Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

They're not smart enough to realize IQ doesn't matter.

They took an online IQ test and it told them they were a genius, so there must be some other reason they're still living with their parents and unable to get a job that doesn't involve hairnets or nametags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yolo Swaggins Esq posted:

There's no magic drink that makes you speak in tongues to the furniture
Let's be fair, there probably is, it's just not going to help with your papers.

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all

My Lovely Horse posted:

Let's be fair, there probably is, it's just not going to help with your papers.

It's called Ayahuasca, and no, it won't :lsd:

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

oldpainless posted:

They're not smart enough to realize IQ doesn't matter.

Even if IQ doesn't matter, the biggest STDH is the psychologist picking that specific range based on the client's vocabulary. Especially considering the following statements that are filled with sentence fragments and repeated statements.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
What the gently caress is Clep

Leninboarrir
May 11, 2006

stupid monster

sweeperbravo posted:

Tests you can take before you get to college, but allow you to earn college credit.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sweeperbravo posted:

what you get when you gently caress with Texas

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

sweeperbravo posted:

College Level Exam Program

Basically, like APs.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Thanks everyone. I will go forward and clep no more

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Oh Annabelle, you're so quirky!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Those letter ones always irritate me. Just like the NAR-ish ones always leave me thinking "real humans don't talk like this", the letters make me wonder how/why so many people believe the "elaborate recounting of the author's wacky hijinks" style all these letters have. It's almost like these people have never interacted with real humans or, in this case, employers before.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Dear Mr. [Employer],

In response to you letter regarding [Potential employee] we have the following information for your consideration.

LMAO dont hier her she mad like a fox

Best,
[Me]

CEO of everything.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm pretty sure the ADA says that a business can not require proof that an animal is indeed a service animal. In the U.S. anyway but this person lives in imaginary land so it doesn't matter I suppose.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Forget the ADA thing, wouldn't it be hugely illegal for a previous employer to provide that kind of information? As I understood it, aren't they only able to confirm or deny the person worked there and if they did verify the dates?

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

MindlessHavok posted:

Forget the ADA thing, wouldn't it be hugely illegal for a previous employer to provide that kind of information? As I understood it, aren't they only able to confirm or deny the person worked there and if they did verify the dates?

At least in the US, there isn't any official law against it, but a lot of companies have that policy anyway, for various reasons.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

MindlessHavok posted:

Confirm employment, dates, and whether or not they would rehire. IIRC

E:For Canada, so...

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

That's a common misconception. Most places won't say anything because there's a chance you will try to take them to court for lying about their reference, and missing even minor details can spell disaster for them. So most places will just confirm the most basic, objective information and never touch subjective qualities like your effectiveness at work and etc

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all

Not Always Right posted:

The Medium Suddenly Felt Very Small
FAST FOOD, RESTAURANT | DAYTONA BEACH, FL, USA | AT THE CHECKOUT, BAD BEHAVIOR, FOOD & DRINK
(I am a customer waiting in line at a popular fast food restaurant’s drive thru. I am next to place my order, and behind a large black SUV with a middle-aged blonde soccer mom type in the driver’s seat, another person in the passenger’s seat, and what must be her son in the back seat. She places the order for the son and begins to give her order.)

Mother: “I’d like a #4.”

Cashier: “And what size would you like that?”

Mother: “Medium.”

Cashier: “Okay, and what to drink?”

Mother: “Medium.”

Cashier: “I’m sorry, what would you like to drink?”

Mother: “MEDIUM!”

Cashier: “Miss, I’m sorry, I just want to know what you would like your beverage to be today.”

Mother: “MEDI—”

(At this point I have had more than enough, as I detest people who don’t listen when ordering and treat food service employees like they are lesser. I stick my head out the window and shout at the top of my lungs.)

Me: “SHE’S ASKING WHAT YOU WANT TO DRINK, YOU IDIOT!”

(The mother sticks her head out her window as well to glare at me, when she notices my gleaming, freshly shaven bald head, large beard, and scowl barely covered by my sunglasses. She turns back to the speaker and meekly replies…)

Mother: “A Diet Coke, please.”

(After I give my order, actually giving the size and beverage without needed to be prompted, I pull up to pay.)

Cashier: “Oh, my God, thank you. You have no idea how long I’ve wanted to do that!”

Me: “Don’t worry. For a long time I used to work in restaurants. I’ve wanted to do that forever, too!”

A True 'Murican hero :patriot:

&c, etc - take your pick :wotwot:

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm pretty sure the ADA says that a business can not require proof that an animal is indeed a service animal. In the U.S. anyway but this person lives in imaginary land so it doesn't matter I suppose.

