Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Neptr posted:

Internet comments are not "demand,"

I wish this was posted all over every internet car thread ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Just posted in the mustang thread:

920A is the GT350R, by the way.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Wheeee posted:

In fifteen years or so people will be moaning about how the FR-S was the last really cool Japanese sports car and how hard they are to find unmolested by ricers.

It's me, I'm the tablescraps car buyer.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Wheeee posted:

In fifteen years or so people will be moaning about how the FR-S was the last really cool Japanese sports car and how hard they are to find unmolested by ricers.

Well I got one of the last stock kouki s14's I'm sure. Still needs more power. Even in the 90's the KA24DE was kinda poo poo.

Edit: the more I think about your post the funnier it is because as soon as anyone gets a 240 in decent shape the first thing to go is the KA. No one keeps the stock engine. It's either SR20, turbo the KA or LSX. Wanna guess why?

Coredump fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 25, 2015

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

SperginMcBadposter posted:

It's me, I'm the tablescraps car buyer.

It's true, though. Affordable sports cars don't sell new.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Mange Mite posted:

It's true, though. Affordable sports cars don't sell new.

Mustang is selling well enough.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

sudo rm -rf posted:

Just posted in the mustang thread:

920A is the GT350R, by the way.

That's actually not bad. I bet you'll be able to get a track pack for mid $40k's a few months after release.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Coredump posted:

Mustang is selling well enough.

Isn't a sports car and costs half again as much to get into the fast (Good) one.

With the disclaimer that I haven't driven one, everything I've seen and read on the FR-S/BRZ leads me to believe that it's an almost-brilliant car let down only by a lovely engine. Once they're selling for $10k the idea of fixing how lovely the engine is by putting in a turbo kit or a better engine from a WRX donor or whatever will be a lot easier to digest.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I will say that nothing in the EJ series has anything CLOSE to the throttle response of the FA20.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Is it really that lovely a motor? The only three complaints I regularly read about it are the weird torque dip (which is fixable), it sounds awful (hardly makes it bad in a functional sense) and not enough power. That sounds like a slightly flawed engine, not some hunk of irredeemable poo poo.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Coredump posted:

Well I got one of the last stock kouki s14's I'm sure. Still needs more power. Even in the 90's the KA24DE was kinda poo poo.

Edit: the more I think about your post the funnier it is because as soon as anyone gets a 240 in decent shape the first thing to go is the KA. No one keeps the stock engine. It's either SR20, turbo the KA or LSX. Wanna guess why?

The hard work was already done for all the S-chassis in Australia (because we stole them all from Japan) :v:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Q_res posted:

Is it really that lovely a motor? The only three complaints I regularly read about it are the weird torque dip (which is fixable), it sounds awful (hardly makes it bad in a functional sense) and not enough power. That sounds like a slightly flawed engine, not some hunk of irredeemable poo poo.

There's a lot of hyperbole going on in this thread. I rather enjoy the powerplant. I wouldn't kick an extra 40-50 horses out of bed if they were available, but as it is it still pairs with the car well and really does reward enthusiastic driving.

As mentioned, the throttle response is positively electric. Even when you are in the torque dip, it still FEELS like you got more torque than the EJ25 turbo because that engine gets your commands by telegraph and then asks the turbo to spin up via semaphore. Once everything spools up, the EJ25 pulls like a dragster by comparison, but it takes F.O.R.E.V.E.R. to get there.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Wheeee posted:

Isn't a sports car and costs half again as much to get into the fast (Good) one.

Knew the first reply to that would be a semantics argument. If a BRZ is a sports car then a mustang is a sports car. And cite your source it costs half as much again. Plus it's still selling well, so affordable sports do in fact sell.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Throatwarbler posted:

It's going to be very widely produced, because the NX - it's a rebadged RAV4, is going to be a huge sales success, and they are already dropping it into the IS and other RWD cars in overseas markets to replace the 2.5l V6.

It'll certainly be in a lot of premium vehicles that start around 30K.

Beyond that, I'm not sure a motor that tops out below 5500 RPM is the right fit for a lightweight sports car. I'm not saying this is a bad motor, but it wasn't available when they designed the twins, is likely too expensive for the price point they were chasing, and may not have the right character.

Taco Box posted:

'I wish I could close my ears the way I can close my eyes' because the engine sounds awful. I wanted to like the twins so badly, and they are so comfortable, but omg that engine is such a turd.

To be fair, he also gripes about the Mustang's engine's sound and apparently can't hear the BMW's.

