Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Mega-quote post incoming...

Taco Box posted:

:negative: No wonder I couldn't break 188 on the scale. That would be my nightly take, minimum. gently caress, so I was breaking the budget and breaking the diet. Good job, idiot.
Alcoholic drinks, anything but straight liquor, are calorie dense as hell. It's surprising how many calories you can pack down in an afternoon of drinking. I try to keep beer and pop at a minimum, I don't want to end up with a beer gut like everyone I work with.

1500quidporsche posted:

Gave the pack to a coworker. Waste of $15 but I want to quit. Hopefully that wasn't too much of a setback.
:hfive: Consider it a $15 reminder. At first I thought your meant a 6-pack of beer or something, that's some stupid expensive tobacco.

QuarkMartial posted:

Posting from a renaissance fair....

Turkey legs and titties. So many titties.
I haven't been to a renaissance fair in years. I think last time I went I couldn't even legally drink. Spent the whole day watching blacksmiths, sword fighting, horse races, jousting and titties.

Wrar posted:

When I was in Europe last year I was surprised at the number of people who smoke, especially younger people.

You'd think they would, y'know, not, given how straight up terrible it is for you.
This surprised the hell out of me when I was over there. Everyone smokes and all outdoor seating has ashtrays. That and the general body odor took a while to get used to.

InitialDave posted:

I don't even have a TV now. Haven't for a while, and didn't really watch much when I did.

Get yourself a project car or seven.
Project cars because who needs free time?

some texas redneck posted:

So if anyone needs any rain... come get it. Seriously. This is getting old.
That rain needs to get the gently caress out of Texas. We're racing in College Station this weekend. 88 cars at a track we've never been on, I would really prefer dry conditions.

Tusen Takk posted:

is that what the kids are calling it nowadays? :pervert:
Sure ;) Had ice cream, went and met her horse and had a really nice afternoon. Planning a repeat but I'll be in Texas this weekend and North Carolina next weekend.

Then raced to the other side of town to jump on a coworkers boat and go cruise around on the lake for a couple hours. Get back to the dock as it starts sprinkling, back in car and start it as it starts pouring.

Didn't end up getting to see Mad Max again but other than that great weekend but holy poo poo am I tired. Might see if I can find a theater in College Station and take Dad to see Mad Max Thursday night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I just read in the gbs thread the bluray will have different versions of the film, like an orchestral version and a black and white version so I thought cool!

I'll need a bluray player then.

They're higher res right? I'll need a bigger tv, and speakers.

Damnit.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

CharlesM posted:

What was the point of that movie. Uhhhhh what are you guys smoking? Inhaling chrome?

:mediocre:

Fast cars, huge and superb action, a masterclass on "show, dont tell", screaming superchargers. You actually need more than that?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

A few contrarian nerds on my Facebook were whining about how it lacks plot and dialogue and they all got dunked on by the normal non-fedora people pointing out that it seems disjointed and lacking plot because Max is relatively insane and because of that not everything from the previous movies matches up, etc.

There's nothing not to like about the movie, whatsoever

One guy then stated and I quote "oh, see I didn't go into the movie looking for all the subtleties because it's a summer blockbuster and I don't normally watch those like I would future Oscar nominee movies" and then I deleted that shitlord

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

InitialDave posted:

I don't even have a TV now. Haven't for a while, and didn't really watch much when I did.

Get yourself a project car or seven.

I want a project cars, but i'm broke as poo poo and don't have space. I have a car i don't even use, so don't really need another.

I'm going to buy a static caravan and go full pikey. gently caress paying hundreds a month/hundreds of thousands for some small place here.

I need to move to France.

kastein posted:

Europe is much more progressive and logical about this :smug::smug: wait gently caress. No they aren't.

Smoking rates and (surprise!) Emissions standards are two areas where we actually beat europe, in some cases by a huge margin.

Obviously we can have lower emissions standards because so many Europeans smoke and voluntarily inhale toxic poo poo!

The Locator posted:

This is purely speculation, as each charge has it's own "acceptable" billing rate and it probably varies between insurance companies, but I got a hospital bill that came to $23k. The insurance dropped it to about $4500 and then pays 80% after my deductible. I believe I had a $500 deductible at the time, some of which had already been met that year, so the insurance paid about $3k and I paid my max out of pocket for the year which was $1500.

Wait, what? You have insurance, you pay your deductible, and they still hold you liable for some percentage of the bill? Well how does that work, that totally defeats the entire point of having insurance.

Your healthcare system is hosed up. If i do ever move to the US like i want to, i'll be very glad to retain British citizenship so good ol' Blightly can pay for that poo poo.

