house per FC, there were a finite number of housing plots made available. However, as a stopgap measure to satisfy the people who wanted a full house of their own without being in a FC, in patch 2.4 they opened up the plots so that individuals could purchase them as well and doubled the number of purchasable plots.

On most servers, where there was already a surplus of land available, this wasn't much of an issue, but on the big servers like Excalibur, there was an immediate land rush that caused the entire affordable housing stock to be bought out within a few hours.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Smart Car posted:

even our collective shitposting is nothing compared to the sheer maelstrom of poo that is wildstar

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

cthulhoo posted:

even our collective shitposting is nothing compared to the sheer maelstrom of poo that is wildstar

That statement is false because Wildstar has the opportunity to improve over time.

MMO HMO? Not so much.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Givin posted:

That statement is false because Wildstar has the opportunity to improve over time.

lol

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
I had an idea about alleviating boredom during the long GCD. What if some abilities could be performed while the GCD was active? Perhaps these abilities could activate in response to semi-random conditions, lending a more dynamic feel to the combat.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
no see, the gcd is 1.5 seconds and this is unacceptable because

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

It's almost as if FF14 were targeted at a market that has no experience with western MMOs, unlike Wildstar...

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Givin posted:

lmao

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Givin posted:

I think you meant to use "had" there, buddy.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

tbf shutdown can be considered an improvement in this case

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

cthulhoo posted:

tbf shutdown can be considered an improvement in this case

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
The only game genre worse than MMOs are MOBAS.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
The more buttons I have to push per minute is directly proportional to how quickly I burn out on playing an mmo when doing content constantly.

This is why action mmos are bad and XIV is king. I can Divine Seal regen a tank and then go take a piss and come back and he's still ok and no one even noticed I was gone.

Also you guys are stupid idiots who didn't do any content worth talking about.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Holyshoot posted:

Idk garrisons made me about 600k gold with not a lot of effort. Still boring but more useful then wildstar housing. (I don't find using housing like a dress up simulator fun)

If you weren't making a ton of money off of your wildstar house you were doing it wrong. Building a mining plot and joining a miner circle was a license to print money.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

onesixtwo posted:

no see, the gcd is 1.5 seconds and this is unacceptable because

I leveled a warrior in rift recently because of the 1.5 second gcd. It was very relaxing.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The idea that the only content that matters in MMO is endgame stuff needs to die. If I'm going to have to spend 20-40 hours playing your game before I get to endgame stuff, you better make the leveling experience actually good. I've played a ton of MMOs but besides when I was in middle school, I rarely ever get to max level in them, because I always get burnout from their leveling content. The only exception I have is SWTOR where I have 6 characters who have finished class stories, and three who got to 55. Haven't gone back for the new expansion yet, but still.

Yeah raid content is important and FF14 has great looking raids. But if the game is slow as heck and boring for me to play up til the raids, why am I gonna play it again? Why am I not gonna find a better game to play?

MMOs - Why am I not going to find a better game to play?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
You played a poo poo game through 6 times cause it had a lovely story but you couldn't play a good game through 1 time with a good story?

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Deki posted:

The only game genre worse than MMOs are MOBAS.

realpost: i am still somewhat proud that i have no idea what is actually the point of a MOBA and how to play them

e: i do know that people swear at each other a lot while playing so i guess its very intense

cthulhoo fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 26, 2015

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Belzac posted:

You played a poo poo game through 6 times cause it had a lovely story but you couldn't play a good game through 1 time with a good story?

swtor has an ok story actually for most of the classes, well as far as games go anyway

its not generic blah blah save the world by farming bear asses poo poo like wow et al

another contender is secret world but just loving lol at everything there except for story missions/debriefings

cthulhoo fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 26, 2015

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
A moba as like an RTS but most of your guys do the complete opposite of what you tell them.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Belzac posted:

XIV's story doesn't really get good til Coerthas, or arguably after the 2.2 patch. So I totally understand someone hating the intro story. The GCD thing...is a matter of taste? I dunno, I hated it when I first tried, now playing any other mmo feels like I'm spastically flailing my hands across my keyboard. I'd say a bigger problem is that aside from Bard or Monk you're stuck waiting til at least the 30s to get something approaching interesting abilities. That's a bigger problem for people starting out. :v:

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Eimi posted:

XIV's story doesn't really get good til Coerthas, or arguably after the 2.2 patch. So I totally understand someone hating the intro story. The GCD thing...is a matter of taste? I dunno, I hated it when I first tried, now playing any other mmo feels like I'm spastically flailing my hands across my keyboard. I'd say a bigger problem is that aside from Bard or Monk you're stuck waiting til at least the 30s to get something approaching interesting abilities. That's a bigger problem for people starting out. :v:

There's already some intrigue and cool stuff going on before you even get your airship pass.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I have tried playing MMOs which are not action combat and I just cannot do it anymore. The closer that the combat is to games like Monster Hunter/Dark Souls/Witcher 3 etc except less punishing to the player the better. It is 100% a matter of preference and I am ok with that, but this is how it is for me now. At the same time, I don't want to just feel like I am face rolling through cool downs either. I want my choices about when to attack, what attack to use, and when to deploy a defensive maneuver to matter. I want to commit to those choices by being partially locked into animations. I want really good telegraphed enemy attacks. I want it to be possible to solo fights that are considered to be really hard without taking a single hit if I get good enough at it and have the patience to deal with it. I want smarter enemy AI and less giant sacks of boring health.

This MMO does not exist but some are closer than others. Here is to hoping...

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

cthulhoo posted:

another contender is secret world but just loving lol at everything there except for story missions/debriefings

TSW is a terrible game with an exceptional story, helped along by the fact that it has a setting nobody else can even hope to match. Some of the missions are genuinely disgusting and/or terrifying.

Compared to it, every other MMO is basically tilting at windmills.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Mid level vindictus is about as close as there is. The problem is that action MMOs have The Worst ways of gear acquisition imaginable.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Even though I'd much prefer an action combat MMO, I can't stand them. As the more action oriented they get, the more they make me wish I were playing Bayonetta or DMC Online. A type of game that will never happen. You can have action gameplay with smaller, less twitchy movesets but that requires extremely tight timing... Which, again, will never happen in an MMO. So, I'd rather just play faux-turnbased games as they are.

The real question I have is why are all MMOs RPGs when a major complaint about them is that they are all similar and stagnant?

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
what if someone somehow combined a moba with an mmo

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

RottenK posted:

what if someone somehow combined a moba with an mmo

Vanilla Alterac Valley.

Adbot