It strikes me that the twins' motor is a lot like the NC's MZR. That motor also makes meh power and sounds like garbage without an aftermarket exhaust.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

PeterWeller posted:

It strikes me that the twins' motor is a lot like the NC's MZR. That motor also makes meh power and sounds like garbage without an aftermarket exhaust.

Ehn. The NC motor has a better power curve and frankly didn't sound half bad. I wouldn't lump it in.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

bull3964 posted:

There's a lot of hyperbole going on in this thread.

Seriously. And I'm saying that as someone that will likely be getting rid of his in the near future, likely for something bigger and more powerful.

It's a drat fun car and gets great MPGs even when rung out daily. Yeah, you need to push it to get the most of it, but that's what's fun about it. How many of you have daily driven sub 5 sec 0-60 cars?? How often do you use that power daily? Getting on freeway ramps pretty much, right? Or if more often, how do you avoid getting caught :getin:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

howling_mad posted:

Ehn. The NC motor has a better power curve and frankly didn't sound half bad. I wouldn't lump it in.

I won't argue the first part, but the NC just sort of drones with the stock muffler. A cheap Roadstersport race muffler does clear that up nicely. As far as I understand, the twins are an aftermarket muffler away from sounding good too.

E: I should say that I had a NC, I certainly didn't buy it for its engine, and the first thing I did to it was swap in the muffler I mentioned.

PeterWeller fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 26, 2015

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

I'd be willing to wager that the disparity between the Mustang and the FRS/BRZ twins in the US has nothing to do with the capabilities of either car but more to do with overall appeal. The Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger are exciting looking, have a bit of prestige here, and most importantly, they appeal to people who don't judge solely on performance or driving feel. The take rate for a V6 Camaro is three times that of the V8, and the numbers are the same for autos vs manuals. This isn't because of any inherent performance advantages of the V6 over the V8 or a desire for consistent shifts at the race track, but because it's the cheapest, most convenient Camaro, and those people wanted to drive around in Bumblebee. They are perceived not as "performance bargains", but as "nice cars" by people.

The twins, meanwhile, are nerdy enthusiast toys for people that wanted a new AE86. In 2012, the take rate for manuals on the BRZ was 70 percent, and 52 percent on the FRS. It's not because these cars have bad automatics or that they were able to #savethemanual, but because they appealed to the limited number of people that see a stick or low curb weight as a selling point. You can't really show off a niche enthusiast product like that either. Bragging about a Subaru to people that aren't enthusiasts is like bragging about buying the generic beer in the white can that just says "BEER" like in Repo Man and trying to brag about your new Scion is more or less the equivalent of starting conversations by saying "I have no money" or "I have a fetish for cube like objects" to people.

If you compare sales of the Scion FRS to something that is somewhat in the league of a V6 Mustang or Camaro but doesn't have the image and name recognition, like the Hyundai Genesis Coupe (Hyundai does not separate US sales figures for the coupe and sedan, but most sources indicate a 50:50 split between them) they're fairly close. Anyone that wanted a faster Japanese thing got a WRX, which is just a grand more MSRP wise than the BRZ, or is the kind of enthusiast that is just going to add power themselves.

e: Meanwhile, in over enthusiastic unconfirmed rumor land, Toyota is rumored to be making a sports car to slot in below the ZN6 twins, that "will draw inspiration from the original Lotus Seven." Here is a render from somewhere:

razorscooter fucked around with this message at 06:09 on May 26, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

^^ It's like someone took the model of a Seven and replaced its texture with one from a Civic. :psyduck:

For what it's worth, anecdotally, I see a lot more of both the twins and Genesis sedan than I do Genesis coupes. I do see a decent amount of Tiburons, though...

KillHour fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 26, 2015

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Powershift posted:

Unfotunately, you can't get painted bumpers with guard green or caribou because ford are dicks, but for under 30 grand you can get a 2.7 ecoboost, sport appearance package with a locking 3.73

It should be around 800lbs lighter than the config that ran 5.7 0-60 and 14.3 1/4 mile. both of those numbers are better than the ecoboost mustang with either trans.

It's basically a $30k lightning.

What? Color exclusions can bite my balls.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

PeterWeller posted:

I won't argue the first part, but the NC just sort of drones with the stock muffler. A cheap Roadstersport race muffler does clear that up nicely. As far as I understand, the twins are an aftermarket muffler away from sounding good too.

E: I should say that I had a NC, I certainly didn't buy it for its engine, and the first thing I did to it was swap in the muffler I mentioned.

Oh, as did I. I miss it. Not overly practical for Midwest winters however.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

What? Color exclusions can bite my balls.

