Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coathat
May 21, 2007

It would be better if any of it mattered, but nothing changed at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

coathat posted:

It would be better if any of it mattered, but nothing changed at all.

It did, though, because it meant both we and the cast learned more about the band's politics, and the president became more secure in (and accepted in) her position after her slowly-building crisis of faith reached a head, and we've set up the implications of the impending conflict over the trumpet section, which is likely to mean bad things for Reina.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Yeah, also it seems like Kumiko has become complacent over her euphonium role - especially with her depression over Aoi leaving, while Natsuki has become invigorated over it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I'm on the side that this was a good episode. It added a lot to some of the other main characters, like the prez and Asuka, and improved on some of the social dynamics of the band as a whole. I even like the romance setup. It doesn't feel all that forced, because honestly what's a show about a bunch of high school students doing regular things if there's no romance?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

k-on?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

I'm on the side that this was a good episode. It added a lot to some of the other main characters, like the prez and Asuka, and improved on some of the social dynamics of the band as a whole. I even like the romance setup. It doesn't feel all that forced, because honestly what's a show about a bunch of high school students doing regular things if there's no romance?

If they're actually going for Shuichi/Hazuki, then yeah, it should be fine. It's just that he and Kumiko have, like, zero romantic chemistry, so it'd suck if it was used to bring them into a relationship.

It's kind of weird that the books apparently keep everything heterosexual, because the show is presently leaning heavily towards Kumiko/Reina and Shuichi/Hazuki. I mean, forget the ED, that little conversation in Episode 6 where Kumiko tries to 'pay back' Reina's Vogue shot alone...

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
AFAIK Kumiko does end up with Shuichi in the novels. It's seemingly not built up that much there either, but it's more understandable anyway because A: Shuichi has a bigger presence in the novels I believe, and B: a lot of the Kumiko/Reina interactions in the anime is original material apparently. Now, adding so much Kumiko/Reina stuff instead of building up to romance with Shuichi seems weird if they're just gonna re-tread the same romance. However, Hazuki having a thing for Shuichi is apparently still a thing in the novels though, so that subplot in and of itself doesn't indicate that the anime staff is planning to pair him off with her. And Kumiko/Reina still have lots of subtext/tension in the novels too, despite each getting paired with someone else (As a side-note, Reina gets paired with the teacher which, eeeeeewww. I'd hope they change things up just for that).

E: Sorry, I didn't really think about random romance stuff as spoilers I guess.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 20, 2015

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

dude why are you spoiling the book

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Tag spoilers please, what the gently caress.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

well i say loving novels then, those options are terrible

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

AFAIK Kumiko does end up with Shuichi in the novels. It's seemingly not built up that much there either, but it's more understandable anyway because A: Shuichi has a bigger presence in the novels I believe, and B: a lot of the Kumiko/Reina interactions in the anime is original material apparently. Now, adding so much Kumiko/Reina stuff instead of building up to romance with Shuichi seems weird if they're just gonna re-tread the same romance. However, Hazuki having a thing for Shuichi is apparently still a thing in the novels though, so that subplot in and of itself doesn't indicate that the anime staff is planning to pair him off with her. And Kumiko/Reina still have lots of subtext/tension in the novels too, despite each getting paired with someone else (As a side-note, Reina gets paired with the teacher which, eeeeeewww. I'd hope they change things up just for that).

E: Sorry, I didn't really think about random romance stuff as spoilers I guess.

Well, gently caress canon, then, I guess we know what the superior option here is. C'mon, KyoAni. Be bold. Do eeet.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....
Said novel spoilers have to actually be from someone who've read the entire novel and not just idiotically jumping to the epilogue of novel 3 and thinking they know what happens. There's very few people who have actually read them and they're not talking about anything relating to the relationship. There's more idiocy than spoilers out about this series. It's humorous to see the English fans jumping around.

<- Person who's read novels 1-2 and starting v3 (but read spoilers from Japanese fans).

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Please don't post spoilers from the books.

OP updated with the songs used though 7 episodes:

暴れん坊将軍のテーマ (Theme from Abarenbo Shogun)
Orpheus in the Underworld (Can-Can) by Jacques Offenbach
海兵隊 (The Marines' Hymn)
Symphony No 9 in E minor, Op 95 by Antonín Dvořák
The Fairest of the Fair by John Philip Sousa
Funiculi Funicula by Luigi Denza
RYDEEN by Yellow Magic Orchestra (orchestral)
三日月の舞/堀川奈美恵 (Crescent Moon Dance by Namie Horikawa)
mentioned but not played yet: マーチ「プロヴァンスの風」/田坂 直樹 (March "Wind of Provence" by Naoki Tanaka)

If anyone can find a recording of Crescent Moon Dance that'd be great.

maybeflan
May 15, 2014
Nothing for Crescent Moon Dance. According to some other people it's by a fictional composer and not a real song.
Guess you'll have to wait for the soundtrack.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

ViggyNash posted:

Yeah, this was a great episode. Things actually happened in it, they just don't feel like very big things because it's a high school drama. Once you graduate high school and give it a few years you realize how pointless it all was anyway, but that's the setting. Lots of things were set up, quite a lot of the vague backstory was filled in, and a pretty big event happened at the end that will start the next branch of the story.

Basically if you're married to the idea that this show is about these 4 people and only these 4 people then sure, nothing happened, but that's a pretty silly stance to take.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

coathat posted:

drat episode seven was a stinker.

Wrong. Did you see how beautiful the water was in all the outdoor scenes

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I watched all of Kanon despite thinking it was the dumbest poo poo in the world because of how beautiful all the snow was. KyoAni should do another cold climate show

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

I watched all of Kanon despite thinking it was the dumbest poo poo in the world because of how beautiful all the snow was. KyoAni should do another cold climate show

I never got past a couple episodes because the eyes terrified me.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ViggyNash posted:

Weak

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

I made it through Clannad, does that count for something?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

You didn't miss anything

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

ViggyNash posted:

The character design is almost identical in both, isn't it?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

early kyoan eyes could be horrible, its the one thing i don't like about haruhi. awful eyes

coathat
May 21, 2007

The gently caress

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

ViggyNash posted:

They have the same story structure anyways, only clannad is told better.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
After this episode I will rage if this show isn't yuri ending.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

arisu posted:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
:frogout:

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
And with this episode, you can hear the sound of a million fanfics starting.

Good poo poo though. Their interactions with each other really was interesting to watch play out.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

arisu posted:

... but I expect it won't be. This episode felt kind of 'OK, fanboys, here's what you wanted, now let's pull back and do a proper heterosexual romance because Class S isn't dead no matter how much people might hope otherwise'. I mean, I'd love to be wrong, but...

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
As normal as teacher/student relationships seem to be in anime (which makes me wonder how common they are in real life in Japan), I'd probably prefer the yuri ending over the two hetero endings. Both were hinted at before, admittedly, but the anime seems to lay down a purest form of love ending even harder

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Yeees. Go for it, Kyoani. It's definitely the relationship that makes the most sense the way things have been set up.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I, for one, welcome our new yuri overlords.

Also: you go, Gotou.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Mikl posted:

Also: you go, Gotou.
It's the most HS Band relationship in the show.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's gonna be such bullshit when these two don't kiss

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

:corrupt:

Also I'm enjoying the pacing of everything.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
drat you Euphorium!!!! You turned me into what I hate the most, a shipper!! I will never forgive you!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
That was a pretty great episode, lots of good character development. I really love the animation here, especially how you can see the emotions flitting across each character's face both clearly and subtly, it's like an entire second track of dialogue.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
What a fun, totally heterosexual festival episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

:worship:

• Locked thread