That applies to customers, not employees. An employer has a right under Title I of the ADA to request documentation that the employee has need of the service animal, as well as evidence that the animal is actually trained to assist with the medical need in question and will not be a disruption in the workplace. So for example, while a person can get away with a pug in a purse as a service animal while dining out, at work a supervisor could say nope to the dog without actual evidence of a medical need and the dog being part of a reasonable accommodation for said need.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

monny posted:

quote:

(The mother sticks her head out her window as well to glare at me, when she notices my gleaming, freshly shaven bald head, large beard, and scowl barely covered by my sunglasses. She turns back to the speaker and meekly replies…)

A skinhead?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Yolo Swaggins Esq posted:

There's no magic drink that makes you speak in tongues to the furniture, just good old fashioned sleep deprivation when you have a few big assessments due in the same week and are too young and dumb to organise yourself better.

He also thinks that the color of your coffee (how much cream you put in it) affects its caffeine content.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well he could be talking about a concentration thing, IE: No cream = Nothing to water it down / dilute it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Behind Closed Ovens is already a shitpost collation that Gawker's been doing, but the new series is basically peak stdh.txt Behold:
Restaurant Employees Who Had Their Revenge

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.

Everblight posted:

Behind Closed Ovens is already a shitpost collation that Gawker's been doing, but the new series is basically peak stdh.txt Behold:
Restaurant Employees Who Had Their Revenge

quote:

The second class of assholes were the advanced students. These were the ones for whom we reserved our greatest scorn as well as our Big Gun: a tiny, little bottle of Murine eye drops that we kept under the bar. To earn the title of Uber rear end in a top hat, they had to been a creeper to any female patron or especially to one of our cocktail waitresses. Once they earned our scorn at this level, they got a few drops of Murine into their next drink. Now, Murine has long since changed its formula as I understand it, so unfortunately this no longer works. What it did back then, however, was give Mr. Creepyhead a good 30 minutes or so of the most explosive diarrhea they’d ever known. Let’s just say this can be “inconvenient” in a busy nightclub with a line at the head.

(Editor’s Note: As many of you have pointed out, this one—and only this one—is actually too far. Not only do visine/murine not actually cause diarrhea, they are legitimately dangerous. So yeah, there are times when the quest for revenge—even intended nobly—can be misused. This is one of them. Instructive.)

:allears:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Just to be clear, there was never a single eye-drop story until CSI ran an episode that featured it, that is when all of the stories started happening.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Not mentioned in the story: manager and co-worker also speak fluent Mandarin, so they can understand what happened? :shrug:

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

Teenagers! :bahgawd:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Continuing with the language theme:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

monny posted:

Aggressive irate customer grows increasingly aggressive and irate, passive polite cashier grows more passive and polite

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Maybe 10 years ago. At this point I'm regularly stuck in an elevator with adults 50+ who just gawk at their phones the whole time.

Like 10 years ago it was all kids talking on phones, but these days I see more grown-rear end adults checking text messages while driving on the highway than I see kids with cellphones. Ugh.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Decrepus posted:

Just to be clear, there was never a single eye-drop story until CSI ran an episode that featured it, that is when all of the stories started happening.

That might have popularized it, but the eyedrop as revenge idea is definitely older than that. Snopes lists a 1995 case in its page debunking the "Visine causes diarrhea" myth.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

ibntumart posted:

That applies to customers, not employees. An employer has a right under Title I of the ADA to request documentation that the employee has need of the service animal, as well as evidence that the animal is actually trained to assist with the medical need in question and will not be a disruption in the workplace. So for example, while a person can get away with a pug in a purse as a service animal while dining out, at work a supervisor could say nope to the dog without actual evidence of a medical need and the dog being part of a reasonable accommodation for said need.

Usually the employer already knows about why an employee might need a Service Animal. Because of Reasonable Accomodations laws, you must first explain your need and why the animal will help. Obvious cases, or where someone was hired and already had the dog, don't apply. You can't just go to Service Dogs R Us and walk out with an animal, either. You and the animal have to be matched, then there's a training time for you and the dog to see if you're compatible. The only relationship more closely bonded than a service animal one is called 'marriage'.

I have a Service Dog, and she has saved my life more times than I can count. Currently she's recovering from cancer surgery. I'll be a wreck until her tests come back.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Khazar-khum posted:

Usually the employer already knows about why an employee might need a Service Animal. Because of Reasonable Accomodations laws, you must first explain your need and why the animal will help. Obvious cases, or where someone was hired and already had the dog, don't apply. You can't just go to Service Dogs R Us and walk out with an animal, either. You and the animal have to be matched, then there's a training time for you and the dog to see if you're compatible. The only relationship more closely bonded than a service animal one is called 'marriage'.

Yes, we're in agreement here. I was just replying to someone who wondered if employers could legally ask about an employee's service animal to begin with.

Khazar-khum posted:

I have a Service Dog, and she has saved my life more times than I can count. Currently she's recovering from cancer surgery. I'll be a wreck until her tests come back.