14 INCH SLIT posted:

So a good buddy of mine thought he could try to make an offensive joke about my ex getting plowed by a literal train of guys at rehab yesterday, and was unable to believe that someone who laughs off everything ad jokes about everything like me actually had a line to cross.

Friends like these..

I've had the same with some (former) friends. I can say my ex is a crazy bitch, i know the whole story. They don't, not their place to talk poo poo. Also, like you said, clossing lines. Not cool.

Enourmo posted:

gently caress toxic friends, they're not really there for you, just for what you can give for them, and as soon as you dig your heels in and demand some equity they throw you under the loving bus or flat out turn violent because you're no longer kowtowing to their whims.

I learned that one the hard way.

Also gently caress anyone who refuses to apologize when confronted and accuse you of having thin skin, that's the surest sign of a piece of poo poo right there.

100% this.

In my experience no-one fucks you over like close friends.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

NitroSpazzz posted:

the general body odor took a while to get used to.

It's still better than perfuming and deodorizing the hell out of everything. Goddamn it's bad with American consultants sometimes.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

88h88 posted:

Upthread dude says he pays $70 on insurance, I pay something like $200 in national insurance contributions out of my wages every month but it disappears before I actually have it paid to me. I'm assuming Oz has similar if not the same?

I'm happy to pay more if only to completely avoid a loving bill for $35k coming through my door for a few night's stay in a hospital. I love that I'm able to break a foot mountainbiking, go to the hospital and sit down to see someone, get checked over by a doctor, get an x-ray, get strapped up and then leave without having to deal with anything other than giving my name... Zero stress.

America seems to hate the people that live there. How on earth did you even end up with such a lovely system??

You know how 1% of the population controls 90%+ of the wealth? America never had the guillotine, but nows a good time as any to get started.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Saw Fury Road last night. So loving good.

The theater wasn't loud enough. They could have easily doubled the volume and it would have been great.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Phone posted:

You know how 1% of the population controls 90%+ of the wealth? America never had the guillotine, but nows a good time as any to get started.

As long as morons believe fox news and the tea party, this hosed up system will continue.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
God drat tim hortons. I need to figure out their cream/sugar system better. I order a large coffee yesterday with 1 cream and its tan as hell. I order the same thing today but with "half the amount of one cream" and it looks the same. Youre messing up my diet timmy hos! :argh:

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Cage posted:

God drat tim hortons. I need to figure out their cream/sugar system better. I order a large coffee yesterday with 1 cream and its tan as hell. I order the same thing today but with "half the amount of one cream" and it looks the same. Youre messing up my diet timmy hos! :argh:

I wonder how long it will be before the Canadian flag is changed from a maple leaf to the Tim Hortons logo?

They do a loving excellent chicken pannini. Last time i was in Canada i ate many of them.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Am I the only Canadian that hates Tim Horton's?

Their coffee has always tasted burnt to me.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

CharlesM posted:

What was the point of that movie. Uhhhhh what are you guys smoking? Inhaling chrome?

One part of that movie is George miller saying "gently caress you Hollywood, thus is how you make an action movie"

One part of it is a masterclass in "show don't tell" plot development.

The third part is a loving double decker Cadillac on 60" duallys with two twin turbo engines.

Tim Horton's coffee has nicotine in it.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 26, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cage posted:

It depends on who's working, poo poo is never consistent. It's the same with McDonald's and their coffee, once after I got an iced coffee that was stark white with about 60% cream I just loving gave up and started buying the Starbucks bottled iced coffee.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Mooseykins posted:

I want a project cars, but i'm broke as poo poo and don't have space.

Snap. Currently trying to rectify both of these by moving somewhere cheaper and with a large drive/garage. Damnit I have speakers to build and cars to play with.

Phone posted:

It just makes me sad to read all this poo poo, a friend I've known forever since the early days of the internet had a kid and they've gotten a bill for something dumb like $40k that insurance refuses to pay and it's just hanging over their heads. It's so loving dumb.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

88h88 posted:

Upthread dude says he pays $70 on insurance, I pay something like $200 in national insurance contributions out of my wages every month but it disappears before I actually have it paid to me. I'm assuming Oz has similar if not the same?

I'm happy to pay more if only to completely avoid a loving bill for $35k coming through my door for a few night's stay in a hospital. I love that I'm able to break a foot mountainbiking, go to the hospital and sit down to see someone, get checked over by a doctor, get an x-ray, get strapped up and then leave without having to deal with anything other than giving my name... Zero stress.

America seems to hate the people that live there. How on earth did you even end up with such a lovely system??