Tell that to the Honda Accord. If you want a manual transmission, you can either get it in gray or grayer, or I think gray or black with the base trim. You can get red in a coupe though.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
RIP Mazda 2. This is disappointing.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/no-2-for-you-u-s-wont-get-new-mazda-2-subcompact/

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

razorscooter posted:

e: Meanwhile, in over enthusiastic unconfirmed rumor land, Toyota is rumored to be making a sports car to slot in below the ZN6 twins, that "will draw inspiration from the original Lotus Seven." Here is a render from somewhere:

It looks like someone freeze dried a Plymouth Prowler

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Man, I was really looking forward to the new Mazda 2 hatchback. :( Cue a bunch of people buying the Scion iA and doing a HELLA TITE JDM swap.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The Fit is superior in every way, gently caress a 2.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
The new 2's interior is ridiculously nice for a car in that segment, it's better looking and the new Fit lost it's Mk1 GTI'ish vibe.

But hey, the CX3's basically the same thing so whatever.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

the new Fit lost it's Mk1 GTI'ish vibe

Howso? I own one with the 6MT and it's loving amazing for a sub-18k (USD) car. The new DOHC motor wants to sing the song of its people, the transaxle is typical Honda smooth, and it drives almost exactly like a GD or GE Fit.

Oh and the seats are better, it has Bluetooth, a backup and right side mirror camera, a sixth gear, the same stellar interior space, and I can drive it like a race car and never get less than 32mpg. Plus keyless entry, push button start, and you don't have to cut the driver's side carpet to install all-weather floor mats.

You've either not owned Fits, or are talking out of your arse. It might be a few hundred pounds heavier than a GD, but it doesn't feel it, and makes up for it in spades in what it's gained.

edit: mph != mpg, but the keys are so close.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Has anyone driven a 2015 Charger yet? How did you find it? (interior and driving qualities)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The new 2/Demio is really nice. The almond interior on it was punching way above it's weight class, the dash didn't feel cheap either.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Well gently caress. :(

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The CX-3 is a lot better looking, just get one of those and lower it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Oh, look at all these new posts! Something interesting must have happened today...NOPE. There's already one thread for bitching about the Toyobaru. Jesus. :v:

Side note, the new GT350 looks priced decently. I now want to see how it compares to the Z28/1LE/ZL1/2016 Camaro. :)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Larrymer posted:

Oh, look at all these new posts! Something interesting must have happened today...NOPE. There's already one thread for bitching about the Toyobaru. Jesus. :v:

Side note, the new GT350 looks priced decently. I now want to see how it compares to the Z28/1LE/ZL1/2016 Camaro. :)

Hopefully ford has time to react to the new weight of the camaro, and throws every bit of aluminum and CF they can at that beast.

GT350R + air con and stereo added back in ends up at $64,370. $170 more than the BMW M4.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Larrymer posted:

It will never end. Even after manually driven cars are banned, I'll walk into a Starbucks and see a bunch of you fuckers sitting around in flannel shirts and skinny jeans pulled up to your nipples arguing about the loving Toyobaru.

Larrymer posted:

Honestly, it doesn't matter how well it performs. I can afford a base GT350, which is not something that can be said about three of those options. Plus, it probably revs to something like 8500 RPMs.

That being said, the performance might not be so much better than the 2016 SS to justify the costs, especially if the Camaro ends up being 3600 lbs.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Well anyway back to competition among cars people actually care about, VW is hitting back at all those Chrysler commercials that specially call out VW by name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDkvGoUo46c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPEM-_b3eu8

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Does this mean the volkswagen routan isn't coming back :ohdear:

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Powershift posted:

Hopefully ford has time to react to the new weight of the camaro, and throws every bit of aluminum and CF they can at that beast.

GT350R + air con and stereo added back in ends up at $64,370. $170 more than the BMW M4.

I looked at that price for the M4 and was like "that can't be right, wonder how much one is here in Kangarooland?" $180k. Go Australia Tax

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I found two things today! The first is a pic of a new Demio/2 that I took a few months back, and the other is the most insane post on miata.net.

Guy says he thinks that the ND will be faster than the NC but not significantly faster. His definition is 2-3 seconds on a 60 second road course.

I hate everything and everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

oRenj9 posted:

Honestly, it doesn't matter how well it performs. I can afford a base GT350, which is not something that can be said about three of those options. Plus, it probably revs to something like 8500 RPMs.

That being said, the performance might not be so much better than the 2016 SS to justify the costs, especially if the Camaro ends up being 3600 lbs.

The GT350 will most likely smoke the new SS because it's a whole level above it. Ford will have really hosed up if it doesn't anyway. I'm sure Chevrolet will have an answer for it, but it'll probably be a couple years.