Sorry to hear it. :( Hope all goes well.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

My dad is Ron Swanson

quote:

He asked around the entire village for 2 days asking if anyone seen anything. When he finally found out what happened he drove around their house for about 3 hours until he saw one on the bike and chased them. He found it in a yard a while later and took it back. I was 12 at the time.

quote:

In his words "some rear end in a top hat painted the clear plastic sheet black" instead of the metal and he fell through. But he "had a job to do" and in his eyes he was fine, so he carried on with his day.

quote:

His mother died about 7 years later but he doesn't regret it. He only regrets it when people say he isn't good enough for my uni educated mother. Which we despise, it's the only time he's ever shown weakness. He didn't even show it when his father or any of his friends died.

quote:

Found out my boyfriend had a turbulent relationship with his dad, like he had. He wanted him to know he had another dad that loved him but didn't know how. He made himself feel less awkward by calling him shithead, lovingly though. :)

quote:

At his best friend's memorial gathering that they have ever year. Came in like he had left the house earlier and said this. For an Irish man though I guess that's a little weak...

quote:

He tripped and his hand went straight into a tar pit. He took it out and flung his hand and the skin fell right off. Went into the doctor who fixed it with an anti-bac bag and told him he needed a few months to let it heal. When he asked this the doctor said "yes, but we'll schedule you in for amputation on Tuesday is that ok Sir?"... he lasted two weeks....

quote:

We were very poor growing up, sharing cans of beans and making clothes out of bed sheets etc. I have no memories of him from before 10 years old and he hadn't attended a birthday til I was 16. I'm grateful.. in a weird way... that he was never there.... he's an awesome dad...

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I, too, can work 20 hours per day for 15 years straight. That is certainly a thing people are capable of doing.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Murphy Brownback posted:

I, too, can work 20 hours per day for 15 years straight. That is certainly a thing people are capable of doing.

4 hours of sleep a night at the max, and that's assuming he literally lives at work so he doesn't have to travel home for sleep. If we make the very generous assumption that it actually happened then they were probably poor because he was an incredibly lovely employee that always hosed up because he was always exhausted. Alternate idea, he worked normal hours and spent the rest of his time drinking and whoring and neglected his family to share cold tins of beans and wear bedsheets because he didn't give a gently caress.

Some Zero
Sep 23, 2009

reddit posted:

I live in a pretty big city and I went through a nasty divorce. After the divorce my wife would harass me, she would come to my work, yell, insult, and just generally make a scene. I had also heard rumors that she had stopped by a few of my local watering holes.
So I got a no contact order basically she was to have no contact with me, whats so ever. If I'm in a store and she is in the store she has to leave, etc. We live in a big city with lots of options and now live on opposite sides of said city. So its not like we don't have choices.
well a few months after the divorce I was in a bar on a date with a lady I was interested in. My ex-wife came in and walked up to the woman and started telling her that I'm her husband, that my date is a cheating a whore, and I advised my ex-wife I have a no contact order and she needs to leave the bar. She tells me to shut the gently caress up and we'll talk when we get home. I tell my date that I'm going step outside and call the police.
I call the police and tell them whats up, and that they need to come and enforce this no contact order.
Two uniformed cops show up a few minutes later (maybe 4 or 5 mins) as my ex wife is being a crazy lunatic (I had my reasons for the divorce)
First cop comes up to me, approaches me asks to see the no contact order, I gave him the copy I have, he agrees shes violating the no contact order.
2nd Cop approaches her as shes yelling at me as I gave her the 1000 yard stare and says "Miss you need to leave right now" she turns out around the cop and says "I'm talking to my loving husband you pig"
Turns back around and continues to bitch at me. I start to smirk, I see 1st cop move around to the left of her and I see his hand on the taser. Its not drawn yet, but I really hope this bitch is about to get zapped. First cop tries to get her attention, grabs her shoulder, she turns out and says "Dont loving touch me" cop says "you need to leave now"
She says "You touch me again, and I'll loving slap you" (shes really angry)
she turns back around, yells at me, mid sentence grab puts a firm grip on her shoulder. My wife turns around and slaps the poo poo out of the cop.
I break out into laughter, this is going be awesome. She just assaulted an officer.
She immediately gets tackled to the ground, taser comes out and is pointed at her, as the 2nd cop begins to arrest her.
And yes not only did she get charged with violating the no contact order but she also got charged with assaulting an officer.
I have not seen her since then.
To my LEOs
Thank you
And to the LEO who got slapped by my wife, I'm sorry I had to put you through that.
A few notes
My date came back to the table and said "She really is crazy" and I go "yup"
BTW me and that girl are still together :)
Cop 1 came back to me and questioned me a bit, he said he actually enjoyed this call as he rarely ever sees men have no contact orders.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
To be fair, I believe a cop would enjoy tackling and tazing someone.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

EmmyOk posted:

My dad is Ron Swanson

Well someone's got daddy issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Aka an alcoholic.

• Locked thread