We are what happens when you grant corporations the right to have political views and contribute freely to politicians. A government bought and paid for by big business, from the campaign fund to the lobbyist to the post-service cushy executive position in exchange for porkbarrel spending.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 26, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Liquid Communism posted:

We are what happens when you grant corporations the right to have political views and contribute freely to politicians. A government bought and paid for by big business, from the campaign fund to the lobbyist to the post-service cushy executive position in exchange for porkbarrel spending.

BUT THE DEBT! THE NATIONAL DEBT! RAR!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Just saw a work truck with a little chalkboard taped up in the back window that said "Single Parenthood: the liberal disease that destroyed America"

Glad to know my mom helped to destroy this country by working 3 jobs and making sure I got a good education :thumbsup:

Can we just launch the nukes already? I'm getting tired of praying for a rogue meteor.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

BUT THE DEBT! THE NATIONAL DEBT! RAR!

Seriously, it's both sides of the aisle too. John McCain, former Republican presidential hopeful recently slipped in a rider on a must-pass National Defense Authorization Act to grant 2400 acres of Tonto National Forest's Apache sacred ancestral lands including Apache Leap to Rio Tinto for 'block cave' pit mining. Which will, as an aside, lead to massive subsidiences and destroy the water table supporting the forest.

Mind you, Rio Tinto is also engaged elsewhere in the world in a uranium mining venture in Namibia that is 15% owned by the Iranian government, so quite the questionable company to be getting perks from Congress. This bill's been shot down on it's own for over a decade, and sticking it in as a footnote on a must pass bill is the only way it could have gotten passed at all.

So yeah, welcome to the US. If you don't mind, I'll be over here wishing that building monsterous vehicles and engaging in ultraviolence was effective political discourse.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Liquid Communism posted:

Mind you, Rio Tinto is also engaged elsewhere in the world in a uranium mining venture in Namibia that is 15% owned by the Iranian government, so quite the questionable company to be getting perks from Congress. This bill's been shot down on it's own for over a decade, and sticking it in as a footnote on a must pass bill is the only way it could have gotten passed at all.

If only someone had the nuts to pass line item veto into law.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I think the grand standing and show boating really came about with the social media. I followed politics for a while, and I remember the Clinton debacle, but its been nothing like this for the past 5 years.

Edit: enough of D&D, i have been looking at bicycles, how do Trek bikes stand up?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

1500quidporsche posted:

Nope.
It used to be good, until like...6? 7? Years ago. Scuttlebutt has it that they switched suppliers for their beans and/or roasting. At the same time, McDonald's coffee got way better. Same Scuttlebutt says that McD's took over Tim's old supplier/roaster.
I don't know if its true, but it sure tastes like it. Either way, Tim's coffee is poo poo, and I only drink it on road trips when Tim's is just 100% easier than anything else.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

1500quidporsche posted:

I am not Canadian but Timmies are everywhere in michigan and I hate their burnt poo poo rear end coffee

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Tims still tastes good in america, and mcdonalds still tastes bad. I dont know why they started selling bags of it in grocery stores.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Guys, why does this tempt me?

This seems like a terrible idea, but a tempting terrible idea.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
My mom liked fury road, so everyone should.

I do have one question though: this clearly takes place in Australia, so what the gently caress was with all the steering wheels being on the left side of the car?
Did the war end with a drop of classic american cars from America?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
A friend saw this over the weekend, which is apparently somewhat local.

All I can say is :stare:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Edit: enough of D&D, i have been looking at bicycles, how do Trek bikes stand up?

Mass-produced but well built and decent spec for the cash... You can't actually go spectacularly wrong with any major manufacturer these days. Some bikes are better than others but none are baaaaaad.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Streetlight Manifesto is coming to town this Saturday. I kinda want to go but I also kind of don't.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Get out to my car after work, flat tyre boo :(
All the kit I need is nearly laid out in the boot yay :)
Spare is low boo :(
There's a screw right in the middle of the tread, easily fixed yay :)
No, the inner sidewall is ruined and literally as stiff as a moist rag, it must have been going flat as I got into work. Boo :(

But they did have a matching one in stock, only £66 yay :( :homebrew:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Mooseykins posted:

I want a project cars, but i'm broke as poo poo and don't have space. I have a car i don't even use, so don't really need another.

I'm going to buy a static caravan and go full pikey. gently caress paying hundreds a month/hundreds of thousands for some small place here.

I need to move to France.

Obviously we can have lower emissions standards because so many Europeans smoke and voluntarily inhale toxic poo poo!

Wait, what? You have insurance, you pay your deductible, and they still hold you liable for some percentage of the bill? Well how does that work, that totally defeats the entire point of having insurance.

Your healthcare system is hosed up. If i do ever move to the US like i want to, i'll be very glad to retain British citizenship so good ol' Blightly can pay for that poo poo.

Friends like these..

I've had the same with some (former) friends. I can say my ex is a crazy bitch, i know the whole story. They don't, not their place to talk poo poo. Also, like you said, clossing lines. Not cool.

100% this.

In my experience no-one fucks you over like close friends.
Honestly if you want the best of both worlds, move to Oz or NZ. Oz especially is a nice even blend of the U.S. and British cultures with some unique flavours

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

nm posted:

My mom liked fury road, so everyone should.

I do have one question though: this clearly takes place in Australia, so what the gently caress was with all the steering wheels being on the left side of the car?
Did the war end with a drop of classic american cars from America?

When they are driving through the valley there is a burned out station wagon pictured at the very edge of the frame. The brake booster on the firewall is on the right (passenger) side.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Didn't he get into the right hand side of the interceptor? Seems there's a mix.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Max Max was fuuuuuuuuuucking aweeeeeeeeeeeeeeesome. Definitely gonna see it again at some point before it's out of the theater.

I kept thinking "He looks so familiar" watching any scene with Nux, and then I looked him up and poo poo, it's the dude who played Beast in the last two X-Men movies. He's cool and (Mad Max spoilers ahead) stayed alive WAY longer than I thought he would, from when he first started using Max as his blood bag.

Oddly enough, the only thing I wished for was some more gore. It was pretty tame from that perspective. Then again, maybe I'm just a weirdo.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Cakefool posted:

Get out to my car after work, flat tyre boo :(
All the kit I need is nearly laid out in the boot yay :)
Spare is low boo :(
There's a screw right in the middle of the tread, easily fixed yay :)
No, the inner sidewall is ruined and literally as stiff as a moist rag, it must have been going flat as I got into work. Boo :(

But they did have a matching one in stock, only £66 yay :( :homebrew:

I hope when you had to pay you whipped out your cash and made it rain.

Tusen Takk posted:

Honestly if you want the best of both worlds, move to Oz or NZ. Oz especially is a nice even blend of the U.S. and British cultures with some unique flavours

I've looked into France, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.

If i spoke French i would've move to France years ago, it's about a million times better than Grim Britain in every way except using kilometres and driving on the wrong side of the road. (crazy fools!)

Canada i looked into the most, and am still toying with the idea of moving there. I can get a working holiday visa, or get a visa as an eligible skilled worker (qaulified mechanic), orrrr i could marry my crazy ex and get in pretty easily. (Obviously not the best idea.)

Apparently i can't take my car or van with me to Australia, so that's a definite no for me. New Zealand, i dunno, don't know a great deal about it but it does look kinda awesome.

Ahh, who am i kidding? I'm too broke to move anywhere.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Mooseykins posted:

Canada i looked into the most, and am still toying with the idea of moving there. I can get a working holiday visa, or get a visa as an eligible skilled worker (qaulified mechanic), orrrr i could marry my crazy ex and get in pretty easily. (Obviously not the best idea.)

My wife moved with me back to Canada (lived in Leicester before), and now about 3 years later she says she loves Canada way more than lovely England.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

MustardFacial posted:

My wife moved with me back to Canada (lived in Leicester before), and now about 3 years later she says she loves Canada way more than lovely England.

I bet she does, it's loving grim here, with no prospects for a lot of people.

I'm just (still) in a position where i can't afford to change much, but hoping that my current business/job pays off enough in the next year or two that i can relocate to green pastures.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Looks like i'm probably gonna see Mad Max again this week, this time in 2D rather than 3D. Girl I know was asking me how it was and said she's been wanting to go see it so I offered to take her one night this week since it got held over :v:

I'm pretty sure I could rewatch Fury Road forever and never get bored of it.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

Mooseykins posted:

I bet she does, it's loving grim here, with no prospects for a lot of people.

I'm just (still) in a position where i can't afford to change much, but hoping that my current business/job pays off enough in the next year or two that i can relocate to green pastures.

Legit offer - I can't promise a job, but I can get you names to throw resumes at if you want to work as a mechanic in the mining industry. This applies for anyone wanting to relocate to bumfuck nowhere (albeit beautiful) country in Ontario. Companies are always looking for qualified mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Mine is now 15 years old, I've put maybe $500 into fixing it, and it has hauled my fat rear end from 400 lbs to 200 lbs, back up to 300lb, and coming back down. Its not the lightest, or the sexiest, but jesus christ I have treated that thing like Kastein treats his jeeps and it has never quit on me. I have no clue if they are still as good, but damnit if I'm not happy with mine.

• Locked thread